• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Dead

well not really...yet
So what is this UPlay thing?

I got some kind of Uplay point early on in the game, and there is some door in the Villa that says can only be opened through Uplay

Saya

Kobun Heat said:
Would probably help if you told us the clue.

I'm not playing the game in english, so I hope this translation is right.
But I have to select the 5 paintings, which feature characters that mowed down their enemies? Btw, it is the puzzle you get from Mario's Villa.

aegies

Grecco said:
Playing it now and theres some glitches in the first fight. Guys falling through the bridge its pretty weird.

Which platform are you playing on? This is the second time I've heard about major glitches, and I never saw them.

BigFwoosh

Dead said:

I got some kind of Uplay point early on in the game, and there is some door in the Villa that says can only be opened through Uplay
Just looked at that actually. You can earn achievements on UPlay and redeem the points you earn from them for in-game stuff, wallpaper, etc. Sounds pretty cool. You can buy an Altair outfit from it.

Undeux

Saya said:
I need some help solving the puzzle with the paintings of
Attila the Hun, Samson, Alexander, the Great, Perseus, etc.
I don't know if I've done that one, but in general I've found that you should just
look for an apple, or apple-looking thing in the picture(s). That seems to usually be the key.

Zeliard

Cool, I randomly called a Blockbuster near my work out of the blue and they had one copy of the 360 version available. I asked them to hold it and they did, and I grabbed it on my lunch break. :) Sometimes I'm glad that old relic is still around.

Now time to make these next 2.5 hours fly....

Edge said:
In fact, the writing throughout the game is excellent – a database, dryly written by our sarcastic limey, describes the history of many locations, buildings and characters with unabashed pleasure in the setting. And why not? Renaissance Italy was a crucible of cultural revolution and political intrigue, and Ubisoft Montreal makes the most of it. Indulging in a spot of virtual tourism, it’s hard not to share in its evident passion.

A codex? Beautiful.

Edge said:
And as tightly directed as most assassination missions are (one which we found devolving into a Benny Hill-style race around a quadrangle notwithstanding), the linearity will disappoint those who relished the potential of some of those in the original game, which presented the challenge of a heavily fortified quarry for you to take down yourself with your wits and skills.

That's a bit worrisome, though.

Saya

Undeux said:
I don't know if I've done that one, but in general I've found that you should just
look for an apple, or apple-looking thing in the picture(s). That seems to usually be the key.

Yep, that's true!
The earlier puzzles were about finding the orange looking ball thing, but I can't see anything like that in this one.

BTW, I'm loving the game. Really taking my time with it by finishing every available side mission in an area first before moving on to the main missions.

Ranger X

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

HERE'S AN ADVICE FOR ALL PLAYERS:

Don't shy up in collecting those codexs. You will thank me later.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Dead said:

Its basically a way for ubi to have its own private acheivement system and give you incentive to play more ubi games to unlock things inside of other ubi games.
Its something that somebody in marketing is responsible for pushing in all future ubi games i'm sure :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
RainbowByte said:
Its basically a way for ubi to have its own private acheivement system and give you incentive to play more ubi games to unlock things inside of other ubi games.
Its something that somebody in marketing is responsible for pushing in all future ubi games i'm sure :lol
Well at least this thing seem to unlock stuff in the game, so Its already more useful than trophies/achievements

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Dead said:
Well at least this thing seem to unlock stuff in the game, so Its already more useful than trophies/achievements
I think you have to look at it from another standpoint where its something they could have included in the game instead of making you play another one of their titles to unlock it.
Its similar to people that endure playing shitty games to inflate their gamerscore.

Dead

well not really...yet
RainbowByte said:
I think you have to look at it from another standpoint where its something they could have included in the game instead of making you play another one of their titles to unlock it.
Its similar to people that endure playing shitty games to inflate their gamerscore.
oh wait, guess I misunderstood. It doesnt get unlocked from playing the same game?

smh

Ranger X

RainbowByte said:

Not only that, I don't want to have 28 accounts for all the steps I need to go through before playing a game. Imagine someone buying a console nowadays...

1- turn on console
2- update firmware
3- boot game
4- update game
5- create account for dev
6- create account for publisher

I mean, it could go on and on.

Saya said:
I'm not playing the game in english, so I hope this translation is right.
But I have to select the 5 paintings, which feature characters that mowed down their enemies? Btw, it is the puzzle you get from Mario's Villa.
Five of the paintings
will have a sword or a spear or something prominently visible

Ranger X said:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

HERE'S AN ADVICE FOR ALL PLAYERS:

Don't shy up in collecting those codexs. You will thank me later.

Trust me when I say theres plenty of motivation in the game to convince people to do it when they tell you
that it will unlock your final memories

BigFwoosh

Dead said:
oh wait, guess I misunderstood. It doesnt get unlocked from playing the same game?

smh
I don't think it matters what game you earn the points with. You can use your points across multiple games if you want.

Ranger X

infinityBCRT said:
Trust me when I say theres plenty of motivation in the game to convince people to do it when they tell you
that it will unlock your final memories

Sure but aren't player learning about this right before
to Rome in the last sequence? Some people take it as a collect-o-thon shoved in their face to lenghten the game.

Pretty nice CE I must say. I realize that someone posted pics of the PS3 one but...

ACII1.jpg

ACII2.jpg

ACII3.jpg

ACII4.jpg

Ranger X

Wrath2X said:
Loving this game so far, pretty fucking awesome!

Also,
It's A-me Mario!
:lol

Man, I really I would have seen a comment on that reference way earlier than now. At least it made someone smile!! :)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Ranger X said:
Keep in mind that I played this game to death, i've been working on it.

Some testers can rush through the game in under 10 hours but yeah, I suppose the first playthrough is MUCH longer.

Long story short: Do not have any concerns about lenght, it's long enough.

unless the concerns are that it's too long :\

Az

Ranger X said:
Man, I really I would have seen a comment on that reference way earlier than now. At least it made someone smile!! :)

It has been already mentioned. Great addition though :lol

Ranger X said:
Sure but aren't player learning about this right before
to Rome in the last sequence? Some people take it as a collect-o-thon shoved in their face to lenghten the game.

No, you learn about it much, much earlier than that.
By the time you are allowed to roam Florence freely and are allowed to go to all the viewpoints, you should know by then that the codex stuff will unlock your final memories via Rebecca. I've already gotten all of the scrolls in Florence (although theres one viewpoint which I can't reach-- I suspect I need the flying machine to reach it so there may be one scroll I'm missing) and now I'm in the second large city that I'm allowed to freely roam everywhere (there are other cities I have gone to but wasn't allowed to go everywhere yet I think) and am just starting to collect everything in that city. I'm around 7-10 hours in, haven't even seen a sniff of Venice yet.

Zeliard

I just read a well-written review of this game from Gamepro, and I was rather puzzled by that until I saw that Gamepro newcomer John Davison wrote it.

Dead

well not really...yet
bistromathics said:
unless the concerns are that it's too long :\
I think its as long as you want it to be

If you play it straight through, just doing the main quests and minimal side stuff you can probably beat it in around 15 hours or less I'd assume

At the rate I'm going, I'm guessing I will have clocked in 30 or so hours when I beat the game.

Loudninja

Zeliard said:
I just read a well-written review of this game from Gamepro, and I was rather puzzled by that until I saw that Gamepro newcomer John Davison wrote it.
The review was way to long to be from a regular.:lol

RS4-

I don't know how many hours I put into the game but I'm almost finished and it feels awfully "long" for this type of game.

Mind you, this is based purely on doing the main story, glyph, codex and 6 medallions thing.

I'd guess I'd put in close to 15 hours or so.

Edit - I'm not doing the other side stuff because I found them really boring in AC1, not many achievements tied into them (aside from doing each one once I think), and money isn't an issue when you start fixing your villa.

Anyone have the solution to the
WW2
puzzle? I think it's number 17.

skip

brandonh83 said:
Guards get paid shit in this game. Robbing them is like robbing a 3 year old's piggy bank.

so is looting their corpse. probably intentional so you're not tempted to hang around and loot 5 or 6 bodies after every battle.

RS4- said:
I don't know how many hours I put into the game but I'm almost finished and it feels awfully "long" for this type of game.

Mind you, this is based purely on doing the main story, glyph, codex and 6 medallions thing.

I'd guess I'd put in close to 15 hours or so.

Edit - I'm not doing the other side stuff because I found them really boring in AC1, not many achievements tied into them (aside from doing each one once I think), and money isn't an issue when you start fixing your villa.

So your actually saying you think the game is too long for its own good? Thats a first.

pastacopy

Neo Member
Quick question: Do you guys play with the HUD on or off?
I played the first one with the HUD off and it made the game more enjoyable IMO. Is there anything essential in this one's HUD that I'll want to leave on?

Solo

CloakedPuppet said:
She's stayed very much out of the limelight on this one.

Actually, I dont think she is involved at all in this one. I do believe she has left Ubi Montreal (the AC team) to start up Ubi Toronto.

Ranger X

pastacopy said:
Quick question: Do you guys play with the HUD on or off?
I played the first one with the HUD off and it made the game more enjoyable IMO. Is there anything essential in this one's HUD that I'll want to leave on?

Well, you can spare with anything you want and seperately so but personally it doesn't make the game necessaruly "better" for me.
I like to see how much health I still have, wich weapon i'm selected on, etc. I could spare with the buttons up right and maybe the radar since you can open the map anyways.

Top Bottom