• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

duckroll said:
It says it right there, "A Slam-Bang Action Thriller" from Mr Ebert himself. Bay is awesome, awesome is Bay.

Ebert liked Tomb Raider and didn't like Gladiator. He's not exactly my go-to source for film criticism. :lol

duckroll said:
Oh yeah?

MV5BMjE1MDI2NDA0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIyMzEyMQ@@._V1._SX217_SY400_.jpg

"You're the man now dawg!"

Zeliard

Eurogamer said:
Assassin's Creed was a game where there was little you would go out of your way to do, so you rarely went out of your way. The biggest and most important change is that the sequel is completely the opposite. It's actually really difficult to steel yourself to focus on the story missions, because the cities of Florence, Rome and Venice, and the surrounding countryside, are so rammed full of desirable collectables that you can scarcely travel more than a couple of rooftops without diverting to take care of that tempting icon on the mini-map.

Yay.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Zeliard said:
They are right, except that (don't read unless you have finished the game or don't plan to, MAJOR spoiler)
There is nothing except a very short gameplay sequence in Rome

kaleii

Our review is up.

PS3bloggen.se - 9/10
Metacritic excerpt.
Assassin's Creed II is such an improvement compared to its predecessor that it feels like a completely new game, rather than just a sequel. The varied missions really shine and the narrative is very effective, in all it's Forrest Gump-esque glory. Despite the quite slow start, Ezios adventures in beautiful Florence and Venice both look and feel amazing, and are well worth experiencing to the very end.

Review in Swedish

... and the strange and unfortunate Google Translate version.

1up review
Assassin's Creed 2 is a much better game than its predecessor. For one thing, it's actually a complete game, possessing a beginning, a middle, and an end, where the original Creed had a very interesting beginning and a satisfying end connected by 20 hours of interminable grey tedium. And while this sequel may not feel quite as fresh as the first game's handful of exceptional moments did, it serves up a more consistently enjoyable experience from start to finish.

A-

dragct

Gamer365.hu review (hungarian)

9.5 / 10

[+]
- Fantastic main concept
- Revamped, more varied mission structure
- Boring, repetitive elements are gone
- More sidemissions and collectibles
- Money brought a lot of new opportunities
- A lot of small improvements

[-]
- The begginig of the game is a little bit slow

rhino4evr

SO im sure this has already been asked, but if I didn't play the first game, will I have any idea WTF is going on? The Eurogamer review made my head spin.

d0nd

Ranger X said:
Capping and V-sync costs something. They decided to not use V-sync anywhere so the games can have a better FPS. They capped the 360 because it was running well enough to do so. As simple as that.

At some point you chose "smoothness vs tearing". I'm glad they chose smoothness.

are u picking up the ps3 version?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Black Edition is for Europe only, right?
Not the US?

Is there any way to get the third bonus map that supposed comes with it here in the US, or will it hit PSN eventually?

Nizz

Blimblim said:
The hell. I disagree on about every point of their conclusion. They sound like they hated the game.

Edit: Some spoilers in GT's review, at least in terms of visuals.
With Gametrailers, that's nothing new. :( Thanks for the heads up Blim.

Costanza

Banned
Crewnh said:
For someone who hasn't played much of the first game, would it be okay to jump straight into this?
Read plot summaries on wiki or something. It's supposed to start right where the first game ended.

Crewnh said:
For someone who hasn't played much of the first game, would it be okay to jump straight into this?
I'm torn on this one. On one hand the first one had some really boring/repetitive gameplay and the mission structure sucked/was so artificial. I've played about 7-10 hours of AC2 and I'd say you do need to play the first one to get the whole scope of the story and it probably makes the story feel a little more epic.

Also even though the first one did have some repetitive stuff, if you stay away from doing the extra sub-missions, you'll have a lot of fun. The last 5 or so Assassinations in the first one are really fun because you the game lets you get creative on how you approach it.

duckroll said:
I dunno. He's a hot-blooded Italian youth from a rich family. Seems to me that he just fucks anything which has a willing hole most of the time.

The characterization in this game is sooooo good.

Hari Seldon

rhino4evr said:
SO im sure this has already been asked, but if I didn't play the first game, will I have any idea WTF is going on? The Eurogamer review made my head spin.

I played the first game and didn't know wtf was going on. I'm sure you will be fine haha.

El-Suave

Yes - managed to get a Black Edition sent to Germany from Austria. Awesome!
They had long been all reserved but due to a logical error in the shop software I was able to order although the button was disabled. And it worked, I still got one despite being late back in September.

They're unboxing it here (in Dutch):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1QPlE7s6hk

The Ezio Master Assasson figure seems to be pretty great.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hm, I'm not sure I find Ezio's reaction to the (early spoiler)
assassin's outfit to be the one I would have taken. I would probably have been more conservative and not put it on, given that I was being hunted. And, even if I wanted to wear it, I don't know if that's what father wanted me to do! Now we finally begin the game.

unomas

Banned
So excited to get this and to have picked it up for half of the retail price was amazing. One question, in all these side by side comparisons 360 games appear brighter looking at Creed 2 and MW 2, is there a reason for that? Can't wait to get my PS3 version of this in a few days!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm pleased with the positive reception to this game. I managed to enjoy the first, it was a "flawed gem" for me so if this one is a big improvement it'll probably be one of my favorite games this year. I had to pass on day 1 in favor of Left 4 Dead but it's next on my list. It's kind of a relief (to my wallet at least) that this is the last significant game of the year for me, after this I'm done until Mass Effect 2.

Top Bottom