• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

nocode

So I'm guessing that the DLC was originally supposed to be in the game but was cut out because it sucked? We know that they made this game much tighter because of all the complaints that the first game got boring as it went on. Did they just cut out the missions that they included with the DLC to keep the game moving? Kind of like when extra scenes are included on a DVD of a movie. When you watch them, you usually realize why they cut them out of the original movie.....because they suck.

Nemesis_

nocode said:
So I'm guessing that the DLC was originally supposed to be in the game but was cut out because it sucked? We know that they made this game much tighter because of all the complaints that the first game got boring as it went on. Did they just cut out the missions that they included with the DLC to keep the game moving? Kind of like when extra scenes are included on a DVD of a movie. When you watch them, you usually realize why they cut them out of the original movie.....because they suck.

While the Battle of Forli didn't really bring anything amazing to the storyline, I quite liked the dialogue and stuff, particularly Caterina's involvement. I wouldn't say it was bad per se.

Socreges

Banned
I wonder if UbiSoft took out the two Sequences since they were weak, barely relevant and messed up the game's pace?

Anyway, this is a bit disappointing. I think I'll just trade in AC2 tomorrow before its value goes down. The second DLC may be great, but I'm not taking my chances and waiting.

Vestal

Well since search is down, and pretty darn hard to find the old AC2 thread manually I guess Ill start a new one.

Heading over to the store to grab my copy tommorow, any suggestions on which version to get?(360 or PS3)

Most of the stuff Ive read says they are identical, but some say PS3 is a bit less detailed, need some expert opinions from the GAF.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The thread is on the second page..

Anyways, unless tearing bothers you, just go with the system/controller you prefer. The PS3 version has the tearing, btw.

Ydahs

Fyrus said:
The thread is on the second page..

Anyways, unless tearing bothers you, just go with the system/controller you prefer. The PS3 version has the tearing, btw.
It does? Did not realize it at all throughout my play through.

fernoca

Hehe..LTTP? ...the "old thread" that gets posts every day? Also because of the new chapter that was released a few days ago? .. :p

In any case, just go with the Xbox 360 version..unless you prefer the Dualshock.

EDIT:
Thread was merged with the official one; nice.

Wait, there's screen tearing in the PS3 version? AC1? Fuck yes! AC2... I'm not sure about that. If there is, then it is minor as hell and not worth moaning about (assuming this was a heated discussion at one point... this is Gaf after all.)

Risette

A Good Citizen
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Wait, there's screen tearing in the PS3 version? AC1? Fuck yes! AC2... I'm not sure about that. If there is, then it is minor as hell and not worth moaning about (assuming this was a heated discussion at one point... this is Gaf after all.)
The tearing is pretty minor in most areas of the game (unless you like slowly panning the camera everywhere), but it can bother some people beyond just being a graphic issue. Like headaches and stuff.

nocode

Nemesis556 said:
While the Battle of Forli didn't really bring anything amazing to the storyline, I quite liked the dialogue and stuff, particularly Caterina's involvement. I wouldn't say it was bad per se.

But, would it fuck up the pacing? I thought it was weird that Caterina had such a small part in the main story, so when the DLC was announced as having her in it I wasn't surprised at all.

conman

The pacing for this game was already seriously jacked up, so it really didn't matter if Catarina was there or not. I enjoyed the game, but the story had more zig-zags than a hippie on holiday. That said, they put so much work into the Forli environment that I'm sure it would have felt like a major defeat to just cut it (but that's exactly what they should have done). Good editors aren't afraid to sever limbs if it means ultimately making a better movie, novel, game.

Not only does Catarina serve no purpose, but neither does
the late game addition of Machiavelli.
Even worse, there's just the one brief story mission in Forli in the retail version. The whole town serves no narrative purpose whatsoever.

Fyrus said:
The tearing is pretty minor in most areas of the game (unless you like slowly panning the camera everywhere), but it can bother some people beyond just being a graphic issue. Like headaches and stuff.
Yeah, it really depends on who you are. Some of us are really sensitive to tearing and unstable framerates. But as has been said many times, if you have a choice, choose the 360 version.

aristotle

xintin said:
Nope, just load up your Game Clear save and it goes right into Sequence 12.

Well glad that was cleared up. I only read a few previous posts/pages and they all seemed to say you could only access them by playing through from the beginning. This makes things much better. Reading comprehension FTW. :p

MYE

Oh man, let me just start by saying how much i hated the original game. It was so boring to play and so boring to look at. Me and a couple of friends tried to force ourselves to enjoy it but ughh.

Bought this one three days ago. I absolutely love it so far :D .
The setting, the story, the music, the characters, the structure, everything is vastly improved, holy shit.

Kudos Ubi.

MYE said:
Oh man, let me just start by saying how much i hated the original game. It was so boring to play and so boring to look at. Me and a couple of friends tried to force ourselves to enjoy it but ughh.

Bought this one three days ago. I absolutely love it so far :D .
The setting, the story, the music, the characters, the structure, everything is vastly improved, holy shit.

Kudos Ubi.

Same!

The trouble is im bang smack in the middle of work deadlines, and so im not enjoying it as much as I should be purely because im stressing so much over work, im basically rushing through it to get it out of the way type thing, definatly not doing the game justice.

My main reason for posting was because im confused about the DLC, should I wait till I finish the game and get it or should I buy it now? I hear that it fits in the middle somewhere?

Im most likely going to leave the DLC alone till I have the time to fully enjoy it to be fair.

crispyben

Guys, I'm still playing the game, so I didn't read the whole thread to avoid being spoiled, and I have two questions:

1) I just finished Sequence 5 in Tuscany/San Gimigniano, synchronized all view points, and there's still a blank area to the west of the city on the map. Is it the same for you guys? Does it clear up later, or with side missions?

2) Has there been official confirmations that all three extra Assassin's Tombs will be sold with the Bonfire of Vanities DLC? When is that?

Thanks.

crispyben

crispyben said:
Guys, I'm still playing the game, so I didn't read the whole thread to avoid being spoiled, and I have a question:

I just finished Sequence 5 in Tuscany/San Gimignano, synchronized all view points, and there's still a blank area to the west of the city on the map. Is it the same for you guys? Does it clear up later, or with side missions?
Anyone?

crispyben

shagg_187 said:
question: is the preorder map shipyard ARsanel available for Free now that the game has been on shelves for a while1 '(ugh. Hate cellfone updating)
In France, it was part of the regular edition, or at least the first pressing. And yes, it will be sold with the Bonfire of the Vanities DLC (source).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Extremely LTTP on this but when you first
meet your Uncle Mario, and he says "Itsa me...Maaario"!!!
I was seriously :lol
It's a shame so many gaming websites included this in every single little video about Assassin's Creed 2 they made. I wanted it to be a surprise. :(

Talon

I 1000/1000'd AC2 a while ago, but I'm tempted to start a new game after my bud got a nice 42" HDTV. Game deserves a lot of credit for being drop dead gorgeous, while being an open world game.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
My friend who is a actress used it to say video games are not serious...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Best line ever.

Are the various collectathons needed to beat the game or can I just plow through the missions to get to the end? I think I'm about halfway through the game and at this point I think I would just like to finish it.

IE do I need all the assassin's tombs, codex pages, and glyphs for anything outside of extras?

Struct09

Sir Garbageman said:
Are the various collectathons needed to beat the game or can I just plow through the missions to get to the end? I think I'm about halfway through the game and at this point I think I would just like to finish it.

IE do I need all the assassin's tombs, codex pages, and glyphs for anything outside of extras?

You have to get all the codex pages, otherwise the rest is optional.

ZZMitch

Alright guys, I have a question... currently I am in sequence 7 and I am at the
part where you are having a vision of AS1 and have to chase some guy.
He runs into this big tower and I have to climb up it... So I do and I get to this balcony with a board sticking out that I presumably need to climb on... the problem is I can't get on it for the life of me! No matter what I do I just jump against the wall of the tower and fall back... I would show a picture but it would be a major spoiler so I won't. Anyone have this problem?

Tomasooie

When you run up a wall, you can press left or right and then A to jump in that direction. Use this technique to climb onto the board that's sticking out. Alternatively, I think you can just jump in place under it and Altair will climb on.

ZZMitch

Tomasooie said:
When you run up a wall, you can press left or right and then A to jump in that direction. Use this technique to climb onto the board that's sticking out. Alternatively, I think you can just jump in place under it and Ezio will climb on.

Yeah, I got it eventually... I guess I needed to stand on the wall of the balcony under the beam hold down the right trigger and press A. I was trying to climb on the door right under the beam but it wasn't working for some reason.

Can I play this if I didn't play the 1st one? I tried it a couple of times, read the plot outline somewhere, but the game was just too painful to play for me to enjoy it.

Thinking PS3. Good? How long to beat it?

Mr. Sam

Castor Krieg said:
Can I play this if I didn't play the 1st one?

Definitely. In fact, I'd recommend avoiding the shitty overriding plot arc that ties the two together. Sadly though, you can't.

Completed this game a few days ago and since played through the DLC and the assassination side missions.

Now I have no real interest in the other side missions because they seem a little dull, The assassination side missions where pretty interesting but the other side missions dont seem as good. Do they go beyond running through checkpoints and just having fistfights?

I loved the game and REALLY want to do more but right now dont see anything that really interests me in the gameworld :(

Im interested in the courior missions as the letters are pretty amusing, and the beat em up missions might be a quick laugh - but those races seem really badly done, is there anything interesting that comes from them, perhaps an amusing cutscene from someone you beat or something?

Castor Krieg definatly get AC2, theres a pretty weird plot and so if you know nothing of the first one you will be in for a suprise :lol but they do a little summary at the start and the gameplay is far superior in the sequel.

Either way I loved the overarching story, its really interesting, but if your just interested in assassinating people thats really fun aswell :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finished the game yesterday. Pretty mixed feelings.

The beginning and end of the game are awesome. Really nice story development and atmosphere. But the middle part of the game is really repetitive, you just seem to chase "yet another guy". Once I got to the part where I have to
get all the codec pages
I really sighed, but that turned out to be more fun than I thought.

Sidemissions are hit-and-miss too. Many of the side missions are totally awesome. I love the viewpoint climbing missions and the tombs. And the ones where you chase the guy with the red marker (never understood what that was). And the races are sweet too. Then, on the other hand, the feather collection is close to GTA-pigeon-stupid.

Graphics are equally uneven. This is probably the only game I've ever seen consistently look better in still screenshots than in action. Somehow in movement the character faces and the lack of grass textures and texture repetition stick out more.

As for the story, I'm still thinking the game might have been more powerful without the modern day meta plot. Being confidently medieval. It's almost if they were unsure whether medieval would be a commercially viable era and had the scifi plot as a marketing fallback.

Overall, the whole experience reminds me of Farcry 2. Equally uneven, with moments of awesome combined with moments of repetitive.

CoG

Finished it today after milking it for two months. Never played AC so the story is lost on me. The assassination parts were pretty boring for me but I enjoyed the exploring and climbing a lot. The assassin's tombs were my favorite part.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
lttp but wow the game was awesome up until the very end.
All the scifi and magic wizards stuff made me nerd rage
. I wish UBI would drop that aspect all together, but everything else was awesome!

Bluecondor

I just finished the last race mission. It took almost every ounce of gaming patience that I have to stick with this tedious format.

IMO, the "time trial" format with you having to run/jump through spots in a veritable full sprint is very little fun and mostly an exercise in frustration.

The thing that gets me is that they have these beautiful cities here. Instead of giving me 32 mindless checkpoints to hit in the second Florence race, why not make me run from the Palazzo Medici to the top of the Duomo in under 90 seconds or under 3 minutes or whatever, and then keep track of my best time?

This way - the "races" would really use the beautiful architecture in the city, and give you even more incentive to finish all of the viewpoints (which is one of my favorite things in the game). It would be great trying to find a way to shave off seconds from your time.

Instead, we have these absolutely mindless "races" where you are trudging through the city and chasing from light to light - while being punished every time you mis-time a button by 1/10th of second (there were two piles of crates in the last race in Florence that were absolutely unbearable because of this).

Bluecondor said:
I just finished the last race mission. It took almost every ounce of gaming patience that I have to stick with this tedious format.

IMO, the "time trial" format with you having to run/jump through spots in a veritable full sprint is very little fun and mostly an exercise in frustration.

The thing that gets me is that they have these beautiful cities here. Instead of giving me 32 mindless checkpoints to hit in the second Florence race, why not make me run from the Palazzo Medici to the top of the Duomo in under 90 seconds or under 3 minutes or whatever, and then keep track of my best time?

This way - the "races" would really use the beautiful architecture in the city, and give you even more incentive to finish all of the viewpoints (which is one of my favorite things in the game). It would be great trying to find a way to shave off seconds from your time.

Instead, we have these absolutely mindless "races" where you are trudging through the city and chasing from light to light - while being punished every time you mis-time a button by 1/10th of second (there were two piles of crates in the last race in Florence that were absolutely unbearable because of this).

I fully agree, I dont ever enjoy checkpoint time trials and so would have prefered your idea, or even conventional proper races against theves.

Your idea seems a little too similar to the courior missions however, so I guess they felt the need to diffrentiate the two, hopefully races are handled better next game

Ah I love this game too much to give it up, im using any excuse to prolong it now, im actually going to go for the feathers, when I love a game so much im willing to collect all the collectables you know its good.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If they're sticking with Ezio, I imagine that this won't be a full-fledges AC III, but more of a spin-off / expansion? Interesting.

Top Bottom