• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Small timeline connection I made just now. Haven't seen the last episode, so it might become obvious (if it wasn't already).

We see Barry Zuckerkorn outside (being defended by Bob Loblaw), explaining how he couldn't open a gate because he's too short to reach the knob on the other side. Many episodes later, we see Maeby run into Barry near the same gate. He's holding a step stool.

Small timeline connection I made just now. Haven't seen the last episode, so it might become obvious (if it wasn't already).

We see Barry Zuckerkorn outside (being defended by Bob Loblaw), explaining how he couldn't open a gate because he's too short to reach the knob on the other side. Many episodes later, we see Maeby run into Barry near the same gate. He's holding a step stool.

I think at another point we see him testing out the stool.

Tangeroo

I feel like this will be the Majora's Mask of the series. Under-appreciated by many in its time but it'll age well once people let the hype settle and begin to put the pieces together (if they give it a chance). Hurwitz and company took a lot of bold chances but I'm glad that they trust their core fans enough to roll with it.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I think at another point we see him testing out the stool.

Yeah I've finished the season and watched most of it again, did they ever say what Barry was doing? I seem to remember Maeby saying something like "So that's why he was in the locker room" but I can't remember what it actually was. Is that just a depraved Barry sex joke lol?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Yeah I've finished the season and watched most of it again, did they ever say what Barry was doing? I seem to remember Maeby saying something like "So that's why he was in the locker room" but I can't remember what it actually was. Is that just a depraved Barry sex joke lol?

He mentioned at one point about seeing into locker rooms and being on campus when Maeby was asking about if there was an age limit to being in highschool.. I think he's just perverted.. lol.

Zeppu

Two things from the Gob episode:

Click to embiggen. Reference to Rebel Alley. There's a mistake on there because George Senior hadn't started the lodge at that point. Gob hadn't even got married so the cave hadn't been sold on craiglist, etc...

Also I finally managed to read what's written on the mirror:

IS2253q.jpg

Ahahah Joe Withabee
Joe with a B, Gob

Click to embiggen. Reference to Rebel Alley. There's a mistake on there because George Senior hadn't started the lodge at that point. Gob hadn't even got married so the cave hadn't been sold on craiglist, etc...

I guess it could be argued that George Sr. started promoting his sweat lodge before he even had it up and running. That seems like the George Sr. thing to do.

It looks like they used some of the same text from the brief shot of George Sr's article in the first-class magazine. Someone's copy/paste error maybe. Having a random sentence about George Sr, who hadn't been referenced up to that point makes no sense.

jtb

Banned

Ahahah Joe Withabee
Joe with a B, Gob

hahaha "When I saw that Malick movie, you know, the one with Rebel Alley, and she says: 'Are we the same?' And I wanted to stand up from my seat and shout 'Same!' back at the screen."

big ander

I don't feel like I need any more though, S5 or a movie is not needed imo.
really? insane, the only way the ending works for me is because I've been thinking of it as a midpoint, a classic mid-act 2 lowest point. It's completely inconclusive, purposefully sets up new plots, destroys a relationship to which the audience is attached. How could you not want to see that story play out more?
Haha, I know the "something" it, just thought there might have been something else.

Also rewatched the first episode and did everybody notice the painting at the phoenix airport?

Heh yeah I noticed that on my viewing. whole story of the bluths in a mural!
oh my god is that what he's buying at the hardware store while he's on the phone?

haha holy shit. I'd connected the other two parts but not this one.

Ahahah Joe Withabee
Joe with a B, Gob
"When I saw that Malick movie, you know that one with Rebel Alley, and she says: 'Are we... the same?' I wanted to stand up from my seat and shout: 'Same!' back at the screen. Because that's what I've been saying since I was young. Same? Same!"
amazing. (edit: and beaten)

and yeah Joe Withabee made me laugh

After finishing the season I felt that the Kristen Wiig/Seth Rogen flashbacks were pretty funny simply because of the contrast in the effectiveness of their portrayals. Wiig really nailed Lucille, while Rogen looking nothing like George Sr. felt like a joke within itself.

Almost like the Beatles in Walk Hard.

SamVimes

1. Sudden Valley
  2. Stair Car
  3. GOB on Segway
  4. The yacht
  5. Ann in Mexico
  6. Log Cabin
  7. (Wee) Britain
  8. Rickshaw
  9. Queen Mary
  10. End of Development Arrested
  11. Loose Seal

What did I miss. I could've sworn I saw the banana stand.

I think on the top left of the first picture we see a Gothic Castle.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I really want them to release that painting as a digital image.

That'd look so good across my monitors.

We needed more Bob Loblaw.

Mr. F
antastic
!

I miss Mr.F
ranklin
the most. :(

1. Sudden Valley
  2. Stair Car
  3. GOB on Segway
  4. The yacht
  5. Ann in Mexico
  6. Log Cabin
  7. (Wee) Britain
  8. Rickshaw
  9. Queen Mary
  10. End of Development Arrested
  11. Loose Seal

What did I miss. I could've sworn I saw the banana stand.
In between the Log Cabin and Wee Britain is the rickshaw they took in Iraq.

Prezhulio

hmmm wonder if they are planning outtakes/dvd commentary down the road (since this is sort of uncharted territory releasing an entire season all at once on a streaming network for unlimited viewing). does netflix streaming even have a commentary capability?

for instance, i don't remember this scene at all, maybe i took a forget me now though...

arrested-development-george-michael-segway2-640x426.jpg

Mariolee

hmmm wonder if they are planning outtakes/dvd commentary down the road (since this is sort of uncharted territory releasing an entire season all at once on a streaming network for unlimited viewing). does netflix streaming even have a commentary capability?

for instance, i don't remember this scene at all, maybe i took a forget me now though...

It was during the first Michael episode I believe during the Freshman year sequence. At the end of the sequence the girl walks away and GM out of frustration gets rid of GOB's graduation gift: his segway.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

They show some of that scene in the George Michael episode.

Slacker

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/08/arrested-development-george-michael-segway2-640x426.jpg

It was in there - just a quicky narration scene during the "George Michael is getting more confident" montage. He tried and failed to impress the girl with the segway before abandoning it in frustration.

jtb

Banned

you've been roofie-circle'd

Not to be super down about the show, but has anyone else found it a real struggle to re-watch season 4?

I mean, I liked it the first time through. I definitely didn't laugh a whole lot. Probably a couple chuckles an episode at the most barring "Hello darkness," but I did enjoy the plot of it and I liked seeing what the characters were up to. That said I don't think I really care all that much for the interconnected nature of the episodes. It often felt like half the episode or more was a recap of stuff I'd already seen, and every so often there'd be an extra few seconds of the conversation.

The one place I think it did work was in the Maeby episode, so there's that. And GOB's episodes were the only ones where it got real laughs from me. I don't know.

I've rewatched the first episode 4 times (still picking up on things I missed too). I've rewatched Eps 2-4 three times. Eps 5-12 twice. Eps 13-15 once. So no I don't find it hard to rewatch. It's gotten better on rewatch actually.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/08/arrested-development-george-michael-segway2-640x426.jpg

A better example would be Tobias' "This is the sign I've been waiting for." line from the trailer.

krae_man

Heads up people I got the following email from Spoke art:

In 2012, Austin-based screen printer and artist Tim Doyle debuted his first ever solo show at Spoke Art gallery. Entitled "UnReal Estate", Tim's creative re-imagining of pop culture locations was an instant hit with our fans.

That first solo show sold out almost immediately, as did his New York Comic Con exclusive print in 2012, and (not surprisingly) Tim's second solo exhibition earlier this year.

Next week, Spoke Art will be debuting a brand new print in the series, which will actually be a perfect accompaniment to the "10 cents gets you nuts" print, pictured above.

IKWYaHQ.png

http://spoke-art.myshopify.com/collections/vendors?q=Tim+Doyle

His stuff is awesome.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm almost certain that's in there too.

He definitely didn't say that. It's revealed in a different way.

The sign itself is seen a few times, but I don't recall Tobias addessing it in the series like he did in the trailer. GOB didn't do that high kick that he did in the trailer during his Christian Magic Show either.

It's weird, the trailer had several things that weren't in the show but that smoking scene was said to be an outtake and it was in the show. :p

He definitely didn't say that. It's revealed in a different way.

It's weird, the trailer had several things that weren't in the show but that smoking scene was said to be an outtake and it was in the show. :p

I think it's an outtake in the way that it was trimmed down a bit for the show.

Slacker

I read that Mitchell was so concerned with not spoiling any surprises in the trailer that he edited it way down from where it started. Maybe he decided to pad it with a few random scenes just to fill it out a little.

Slacker

It's amusing how many running gags are not really funny in and of themselves, aside from the fact that you hear them repeatedly from different characters.

- Do a 'something' search, first said by George Michael in the first episode.
- Going to, get this, Beverly Hills. I think first said by reporter Trisha Thoon on TV.
- Hot Mess, first said by Michael about Lucille 2.

I'm sure there are a ton more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom