• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

duckroll

Y2Kev said:
Hm, I'm not sure I find Ezio's reaction to the (early spoiler)
assassin's outfit to be the one I would have taken. I would probably have been more conservative and not put it on, given that I was being hunted. And, even if I wanted to wear it, I don't know if that's what father wanted me to do! Now we finally begin the game.

Your reaction is the same reaction pretty much everyone has I think. It's just plain silly. :lol

Cyberia

Two more reviews:

EDGE:

Many players immersed in all Assassin’s Creed II has to offer will find these issues nitpicking. Certainly, Ubisoft Montreal has succeeded in welding a game to what once felt like a proof of concept, and without overshadowing its many strengths. Much devolves into mere stuff – one sword is much like another; a painting’s easily bought and just fills a hole in the wall – and once the story is over there’s little reason to replay it. At the end of it all, though, you’re left with that setting, those cities, and Ezio, and they lend the experience a substance that endures.

Gameinformer:

Assassin’s Creed II is a complex, mature, and engaging journey from beginning to end. It stands as a benchmark for design that combines innovative ideas with tried-and-true techniques to create one of the great games of this generation.

epmode

WTF, the PC version isn't out until 2010? I thought we were done with these ridiculous delays.

Oh well, at least I have 87923697234697 other games to keep me busy.

Miburou

Played the game (360 version) for a couple of hours and my impressions so far are:

- Nice graphics, although the character faces seem a bit low-poly. No noticeable screen tearing in the 360 version (thank god).
- For some reason the sound seems to skip a second every once in a while. Very strange.
- All the health I've lost so far is from falling because I pressed A to jump up and instead my character does a wall jump! :lol
- So far it's been mostly doing not-so-interesting errands, although the story did just pick up. Definitely a game with a slow start.

Well, I'm enjoying it so far and the city does feel very alive, and there's much to do compared with the first one.

"CONS: There is very little to complain about; the game truly is that good."
"CONS: It eventually ends"

Am I the only one that fucking hates when reviewers do this?

Y2Kev said:
Hm, I'm not sure I find Ezio's reaction to the (early spoiler)
assassin's outfit to be the one I would have taken. I would probably have been more conservative and not put it on, given that I was being hunted. And, even if I wanted to wear it, I don't know if that's what father wanted me to do! Now we finally begin the game.

What about when Lucy asks Desmond to
go into Animus 2.0
and he doesn't even fucking flinch or put up a fight?

JambiBum

After your first mission with
Leonardo
does he not show up on the map for awhile? I found some codex pages I'd like to take to him but I can't find him on the map.

ghibli99

I went from zero anticipation to anticipation overload in a matter of a day. I just ordered this and am really looking forward to playing it! Thanks for all the great impressions and the review scores have been excellent.

Ranger X

JambiBum said:
After your first mission with
Leonardo
does he not show up on the map for awhile? I found some codex pages I'd like to take to him but I can't find him on the map.

His icon is normally supposed to pop on the map when you have a codex.

Wow. I've unintentionally not followed Assassin's Creed 2 at all. Can't believe it's out already. I can't remember the last time I went into a game with a completely clean slate. Hopefully, it's for the better.

Plan on picking it up soon.

beast786

IGN AU Review
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1046020p2.html

"In terms of engine quality, however, the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions is literally night and day. Starting with the shocking difference in contrast and colour depth, the Xbox 360 version's high-dynamic range lighting is more intense and casts deeper shadows and renders a darker night. In our direct comparisons between the two games, the PS3 version looks noticeably flatter and more washed out, detracting from the ambience.

Assassin's Creed II might get muddled in its storytelling, but it's one heck of an adventure along the way.
The PS3 version also suffers from a lower texture resolution, which affects everything from facial details (you can see freckles and pores on the 360, but faces, lips and hair looks almost universally blurry on PS3), to wall and ground textures, leaves and particle and debris effects.

I know it's almost passé to rag on the differences, but it really does surprise us how large the gap between the two versions is."

Seriously. Is that true? :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
well looks like i'll have to pick this up at some point

i enjoyed the 1st game but couldn't finish it after i got to the 2nd or 3rd city since i did like every mission to get the full dna bar :lol

Solo

Whats insane to even ponder is that given how much I loved AC1 (only behind Mass Effect and Bioshock for my 2007 GOTY), is how much I will love AC2, if its even converted the AC1 haters.

I think Im probably looking at GOTY here.

Massa

beast786 said:
IGN AU Review

"In terms of engine quality, however, the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions is literally night and day. Starting with the shocking difference in contrast and colour depth, the Xbox 360 version's high-dynamic range lighting is more intense and casts deeper shadows and renders a darker night. In our direct comparisons between the two games, the PS3 version looks noticeably flatter and more washed out, detracting from the ambience.

Assassin's Creed II might get muddled in its storytelling, but it's one heck of an adventure along the way.
The PS3 version also suffers from a lower texture resolution, which affects everything from facial details (you can see freckles and pores on the 360, but faces, lips and hair looks almost universally blurry on PS3), to wall and ground textures, leaves and particle and debris effects.

I know it's almost passé to rag on the differences, but it really does surprise us how large the gap between the two versions is."

LOL IGN Au

beast786

Massa said:
LOL IGN Au

Are you suggesting they are making it up?

I didnt see anyone else with that bold of a statement between the two version.

My wife is picking it up either way. But i am just a little dissapointed by it.

Massa said:
LOL IGN Au
That lens of truth comparison posted a few pages back did show there was some differences between the shadowing on character models in the 360 and PS3 versions-- I think we all know the colour differences can be accounted for by adjusting your TV set though.
h2h_ac2_ps3_rollover_03.jpg

h2h_ac2_xbox360_rollover_03.jpg

I'd hardly suggest its a night and day difference either.

Ranger X

beast786 said:
IGN AU Review

This is really bullshit. I also wonder what the hell their TV is and if they turned the full RGB option and super white option ON. They don't look knowledgeable enough to do that.
I wouldn't even be surprised their image simply is more crushed on the 360 because of the TV they use or again because they could be on component cables instead of HDMI.
Games are also in the same resolution with the same textures. God I hate pseudo experts.

Zophar

These glowing reviews are all very welcome, the game had slipped off my radar. I loved AC1 for what it was, I'll probably give it a rent tonight.

Any news on the length of the game? Not counting collecting every collectible, of course.
I usually don't Platinum collection heavy games (I did inFamous though!).

Ranger X

blindrocket said:
Any news on the length of the game? Not counting collecting every collectible, of course.
I usually don't Platinum collection heavy games (I did inFamous though!).

This is a 10+ hour game if you do NOTHING and rush through the missions.
If you do everything it's in the 20-25 range.

Read impressions few pages back. Terrific. This much praise is totally unexpected. It's not a short game either. That's the best part. I loved AC1 very much so I'm gonna like this very very much.

aegies

Ranger X said:

You're high. I didn't so any side missions save for the tombs and the truth, and it took me around 20-25 hours to complete. It's a huge game, even if you're not trying to complete everything.

Ranger X said:

Wow. That's good news for a purchase. I was considering renting it. That's a little long for a rental.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
aegies said:
You're high. I didn't so any side missions save for the tombs and the truth, and it took me around 20-25 hours to complete. It's a huge game, even if you're not trying to complete everything.
The tombs and glyphs take a lot of time though, and it would be a real shame to miss at least the tombs. But yeah I'd say that by simply going from mission to mission and doing the minimum to get most of the armor upgrades it'd take about 12 hours to complete the game.
I've recorded 22 hours of footage and was at 62% of completion in the end.

Ranger X said:

I have a feeling its even longer than 20-25 (I'm not sure if the game counts transitions or the time wasted when you die). I don't know why anyone would want to rush through this game. You have way more motivation to do the side missions than in the first game.

Ranger X

Keep in mind that I played this game to death, i've been working on it.

Some testers can rush through the game in under 10 hours but yeah, I suppose the first playthrough is MUCH longer.

Long story short: Do not have any concerns about lenght, it's long enough.

wtf someone help, concerning the
symbol
puzzle

I accidentally backed out of it, it was this weird part with different paintings and I was supposed to choose the right ones or something...
can I get back to it?

Animal

Banned
I'm so weak. I caved in and got the collector's edition for ps3 over lunch. :lol

This is after being really disappointed with the first game and stopped playing early on.

brandonh83 said:
symbol
puzzle

I accidentally backed out of it, it was this weird part with different paintings and I was supposed to choose the right ones or something...
can I get back to it?
Yeah you can go to the menu and do it at any time I believe. I actually just sat there for 10 minutes doing every single combination until I got it :lol

Ranger X

brandonh83 said:
symbol
puzzle

can I get back to it?

You can resynch into uncomplete glyphs. Actually the puzzles are also "order specific" and not "glyph specific" so you don't even need to synch in the same uncomplete glyph to continue the puzzles.

DrPirate said:
Finished it.

Best game this year. Blows away EVERYTHING.

Better than Uncharted 2 imo.

WHA... I'll believe it when I play it, but I am not letting myself believe this going into it or I'm just setting myself up for severe disappointment I think. :(

newsguy

Ranger X said:
Long story short: Do not have any concerns about lenght, it's long enough.

It's very long, I'm happy. I just started buying treasure maps and there are tons of treasure chests in the city.

Ok, so you can get an extra scenario (Audiotore crypt) throught uplay.com. Also another stuff for the game. Really cool stuff, kudos for Ubisoft.

Saya

I need some help solving the puzzle with the paintings of
Attila the Hun, Samson, Alexander, the Great, Perseus, etc.

Filldough

Looks like all my hopes for this game to be an improvement over the first are coming true. Cant wait to dig into it tonight. Almost went to the GS midnight launch last night, kinda wish I did now haha. Good job Ubi, seems rare that a dev can take the amount of criticism they took over the first one and turn it into something so superior to the original.

Top Bottom