• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my favorite running gag of the season is everyone eating Kraft grated parmesan with mustard. I love when God pulls back the covers of his bed and they're just sitting there on the bed.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, what the fuck. That was so weird. I meant to post about it earlier, but then I forgot. Mustard and Parmesan? It's like a totally normal thing in the family. When Maeby did it later in the season, I died.

Yeah, what the fuck. That was so weird. I meant to post about it earlier, but then I forgot. Mustard and Parmesan? It's like a totally normal thing in the family. When Maeby did it later in the season, I died.

I thought it started because that was all that was left in the model house.

Zeppu

The best part from the model home for me was GM's "Everything's so backwards" comment and then he opens the fridge which is on the opposite side of where we're used to it.

strobogo

Banned
Terry Crews doesn't get enough love (lol) in this thread. He was awesome in every scene. The great American scallop! The great American ocean! Red snapper! High-Low. That is one redhead I do not want to have sexual relations with!

cacophony

did anyone else notice more hints at Tobias possibly being black/half black

ninja please (I think Gob said that too in one of the last episodes)
and Linsday saying Herbert Love reminded her of Tobias when they first started dating

anything else?

Terry Crews doesn't get enough love (lol) in this thread. He was awesome in every scene. The great American scallop! The great American ocean! Red snapper! High-Low. That is one redhead I do not want to have sexual relations with!

Yeah, he was great. I love the hell out of the "The great American scallop!" and "Red snapper".

Metacritic's gone down to 70 now too. I never put too much stock into MC, but I can see that going up as is the forumla of this show. The question is, will people stick through to the end, or rewatch it?

I'm mid-way through my second rewatch and it's so much better. (And I loved it the first time.) I really hope everyone - especially critics - gives it a second watch.

My suggestion for a rewatch is to watch the full character arcs one at a time. Pick a character, watch their episode(s), and then move to the next character. It works extremely well this way.

Covfan

I liked the few Modern Family references, like the script for "21st Century Family" in the Imagine offices and Gob and Michael asking if each other were going out with Julie Bowen. I think there were a few more as well.

Cptkrush

I liked the few Modern Family references, like the script for "21st Century Family" in the Imagine offices and Gob and Michael asking if each other were going out with Julie Bowen. I think there were a few more as well.

Perfecto spots the kids from Modern Family at the Opies

RwdHAhB.jpg

Forget Portia de Rossi, what happened here?

and Linsday saying Herbert Love reminded her of Tobias when they first started dating

anything else?
I think Lindsay was referencing Tobias' 'interest' in muscular black men. He has a type...

Coop

anything else?

I'm pretty sure there was hints in the previous seasons too. I thought it was going to be revealed that Hebert love was Tobias' brother.

Iksenpets

Banned

anything else?

He says his middle name is Onyango when signing the release for Michael. I think that's about as close to confirmation as we've gotten.

j-wood

I just watched episode five. Holy hell, the ending was hysterical.

"There's a raccoon in the backyard!"

*with a grin* "Bullshit!"

I nearly died.

strobogo

Banned
I just watched episode five. Holy hell, the ending was hysterical.

"There's a raccoon in the backyard!"

*with a grin* "Bullshit!"

I nearly died.

It was great because it was such a bizarre reaction. Like Tobias was just amazed with racoons and couldn't believe there was one outside. So good. Also great that the staff knew it would work.

I think Lindsay was referencing Tobias' 'interest' in muscular black men. He has a type...
They confirmed a long time ago that one of the threads they never got to do since the show got cancelled was Tobias being black.

The green screen stuff wouldn't bother me if they made fun of it. Maybe they did and I missed it

I need to watch the scene again but as I've asked/talked about a few times already, I think the scene where Tobias and GOB are eating lunch together at the table is shot as if it were green-screened, but they're actually both there. Even if they aren't both there at the same time, the mustard slide is a totally in-your-face callout to the green screening of actors that aren't both there at the same time.

Edit:
George Sr. says something along the lines of "Sit over there or it will look weird" to Oscar. Does that count?

Also, this.

I just rewatched the lunch scene from episode 11 and while I still can't tell if they're both there at the same time, or both there at a table in front of a green screen and not actually in the house, or if they're both in the house but at different times so they were composited in together, that entire sequence is a HUGE lampooning of them green screening people in. There's even a shot where the two are talking to each other from separate angles shown side-by-side with a white divider down the middle of the screen, and then the two angles cut to side-shots so it's the entire table with a white cut down the center, where they would have composited them together.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just hit episode 3 and am loving how they used nearly everyone from the show "Outsourced." That show was a guilty pleasure.

kirblar

anything else?
You didn't notice his very "traditional african" middle name? :p edit: beaten (and adjusted to use a much better term)

Bear

I thought he was easily the best new character, they gave him great material to work with and he nailed the performance. Lindsay's best story arc started when Love came into the picture.

I haven't seen anyone complain about him, so maybe that's a sort of a silent love.

big ander

What episode?

Write the joke please.

Maeby ep. Real estate agent office (whose staff Tobias also enlisted as his acting agent) calls to say the house is being foreclosed, and as Maeby hangs up you hear the person on the other end also mention something along the lines of "also tell Tobias he got a callback for something called 'The Big Bang Theory'"

Fry

Maeby ep. Real estate agent office (whose staff Tobias also enlisted as his acting agent) calls to say the house is being foreclosed, and as Maeby hangs up you hear the person on the other end also mention something along the lines of "also tell Tobias he got a callback for something called 'The Big Bang Theory'"

:lol awesome.

Now I want him guest starring. It would be brilliant.

Speaking of the real estate agent, has anyone been able to figure out what Maeby is drawing on his marker board?

It looks like a guy and a campfire. I dunno. I can't make it out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is that the dude from Community?

I'm going to need more here. :p
My ears were burning.

Dani Pudi cameo'd in an episode of CougarTown a few seasons ago when the two main characters from CT did a cameo in the season finale of Community. Not as their actual characters, just as background extras that were there to get people talking.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He has an episode where he talks about winning a trip to be an extra in Cougar Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75UKtgifF8

And not too long later he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfJYJMrYa0
Yeah, but it wasn't "Abed" in CougarTown. Because the scene he described was nothing from the show. It was just Dani Pudi getting a cameo like the other two characters getting their own cameo. Basically a trade of sorts for each show's season finale. It would have been a mind blower if they actually planned it out and the scene he described actually was the scene he was in. He didn't "poop his pants" in CT. He overheard the characters talking about cheap tickets and ran off to get some.

Yeah, but it wasn't "Abed" in CougarTown. Because the scene he described was nothing from the show. It was just Dani Pudi getting a cameo like the other two characters getting their own cameo. Basically a trade of sorts for each show's season finale. It would have been a mind blower if they actually planned it out and the scene he described actually was the scene he was in. He didn't "poop his pants" in CT. He overheard the characters talking about cheap tickets and ran off to get some.

He still acts like he described in Community though, just with different actors on set.

blamite

Speaking of cameos, are the guy and girl at the desk of Lucielle's prison from something? I feel like I recognize them from a show but I can't place it.

Also what's the doctor Tobias takes DeBrie to from? I'm sure this is super obvious but I can't place his face.

I should probably just something this

Fry

My ears were burning.

Dani Pudi cameo'd in an episode of CougarTown a few seasons ago when the two main characters from CT did a cameo in the season finale of Community. Not as their actual characters, just as background extras that were there to get people talking.

He has an episode where he talks about winning a trip to be an extra in Cougar Town.

And not too long later he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfJYJMrYa0

Haha, pretty cool. I'd never know that since I don't watch both shows. :p

But yes, imagine Tobias interacting with Sheldon. It would be sooo good.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He still acts like he described in Community though, just with different actors on set.
He's simply listening in on their conversation and reacting to it. When he jumps up, he's not pooping his pants suddenly. He's running off to get tickets she was talking about.

Abed in Community described a totally different scene. He was not walking in the background. Courtney Cox isn't anywhere around. This is not Abed being Chad. It's Dani Pudi being a bystand--bysitter. Just like the two characters at Greendale celebrating their winning aren't Travis and Laurie, but rather just extras.

It was all just a thank you from each show's creator for referencing each other.

He's simply listening in on their conversation and reacting to it. When he jumps up, he's not pooping his pants suddenly. He's running off to get tickets she was talking about.

Abed in Community described a totally different scene. He was not walking in the background. Courtney Cox isn't anywhere around. This is not Abed being Chad. It's Dani Pudi being a bystand--bysitter. Just like the two characters at Greendale celebrating their winning aren't Travis and Laurie, but rather just extras.

It was all just a thank you from each show's creator for referencing each other.

It has layers, man :p

One of my favourite aspects of the season were the extended scenes that took place over a bunch of episodes

• Like when everyone was at Lucille's house after she's released and each character is being revealed (Ann is hiding in the corner, it's also George Micheals birthday, etc)
  • The freeway story that just got deeper and deeper over 3 episodes
  • The negotiating between George Sr. and Micheal over his rights

I really hope people start compiling videos of these sequences in order.

Bacon

I'm mid-way through my second rewatch and it's so much better. (And I loved it the first time.) I really hope everyone - especially critics - gives it a second watch.

My suggestion for a rewatch is to watch the full character arcs one at a time. Pick a character, watch their episode(s), and then move to the next character. It works extremely well this way.
Love this idea, excited to try!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I just realized that if there is a trial or something, Michael won't remember what he did with Lucille 2 and Sally Sitwell saw him talking with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom