• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Holy crap the carnival is the worst part of the game. It's the perfect "How to make the player stop playing forever instead of finishing the game". It SUCKS and I would have expected that at the start to teach free running or some such.

Zzoram

PowderedToast said:
is there any way to remove all armor? i've only been able to replace an existing one.

I don't think there is even a way to switch between armor you already own. I bought tier 2 armor, but then went back and bought tier 1 to be completionist, and it replaced my tier 2 stuff. I tried to swap it back in my menus but it wouldn't let me. I was pretty pissed off actually.

Zzoram said:
2. Pickpockets. Guards also chase after them. They drop 500f if you kill them. I'm not sure if they steal from you or not but I usually chase them. You could also be referring to Mailmen, which are trying to make a delivery or something and you can also kill them (first one is a trophy).

they will steal from you if they catch you walking slowly or standing still. got me twice...

Zzoram

Ether_Snake said:
Holy crap the carnival is the worst part of the game. It's the perfect "How to make the player stop playing forever instead of finishing the game". It SUCKS and I would have expected that at the start to teach free running or some such.

If it's so bad it makes you want to stop playing, why would they put it at the start? That would only make people stop playing before they got to anything good.

ZeroRay

Zzoram said:
I don't think there is even a way to switch between armor you already own. I bought tier 2 armor, but then went back and bought tier 1 to be completionist, and it replaced my tier 2 stuff. I tried to swap it back in my menus but it wouldn't let me. I was pretty pissed off actually.

There's an armor room in your villa where you can swap em out.

Gribbix

Zzoram said:
You can switch back to your old armors. However, you can't do it through the menu. You have to go to the weapons/armor room in the Auditore Villa to switch back to your older armors and weapons.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Zzoram said:
If it's so bad it makes you want to stop playing, why would they put it at the start? That would only make people stop playing before they got to anything good.

I mean there's already something like this at the beginning. Why have it at the end of the game, AGAIN? Plus it sucks. Things that suck shouldn't even be in the game period. It's a pathetic part of the game, totally breaks the flow.

Zzoram

ZeroRay said:
There's an armor room in your villa where you can swap em out.

That's annoying. At no point do they tell you this, and I assumed I could do it in the menus because when you examine any piece of armor, there is a greyed out up and down arrow that seems to indicate the ability to scroll through what you own.

Mana Sin

The carnival games were annoying sure,. but your reaction is far too severe. Plus, the fireworks are awesome.

Quick question: Why does the bank have three upgrade levels? I would have thought it would've been a one-time thing like the brothel as there's no discount rewarded; There's no actual banks in the game that you can visit and store cash in... Is there?

Zzoram

Mana Sin said:
The carnival games were annoying sure,. but your reaction is far too severe. Plus, the fireworks are awesome.

Quick question: Why does the bank have three upgrade levels? I would have thought it would've been a one-time thing like the brothel as there's no discount rewarded; There's no actual banks in the game that you can visit and store cash in... Is there?

I thought incorrectly that upgrading the bank increased your maximum money chest capacity. Apparently upgrading anything increases the money chest capacity.

Ether_Snake said:
chappelle-huh.gif

I don't know what you are talking about, it was extremely easy.
Didn't bring anything new to the table, I suppose, but yeah..... what?

Mana Sin said:
Quick question: Why does the bank have three upgrade levels?

No, no interactive banks. It's purely for show to get more people in the villa.

But there is your money chest in Monteriggioni. That's the only "bank".
Buying all of the upgrades and getting collectibles will get you a bigger amount of income per 20 minutes.

By buying all of the upgrades through the Designer or Decorator or whatever he's called amounts for something like 70% of the upgrades, the rest comes through the collectibles and buying weapons.

Talk to Claudia in the Villa office room to check your progress.

Mifune

Mehmber
You know, despite its frustrations (and there are many), AC1 has such a richness to its setting and story that I really do love it.

I'm determined to beat this game before I play AC2. Yeah, I'm a flip-flopper.

Does anyone know what happens when you get 100% Synchronization?

I don't know if it's worth it to go after all the rest of those goddamn treasures.

I just (finally) finished AC1 and then jumped right into AC2. 30 minutes in and HOLY SHIT this game is amazing. Most improved sequel EVER, even though I liked the first one.

To all of you who never played or finished AC1 and plan on jumping into AC2; play through AC1 first. You can breeze through the Altair parts, but make sure you do everything you can in the Desmond parts. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to do all the extra shit though, so don't do it.

comedian said:
Yeah, used :

http://www.n4g.com/pc/News-432319.aspx

and it took me 25 hours to get platinum with maybe 4 hours too get all feathers.and other random trophies(sand thrower/klepto..).

It took around 25 hrs and you're still saying "it only took one weekend to finish". :lol By this analogy almost all games can be completed within a week max.

Buckethead said:
chappelle-huh.gif

I don't know what you are talking about, it was extremely easy.
Didn't bring anything new to the table, I suppose, but yeah..... what?

It didn't bring anything new but it can easily be one of those parts where you might get almost perfect first run and then it's downhill after that. You keep trying and manages to go even less each time.

Best solution for this is take a break.

Y2Kev said:
oh my god, this game is
oh fuck why did I read that, you probably spoiled something didn't you... I thought it was some improper use of a spoiler tag to say that the game is shitty or something.

Oh and why do all game protagonists have to have Nolan North doing their voice?? Nathan Drake, Desmond, the Prince of Persia... I mean shit.

Buckethead said:
Does anyone know what happens when you get 100% Synchronization?

I don't know if it's worth it to go after all the rest of those goddamn treasures.

There is no achievement/trophy for collecting treasures. Thank god for that. Too many treasure chests.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
polyh3dron said:
oh fuck why did I read that, you probably spoiled something didn't you... I thought it was some improper use of a spoiler tag to say that the game is shitty or something.
See, this is what GAF gets for retards using spoiler tags to spoil their stupid jokes and retarded comments.

Spoilers contain spoilers. Sorry duder. It's not super major. Well, maybe it is. I don't know. It has nothing to do with the Ezio plot.

(I'm not mad at you, just mad at dumbass gaffers)

Y2Kev said:
oh my god, this game is 2012
Thats not a spoiler, the date is mentioned in the 1st game several times. The templars have a satellite launch planned for december 2012 or something. Supposedly if they put an apple of eden on it they would be able to control the entire population of the earth.

edgefusion

Zzoram said:
2. Pickpockets. Guards also chase after them. They drop 500f if you kill them. I'm not sure if they steal from you or not but I usually chase them. You could also be referring to Mailmen, which are trying to make a delivery or something and you can also kill them (first one is a trophy).

Yeah pickpockets and Borgia couriers. Don't kill the couriers otherwise you're immediately notorious, you might not want to kill the pickpockets either instead you can tackle them to the ground (R1+O on PS3) where they will start to beg for their life. Then you can kill them.

Oh and I agree with the Nolan North comment, he can only do one voice so I'm getting complete global saturation of Nathan Drake. Thank god he only voices Desmond and not Ezio.

Minamu

Zzoram said:
1. No

I've been pickpocketed so yeah, it's very possible to get robbed. He bumped into me & a pop up message told me to chase after him & when I did, I got my money back. Plus his :lol

Dave1988

Lostconfused said:
Thats not a spoiler, the date is mentioned in the 1st game several times. The templars have a satellite launch planned for december 2012 or something. Supposedly if they put an apple of eden on it they would be able to control the entire population of the earth.

I think he means the "2012" movie.

Y2Kev said:
I saw 2012. And then I beat the game the next day.

I feel like I've seen a 20 hour version of that awful movie now.

Mana Sin

His money is never a significant amount =/ If you're fast enough, you can catch him before he runs more than a few feet, using the hidden blades.

Is the Assassin Tomb skull device possible to create in real life? It really is a fascinating mechanism. I'd love to have one in my home some day, perhaps to open my closet or something.

Prine

Banned
Haha, pick-pockets DARE ROB ME?? I cant wait for this to happen. Whom ever does is in a world of hurt. Lets say im going to launch them from the rooftops.

Irish

Ok, this is now my favorite game of this Generation. (ACII>U2>ACI>U1>skate) I think I've put 48 hours into it already and it's been out for less than a week. I tend to ramble when I wish to talk about stuff, so just bear with me when I talk about some of my likes/dislikes/expectations for AC 3.

• Ancestor's Story.- The story is so much better in this one than AC 1. Hell, even Altair's journal is a hell of a lot better than his story in the first game.
  • Ezio.- His mannerisms and personality are incredibly endearing and come through in the gameplay. He's a humorous playboy/badass. He's like an entirely different character than Altair and I wasn't expecting that. His attacks have a lot more flair, even if some of them seem like the same attacks Altair used. Plus, his name doesn't sound as stupid as I thought it would. (Hard Z instead of the TS sound.) He has better style as well.
  • Better Supporting Cast.- Everyone had a lot more personality. You weren't told who to like or hate either (assassin wise). You came to that conclusion yourself. Well, everybody wants to beat the hell out of Sean. I like that though. I also disliked Antonio because he was kind of a dick to Ezio.
  • Upgrading Ezio.- I loved visiting all of the shops and buying badass armor/weapons and pouches. I wish each weapon in its subset felt slightly different though. The clothing dye was excellent as well. It seems like Forli had the better dyes though. I would have liked to start out with the Steel dye, move to Mahogany, and finish with Ebony. A better beige/tan would have been nice too, along with an olive green. I loved that Altair's armor was black, but it would have been cool to dye that as well.
  • Blood Splatter.- Nice! I was absolutely amazed when I first saw Ezio's clothing covered in red. Really nice touch.
  • Facial Hair.- It was really badass. Makes Ezio even cooler. Plus, Ubi was smart enough to not cover that massive scar up. I just wished he looked his age by the end of the game. The beard is not enough...
  • Smarter Enemies.- I kept getting hit by three people at once (usually the big guys). I wish they attacked me in turns every once in a while. It seems like that didn't occur for everyone though. Weird.
  • Parkour.- It just felt a lot better/faster in this game. The only time I ever fell is when I tried to make a jump that wasn't possible (too big of a gap between buildings).
  • Glyphs.- The puzzles were fun/challenging and the backstory associated with them was very satisfying. A nice break from regular gameplay.
  • Hand-to-Hand Combat.- Best thing ever.
  • Counter Kills.- There were a ton of them. Plus there were 5 for each weapon type outside of battle.

Dislikes:

• Assassinations/Escapes.- Why in the hell were they so bland and samey in this one? There was no joy in actually taking a guy out. The ending monologues sucked as well. In fact, they were hardly even there. This was the first game's greatest feature. Each assassination should have felt better in this one since you were getting your revenge, but every single one besides the Spaniard felt meaningless. I also missed Altair's great reverence of death and his human-like treatment of his enemies. I also missed hearing their secrets. Escapes didn't feel nearly as necessary this time.
  • Missions.- The mission structure was a little too linear. When I got to investigate the area first, I felt much better about the assassination. At least there were a wide variety.
  • Desmond's Story.- I absolutely loved playing as Desmond in the first one. You got to do cool stuff like reading through emails, talking to the doctor/Lucy, and pickpocketing them. I enjoyed those parts, although I know others didn't. Sure, I loved talking to Sean and Rebecca in this one, but I didn't like playing as Assassin Desmond. I really don't want to see a modern/futuristic version of the Assassins.
  • Lack of Guards.- I loved slaughtering them in the first one, but there weren't enough this time around.
  • Cool Equipment, but no real reason to use it. I didn't realize how cool the poison/throwing money was until after the game. The throwing knives seem toned down as well and the pistol is damn near useless.
  • Why can't I buy one of the berserker's weapons? I loved the pole weapons/axes/greatswords.
  • Where is Altair's dagger? I got his shitty sword, but I can't have his awesome dagger for some reason.
  • I miss having sheaths/scabbards for my weapons. I hate seeing a naked blade at my side and the dagger missing from my back.

What I'd Like to see in ACIII:

• More customization and upgrade options.
  • Different type of assassin.- In AC, we had the calm and collected assassin. In II, we had the showy and vengeful assassin. Why can't we have an assassin that is either mildly insane or extremely murderous and foul? Or, we can move between a couple of different assassin's with different personalities. For example, one of them can go rouge and the other can hunt him down or something like that.
  • More Weapons.- A staff with blades hidden in the wood on each end. A chain weapon. Just inventive, but also real weapons.
  • More Assassination Techniques.- Poison, hanging, etc.
  • More platforming techniques/tools (grappling hook)/things to climb on (big trees and rock walls)

I suppose I'll think of more later. I'm tired of typing now and my brain is just flashing different things.

Mana Sin

Seeing as Desmond is American (I think? He sounds it.) I think the next game, if another ancestor is visited, will probably take place in western Europe/the Americas. My reasoning for this is that Desmond's family would've had to migrate along that path to get him where he is in the present.

If he's in colonial America, then I don't think the free-running will be as... fun. Huts and small wooden buildings don't offer much in that aspect. If in either Western Europe or America during the industrial age, the game would probably have a bit of a 'steam punk' feel with all the locomotives and steam powered crud from back then. Also, the guns wouldn't be so advanced as to give an instant kill, if the assassin is wearing proper armor and all.

I doubt the next game would take place in South America, there's too much foliage. There's also very little motive to move into Asia as well.

I just don't really want a game completely consisting of Desmond the Assassin. AC2 has taught me a lot and I would like AC3 to do the same.

What say you, Gaf?

MechaX

Wow. It seems like my playtime today just grinded to a halt by a rather asinine glitch (apparently some people on other forums have encountered the same thing).

I started up an assassination contract in one of the later cities and encountered a random archer. After assassinating him, he immediately respawned. After killing that one, he started to respawn every second. As I type, Ezio is lost in a sea of no less than 70 archers on this roof top and I cannot wade my way through this crowd. I try to re-kill one, at least 5 more have spawned in the mean time. At this point, the framerate is at least in the single digits.

If I only had the ability to take a screen shot of this madness...

Edit: I let the archers continue spawning for another two minutes and the entire 360 just crashed in utter defeat.

Prine said:
They're really taking a swipe at Christianity though. Am i interpreting it wrong? Evil Pope's, Altairs bashing of religion (Codex pages) and so on. Like a Gaf debate!

Templars are getting rinsed pretty bad though, i thought they were looked upon as Hero's in Europe.

Oh two things:

1. Is it possible to up the difficulty? Running into fights, im not worried about defending myself.

2. Who are the guys that randomly start running away from me? What do i do?

To add on to #2

The ones with a lock on your map are the theives. The others dont show up on your mini map and they are the guys to kill.... 1500 Fl. Oh and if you corner them they just give it to you.

jett

D-Member
No offense to americans, but I would seriously be turned off if the next game it was set during the american revolution or whatever. I don't see the french canadians wanting to do that either. :p

jett said:
No offense to americans, but I would seriously be turned off if the next game it was set during the american revolution or whatever. I don't see the french canadians wanting to do that either. :p

I havent seen the end of the game but I wouldnt mind going way way back... like 32 A.D or something.

Prine

Banned
Mana Sin said:
Seeing as Desmond is American (I think? He sounds it.) I think the next game, if another ancestor is visited, will probably take place in western Europe/the Americas. My reasoning for this is that Desmond's family would've had to migrate along that path to get him where he is in the present.

If he's in colonial America, then I don't think the free-running will be as... fun. Huts and small wooden buildings don't offer much in that aspect. If in either Western Europe or America during the industrial age, the game would probably have a bit of a 'steam punk' feel with all the locomotives and steam powered crud from back then. Also, the guns wouldn't be so advanced as to give an instant kill, if the assassin is wearing proper armor and all.

I doubt the next game would take place in South America, there's too much foliage. There's also very little motive to move into Asia as well.

I just don't really want a game completely consisting of Desmond the Assassin. AC2 has taught me a lot and I would like AC3 to do the same.

What say you, Gaf?

I kind of hinted at this before, i was told the next AC will most likely take place in Europe during WW1 or WW2. The next great movement after AC2 would be Spain (Colonisation of Americas) and England (Britsh Empire) and i would love the backdrop to be either India (Bristsh Raj) or Spain. Would fit the political betrayals that AC loves to dance around.

Choc

Banned
Anyone else think that
Rosa (i think thats her name, the thief chick that gets hit with an arrow) looks like Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

jett said:

If so, I'd want it to take place post American Revolution.
And what about pigs and farmlife, walking through Jamestown with dirt paved roads and the like doesn't sound awesome?
I don't want them to do the crappy National Treasure conspiracy crap, but I think that would be a very interesting change of locale and far less cliche than China or Japan.

India would be cool but I don't think Desmond is Indian. Who knows how they'd spin it though.

Prine said:
They're really taking a swipe at Christianity though. Am i interpreting it wrong? Evil Pope's, Altairs bashing of religion (Codex pages) and so on. Like a Gaf debate!
?
Nah. Catholicism isn't really Christianity per se. Of all the denominations, it deviates from the script the most.
And it's historical fact that many of the popes were corrupt. There were multiple popes at one time all out for their own interests, vying for power, etc.

Like the little disclaimer says, it's created by a team of multiple faiths. And the game is fiction. It's not some hamfisted rant of a game either.

Choc said:
Anyone else think that
Rosa (i think thats her name, the thief chick that gets hit with an arrow) looks like Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

Yeah.
She looks like half Jade, half Elika from Prince of Persia.

jett said:

I would be too. I say: consider the gameplay, consider the look, then consider the story. AC2 rocked in all three. American Revolution would be a store for the first two.

Mana Sin

I just don't want to play as some stereotypical ninja with an overabundance of in-water assassinations. I also want the next Assassin to look as cool, or cooler than Ezio. Ezio looks awesome.

I haven't played AC 2 yet, but is there any impression that the next game could be set in ancient greece or roman settings, preferably the years leading up to reign of Julius Caesar?
They could do some interesting things with it.

It probably doesn't fit within the story (Knights templar, etc.) but it would be a wonderful setting.

Like some others have said, 19th century American setting could make sense but wouldn't be very interesting. Industrial England would be good, but it's difficult to imagine whom the assassination targets would be.

Zzoram

They don't even have to go forward in time. Since they are looking at clues using the Animus, those clues could be at any point in time.

jett

D-Member
Calavera520 said:
I haven't played AC 2 yet, but is there any impression that the next game could be set in ancient greece or roman settings, preferably the years leading up to rein of Julius Caesar?
They could do some interesting things with it.

It probably doesn't fit within the story (Knights templar, etc.) but it would be a wonderful setting.

Like some others have said, 19th century American setting could make sense but wouldn't be very interesting. Industrial England would be good, but it's difficult to imagine whom the assassination targets would be.

No.

I think the French Revolution would be a great setting. No matter what they pick though, topping Venice and Florence is going to be pretty impossible. :p

Zzoram said:
I highly doubt AC3 will be in Japan. It'll probably be somewhere else in Europe.
I'm down with London. I'd like it to be more dark and grimy.
But post American revolution seems the most ripe with culture. Europe's been pretty picked clean, imo, so either Asia, North America, or South America.
Seems to me NA is the only one that makes sense.

One thing I was disappointed with about ACII was Da Vinci,
he never does anything like...underground in the shadows, doing autopsies, trying to figure out anatomy etc.
He needed to be less one dimensional "EZIO I LOVE U 4EVR!!" and more complex, imo.

But it's an amazing game, I'm not trying to undermine that fact.
Just constructive criticism for AC3.

D23

after getting most of the achievement and played the shit out of AC II... do you think its worth it to play AC I? i never play the first assassins creed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
D23 said:
after getting most of the achievement and played the shit out of AC II... do you think its worth it to play AC I? i never play the first assassins creed.
I'd hire it.

Top Bottom