• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Ranger X said:
Well, you can spare with anything you want and seperately so but personally it doesn't make the game necessaruly "better" for me.
I like to see how much health I still have, wich weapon i'm selected on, etc. I could spare with the buttons up right and maybe the radar since you can open the map anyways.

What's the story of "." in all posts?

Gorki247

RainbowByte said:
I think you have to look at it from another standpoint where its something they could have included in the game instead of making you play another one of their titles to unlock it.
Its similar to people that endure playing shitty games to inflate their gamerscore.
No need to play any other games. Each game has four actions (linked to particular achievements) giving you 100 points in total and four rewards you can redeem for that same amount. So you can get all rewards from playing the one game. One of the rewards is even a theme; worth $3. It's a clever way of adding extra value to achievements.

Zeliard

I don't particularly mind it, since a more guided experience at the start of an open-world game before you're set free can be a good thing, but are the beginning portions of the game really as lengthy as the reviews say it is?

Before you're in full control of Ezio and can go anywhere - basically, before the point where the game truly starts. Some of the reviews are saying it can take 4-5 hours before you're there, which seems a bit high.

squicken

Okay someone needs to put up an online guide. These glyph puzzles can be ridiculous. Stuck on the one with the paintings, the key word is RED an you are supposed to place them in chronological order I guess.

a couple paintings are of Jesus, one is Death of Marat. More than 5 paintings have red, less than 5 have blood

RainbowByte

Neo Member
skip said:
so is looting their corpse. probably intentional so you're not tempted to hang around and loot 5 or 6 bodies after every battle.
Later on in the game, they'll drop throwing knives, smoke bombs and other things that are worth more.
Also richer looking crowd npcs in venezia give out a little bit more money when you use steal, but yeah at the start you are better off hunting down chests for cash.
The courier npcs that appear later are worth chasing down for 1500 florins

Zeliard said:
I don't particularly mind it, since a more guided experience at the start of an open-world game before you're set free can be a good thing, but are the beginning portions of the game really as lengthy as the reviews say it is?

Before you're in full control of Ezio and can go anywhere - basically, before the point where the game truly starts. Some of the reviews are saying it can take 4-5 hours before you're there, which seems a bit high.

Shouldn't be too much of a shock. AC1 had one of the most drawn out tutorials I've ever EVER ever seen.

Ranger X

Zeliard said:

This is bull. People except to be a full assassin from the get go and it's not the point of the game. There's a progression of the character now and a story. It gradual. You always learn new things and Ezio BECOMES an Assassin. This is where some people are missing the point. If there wasn't that start and they were plunged right in the middle of the game they would also complain (meh, starts wierd, don't understand the story, no character developement, etc)

Fact is that there's a small part in the present at first that is useful for the context of the whole game. It takes like 1 hour. After that you'll be Ezio but not yet an assassin. There's like 9 quick missions after where it's kind of an integrated tutorial but it also familiarise yourself with all the main characters.

Those whole thing I did describe here isn't 5 hours...

Barrett2

Zeliard said:

80 minutes in, I don't think im' anywhere near playing as "the assassin." It feels like im' just at the beginning of random-other-dude's adventure.

It's not bad, though. Its pretty interesting in its own right.

Cemperor

Neo Member
Even though I loved ACI (I did not rush it but played the game in 1-2 hour sessions) ACII is soooo much better. I'm enjoying all sidequests even right from the beginning without noticing it. This game is highly addictive and the story unfolds in a great way. I love the Italy Renaissance setting and I also think Ezio is an awesome character.

I'm around 3 hours into the game and have a blast playing it. I planned to switch between the ACII SP and MW2 MP but want to return to ACII everytime I turn off my Xbox 360 :D

All in all a GREAT game and for me personally a definite GOTY 2009 candidate.

Zeliard

Ranger X said:
This is bull. People except to be a full assassin from the get go and it's not the point of the game. There's a progression of the character now and a story. It gradual. You always learn new things and Ezio BECOMES an Assassin. This is where some people are missing the point. If there wasn't thing start and they were plunged right in the middle of the game they would also complain (meh, starts wierd, don't understand the story, no character developement, etc)

Fact is that there's a small part in the present at first that is useful for the context of the whole game. It takes like 1 hour. After that you'll be Ezio but not yet an assassin. There's like 9 quick missions after where it's kind of an integrated tutorial but it also familiarise yourself with all the main characters.

Those whole thing I did describe here isn't 5 hours...

I completely agree that it's a good idea to start things off slowly, and that they shouldn't just start you off as an assassin with no real build-up - I was just wondering if the 4-5 hour figure I've been seeing is in any way accurate (seemed too high to me). And even if it is that high, that's not something I'd criticize before getting to experience what's in those first few hours myself.

lawblob said:
80 minutes in, I don't think im' anywhere near playing as "the assassin." It feels like im' just at the beginning of random-other-dude's adventure.

It's not bad, though. Its pretty interesting in its own right.

Looks like the game is far more broad and detailed this time around, so the slow intro likely plays into that. If they want to meticulously show you everything and how it all leads up to adult Ezio chillin' in some city in assassin garb, it's probably because one of the first game's biggest failings was in the "show, don't tell" area.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Despite hating the original game, I'm thinking of getting this and trading Episodes From Liberty City (just not feeling it) towards it.

Has anyone done and in-depth comparisons between the 360 and PS3 versions yet?

timkunedo

Well i switched to the 360 CE because my Gamestop was out of the ps3 CE. The Ezio statue is freaking HIGH quality.....was pleasantly surprised. Installing now....can't wait!!:D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's amazing how asscrud2 is like.... a game. It blows away the first one in terms of being a game. Do you know what I mean? It's like actually a game.

Yeah.

Y2Kev said:
It's amazing how asscrud2 is like.... a game. It blows away the first one in terms of being a game. Do you know what I mean? It's like actually a game.

Yeah.

And people are posting about said game in said forum! I mean its a forum... about a game, being a game. Mind freaking blown! OMG! :lol :D

Mastperf

Lyte Edge said:
Despite hating the original game, I'm thinking of getting this and trading Episodes From Liberty City (just not feeling it) towards it.

Has anyone done and in-depth comparisons between the 360 and PS3 versions yet?
lensoftruth.com did a comparison.

Ranger X

bistromathics said:
oh my god i have to keep watching these unskippable cutscenes this is the worst first impression i've had in a long time

Jeez man, can't bare a little story on your first playthrough? I think there's no cut-scenes topping 2mins anywhere in the game. lol
Take some Ritalin.

So my jaw just dropped, environmentally speaking.

standing at the top of Mario's place where you sync the map... holY FUCKING SHIT

Boogie9IGN

I only played for about 35 mins last night but I was blown away. Took me a longass time climbing that one viewpoint in Florence :lol I just delivered a letter for my dad (I love his graphics :O )

RustyO

Thinking about grabbing this maybe tomorrow...

How does it compare versus AC1?

I kind of liked AC1, had some moments, looked gorgeous, but, how can I put it? The game play was lacking unfortunately.

The side quests were limited / boring (Pickpocket, protect, climb, rinse/repeat).

Didn't like the fact that no matter how I tried, most of the assassinations boiled down to get to area, trigger cut-scene, then perform the assassination. I wanted a lot more flexibility into how/when I performed my job.

But I guess most of my complaints of the first game are quite common... so, worth getting? Or just give it a bit of time first (Maybe finishing AC1 would be a good idea)

Y2Kev said:

Yeah.

That's actually really good to know. I liked the first one, but didn't feel that it was a real "game" in the normal sense. You just convinced me to get this!

Ranger X

RustyO said:

I kind of liked AC1, had some moments, looked gorgeous, but, how can I put it? The game play was lacking unfortunately.

The side quests were limited / boring (Pickpocket, protect, climb, rinse/repeat).

Didn't like the fact that no matter how I tried, most of the assassinations boiled down to get to area, trigger cut-scene, then perform the assassination. I wanted a lot more flexibility into how/when I performed my job.

But I guess most of my complaints of the first game are quite common... so, worth getting? Or just give it a bit of time first (Maybe finishing AC1 would be a good idea)

Use the internet you pay for. Seriously this has been talked to DEATH.
Now I know you don't want to look out for anything so I'll be super cool and suggest you read the opening post of this thread since it will fix all your worries.

Zeliard

RustyO said:

The consensus from the reviews and impressions seems to be that, ultimately, Assassin's Creed 1 was basically the rough draft to AC2's final term paper.

I'm about to boot it up myself. :)

CloakedPuppet said:
Pretty nice CE I must say. I realize that someone posted pics of the PS3 one but...

ACII1.jpg

ACII2.jpg

ACII3.jpg

ACII4.jpg

Is the collecters edition worth it? I still have to pick mine up.

Animator

Ranger X said:
RT + X after you learn it.

(R1 + Square on PS3)

Ah I need to learn it ok. Thanks!

--

this game is fucking amazing. this past 3 months are the best months of gaming in my life. Demons souls > uncharted 2 > mw2 and now AC2. I am in gaming heaven.

Ranger X said:
This is really bullshit. I also wonder what the hell their TV is and if they turned the full RGB option and super white option ON. They don't look knowledgeable enough to do that.
I wouldn't even be surprised their image simply is more crushed on the 360 because of the TV they use or again because they could be on component cables instead of HDMI.
Games are also in the same resolution with the same textures. God I hate pseudo experts.

can anyone confirm what IGN AU said about the PS3 version being that much worse? I thought in 2009 they would be identical

Loudninja

Ken Masters said:
can anyone confirm what IGN AU said about the PS3 version being that much worse? I thought in 2009 they would be identical

The PlayStation 3 version does suffer from some frame rate jitters, more frequent texture fade-in, and lesser color saturation. Both versions are still attractive, however, and apart from a few small flaws, you rarely get the feeling that visual compromises were made to make the game's open world run smoothly.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/assassinscreed2/review.html?tag=topslot;img;1

As is usual with multiplatform games these days, there really isn’t much of a cosmetic difference between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game; the 360 edition looks slightly sharper, while the PS3 is a little fuzzier and sports slightly warmer colors

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/assas...9111713085817004395/g-2009012817019669068/p-3

Also looks at all the impressions here.

Sean

Banned
I've only played for about half an hour, but it's pretty cool so far.

I like how the tutorial parts have been integrated into the story (
climbing up to your girlfriends window, then having sex with her and being chased away by the fathers guards,
etc).

edit: whoops, early game spoiler

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sean said:
I've only played for about half an hour, but it's pretty cool so far.

I like how the tutorial parts have been integrated into the story (climbing up to your girlfriends window, then having sex with her and being chased away by the fathers guards, etc).

Damn you and your spoilers. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have to say the pace of the game is really strange. Compared to the first, I mean. In the first, you had the measured assassinations-- like you'd do one and escape. You'd do one and escape. You had a definite climax and a definite lull. This game doesn't really have that. So far, everything feels very directed-- it's good, but I've yet to really enjoy a "run for your life" moment.

The social stealth stuff is much improved.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Christ @ Lucy's character model this time around. :lol

Terrible, isnt it? I dont know how, but theyve somehow made her look LESS like Kristen Bell :lol

Heres my original post about it:
Solo said:
AC1 Lucy, looking at least somewhat Bell-ish:
lucy.jpg

AC2 Lucy, looking somewhat trollish:
943187680d1254433725-info-assassins-creed-ii-1.jpg

WTF did they do to her nose? :lol :lol

Top Bottom