• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Zzoram

Ranger X said:
You're concerned with 10% more tearing but you're not by the gain in FPS? The PS3 isn't capped at 30 and that's why you have basically the same average FPS than on 360. Fact is the PS3 is climbing over 30 fps at certain moments. This gain isn't interesting for only 10% tearing? (the 360 version tears less because its capped 30fps)

They should've capped the PS3 version then (I'm actually pretty sure they did, considering that the Lens of Truth comparison showed the PS3 version at 30 for most of the time). Minimum framerate is more important than average.

Tearing is horrible, all games should require vsync. I never play without it on PC.

Zzoram

ultron87 said:
*has never noticed or been bothered by screen tearing*

Still buying 360 version, but not because of that.

I don't see how you can't notice it. It's so ugly and gives me a headache if it happens too much.

Hari Seldon

ultron87 said:
*has never noticed or been bothered by screen tearing*

Still buying 360 version, but not because of that.

Yeah I never notice it either. I'm not sure what it even is. I probably don't want to find out because then I will start seeing it and it will bother me.

This game is made out of love.

What a lame intro. I swear that was written by Michael Bay.

You're crazy. Crazy. Do not insult this game with that name. :lol

Escaping a building does not = Michael Bay! It actually reminded me more of The Matrix
:lol

Ranger X

Zzoram said:
They should've capped the PS3 version then (I'm actually pretty sure they did, considering that the Lens of Truth comparison showed the PS3 version at 30 for most of the time). Minimum framerate is more important than average.
Tearing is horrible, all games should require vsync. I never play without it on PC.

Capping and V-sync costs something. They decided to not use V-sync anywhere so the games can have a better FPS. They capped the 360 because it was running well enough to do so. As simple as that.

At some point you chose "smoothness vs tearing". I'm glad they chose smoothness.

I've gotta say the secret crypt platforming sections are fucking rad. I have a question though (potential spoiler?)
when does the Gamestop exclusive map, Palazzo Medici, open up? I went there earlier (had just met up with Volpe) and it was saying it was unavailable? Anyone know?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just got back from Gamestop.
Picked up:
AssCreed II Limited Edition (PS3) [What a stupidly huge box]
AssCreed Lineage (PSP)
AssCreed II Discovery (DS)

The PS3 game came with a voucher with two codes, each code for one bonus map.
Now I'm hearing that I should have gotten a third bonus map?

What's this about? Can someone please clarify?

kaskade

I decided to look out my window and see what was going on outside. Who do I see? Mr. Fed Ex walking up my driveway woooooo.

Ranger X

Mejilan said:
Picked up:
AssCreed Lineage (PSP)

Third map is only in the black edition.

anddo0

Mejilan said:
Picked up:
AssCreed Lineage (PSP)

So I take it you like the franchise?:lol

Any impressions on AC: Bloodlines?

anddo0 said:
So I take it you like the franchise?:lol

Any impressions on AC: Bloodlines?

I blasted through it in 4 hours; however, I got 6 weapons and 26K florins to start off with so it was worth it IMO. Game was not bad, story seemed barren but they referred to it in here so now I understand what was happening. If you want something to play on the PSP to keep you occupied for a bit, the bonuses for AC2 are worth it, so check it out.

Mejilan said:
Picked up:
AssCreed Lineage (PSP)

feedback on the DS version on this thread when you play it please. Thanks in advance!

MCD

360 version just froze on me while running from some guards very early in the game (just got my stealth blade).

i would have been pissed if it weren't for autosave.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
brandonh83 said:
This game is made out of love.

You're crazy. Crazy. Do not insult this game with that name. :lol

Escaping a building does not = Michael Bay! It actually reminded me more of The Matrix
:lol
No, I meant desmond's little monologue in the beginning. I've heard it a hundred times before in video games.

Barrett2

Just played through the first hour.
I talked to Veronica Mars, banged another girl, met Leonardo Da Vinci, and saw some screen tearing.
VIDEO GAMES!!

anddo0

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I blasted through it in 4 hours; however, I got 6 weapons and 26K florins to start off with so it was worth it IMO. Game was not bad, story seemed barren but they referred to it in here so now I understand what was happening. If you want something to play on the PSP to keep you occupied for a bit, the bonuses for AC2 are worth it, so check it out.

Thanks!

I'll check it out.. Now only if the PS store wasn't down :(

Loudninja

lawblob said:
Just played through the first hour.
I talked to Veronica Mars, banged another girl, met Leonardo Da Vinci, and saw a shit-ton of screen tearing.
VIDEO GAMES!!
Which version you get?

Ranger X

DeathNote said:
should i play it if i haven't played the first one? i'm asking again because we're on a new page.

Yes you should. It won't affect your experience and there's even a resumé movie at the beginning.

JambiBum

Question. When you buy a smelling salt from a doctor, how do you use it? I've bought three of them but whenever I go to use them it only lets me select it to see info about it but not use it.

duckroll

Ranger X said:
Yes you should. It won't affect your experience and there's even a resumé movie at the beginning.

I dunno, the movie in the beginning kinda sucks, and doesn't really tell us anything. Lol.

Shiv47

Were the Gamestop exclusives included in box or something they should have given me when I picked up the game? I haven't opened my copy yet.

Barrett2

Loudninja said:
Which version you get?

360. But I just edited my post, I wouldn't really say I have seen too much screen tearing. Only a few times actually. I think it just stood out to me because I remember it from the first game and was wondering whether they had addressed it.

Game is very beautiful, though. So far the city is gorgeous.

Maybe I should have watched the ending of the first game on Youtube... was that intro supposed to make some kind of sense?

Ranger X

JambiBum said:
Question. When you buy a smelling salt from a doctor, how do you use it? I've bought three of them but whenever I go to use them it only lets me select it to see info about it but not use it.

Open the weapons selector, select the salt, leave the weapon selector, use it (freehand button)

D-pad left is also a shortcut to use a salt.

Ranger X

duckroll said:
I dunno, the movie in the beginning kinda sucks, and doesn't really tell us anything. Lol.

Well, I dunno if I watched the same movie as you do but it told me alot of things and I could understand everything about AC2 partly because of it. I had no knowledge of AC1 story because I didn't play much.

JambiBum

Ranger X said:
Open the weapons selector, select the salt, leave the weapon selector, use it (freehand button)

D-pad left is also a shortcut to use a salt.

Thank you sir.

One more question.

On the first glyph you find,
where you have to pick the five mythic scenes, the ones with cupid and psyche etc., which five are they?
can't for the life of me figure it out.

omfg the women in this game are so badass.

during the pickpocketing tutorial, when you steal from one of the ladies there helping you one is all like "oh NO someone please STOP HIM..." and then they all start giggling

that was great.

duckroll

brandonh83 said:
Ohhh, yeah okay. Still... nowhere near as offensive as Michael Bay shit IMO

Michael Bay is an excellent director, and Assassin's Creed 2 should feel honored that Y2Kev has compared it to his awesome work. I personally don't see it myself, because while I think this is a great game, it just doesn't quite have the flair and dynamic pace that Bay would bring to a videogame. One day though, one day... :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
JambiBum said:
Thank you sir.

One more question.

On the first glyph you find,
where you have to pick the five mythic scenes, the ones with cupid and psyche etc., which five are they?
can't for the life of me figure it out.
Apple

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For he who asked, the voucher with the two map codes came INSIDE the stupidly huge box.
The two maps are:
Palazzo Medici (preorder bonus)
Santa Maria Dai Frari (limited edition bonus)

Ranger X said:
Third map is only in the black edition.

Black Edition? There's a third SKU?
Or is the Black Edition from another (non-U.S.) territory?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
duckroll said:
Michael Bay is an excellent director, and Assassin's Creed 2 should feel honored that Y2Kev has compared it to his awesome work. I personally don't see it myself, because while I think this is a great game, it just doesn't quite have the flair and dynamic pace that Bay would bring to a videogame. One day though, one day... :)
I look forward to the day when we have games where it is sunset or sunrise for 90% of the day.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My review is up, along with many videos:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_review_assassin_s_creed_2-8748_en.html

My conclusion:
Assassin's Creed 2 manages to correct all of its ambitious but flawed predecessor's issues, and even adds many new and for the most part interesting new things that add even more variety to the game. It's also a very long game (we finished it with 62% completion, clocking 16 hours in the Animus clock) that never feels like it's repeating itself. Assassin's Creed 2 could have simply been a very good sequel, but thanks to the great work done by Ubisoft Montreal it now becomes one of the must-haves on both the consoles it's being released on.

duckroll

brandonh83 said:
He could be. He just doesn't seem to want to be.

I know you're shittin' around

Oh yeah?

MV5BMjE1MDI2NDA0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIyMzEyMQ@@._V1._SX217_SY400_.jpg

It says it right there, "A Slam-Bang Action Thriller" from Mr Ebert himself. Bay is awesome, awesome is Bay.

I'm dead serious. No one fucks with my Bay darling!

Top Bottom