• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 cents: This season wasn't as funny or enjoyable as other seasons, and the first few episodes were difficult to get over, but it definitely gets going and comes together great at the end (before the bad punch ending).

Wish Lucille had more opportunities to interact with/deceive/make fun of the family more instead of simply scheming with George.

Yesssssssss. Make it happy Hurwitz.

I know the finale made it seem like a movie was the next step but fuck that. Give me 15 more episodes. With the streaming success maybe they can entice the cast to flex their schedules more to film the next season together. Either way I'd much rather have 8 hours worth of AD than a measly 2.

Do it BBC style. 6 episodes. Full cast. No Bluthscreen.

edit:
OMFG HERE WE GO:
http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/tv-review-seitz-on-arrested-development.html

SEITZZZZZZ

Slacker

I would hope that with season 5 we can hit the ground running in the present time, as there won't be the "Great Dark Period" they needed to address in season 4. Easy peasy.

Calvarok

Banned
960017_4876145508718_1488457598_n.jpg

Captchas are awesome now

This was posted yesterday from another website, as the Netflix CEO was interviewed yesterday morning, but good to see it floating around.

As for new episodes from this point, The cast have all said they had a blast doing this, and made it feel like old times, especially the two days they all got together. Now that they have a definite place of funding, I can see all of them making themselves available a lot sooner than the almost 8 years it took last time.
Hopefully no longer than two this time :(

I'm pretty sure they said in interviews that the apartment scene was the one scene they were actually all together for.

Yea I really have to question how "obvious" some of these terrible green screen jobs are. I didn't see any, though I wasn't looking for them either. I suppose it's really confirmation bias at work. Too busy enjoying the show I guess *shrug*

Also pissed at the number of critics refusing to watch the whole season before writing reviews. Normally this would bite Netflix in the ass for not sending out review copies, but since Netflix has all the viewing data and trends that anyone could want they don't really HAVE to rely on the reviews for press and interest gauging. It really is a unique situation, the internet TV industry, and anything that deprecates the stupid Nielsen system is fine by me.

Yea I really have to question how "obvious" some of these terrible green screen jobs are. I didn't see any, though I wasn't looking for them either. I suppose it's really confirmation bias at work. Too busy enjoying the show I guess *shrug*

It was really bad in Episode #2 when they're crawling into the sweat lodge, but other than that it wasn't that big of a distraction.

The overdubbing was even worse. Some actors were better at making it feel natural than others (Tobias was probably the worst)
David Cross was always the worst at ADR, although I always thought it made the "Nice to be back in a queen" line from season two even funnier.

Also pissed at the number of critics refusing to watch the whole season before writing reviews. Normally this would bite Netflix in the ass for not sending out review copies, but since Netflix has all the viewing data and trends that anyone could want they don't really HAVE to rely on the reviews for press and interest gauging. It really is a unique situation, the internet TV industry, and anything that deprecates the stupid Nielsen system is fine by me.

I didn't notice Barry was Green Screened until neogaf. Obviously the first shot of the Desert was as bad as it got, but after that, wasn't bad or anything.

I agree the critics should have waited until watching all episodes to review any of them, as my opinion on the earlier ones certainly changed by the time I watched the later ones.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not finished with the season yet so I'm avoiding spoilers, but I felt compelled to come in and say that Lindsay has had such a ridiculous amount of work done on her face that she's distracting as hell. I just stare at her, trying to mentally envision her face as one that belongs to a human.

Other than that this has been fucking hilarious and very well-written. I love how everything ties together when it originally felt like it would be a bunch of very separate episodes.

I'm not finished with the season yet so I'm avoiding spoilers, but I felt compelled to come in and say that Lindsay has had such a ridiculous amount of work done on her face that she's distracting as hell. I just stare at her, trying to mentally envision her face as one that belongs to a human.

Other than that this has been fucking hilarious and very well-written. I love how everything ties together when it originally felt like it would be a bunch of very separate episodes.

Not a spoiler, but about Lindsay's look.

She starts looking normal halfway through the season. I don't know what sequence it was all shot in, but after a certain point, she starts looking like she did in season 3.

She actually looks a lot like Christine Taylor (Sally Sitwell) to me in the first episodes.

Zeppu

Only green screens which are immediately obvious are barry in the sailor outfit and the first sweat lodge in the desert.

Socreges

Banned
I personally didn't care. They were a necessary evil.

But I honestly find it shocking that someone wouldn't notice certain instances, like the aforementioned sweat lodge. Zuckercorn at the maritime office also looked ridiculous. There are other examples, but I was actually impressed at how well it was done for the most part.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Every show uses green screens. If you're looking to be pissed every time you can spot one you're going to live a pretty rough life. It's the world we live in now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhN1STep_zk

Bonus: is that Egg at 0:30?

Yeah no shit. Most of them are not as noticeable as AD's.

It's the wig, which pushes her hairline up. Kind of alarming how many people go to the Plastic Surgery card. No one accused Cera of it even though his head looks like a fuckin' Madballs version of its former self.

Because he didn't look like he had plastic surgery. He just looked scary. See: Oswald Cobblepot.

EDIT: Added an important "NOT" in there. :p

It's the wig, which pushes her hairline up. Kind of alarming how many people go to the Plastic Surgery card. No one accused Cera of it even though his head looks like a fuckin' Madballs version of its former self.

Yep. Looks pretty damn good with the short hair though. Also kinda funny they put Steve Holt in the Bald Cap.

Sober

The over-reliance on narration was probably because they had decided to jump to 2012 (?) from the S3 finale so they had to cover a lot of that period.

Timeline was kinda confusing for the adult characters though, I really only really understood everyone else's misadventures in the context of Maebe and George Michael because they were still in school and not running off for what seemed like an undisclosed amount of time.

Maybe it was just me but it was like Queen Mary incident -> characters meet up in the penthouse -> go their ways, find a reason not to be at Lucille's trial -> Lucille's house arrest/bunch of stuff inbetween because of that -> The Wall/Herbert Love/Fakeblock business about a few months prior -> the night of Cinqo de Cuatro

edit: I still don't really have a full grasp of Michael's timeline unless most of it was actually spent on Sudden Valley for those 5 years.

Socreges

Banned
Are you being serious? She's definitely had work done on her face. Cera just aged strangely.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah no shit. Most of them are not as noticeable as AD's.
And most of them actually have a hundred million dollar budget to make it look unnoticeable. AD does not.

The only green screen I really noticed was the strange perspective and scaling of the sweat lodge view from the outside. Especially after seeing it later and how big it actually was. But after that I didn't care and nothing stuck out. I don't let these small things get to me though.

strobogo

Banned
I keep looking at before and after pictures of Portia, but I can't figure out what she did besides "make me look less Italian, please". I thought she looked hot as balls once she had the short hair, though.

And most of them actually have a hundred million dollar budget to make it look unnoticeable. AD does not.

The only green screen I really noticed was the strange perspective and scaling of the sweat lodge view from the outside. Especially after seeing it later and how big it actually was. But after that I didn't care and nothing stuck out. I don't let these small things get to me though.

The first one with the bad green screen wasn't the one that they bought from Egg/Gob. It was Oscar's and inspired George Sr. to buy the bigger one after doing a Something search.

The more I watch, the more I like it.

AD was always a 'pace' show. It's very quick, and first watches are generally the least rewarding until you get into AD mode. There's definitely a few more misses in these episodes than we're used to, but there's some pretty nifty stuff going on.

i enjoyed s4 but don't know if i have the heart for a rewatch right away. the difference to the first two seasons - i rewatched them 2 -3 times close to its original run because it was that funny to me. the added bonus was catching a few extra jokes here and there. i watched them because i enjoyed them, not because it was a requirement like it is for this season, which caters to the core fan.

the experimental bits are appreciated this season but if the script isn't as strong (or maybe the novelty isn't there anymore) it feels like a bit of a drag to go and rewatch it

The whole season is about what happens to the Bluths when they distance themselves from each other. It's why I can't wait for more to see how they all wind up back together. I hated the end of episode 15 to begin with, but after watching everything again, even with not liking as few episodes as much, I can appreciate them so much more now. Just like the old seasons there's so much going on, and I like that aspect as returned as well.

I don't even know what episode used green screen. Was it really as bad as people are saying or were you guys just trying to find things to nitpick?

I don't even know what episode used green screen. Was it really as bad as people are saying or were you guys just trying to find things to nitpick?

All episodes do, and most do it more successfully than others. There are a few standouts.

Honestly, though, I only started noticing after I read articles about the scheduling issues and stuff. I admire them for using green screens to their advantage, and not as a crutch.

I'm amazed some of you didn't notice Barry's Green screen.

I wasn't even expecting to green screen and man . . . he's just poorly composited in the shot. And made more obvious because he just spouts a bunch of random comments with no interjections--it seemed clear they filmed him afterwards and added dialog the felt was necessary for the audience even if the other characters were unable to respond to them.

I've watched up to the Maeby episode (#12 I think) which was really tight, and I'm really enjoying this after a bumpy start. All the set-ups are paying off, and the last few episodes - the Gob and Lucille episodes etc have been gold.

I'm wondering how people who didn't see the original 3 seasons are watching this because, especially at the start, it seems really dependent on having seen them and knowing the characters and jokes, it's meta as hell. To that end it feels like a series for the fans not newcomers.

The only offender I noticed because it was horrendous was Barry Zuckercorn in the white sailor suit.
That was the one I really noticed too. I thought Lucille was greenscreened in too in an earlier episode, but it was the same "scene" so it might've been Barry still, dunno.

I've watched up to the Maeby episode (#12 I think) which was right tight, and I'm really enjoying this after a bumpy start. All the set-ups are paying off, and the last few episodes - the Gob and Lucille episodes etc have been gold.

I'm wondering how people who didn't see the original 3 seasons are watching this because, especially at the start, it seems really dependent on having seen them and knowing the characters and jokes, it's meta as hell. To that end it feels like a series for the fans not newcomers.

That was the one I really noticed too. I thought Lucille was greenscreened in too in an earlier episode, but it was the same "scene" so it might've been Barry still, dunno.

Good news is, netflix has all the old seasons so catching up is super easy.

I'm on episode seven and I'm still not really enjoying this new season. It seems like it only rewards the hardcore AD fan, and I can't see anyone who hasn't repeatedly watched the original seasons enjoy this one. It's just reference after reference, none particularly funny, either.

It feels as if the writers gathered together in a room, made a list of fan-favorite moments, and recreated them in season four for no reason in particular. It's pandering. I rolled my eyes as Gob did his "sh-sh-sh-should" schtick twice in one episode, right after doing his "bees!" gag.

I'll finish the season since I consider myself a huge AD fan, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't forcing myself through it.

I'm on episode seven and I'm still not really enjoying this new season. It seems like it only rewards the hardcore AD fan, and I can't see anyone who hasn't repeatedly watched the original seasons enjoy this one. It's just reference after reference, none particularly funny, either.

It feels as if the writers gathered together in a room, made a list of fan-favorite moments, and recreated them in season four for no reason in particular. It's pandering. I rolled my eyes as Gob did his "sh-sh-sh-should" schtick twice in one episode, right after doing his "bees!" gag.

I'll finish the season since I consider myself a huge AD fan, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't forcing myself through it.

Nah. You need to finish watching the season. Aside from the beginning eps there aren't too many references to older eps. The vast majority of jokes and situations are new

This I actually agree with. It felt like an unnecessary callback, especially when this season already has its own excellent running gags.

However, I think I only feel this way because enough time has passed for it to feel like a cheap callback. The original AD seasons had plenty of gags that ran all the way through them (shoulder rubs, "her?", etc). It's just that now we're seven years on from the last AD season, those old gags feel more like references than clever continuations.

If season 4 had aired right after season 3, I don't think I would have batted an eyelid.

was that the original ann veal (Alessandra Torresani) from season 1 that george michael circles around on his segway when he's shown back at college? looks just like her.

This I actually agree with. It felt like an unnecessary callback, especially when this season already has its own excellent running gags.

However, I think I only feel this way because enough time has passed for it to feel like a cheap callback. The original AD seasons had plenty of gags that ran all the way through them (shoulder rubs, "her?", etc). It's just that now we're seven years on from the last AD season, those old gags feel more like references than clever continuations.

If season 4 had aired right after season 3, I don't think I would have batted an eyelid.

The only real problem I had with the bees gag was George (or was it oscar?) deciding to open the door. Just like . . . why would he do that? Even for beads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom