• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Finally finished season 4, so now I can come in here and see what's up with other fans, and state my opinions. Overall, season 4 is worse than season 1, which was the weakest of the first three based on lack of existing characters or humor. While season 1 was the foundation for season 2 and 3 and therefore set up a lot of the humor of the series, similar to how the first 8 or 9 episodes of season 4 set up the last 6 or 7, season 1 still managed to be good, with quality jokes and layers of foreshadowing everywhere, unlike the first several episodes of season 4 which were a huge departure from the established characters and format of the series. Michael demanding to sleep with Lucille 2? GOB getting in a "roofie loop"? Lucille becoming a joker? Tobias becoming a real asshole, and somehow even more oblivious? Lindsay sacrificing a life of luxury to be with some (mostly) random guy? All fairly unbelievable ideas, and disappointing to say the least. There was also Michael being ultra oblivious, George Sr. literally switching places with Oscar, and Maeby being a sack of nothing, while most of the acting seemed tired, and it was obvious that certain people weren't even in the same room together. On top of everyone looking pretty old, everything from before looked off, like Lucille's townhouse and the model home.

The humor was also off, having just come from season 3. With scenes being so much longer, the music ran on and on, as did the jokes. Arrested Development is supposed to be fast, zipping back and forth between characters with nice cuts and zingers in every direction. GOB stood there for like 30 seconds just trying to stutter out a word, a joke that had already been done before, but actually good. The characters just didn't feel right being limited to interacting with very few people at a time, and especially non-family members. And Portia de Rossi... ugh.

That being said, the last several episodes were much more enjoyable, and it was nice for them to tie most things back together. The best episode was definitely George-Michael's, where they show that his whole programming thing was a sham. That was typical Arrested Development humor right there, being in a huge misunderstanding, with George-Michael acting somewhat appropriate based on his character, in mostly believable situations (except for that mouth experiment, that was just weird). I went from hating what they did to the show to enjoying it at the end, because they got back to their usual style and humor. It just didn't work for me before when it was all setup and no payoff. And it was nice to see hooks for a season 5 in there; they really can't let this end as it is now.

OnPoint

The humor was also off, having just come from season 3. With scenes being so much longer, the music ran on and on, as did the jokes. Arrested Development is supposed to be fast, zipping back and forth between characters with nice cuts and zingers in every direction. GOB stood there for like 30 seconds just trying to stutter out a word, a joke that had already been done before, but actually good. The characters just didn't feel right being limited to interacting with very few people at a time, and especially non-family members. And Portia de Rossi... ugh.

Seriously maybe one of my favorite moments of this season.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Seriously maybe one of my favorite moments of this season.

Like a lot of other jokes this season, it just went on for way too long.

And barring her hair, Lucille actually looks the most like her original character. I guess she was already old enough that 7 more years made no difference.

EDIT: Just remembered something else I didn't like: The scale of time. My friend and I hard a real hard time telling when stuff was taking place at first, because the scenes were jumping all over. It wasn't even clear how long it had been since the end of the series. We thought it was a year when they said it had been a year, but way later (Maeby's episode) they explicitly said 5 years, and it was a shock. What the hell was everyone doing for 5 years? It didn't come across very well how the characters were spending that time. The passage of time was even more confusing than in The Dark Knight Rises.

Maybe a rewatch would make things clearer, and it would be a good opportunity to try to find more jokes, but we won't be doing that for quite a while. Hopefully we'll also find some quotable lines, because so far there haven't been many at all.

EDIT EDIT: Tobias saying "Method One Clinic" despite having been a doctor. He should know what methadone is. Come on!

jtb

Banned
No way is S1 the worst of the three seasons, I'd put it almost on par w/ S2. Once they got over the first couple episodes, it was pure comedy genius (and even the first few episodes were pretty funny anyways... certainly way funnier than the first three episodes of S4).

My ranking 2 > 1 >>> 3 >>> 4

Blablurn

just watched the first episode again. and it was waaaay better than the first time. its happening. actually thinking about giving the whole season a second try.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Cera's difference didn't bother me much because I've seen him in other things, but Maeby was a huge difference. Last time I saw her was AD.

I liked it overall, I think it's somewhere around season 3 quality, but I don't feel as excited to do a rewatch, namely getting through some of those early episodes. Too much recapping going on in the beginning.

Mudkips

Banned
No way is S1 the worst of the three seasons, I'd put it almost on par w/ S2. Once they got over the first couple episodes, it was pure comedy genius (and even the first few episodes were pretty funny anyways... certainly way funnier than the first three episodes of S4).

Wrong.
1 > 2 > 4 > 3.
3 is too zany.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
It's pointless complaining about the aging. These people are human and simply aged 7 years since S3. The two that had the most obvious work done even had it referenced within the show. It all worked fine for me.

I know, not trying to complain, just noting it and it's effect on me, that's all

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

Season 3 had the benefit of everything already being established, and the whole rest of the series to draw from for humor. Season one was busy setting everything up, and didn't have the full Arrested Development feel until later on, with the first great episode being Pier Pressure. At worst, season 3 is >= season 1 in terms of comedy. And while I say season 1 is the worst of the original 3 seasons, it's still top humor. It's only bad in that it's not as good as the later seasons, still being better than most other shows at their best. Comparing the best of the true worst season where episodes were legitimately unenjoyable to watch with the still great season 1 isn't even a fair comparison, because season 1 has no real bad episodes.

Wrong.
1 > 2 > 4 > 3.
3 is too zany.

After the stuff that happened in season 4? Season 3 is fun, with all the characters still being themselves in situations that aren't too dark and depressing. They're still lovable despite being bad people, not just straight-up jerks. Season 4 went past awkward humor into straight awkward territory. Season 3 is still Arrested Development, while season 4 is the Arrested Development characters being mean, and not really talking to each other.

Cera's difference didn't bother me much because I've seen him in other things, but Maeby was a huge difference. Last time I saw her was AD.

I liked it overall, I think it's somewhere around season 3 quality, but I don't feel as excited to do a rewatch, namely getting through some of those early episodes. Too much recapping going on in the beginning.

I don't know what order they shot the episodes, but Maeby's first appearances were so far removed from her original character that it seemed like it was Alia Shawkat on film rather than Maeby Funke.

I know, not trying to complain, just noting it and it's effect on me, that's all

The actors not acting as well as they used to was more of an issue for me than their ages. They just seemed off. GOB was the most obvious early on, he just seemed haggard.

EDIT: Here's a review with some good points.

Arkos

The actors not acting as well as they used to was more of an issue for me than their ages. They just seemed off. GOB was the most obvious early on, he just seemed haggard.

EDIT: Here's a review with some good points.

I think that definitely played a part in it, just being out of practice, although GOB left me the most satisfied of all the characters, including the females! [/tobias]

Edit: oh yeah, I'll read that review once I get a chance, thx

Arkos

I just realized GOB comes through Ann's window. Come to my window?

Get it?

Ann specifically says "come through my window" :p

When do you guys think we'll hear whether they intend to actually produce another series?

They'd have to be crazy to not try another series . . . but then again, after they were cancelled Mitch left the show on the ground because he didn't feel up to it then.

G8D

Banned
They'd have to be crazy to not try another series . . . but then again, after they were cancelled Mitch left the show on the ground because he didn't feel up to it then.

Last I heard Netflix wants to make a new series but it depends on the cooperation of the producers/writers/actors to happen. I don't think they've made any official announcement of a new series though and probably wont for a while :/

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Blew my mind when I saw Grand Prix and recognized the face but couldn't quite place it...

jKpOumlewVOuw.png

Yeah what happened to Jessica Walter this season? She looks really old. I mean look at this picture. She looks nothing like this!

It was an interesting experiment but I don't think I'll be re watching as often as seasons 1-3. Hated the whole movie producer subplot and the individual focused episodes.

Batigol

Banned
I'm only on episode 3, but I need to pause it to ask something.

WTF happened to Lindsay? It doesn't even look like her. If I couldn't hear her talking I'd think it was a lookalike.

I mean, I know everybody is older, but she literally looks like a different person. It's kinda freaking me out

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

WTF happened to Lindsay? It doesn't even look like her. If I couldn't hear her talking I'd think it was a lookalike.

I mean, I know everybody is older, but she literally looks like a different person. It's kinda freaking me out

Looks like plastic surgery, her eyes are completely different.

She looks bangin with short hair though

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Lol we need a count of how many times people have said this. ;)

Just wait until later. She cuts her hair off and she looks sooooooo much better. I think she's wearing a wig in those episodes where she has long hair and it makes her face look SCARY. She looks great (IMO) with the short hair though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What was up with Ann this season? Why did the actress do that voice and act the way she did? That's not how she talked in any season. I guess she was trying to sound younger but it just seemed weird.

ivysaur12

Banned
I feel like it hasn't been talked about nearly enough, but the pedophile/Sudden Valley subplot was an absolute blast. It was amazing black comedy.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I feel like it hasn't been talked about nearly enough, but the pedophile/Sudden Valley subplot was an absolute blast. It was amazing black comedy.

That party scene early in the George Michael episode is fucking amazing in hindsight. The deceptive wording used is so great. Soooo good on a second watchthrough.

TUSR

Banned

Was laughing my ass off when they started to play football shirtless when I clued in why they were doing it.

Was anyone else disappointed Ted from the Bluth company wasn't in the show?

Grinchy

Banned
I finished the season tonight and I thought it was awesome. None of the aging bothered me except for Lindsay's immense facial reconstruction (you're not going to convince me she's just wearing a wig because that's ridiculous. She had a nose job and lip injections at the very least).

The writing was really great. I loved the way that you don't realize the first few episodes are setup for much larger happenings later on. The season just kept ramping up in craziness and hilarity until it finally ended on a somewhat lower note that leaves you wanting more. I really enjoyed the way that everything fit together.

I was really buying into the fact that George Michael might be developing that software that was taking off. Then you get to his episode and all the little cues that didn't mean anything in prior episodes are revealed to be hilarious mental struggles for him. The whole season felt like that. I hope Netflix ponies up for another season.

Mitch Hurwitz and the Revival of 'Arrested Development' (Audio Interview @ 6:50)

Interesting interview.

-Talk about the logistics of bringing the show back and scheduling.
-Mitch said there are 850 effect shots used, but not many are green screen.
-Mitch's reaction to critical response, fan reaction, and Netflix's stock drop
-Mitch Hurwitz isn't a nevernude

Oh my god that interview was brilliant. I loved the analogy of the Critics up late all night trying to eat a Giant Cake. This is something new still, and with deadlines, very good stuff.

I have even more respect for everything that Mitch and company had to do to make this reality, with the crazy schedules for the actors. Saying that, When Michael is on his way to talk to Buster (Like 10 feet away) that scene is filmed two months before the actual scene with Buster and him.

Nothing has been planned yet for new episodes, but it sounds like everyone wants to do it, and hopefully they'll wait until everyone puts aside the time for it now for the next run!

Best quote:

Mitch - "Thank you for not making a big deal about the fact I'm naked" LOL

I like how everyone this season has been developed to the point of either having the audience become sympathetic towards them or at the very least understanding except Michael who is the sole complete fucking scumbag.

Kevtones

the more i think about it, the more i really appreciate and like this season

the story lines are genuinely hilarious when you think about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom