• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real talk. This season started very strong, and it was my favorite part of arrow, including season 2, but the season went south. Keep focusing on Darhk, Merlin, and just forget about the fucking romance. Arrow writers can´t write romance for shit.
To be honest the best part of this season has been Laurel. She has improved a lot in this season, the writers were competent enough to write her decently.

Oregano

Real talk. This season started very strong, and it was my favorite part of arrow, including season 2, but the season went south. Keep focusing on Darhk, Merlin, and just forget about the fucking romance. Arrow writers can´t write romance for shit.
To be honest the best part of this season has been Laurel. She has improved a lot in this season, the writers were competent enough to write her decently.

Time to kill her off to make room for Felicity the bionically enhanced Black Canary. She'll be a Lance sister when her mum marries chesthair.

Sephzilla

Agreed, the season started off really strong but it feels like it really went off the rails once the Oliver/Felicity stuff became more of the focus. That said, it's still better than Legends of Tomorrow.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, I agree. I hope this Olicity stuff goes away soon.

I still enjoy it, like last episode was fun. Outside of Felicity being so sour, it was enjoyable.

JakR

So this is my first post in this thread I think and I go all in, I am out of this show!

I watched from the first episode that started and loved the first two seasons, liked the 3rd season who had some problems, and to the point where Felicity stands up and went away from Oliver.

But the ongoing way downwards in quality is enough to quit this former great take on the green arrow.

Last episode I could only watch to the point where Oliver gets his ass handed. And so it was a good run, but the show is in my mind really bad.

RIP Arrow

KonradLaw

Agreed, the season started off really strong but it feels like it really went off the rails once the Oliver/Felicity stuff became more of the focus. That said, it's still better than Legends of Tomorrow.

Yeah. Before break the season was very strong. Oliver being happily coupled with Felicity was great. No drama, just "aww...so sweet" kindness. Why start drama?

Not to mention it makes Felicity so damn stupid. She's engaged to a guy who's a superhero. who she went through so many life/death situations with. one who didn't even bat an eye when his fiancee got paralyzed. And you're going to dump him just because he lied to you once? Lied for the sake of being able to see his son? I mean...wtf? Even teenagers are nowhere near this petty.

Joni

Merlyn needs to be written out and quickly. He is one of the people too stuck in his role.

Magwik

Banned
Merlyn needs to be written out and quickly. He is one of the people too stuck in his role.
They have no idea what to do with him and also don't know where to take him. Hell the entire arc across season 3 was rendered void just a few episodes ago just to chop off the dudes hand so he can put Ollies kid in danger. It's extremely fucking contrived and pointless.

KonradLaw

They have no idea what to do with him and also don't know where to take him. Hell the entire arc across season 3 was rendered void just a few episodes ago just to chop off the dudes hand so he can put Ollies kid in danger. It's extremely fucking contrived and pointless.

Oliver dominating him so easily was sweet though. Shows how much he improved. Shame he somehow forgets all those skills most of the time.

Joni

Let's be honest, they have no idea because there is no place to take him if you want him more than 2-3 episodes in a year.

ZeroX03

Banned
Barrowman got them by the balls with that series regular contract. He played the "use me or lose me" card, and nobody won but his bank account.

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what has happened during this shit show after the the midseason premiere? I stopped watching as soon as Felicity's mom said she was paralyzed because I didn't want to watch her give my fellow paralyzed folk a bad name with her endless whining and overall terribleness.

ZeroX03

Banned
Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what has happened during this shit show after the the midseason premiere? I stopped watching as soon as Felicity's mom said she was paralyzed because I didn't want to watch her give my fellow paralyzed folk a bad name with her endless whining and overall terribleness.

She was magically cured by a microchip. She breaks up with Oliver by literally standing up out of her wheelchair and walking away. It sounds like I'm joking, but I'm really not.

There was also a cool two episode arc where she schools her father who's a villain. That bit was nice.

She was magically cured by a microchip. She breaks up with Oliver by literally standing up out of her wheelchair and walking away. It sounds like I'm joking, but I'm really not.

There was also a cool two episode arc where she schools her father who's a villain. That bit was nice.

In heels, right out of the wheelchair. Stands up and walks out.

In heels, right out of the wheelchair. Stands up and walks out.

It's good to see that Hollywood still has no fucking clue how spinal cords work. At least that opens her back up to being axed. The Olicity ship killed what was a pretty damn good show.

It's fine, guys. This show has now joined an elite group of shows for me, where I read GAF on my phone and glance up every once in a while, so it's right up there with The Bachelor and The Voice, which are both ratings juggernauts.

Joni

She handled it quite well, even kicking some CEO ass. There was no reason to complain about that part.

She handled it quite well, even kicking some CEO ass. There was no reason to complain about that part.

Yeah, it was refreshing how they handled it. She got over it a tad too quickly, but there's only so much time during an episode and it's way better than watching her whine about it for 3 episodes and then finally coming to terms with it at the end of the season.

Such a shame they ruined it by letting her literally walk away from Oliver like that.

e: While trying to find a gif of that scene, I stranded on a tumblr with Olicity fanfic. I have to admit, these people are really dedicated. You gotta respect that.

The reason to complain has more to do with why I felt it was done to her even though I would have found her unbearable if she was A) whinier than she has been in seasons 3 and 4 or B) portrayed as an inspirational, superhuman being. My immediate reaction was it was a calculated move done to make people feel sorry and counteract the growing hate for her but I was probably wrong seeing as she is back on her feet and doing shit that made her my most hated character on the show. I will give the show a break because she couldn't come out of the midseason finale unscathed but she needs to end up in the grave.

ZeroX03

Banned
Have you heard the buzz about tonight's new episode?

#4.17 "Beecon of Hope"
Episode Promo
BRIE LARVAN AKA THE BUG EYED BANDIT SETS HER SIGHTS ON FELICITY: Brie Larvan (Guest Star Emily Kinney) flies out jail and turns up at Palmer Tech threatening to sting everyone unless she gets the bio chip that is implanted in Felicity’s (Emily Beett Rickards) thorax. When Oliver (Stephen Amell) realizes that Felicity, Thea (Willa Holland) and Donna (Guest Star Charlotte Wasp) are trapped in Palmer Tech with everyone else, he looks to a surprising ally to help Colony Arrow save the day. Michael Schultz directed the episode. Written by Ben Sokolowski & Brian Ford Sullivan.

AR417b_0322b.jpg

Joni

The reason to complain has more to do with why I felt it was done to her even though I would have found her unbearable if she was A) whinier than she has been in seasons 3 and 4 or B) portrayed as an inspirational, superhuman being. My immediate reaction was it was a calculated move done to make people feel sorry and counteract the growing hate for her but I was probably wrong seeing as she is back on her feet and doing shit that made her my most hated character on the show. I will give the show a break because she couldn't come out of the midseason finale unscathed but she needs to end up in the grave.

She won't end in the grave, as there is no way to advance the story by killing her, there is no reason to fire Emily and the majority of the fans would hate if she was cut. That gives basically negative three reasons to kill Felicity. They did it because they needed some gravitas for the midseason finale, make people believe it could be Felicity while knowing they wouldn't actually kill anybody before episode 17-18. As for it being a calculated move to make people stop hating her, GAF and Reddit are not the majority.

Guys this show would kill off Oliver before they kill off Felicity. She's never dying, unless for some reason her actress actually wants to leave the show. Felicity is the most popular character within the fanbase. Even I will admit that the hate directed to the character is barely anything compared to other Arrowverse characters get.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've been vocal in my hatred of the Flash episode that had Bug-Eyed Bandit, I'll lay that on the table. But I have to admit
Larvan wanting to steal the chip in Felicity's spine is a cool idea. It's cutting edge world changing technology, so it makes sense someone would want it. We don't get many campy villains in Arrow, so I'm cautiously optimistic about how this will go. I've liked all the Cupid episodes and she's a dark kind of camp. I do miss the first Count Vertigo. He was a low rent Joker, but I loved it anyway.

I've been vocal in my hatred of the Flash episode that had Bug-Eyed Bandit, I'll lay that on the table. But I have to admit
Larvan wanting to steal the chip in Felicity's spine is a cool idea. It's cutting edge world changing technology, so it makes sense someone would want it. We don't get many campy villains in Arrow, so I'm cautiously optimistic about how this will go. I've liked all the Cupid episodes and she's a dark kind of camp. I do miss the first Count Vertigo. He was a low rent Joker, but I loved it anyway.
I remember people complained about the first Vertigo being too hammy to take seriously. And then of course the show-runners got the Lord of Ham and Cheese himself Peter Stormare to play the second one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I remember people complained about the first Vertigo being too hammy to take seriously. And then of course the show-runners got the Lord of Ham and Cheese himself Peter Stormare to play the second one.

Oh, I'm sure they had to charge the actor for damages because he was chewing the fuck out of the scenery. But it breaks up all the grim dark that Arrow does. I don't mind that, but they have to balance it out. Oliver...yeah, he has zero comedic timing, but there's no reason that Thea can't crack jokes. They've gotten better about that this season, at least.

I usually like Stormare, but his Vertigo didn't do anything for me. Amazing character actor, but I don't think they had much for the second Vertigo to do.

Oh, I'm sure they had to charge the actor for damages because he was chewing the fuck out of the scenery. But it breaks up all the grim dark that Arrow does. I don't mind that, but they have to balance it out. Oliver...yeah, he has zero comedic timing, but there's no reason that Thea can't crack jokes. They've gotten better about that this season, at least.

I usually like Stormare, but his Vertigo didn't do anything for me. Amazing character actor, but I don't think they had much for the second Vertigo to do.
I think the problem with the second Vertigo had a lot to do with the timing of his appearance. By the time he shows up, Oliver has already defeated Deathstroke, discovered metahumans with Flash, and we were just about to see Ra's al Ghul, who'd been teased since the very beginning. And then he's just some drug lord who poisons people by throwing syringes at them.

KonradLaw

The time is ripe for them to introduce Lemire's Count Vertigo. Superpowers and all.

KonradLaw

I've merely started watching this show late last year, so S1 is still pretty fresh in my memory, but spurred by recent Adam Hunt mention the I went yesterday too see how much Oliver's competence got downraged. And Jesus Christ. I knew dude got nerfed, but this is just too much.

S1's Oliver is a killing machine,with supernaturally good reflexes,senses and agility. Dude's also extremely smart, can do pretty advanced tech work as well as his own CSI-like tasks. Where did that go?

I've merely started watching this show late last year, so S1 is still pretty fresh in my memory, but spurred by recent Adam Hunt mention the I went yesterday too see how much Oliver's competence got downraged. And Jesus Christ. I knew dude got nerfed, but this is just too much.

S1's Oliver is a killing machine,with supernaturally good reflexes,senses and agility. Dude's also extremely smart, can do pretty advanced tech work as well as his own CSI-like tasks. Where did that go?

You know where it went

We could blame something in that his opponents got stronger. S1 Oliver took on mostly goons of businessmen with Deadshot occasionally in the mix and then Merlyn later on. But obviously we know the real reason is just bad nerfing.

The writers give a scene where Oliver gets schooled by the villain once an episode which makes him come off as weak. If said scene was dedicated to maybe a normal daily scene for someone he might look stronger.

Tonight's episode will see
Mister Terrific inducted into Team Arrow. That should bee fun
Writers realized they keep adding too many crime-fighters in so they're doing the same now, overstuffing with tech geeks. I kid mostly, but I don't see Curtis becoming a permanent member unless a certain tech blonde kicks the bucket.

Writers realized they keep adding too many crime-fighters in so they're doing the same now, overstuffing with tech geeks. I kid mostly, but I don't see Curtis becoming a permanent member unless a certain tech blonde kicks the bucket.
Maybe he's the one who dies, then. He's close enough with the team and main character where she'd be pissed but still expendable enough that we don't lose a main cast member.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I all but guarantee it's Curtis in the grave. My friend and I said weeks before it happened that if Curtis was the reason Felicity regained the ability to walk, he was a deadman.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Curtis would be such a cop out.
Plus there's no way Oliver is crying over Curtis.

They still have a few episodes to endear him to the team plus a lot of the emotional heavy lifting could be on Curtis' husband. They both helped to rehabilitate Felicity and they've been used before to serve as a parallel to Oliver and Felicity's relationship.

Felicity is upset because this kindly couple has been destroyed and Oliver is upset because it further drives home the idea that the life he wanted is unattainable.

Now, I guarantee absolutely none of that. But that's how I'd handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom