• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am having a really hard time not going out and buying this game right now for the 360 instead of waiting till the PC version is released like I planned. Should I hold out for the PC version or should I just give in and go for the 360?

Baker

Banned
The CE is bigger than my fucking head.

50p7r8.jpg

zaidr

Enduin said:
I am having a really hard time not going out and buying this game right now for the 360 instead of waiting till the PC version is released like I planned. Should I hold out for the PC version or should I just give in and go for the 360?

When is the PC version slated to come out?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
zaidr said:
When is the PC version slated to come out?

Q1 2010. Not very specific so far sadly, but I just built a new PC and I like using it and know that the game will look and run better on it than the consoles, but at the same time I dont care to wait, especially with how good its looking.

sweetvar26 said:
Is the collecters edition worth it? I still have to pick mine up.

Well - it's 20 extra bucks. I got mine for no extra cash due to a pre-order deal. I'd say if you like figurines, it's worth it. The figure is a good size and nicely detailed.

Baker

Banned
I haven't been in this thread for awhile, but there was no Conviction demo code in my CE. I didn't know where the internet stood on that issue yet.

There is some add for Uplay on the back of the manual. It says for signing up you get:

* a dashboard theme
* carry five additional throwing knives
* Altair's outfit
* access to the Auditore family crypt

www.uplay.com

JB1981

I have an unopened copy of the PS3 version sitting here in front of me. I just watched the Lens of Truth comparison and now I'm scared to open it. I think the game looks pretty OK on PS3 but the 360 version looks slightly better and I hate knowing there is a slightly better version of the game out there!

Looks like the 360 version has a ridiculous amount of black crush, particularly in the night scenes.

Sai

Lucy looks weird now.

Love this game, love it to death. Huge step up from the first AC, and I enjoyed that one quite a bit despite it's huge flaws. The actual build up and execution of the assassionations I've gone through so far haven't been all that thrilling compared to some in the first AC though, that's about my only complaint so far.

Jesper Kyd delivers again. Soundtrack's beautiful.

beast786

I love Nolan North. But having the same voice in back to back game for me does take a tiny bit away. Because i just keep thinking about his last game. Hopefully that feeling will go away.

Love it so far.

DrPirate

Banned
beast786 said:
I love Nolan North. But having the same voice in back to back game for me does take a tiny bit away. Because i just keep thinking about his last game. Hopefully that feeling will go away.

Love it so far.

?

RainbowByte

Neo Member
JB1981 said:
I have an unopened copy of the PS3 version sitting here in front of me. I just watched the Lens of Truth comparison and now I'm scared to open it. I think the game looks pretty OK on PS3 but the 360 version looks slightly better and I hate knowing there is a slightly better version of the game out there!

Looks like the 360 version has a ridiculous amount of black crush, particularly in the night scenes.
The game has its own brightness control, you can make either version of the game darker or brighter and desaturated

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:

TAKE A XANAX

Sean

Banned
beast786 said:

Love it so far.

Nolan North is in like every freaking video game out there, even XBLA ones (Shadow Complex). I like the dude but he's overexposed imo.

RS4-

Black_Ice said:
So... what were people's thoughts on the ending? I thought it was awesome :lol
It was out of nowhere lol.

I'm having trouble finding the last glyph in Florence. There's one bridge in the south I can't cross and I'll assume that's where the glyph is, but it says the area isn't available; but the whole area shows up in the map lol.

That's the only glyph I'm missing.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Trying to burn through Assassin's Creed original before I crack open 2. It is calling me to try it, but I must refuse.

Good luck...I somehow managed to finish ACI last night and, holy crap, what a slog-fest! :lol

Still, the basic mechanics and environments have me very much anticipating cracking open ACII hopefully later tonight.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
RS4- said:
It was out of nowhere lol.

I'm having trouble finding the last glyph in Florence. There's one bridge in the south I can't cross and I'll assume that's where the glyph is, but it says the area isn't available; but the whole area shows up in the map lol.

That's the only glyph I'm missing.

I don't remember ANY of the glyphs I got. I found them on random. Some before I completed the story, some after, and three I got help on. But I don't remember any of the locations.

Keep looking though, what you get is kind of cool/interesting/ties in with the ending

Spruchy

I know this is doubtful but does anyone have an extra CE? My friend got one and as a lover of the first game I foolishly did not preorder it ;[ If anyone is willing to sell theirs please PM me!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Y2Kev said:
The first video on the animus desktop looks like
adam and eve?

Are you talking about the Truth segments?

It most likely is, but once you see the ending the full video [sort of] makes sense

OmonRa

I don't know if people realize this but:
you can actually read the Codex Pages once Leo deciphers them
if you go into the menu. Some are just images. Others have text.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
infinityBCRT said:
That lens of truth comparison posted a few pages back did show there was some differences between the shadowing on character models in the 360 and PS3 versions-- I think we all know the colour differences can be accounted for by adjusting your TV set though.
h2h_ac2_ps3_rollover_03.jpg

h2h_ac2_xbox360_rollover_03.jpg

I'd hardly suggest its a night and day difference either.

Wow @ AU IGN
Are they that dumb, theres no added texture detail, just the 360 version being too dark
And how come the PS3 version loses it's warm look in that screen:lol

RS4-

Black_Ice said:
I don't remember ANY of the glyphs I got. I found them on random. Some before I completed the story, some after, and three I got help on. But I don't remember any of the locations.

Keep looking though, what you get is kind of cool/interesting/ties in with the ending

Yeah lol, I'll boot up the game later and figure out the locations where I do have glyphs and figure out which one I'm missing.

I still can't solve the wwii puzzle :lol

TGO said:
Wow @ AU IGN
Are they that dumb, theres no added texture detail, just the 360 version being too dark
And how come the PS3 version loses it's warm look in that screen:lol

maybe they mean the detail of the shadows on the hood (in the smaller pics)

JB1981 said:

maybe ps3 version has better sound?

I tend to buy 360 for most multi games and ps3 versions of games like deadspace and stuff.

jett

D-Member
I cave in and bought the PS3 version. Fuck you Ubisoft for delaying the PC version, I'll just sell this thing when that comes out. Some early first impressions, mostly graphical stuff.

Right off the bat I'm almost regretting my purchase. The framerate is so-so. I have no idea if it's better than the original to be honest, I haven't played that in over a year and I've grown accustomed to the PC port of AC1. It cannot be called smooth. It never feels smooth. In comparison Uncharted feels like it's fucking 60fps. This is the last time I trust that lens of truth stuff. Truthfully it's very playable and manageable, but there's just something jerky about it. It does not do the animation of this game justice. BTW, I switched between 1080p and 720p and the framerate seems to be the same in both.

On the plus side the pseudo-1080p mode is SUPER CLEAN. It's one of the cleanest PS3 games I've ever played not called Wipeout HD. Really impressed with the image quality there. I rarely if ever see screen tearing too.

Graphically the lightning is much improved over the original, just the Abstergo facilities looks a lot more colorful. Actually I think they've altered the art direction for this game, yeah I'm pretty sure of that. Character models are more cartoon-ish and "hyper"-realistic than the first one. At first Desmond just looked all kinds of fucked up compared to AC1. :p The bleakness of AC1 is entirely gone, this game has an entirely different aesthetic. Not sure if I prefer it, for now. I never noticed this until I played the game, funny that. Overall the graphics are pretty nice.

Right now I'm super early in the game, only an hour in, so I haven't seen the improvements made to the game design, but so far I'm just having fun with the core mechanics of AC. I missed free-running, and the few side-missions I've played are all right, nothing too different from AC1. Checkpoint races and beating up people. The beginning is definitely lamer than the first game, which started in a really fucking awesome manner.

Surprisingly I'm experienced some issues with the controls, they can be very unresponsive, the game fails to recognize grab-able ledges at times. Guess it's a bit buggy. I'm sorry to bring UC2 again, but the controls of that game just feel much better. Everything flows there. So far this shit ain't flowing. The animation blending of AC2 is nowhere near as good either. It's not worse than AC1, but it seems like they didn't bother to improve upon it. The new quick-climb btw while really useful looks weird and makes Ezio resemble a monkey to be honest. :p It looks inhuman.

Honestly though the only flaw so far is the framerate. I'm having lots of fun with just the basic stuff. This is definitely getting sold though once the superior edition comes out. :p

edit: oh yeah, something else. One of the developers here said the PS3 was treated as the lead console. Bollocks to that I say. :p Explain the piece of shit compressed FMV that looks like it came out directly out of the 360 version, please

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ken Masters said:
maybe they mean the detail of the shadows on the hood (in the smaller pics)
Oh yeah :lol
I was looking at texture detail, but doesn't AC2 use dynamic shadows & lightening? so randomly casted?

aegies

RS4- said:
Yeah lol, I'll boot up the game later and figure out the locations where I do have glyphs and figure out which one I'm missing.

I still can't solve the wwii puzzle :lol

I believe the middle number is the hourglass and the other two numbers are blank on the codewheel. That should help.

Anyone here preorder the game from ebgames? I did and they said that the exclusive content code was suppose to be in the box but I didn't find anything.

jett said:
Right off the bat I'm almost regretting my purchase. The framerate is so-so. I have no idea if it's better than the original to be honest, I haven't played that in over a year and I've grown accustomed to the PC port of AC1. It cannot be called smooth. It never feels smooth. In comparison Uncharted feels like it's fucking 60fps. This is the last time I trust that lens of truth stuff. Truthfully it's very playable and manageable, but there's just something jerky about it. It does not do the animation of this game justice. BTW, I switched between 1080p and 720p and the framerate seems to be the same in both.

damn, is it like this also on the 360?

beast786

nOOBish question.

But how do i follow the main story. Are there markers to guide me. After my initial mission there is nothing there. Am i suppose to unlock missions etc...

Nemesis_

Looks like there's just a standard copy of the game packed into the Black edition.

Wish there was a SteelBook =(

Also, I know that Flags are out, but does this mean there are other collectibles available? Achievements speak of videos from Subject 16 or something.

I don't mind collectibles if they flesh out the story more.

JB1981

So I started the game and I'm completely hooked. Quick question about the gamma curve on PS3. Game is very washed out. I had to change the black level settings on my Panny PZ85U plasma to dark in order to get a rich looking picture. Usually when I do this it results in black crush but with this game it's nearly perfect. The game looks so much better now, pops with color (and doesn't kill shadow detail). Tearing is a bit of a pain but the game looks pretty great, next texture work and detail on character models. Looking forward to digging deeper into the game, very satisfied so far (love the NPCs, dialog and the voice overs).

I pretty much agree with Jett about the framerate, it kinda sucks really but I'm trying my best to look past it.

Barrett2

jett said:
Surprisingly I'm experienced some issues with the controls, they can be very unresponsive, the game fails to recognize grab-able ledges at times. Guess it's a bit buggy. I'm sorry to bring UC2 again, but the controls of that game just feel much better.

Im' experiencing the same thing. You will be on a building, try to climb up, nothing happens, you shimmy around for a minute, then try again, and your dude climbs up that time. Overall it does feel like the climbing mechanic is just a bit wonkier than it should be.

Loudninja

lawblob said:
Im' experiencing the same thing. You will be on a building, try to climb up, nothing happens, you shimmy around for a minute, then try again, and your dude climbs up that time. Overall it does feel like the climbing mechanic is just a bit wonkier than it should be.

Sounds like the same problem AC1 had.

Nemesis_

Okay, so a bit of a weird question, but Lucy is missing a finger in AC1 which obviously signifies she was an Assassin too.

However, Ezio is missing none and this is explained in pre-release interviews as DaVinci creating him a blade that didn't require a finger to be missing.

So, um, why is Lucy missing a finger?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have you noticed how open world games do platforming segments now? They're "underground." Always. Infamous started the trend! It's a good trend, I like parkour. :D

Top Bottom