• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Sickboy007 said:
Lens of Thruth has a PS3/360 screenshot comparison, some screens might be spoilerish:

PS3 version looks a little washed out with fewer shadows, lower resolution textures and less post processing effects.

What I really want to know is, whats the visual quality difference between AC2 and ACB? For some reason the OCD side in me can't shake the feeling that some of the textures have been downrezzed (due to disc space), such as the rooftops. I only just was playing the AC2 DLC yesterday afternoon and remember looking at everything and admiring how sharp all the textures looked. I *felt* like I was noticing more blurry textures in the ACB environment though. If thats the case, they probably should have split it across two discs like was done with ME2.

That being said, they definitely improved the faces. If you were just to look at a still they probably would look almost the same, but the animation and rough edges have really been smoothed out. I'm actually surprised with how much they've done to iterate on the game's mechanics and hud in such a short time. Makes me think that when AC2 shipped, they must've already had parts of this game up and running and they had most of the last year just to polish and respond to feedback from AC2.

Mush

For those who have beaten the game, how long was it roughly?

Also, I played AC2 on the PS3 and I was fine with it performance wise, but is it still up to scratch? I have the choice of the X360 version and I'd like to know which would be the one to get. If it runs about the same as AC2 PS3 I might as well grab Ass Bro on the triple.

ultron87

So close to Gold on the Flawless Hidden Blade virtual challenge!

The winning strategy on that one seems to be just not doing any chains, since some asshole pretty much always bashes you in the back as your combo finishes.

Flawless All Weapons was way easier, since you can do all the two guys at once chain kills.

Lothars

I picked up the game eariler this week with NFS but I tried my first match of multiplayer and wow it's awesome, my first two kills were silent and it was avsolutely incredible, I awas frustrated at some of the ways I died because I saw the guy and was dead before I could do anything.

I think this will be a multiplayer game that I will keep playing it's alot of fun.

jett

D-Member
A question about the Monteriggoni in Sequences 6 and 7:

I can't find Lucy anywhere, where is this woman? Or is it story-related?

I don't get how this killstreak stuff works, the game doesn't explain it well, or I'm just dumb. There's a mission in the game where you have to do a 5 killstreak to get full synchronization with Ezio, anyone mind explaining how I do it? Is it just killing dudes without taking damage?

DrBo42

Crewnh said:
I don't get how this killstreak stuff works, the game doesn't explain it well, or I'm just dumb. There's a mission in the game where you have to do a 5 killstreak to get full synchronization with Ezio, anyone mind explaining how I do it? Is it just killing dudes without taking damage?
Kill streak = execution. You start by countering someone and then hold the LS in the direction of your next target and pressing X or Square to execute them, you can do this for what seems to be an infinite amount of enemies.

brentech

I've got too many games that I care to play all at once right now. I received AC:Brotherhood on release day from Gamefly and just loaded it up. Right now I'm trying to start the multiplayer mode and it's taking foreevvvver with "loading in progress" (ps3). Don't know what the deal is on this.

Enjoyed AC2 a lot more than the first and I think this one improves even further. Can't wait to dive in, but at the same time I need to get most of it done before GT5 arrives as well. Ahhhhh!

DrBo42 said:
Kill streak = execution. You start by countering someone and then hold the LS in the direction of your next target and pressing X or Square to execute them, you can do this for what seems to be an infinite amount of enemies.
Okay, what do I do when someone tries to break the combo? Does that end the streak?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Crewnh said:
Okay, what do I do when someone tries to break the combo? Does that end the streak?
I think if he hits you he breaks the streak. Executing a successful counter on the attacker should continue your kill streak. Use the VR missions to train if you need practice, the kill streak mission even has a counter that lets you know when the streak is broken.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those VR missions. I'll get some practice in there then go for the killstreak mission again.

Thanks DrBo42 and Killthee.

Wow, there is a shitload to do in this game, isn't there?

I've been playing for a couple of hours now, I've just
renovated a whorehouse
and there are appearing more and more icons on my map. I'm not sure what I want to do. Do all those side-quests while playing or just following the storyline so I can do those later on. I've finished all of Assassins Creed 2 after the main storyline as well so odds are I will take the same route with this game.

Amazing, I love it. It feels exactly like the second game and that really comforting. It doesn't really feel like huge DLC because of Rome which looks and feels entirely different from the cities we had in the second game. Brilliant, all of this, love it.

EDIT: Oh wait, there is multiplayer as well, right? My god, I will be playing this till November next year I guess! :lol

Ledsen

How do you do a kill streak? It doesn't seem to trigger no matter what I do. I've tried holding LS and mashing X, pressing X only once, etc... he never goes for another kill, just stands there like a moron. Does it matter if I'm holding RT or not, or which weapon I'm using?

ithorien

Those of you who are playing Multi, how difficult are the MP achievements?

I'm not a big fan of MP, but this one looks like it might be interesting enough to try out, and the OCD in me will most certainly rage for being a few trophies away from plat.

Kydd BlaZe

Ledsen said:
How do you do a kill streak? It doesn't seem to trigger no matter what I do. I've tried holding LS and mashing X, pressing X only once, etc... he never goes for another kill, just stands there like a moron. Does it matter if I'm holding RT or not, or which weapon I'm using?
You have to let go of RT. Just make sure your next enemy is highlighted while you're executing one enemy, and press x once this kill move is finished and Ezio will jump to his next target.

Double D

The caveats that are put on getting full sych on memories are new to Brotherhood, right? The completionist in me is kind of hating it. There was already a shit-ton of stuff to do, and now they add another layer of stuff. I appreciate what they are going for, but it sucks restarting a memory because I decided to swim in the water, for example.

Muffdraul

Ledsen said:

Hold RT and press X to perform a counter kill... then release RT and push L in the direction of the next enemy you want to kill and just mash X. Continue mashing and pushing L towards enemies until either they're all dead or the chain is broken by being hit. You don't have to mash per se, but you don't need to be particularly precise.

LCfiner

Vik_Vaughn said:
The caveats that are put on getting full sych on memories are new to Brotherhood, right? The completionist in me is kind of hating it. There was already a shit-ton of stuff to do, and now they add another layer of stuff. I appreciate what they are going for, but it sucks restarting a memory because I decided to swim in the water, for example.

yeah, it's new. i think that goes hand in hand with the new ability to replay memories. since you can now replay sections, they give you a little carrot on a stick to shoot for.

rataven

Is there a way to quit a memory sequence? I know in ACII, you could start a memory, quit it if you weren't feeling the task, and go back to roaming around. In ACB, seems I can only restart. Am I missing something?

MjFrancis

ithorien said:
Those of you who are playing Multi, how difficult are the MP achievements?

I'm not a big fan of MP, but this one looks like it might be interesting enough to try out, and the OCD in me will most certainly rage for being a few trophies away from plat.
I've got 6 of the 10 MP achievements so far with little effort in attaining any, excepting for the level 50 achievement. I'll probably have to put up some effort for the last few. There are some for bonuses that I don't understand how to attain yet; but since reaching level 50 will take 40+ hours I've got time to figure it out. I'm at level 15 at about 5-6 hours of play - and I'm not terribly good at this game, either.

So, if you get OCD on the achievements, you're looking at a full work week or longer of MP play for ten achievements worth 200 points.

ithorien

MjFrancis said:
So, if you get OCD on the achievements, you're looking at a full work week or longer of MP play for ten achievements worth 200 points.

It's definitely a crutch, no doubt. But at least it's not horribly difficult from how you explain it.

ultron87

Muffdraul said:
Hold RT and press X to perform a counter kill... then release RT and push L in the direction of the next enemy you want to kill and just mash X. Continue mashing and pushing L towards enemies until either they're all dead or the chain is broken by being hit. You don't have to mash per se, but you don't need to be particularly precise.

If you hold down X and have bullets while using your sword he'll do some sweet double kills with the gun. Same thing with throwing knives while using your dagger.

Some of the animations for those are really cool.

SamuraiX-

Superfrog said:
HD video of the official CE strategy guide (may contain minor spoilers, but check out the huge Rome overview map at around 3:26):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKObuALQM_Q&hd=1

Wait, is that all? I haven't played the game yet, but from my perspective Rome doesn't look that big. Maybe about the size of 2 cities from AC2 combined?

Maybe the map is just throwing my sense of scale off, but that doesn't look like much if the whole game is played in Rome. Probably need to actually play the game to get the real idea.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SamuraiX- said:
Wait, is that all? I haven't played the game yet, but from my perspective Rome doesn't look that big. Maybe about the size of 2 cities from AC2 combined?

Maybe the map is just throwing my sense of scale off, but that doesn't look like much if the whole game is played in Rome. Probably need to actually play the game to get the real idea.

It's probably like 2 and a half cities. Though the game squeezes in a lot more content per inch than AC2 does.

Muffdraul

ultron87 said:
If you hold down X and have bullets while using your sword he'll do some sweet double kills with the gun. Same thing with throwing knives while using your dagger.

Some of the animations for those are really cool.

Yeah, I've gotten some of those. Maybe sometimes I hold the button down without realizing it.

dwebo

Anybody gotten 100% sync on
calling all stand-ins
in sequence 7? Every time I call in the assassins on the 3rd group, it fails for no apparent reason. It doesn't work when I replay either. Gah!

edit: nvm, arrow storm did the trick

RedStep

MjFrancis said:
I've got 6 of the 10 MP achievements so far with little effort in attaining any, excepting for the level 50 achievement. I'll probably have to put up some effort for the last few. There are some for bonuses that I don't understand how to attain yet; but since reaching level 50 will take 40+ hours I've got time to figure it out. I'm at level 15 at about 5-6 hours of play - and I'm not terribly good at this game, either.

Yeah, level 50 is something like 1.2 million XP. I average around 2k in a 10-minute round so far. I'm looking at 100 hours of in-match time. Fuu

ultron87

The gun/sword combo kills make me wish that there was a two-swords type weapon or something, or that there were at least some double execution moves during combat with the double wrist blade. (Unless there are some I just haven't seen yet).

The best counter kill remains the one with a spear where
the guard's attack breaks it in half and Ezio just sort of shrugs and stabs both pieces into him.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9TpXrYEGQ&t=2m39s for the AC2 version of it.

Basically, I love the animations in this game.

ithorien

Sai-kun said:
I only hope the community doesn't die before I reach 50!

Oh man, imagine being one level away. I'd stab a chicken. I am one trophy short in LBP because of silly MP achievements, and really don't feel like boosting.

ithorien

sdornan said:
I don't understand anyone forcing themselves to do things they don't really want to do just for the sake of achievements.

I don't understand it either, promise. That's why it's a disorder.

I'm only level 8 in multiplayer, but I still think there needs to be more defense. I hate being powerless other than the stun move (which I've never even seen the prompt to do it).

Also what are the odds of them patching in a fix for multiplayer matchmaking? I have to wait at least 5 minutes to get into a game.

Just picked up my Codex edition, together with Bioshock 2 one of the finer collector editions of this year...

I like to be immersed in the game so I turn the spoken language to Italian (just like I did in AC2), but sadly the Desmond segments are still in Italian. I guessno Nolan North for me again.... :lol

Loving the artistic direction to death but technically the engine is showing some rough edges...still weird because I think the first Assassins Creed looked better/crisper than its sequel. Maybe I'm just imagining things but I got that feeling. Also picked up the Prince Of Persia Collection so I guess I'm on a parkour rush this winter :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pizza Luigi said:
I've been playing for a couple of hours now, I've just
renovated a whorehouse
and there are appearing more and more icons on my map. I'm not sure what I want to do. Do all those side-quests while playing or just following the storyline so I can do those later on. I've finished all of Assassins Creed 2 after the main storyline as well so odds are I will take the same route with this game.

What I tend to do is that I go for the main missions, but I do any sidequests that I see along the way. So let's say there's a Borgia tower, a Courtesan mission, and an assassination mission between where I currently am and the main mission. Then I'll do those missions and then do the main mission. Then I do cleanup after I've beaten the game.

KdoubleA

canadian crowe said:
I'm only level 8 in multiplayer, but I still think there needs to be more defense. I hate being powerless other than the stun move (which I've never even seen the prompt to do it).

There is a few strategies you'll figure out as you keep playing and leveling up. First, you gotta remember it's always best to run away or lure/ trick your pursuers. Anyway, there's the Power Charge ability you can use on them suddenly, catching them unaware and stun them. Also, perks like the Blending one which transforms a civilian into your character helps to trick them if you're not using Morph. The more I play it, the more I understand why Ubi kept the defense at minimum, otherwise there won't be chases, plus it keeps you on your toes knowing you're vulnerable.

KdoubleA said:
There is a few strategies you'll figure out as you keep playing and leveling up. First, you gotta remember it's always best to run away or lure/ trick your pursuers. Anyway, there's the Power Charge ability you can use on them suddenly, catching them unaware and stun them. Also, perks like the Blending one which transforms a civilian into your character helps to trick them if you're not using Morph. The more I play it, the more I understand why Ubi kept the defense at minimum, otherwise there won't be chases, plus it keeps you on your toes knowing you're vulnerable.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still really annoyed with the game, but I keep playing so it must be doing something right.

I still hate that people can kill you from 20 feet away and you are powerless, but I guess that's just a balancing thing they had to put in there.

dwebo

I'm getting really fucking tired of having to use the janky catch-back to get to some of the subject 16 rifts. What the fuck, Ezio/Desmond, you really think I want to plummet to my death instead?

Vlodril

Well got the disk today and although the game is great , for the ps3 its a abysmal port. Not that the previous games where gems (the first one hard locked my ps3) but its worst than 2. There is alot of stuttering for me , like it stops to load the city or something. Its annoying as hell. Also there is a lot of loading going on, that could be on all the versions though. Really miss the seamless way Uncharted plays(yes i realize there is alot more going on in AC).

Anyway i am getting the same vibe as AC2 which is good because that game rocked i just wish developers made better technical quality games at this point in the generation.

Synless

Vlodril said:
Well got the disk today and although the game is great , for the ps3 its a abysmal port. Not that the previous games where gems (the first one hard locked my ps3) but its worst than 2. There is alot of stuttering for me , like it stops to load the city or something. Its annoying as hell. Also there is a lot of loading going on, that could be on all the versions though. Really miss the seamless way Uncharted plays(yes i realize there is alot more going on in AC).

Anyway i am getting the same vibe as AC2 which is good because that game rocked i just wish developers made better technical quality games at this point in the generation.
Digital Foundry's face-off says the port is pretty damn good and they speak highly of the ps3 version. That's a rarity for them to say the game is almost identical so it can't be that bad.

mr_chun

Is anyone having trouble with the sprint boost in multiplayer? Every time I use it, my character just runs in place instead of taking off. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling game data, but it didn't fix it. I've seen other people use the perk with no trouble, but it's not working for me. :(

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Synless said:
Digital Foundry's face-off says the port is pretty damn good and they speak highly of the ps3 version. That's a rarity for them to say the game is almost identical so it can't be that bad.
The game looks great the problem is the framerate completely craps out once you get to Rome and texture pop in occurs very frequently if you run anywhere. I can live with the pop in, but the frame drops are very disappointing. This is my first time getting one of the AC games for the PS3 and I don't know how Brotherhood runs on the 360, but from what I've played of the PS3 version, it runs like crap compared to AC2 on the 360.

Synless

Killthee said:
The game looks great the problem is the framerate completely craps out once you get to Rome and texture pop in occurs very frequently if you run anywhere. I can live with the pop in, but the frame drops are very disappointing. This is my first time getting one of the AC games for the PS3 and I don't know how Brotherhood runs on the 360, but from what I've played of the PS3 version, it runs like crap compared to AC2 on the 360.
The comparison I read shows the framerate is damn near the same on both versions. Watch the video.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-brotherhood-face-off

Im not a big fan of DF's writing, but they have good framerate analysis.

Top Bottom