• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

"...It's one of my ILLUSIONS!"

Definitely agree, it's one of the best "On the next," it's one of the best trick/illusion jokes, it has a great flaming Tobias unable to get in the pool, it explains where his hair went (right?), the parallel to his wedding that he tried to avoid, such a great one

What episode was this in? I need to rematch immediately

big ander

the only other thing I hated as much as debrie was the terrible punch in the ending
this is actually one of the absolute best moments of the season and one of the best moments of the entire show. It's the perfect breaking point in a relationship that has gone from strained to parasitic over four seasons. Michael/George Michael was always something we could count on in seasons 1 to 3. even as Michael stepped on GM's attempts to talk more to his fears and weird desires, it felt like they were the most functional. In season 4 as that falls apart over years, their relationship turns toxic and the punch is a huge...well, punch to the gut. It's the collapse of the show's only constant and it sets up big things for whatever comes next. I feel like not liking the punch isn't understanding just what it means to the show and to the Bluths.
DeBrie was okay. Heartfire, Dr. Norman, and Rebel were the two best new characters from this season. Love was good, too.
enhanced-buzz-17389-1369620012-1.jpg

was awesome

ivysaur12

Banned
this is actually one of the absolute best moments of the season and one of the best moments of the entire show. It's the perfect breaking point in a relationship that has gone from strained to parasitic over four seasons. Michael/George Michael was always something we could count on in seasons 1 to 3. even as Michael stepped on GM's attempts to talk more to his fears and weird desires, it felt like they were the most functional. In season 4 as that falls apart over years, their relationship turns toxic and the punch is a huge...well, punch to the gut. It's the collapse of the show's only constant and it sets up big things for whatever comes next. I feel like not liking the punch isn't understanding just what it means to the show and to the Bluths.

was awesome

It was so fucking good. So was the punch. But so was Heartfire trying to order a drink.

Same here. I see people all the time not liking that story arc but I love everything about that arc. Plus, it has the funniest end to the arc of all the stories. And one of the best uses of "On the next AD...".

I know a lot of people disliked it because it was uncomfortable having Michael go after a mentally retarded person. But as someone who puts Sunny and Happy Endings on a list of favorite comedies, awful people please me.

Salsa

was awesome

no, you got it wrong, I think concept of the punch is great and a perfect ending for the reasons you say, I just think the execution and fakeness of it was terrible.

So terrible that it makes me think they made it bad with that sound effect in purpose, but it still doesnt work for me

I know a lot of people disliked it because it was uncomfortable having Michael go after a mentally retarded person. But as someone who puts Sunny and Happy Endings on a list of favorite comedies, awful people please me.

My only real complaint is that I feel like that arc took too many episodes (compared to most of Michale's relationships which are like, 2-3 eps tops.)

I remember watching season 3 with my girlfriend. She said, "oh, I think Rita is retarded!" I told her no way.

It was probably because of her British accent and, well, it's Charlize Theron.

Okay, after disliking the first half of the season, I have to say its really, REALLY cool how all these stories intersect and suddenly make a ton of sense. Who would have guessed that all that dumb ostrich stuff would actually have an explanation.

It's actually a impressive and ingenious use of the medium. Seeing these same events from multiple angles (and seeing the continuation of scenes) is such a neat experience. Two episodes to go.

Slacker

I loved how when the ostrich attacked Lucille 2 she said something like "No! Bad chicken!" Yet another person on this show who has never seen a chicken. :)

big ander

no, you got it wrong, I think concept of the punch is great and a perfect ending for the reasons you say, I just think the execution and fakeness of it was terrible.

So terrible that it makes me think they made it bad with that sound effect in purpose, but it still doesnt work for me
Ohh hah my bad. It did seem weirdly presented, sure. I think they tried really hard to have Michael and GM literally separated by a wall, may have made the blocking weird.
She was murdered.
was she though?

cLOUDo

finish the season...
was great, better than 3rd at least
after that ending has to be a fifth season
make it happen Netflix

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Has anyone got a gif of Argyle's amazing tap dance threat to Michael?

The whole Fantastic Four arc is amazing. "Am I crazy or is this really good?" David Cross absolutely nails the little details like "oh honey" or the little bursts of excitement on his face.

I also love that he quotes the musical while threatening Michael.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
She was murdered.

She disappeared, we don't know if she was murdered. I know we see what looks like her corpse but given the number of weird dummies we've seen over he course of the show (heck we see a Lucille 2 dummy right at the end) who knows where they'll go with it.

The only thing I'm sure of is that none of the Bluths will have actually murdered her. That would be too much.

cacophony

does anyone else think there was already a deal on the table for S5 or a movie during production? I can't imagine them ending it like that without having some sort of assurance they could continue it

ps I totally missed this :

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Okay so I'm gonna voice one thing that bothered me about the season:

Everybody looked different!

But it's not the people you think! Maeby, Lindsay, even GM didn't bother me that much. What bothered me was Tobias, George Sr and Oscar, Lucille, and even Michael a little.

I think one factor is the fact that they had to play themselves from 6 years ago.

Lindsay's looking different as younger her I can ignore and attribute to a wig, plus as long as she's skinny and hot those are the two main features of her personality, let alone her appearance. So that didn't bother me.

Maeby looked a little weird, but she's always been "mature" for her age (if that's what you would call her devious personality), plus she doesn't get a ton of screen time in s1-3, so it's an easier pill to swallow.

GM also, maybe with him and Maeby it's because it's easier to buy young characters looking more different as they mature. Also, I feel like they intentionally tried to avoid showing Ceras beak when he was playing younger him, which is the most striking difference in his appearance.

Who did bother me? (and I'm going to sound so shallow and judgmental lol)

Tobias. David Cross gained weight. I wouldn't mind, but it's so obvious in the first chronological scene in the police station, my brain just wants to think "time has passed." if it weren't for that scene I might not have noticed, but... I'm used to seeing Tobias half naked and blue so I'm going to notice when he looks different :(

George Sr and Oscar. Their switch was a great plot twist but it also was visually confusing. And the turkey neck. It was always there, but it's more noticeable now, to the point that, again, my brain wants to think that more time has passed

Lucille. Jessica Walters finally looks old in some scenes, and that makes it a lot harder to take her as the sexy evil hard ass matriarch from the first three seasons. I know her character ended up heading in a lighter direction, but it made it harder to buy some of the scenes of her being classic Lucille earlier on.

Finally Michael. Most of the time he looked like normal Michael, but every now and then you'd catch a glimpse that made you realize he's aged just as much. And that made the Rebel plot a tad strange at some points? (I dig the weirdness, I mean it made it teeter on the edge of unbelievability. I think they pulled it off totally, but it was still a fine line they were playing with)

So there you go!

Don't mean to be superficial, I think all the actors look great and did a great job and I loved the season, it's just some of the visual inconsistencies. I've always been amazed how the slightest changes in appearance can do a lot to change your perception of a character in long-running things like AD (see XFiles, 24, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, the Office, etc)

What do you think?

(again not trying to be judgmental, just trying to note how the small visual differences can make a difference in your overall perception)

Slacker

Of course they look older, they are older. Obviously that affects the flashbacks but you gotta work with what you have.

Finally Michael. Most of the time he looked like normal Michael, but every now and then you'd catch a glimpse that made you realize he's aged just as much. And that made the Rebel plot a tad strange at some points? (I dig the weirdness, I mean it made it teeter on the edge of unbelievability. I think they pulled it off totally, but it was still a fine line they were playing with)

An older movie producer with a younger actress strains your sense of believability? :p

JeTmAn81

Of course they look older, they are older. Obviously that affects the flashbacks but you gotta work with what you have.

An older movie producer with a younger actress strains your sense of believability? :p

In real life Isla Fisher is pushing 40 anyway, so it didn't seem incredible to me.

Jason Bateman is 44, Isla Fisher is 37. What's weird there? If anything the George Michael relationship is the odd one.

OnPoint

Lucille. Jessica Walters finally looks old in some scenes, and that makes it a lot harder to take her as the sexy evil hard ass matriarch from the first three seasons. I know her character ended up heading in a lighter direction, but it made it harder to buy some of the scenes of her being classic Lucille earlier on.

6TG9iIv.gif

Arkos

Jason Bateman is 44, Isla Fisher is 37. What's weird there? If anything the George Michael relationship is the odd one.

Hahaha true but I think the point of casting her is that she physically looks like she's exactly in between both of them, which would make her more like 11 years younger. And that makes both of them equally odd (although Michael wins out since he finds out about it first). Like I said I actually like the weirdness of that story, but I think it's a common reaction to think she looks a little young for him (and a little old for GM maeby)

Lol yes her! Her character plays sexy for her age, it doesn't mean I think she's sexy

Haha touché, that's why I said its the one that bothers me the least though.

If anything it totally makes sense for Michael, the "star," or main character, to be getting younger girls, if only for simple ratings' sake (or as a meta commentary on ratings o_O). Plus he's generally a good guy, so there's that too. Add on the producer thing and yeah, it's not as unbelievable as some other things.

Mariolee

She disappeared, we don't know if she was murdered. I know we see what looks like her corpse but given the number of weird dummies we've seen over he course of the show (heck we see a Lucille 2 dummy right at the end) who knows where they'll go with it.

The only thing I'm sure of is that none of the Bluths will have actually murdered her. That would be too much.

Again, I sincerely think Michael is the one who disposed of her. She's probably not dead however, just incapacitated. You guys tired of me posting this yet? :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
One thing I think we should recognize this season is how great Jessica Walter's Lucille is. Her Lucille feels like a real, complex, and interesting character, while Wiig's Lucille is like a cartoon character even though they share the same mannerisms.

Arkos

Oh come on that's obviously part of Jessica Walters shtick in AD and Archer is that shes more aggressive and sexual than you might expect someone of that age to be.

One thing I think we should recognize this season is how great Jessica Walter's Lucille is. Her Lucille feels like a real, complex, and interesting character, while Wiig's Lucille is like a cartoon character even though they share the same mannerisms.

True, but isn't that kind of the point? Especially given the change that Lucille seems to undergo towards the end? In a way it's a joke on how fans want the characters to remain as stereotypes of themselves

I'll admit I love Kristen Wiig to death so I was very excited to see her as young Lucille.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's pointless complaining about the aging. These people are human and simply aged 7 years since S3. The two that had the most obvious work done even had it referenced within the show. It all worked fine for me.

y2dvd

Finished the season this past weekend. I think I'm with most of yall. Season 4 started out slow but picked up nicely once the pieces were able to be put together. Of course, they only gave us half the pieces and we have to wait until next season/movie to finish it. I would still rank the other 3 seasons above this season, but I like the ambition of the story telling.

Everyone noticeably aged except GM Sr. I think they really wanted to take advantage of not being restricted to a 30 minute tv show and dragged on some scenes that really would've benefited from some tight editing. The dorm voting out and the buying a house scene comes to mind.

Gonna rewatch the season and review each character a little but all in all I enjoyed it and want another season!

G8D

Banned
I'm only at ep 13 but there seems to be a lot more reuse of footage this season that others. I know they visit each character separately and show how it all connects but it just feels like they're overusing the same footage :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom