• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

FlyinJ said:
Ok, I can't figure this part out (Around memory chain 6-7):

I go into the dream sequence as Altair, and I chase his target to a tower that the target goes into. I then climb up this tower to a balcony... directly above me is a wooden plank sticking out, but I can't for the life of me get Altair to jump/reach to it. It's literally 6 inches from his hand, but he won't go to it. Have I missed some control along the way that allows me to grab things directly above me, or jump straight up and grab something?

Haha, I just posted about this on the last page. It was such a bitch to do such a simple thing. As Gribbix said...

"Stand under the the lamp post and jump straight up while standing in place. I think it's RT + A / R1 + X."

Gigglepoo

FlyinJ said:
Ah hah, I was finally able to run up the wall and get him to jump sideways. Very badly designed section there.

Yeah, I was stuck there earlier today. The camera got all screwy while I was jumping so I'm not sure how I made it, but I do know it was a bit busted.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why the heck didn't the templars attack Altair? Did he use the PE?

Not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but quick question:

I found 2 of the
glyphs on the sides of landmarks
, and once I solved each one the game displayed a different 5-digit number and said "Press X to enter keycode." Do I actually need that number for anything later? I wrote them down just in case but I don't understand why the game would show a keycode but make entering it automatic.

Sean

Banned
faceless007 said:
Not reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but quick question:

I found 2 of the
glyphs on the sides of landmarks
, and once I solved each one the game displayed a different 5-digit number and said "Press X to enter keycode." Do I actually need that number for anything later? I wrote them down just in case but I don't understand why the game would show a keycode but make entering it automatic.

That's just for show, no need to write em down.

Ephemeris

Finally beat it tonight. Went all the way to 1000/1000 on it, as I did the first one. AC2 definitely outshines it's predecessor for me in every area except one. That being the story assassinations. The assassin contracts helped made up for it though (killing 10 knights in 60 secs was fun:lol ) I guess I miss doing my homework/prep before a hit.

Hats off to Ubisoft though. Stunning environments. Loved the historical weaved in with the conspiracy stuff. Left me wanting more..

On that note, is Bloodlines any good story-wise? I've played about 30mins of it and I think it's "good." However, I don't wanna suffer through the controls if the story's not worth it.

On a side-note. I'm still not sure if I prefer Altair over Ezio (or vice versa).:lol

SuperSonic1305 said:
Palazzo Medici code for the first to quote this.

O__o me?

Sean

Banned
Collected all 100 feathers and the reward was pretty underwhelming.

You get ONE line of dialogue from Maria.
"Thank you Ezio for not forgetting about me." -- Then she sits on the bed and goes back to being a frozen mute lady that you can't interact with.
Seriously, what the fuck… Oh and you get a shitty cape which instantly makes you notorious in every city. I feel like I just got trolled by Ubisoft :lol

jett said:
Heh I thought DaVinci was just awesome. I loved his eagerness and how he would get excited about the smallest thing. :p

He was the best friend ever. My favorite part about him was when he
reinvented the hidden blade so it wouldn't cut off a finger; it was like "haha, thoes old assassin's were fucking idiots, I just reinvented it so you could keep your finger cuz I'm that good"

Concept17

duckroll said:
Every single assassination contract is unique. They're not randomly generated, and if you keep playing them you'll see that each has a write up summarizing why you need to kill these people, as well as each mission having slightly different approaches. There are a fixed number for each city, so eventually they will run out, yes.

ty

jett

D-Member
Oh man I've made a big mistake. A huge mistake. I ran AC1 on the PC at 1080p and compared it to AC2 on the same display.

I...I..can't play this thing anymore :|

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Another climbing question in Venice-

I'm trying to climb up to the observation point on top of the bell tower of Santa Maria Gloriosa (the church near Da Vinci's workshop. I've been trying to figure out how to scale this damn thing for about 20 minutes now. I get to the roof of the church, but I can't seem to climb up the tower from any of the four sides that I can access from the roof next to it. Any tips?

MCD

You know, I hope in the next game they do a better job with "time".

like when Eizo says it's been a whole year or so when the only thing different about him is the clothes.

Ephemeris

Sean said:

"Thank you Ezio for not forgetting about me." -- Then she sits on the bed and goes back to being a frozen mute lady that you can't interact with.
Seriously, what the fuck… Oh and you get a shitty cape which instantly makes you notorious in every city. I feel like I just got trolled by Ubisoft :lol

I love the cape! It's my family crest and it proves I don't give a fuck about the guards!:lol

But yeah, I was annoyed at the one-liner as well. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
Oh man I've made a big mistake. A huge mistake. I ran AC1 on the PC at 1080p and compared it to AC2 on the same display.

that always happens to me with LCD monitors. Luckily, the Plasma in our living room heals those wounds nicely.

jett said:

In 4 months just rebuy AC2 on PC. Well, it will be more than 4 months for me since March is packed and I'll wait for a better deal. But 4 months, AC2 at 1080p 60fps triple buffered OMG

jiien

FlyinJ said:

I'm trying to climb up to the observation point on top of the bell tower of Santa Maria Gloriosa (the church near Da Vinci's workshop. I've been trying to figure out how to scale this damn thing for about 20 minutes now. I get to the roof of the church, but I can't seem to climb up the tower from any of the four sides that I can access from the roof next to it. Any tips?

I did the same thing, pissed me off. Ignore it. You'll eventually get a story line event that will solve your problem. I don't want to be more specific, don't want to spoil anything.

Ephemeris said:
On that note, is Bloodlines any good story-wise? I've played about 30mins of it and I think it's "good." However, I don't wanna suffer through the controls if the story's not worth it.

There are only 2 plot points that I could see mattering in the grand scheme of things. They aren't anything major and I haven't started AC2 so I'm not sure they even play a part.

It's implied that Altair and Maria end up together and there is some kind of Templar archive that was moved from Cyprus when the Templars heard Altair was going to show up

Ephemeris

SuperSonic1305 said:
There are only 2 plot points that I could see mattering in the grand scheme of things. They aren't anything major and I haven't started AC2 so I'm not sure they even play a part.

It's implied that Altair and Maria end up together and there is some kind of Templar archive that was moved from Cyprus when the Templars heard Altair was going to show up

Ah, I see. Thanks!:D

Aspiring

jett said:
It starts with the assumption that you played the first game. It does not do a job at recapping things. You're better off reading the premise of AC1 to understand what goes on in AC2.

Thanks man, will definetly do so before picking it up!

Baker

Banned
I'm not complaining at all, but does this game ever end? :lol

I've been playing at least five hours a day since it came out and I'm only a little after
you fly around in the hang glider
. I get so caught up with everything else I never end up doing the main story missions unless it's the last resort. Well, except feathers, I don't care about those. I only have two glyphs left and I'm excited to see how that whole thing plays out. It's fucking fun figuring out some of those dial-a-number puzzles. I only have two codex pieces left too so I'm looking forward to solving the wall in your homebase.

Depending on the ending, this will probably be my GOTY beating out Batman and Uncharted.

Thoughts/Questions:

- How do you get other cloaks? There are two empty slots.

- Why does the ship have a huge fucking map icon when it's worthless? The fast travel booth can take you to the same places.

- Venice is awesome but holy fuck is it a bitch to navigate. I missed a glyph and spent half an hour trying to find the building again.

- Some of the assassination missions suck. The game gets wonky on those "don't get noticed" ones. Sometimes you can full out battle archers and get away with it and other times it's mission over if they even see you.

unomas

Banned
FlyinJ said:

I'm on the exact same part! Uggh.

Saterium

unomas said:
I'm on the exact same part! Uggh.

I did that for awhile too, ignore it, do some story missions and come back later.
Must've wasted 30 mins over two attempts trying to jump from crazy angles to reach the top.

unomas

Banned
Baker said:
Come back later on in the story. The same thing happened to me. THE LEDGE IS RIGHT THERE YOU MOTHERFUCKER GRAB IT!

Thanks, after 45 minutes I was about to throw the damn controller!

Sai

I spent a good 20 minutes trying to climb that tower too. :/

Baker said:
- Venice is awesome but holy fuck is it a bitch to navigate. I missed a glyph and spent half an hour trying to find the building again.
I think I actually had the most fun running around Venice. The only Glyphs I had to go back and search for were... The one in the Market in Florence, and the one on the Tower in the wetlands, next to the boat to Venice. The latter was an easy landmark to remember, and the Market in Florence is pretty easy to tell apart from the rest, so I had no problems with locating those...

But for players that passed on finding most of the glyphs until much later on in the game, I can certainly see how it would be problematic--especially in Venice. You can easily locate the landmarks on the game's map, but you can't easily tell which landmark is which.

Part of me wants to say that Ubisoft should have these landmarks identified on the map... But then, I also think that the game holds your hand too much already, and that leaving things this way actually encourages the player to explore, and familiarize themselves with the big cities.

Assassin's Creed sackboy maybe be coming out on the 24th what ppl are saying

29l0llh.jpg

Sean said:

Oh well, fuck feather collection and two achievements. I'm not gonna do it.

Baker said:
- How do you get other cloaks? There are two empty slots.

You get the
Venice one after completing most if not all the story missions there
and you get the
Auditore one after collecting 100 (all) of Petruccio's feathers.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
jump_button said:
Assassin's Creed sackboy maybe be coming out on the 24th what ppl are saying

29l0llh.jpg

That thing is awesome :D

OT:
got this game last weekend and it's def an improvement over Ass Creed 1, both graphically and gameplaywise. The texture-popup and dull combat-mechanics are pretty annoying, especially since this game is more combat-heavy than the last one it seems.
If you liked AC1 or avoided it for the dull side-missions, you'll love AC2.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Linkzg said:
He was the best friend ever. My favorite part about him was when he
reinvented the hidden blade so it wouldn't cut off a finger; it was like "haha, thoes old assassin's were fucking idiots, I just reinvented it so you could keep your finger cuz I'm that good"

That was pretty neat indeed, but
in the first Assassin's Tomb, the statue of the assassin has four fingers + thumb. So was the sculptur a bad one or did they already have wristblades that did not require you to cut off your finger and did Altaïr only do it to show he's bad-ass?

jett

D-Member
neorej said:
in the first Assassin's Tomb, the statue of the assassin has four fingers + thumb. So was the sculptur a bad one or did they already have wristblades that did not require you to cut off your finger and did Altaïr only do it to show he's bad-ass?

It probably didn't exist back then. The hidden balde is most likely an invention of the hashshashin from AC1.

RuGalz

Spent almost the entire weekend playing this game, trying really hard to like it; I'm probably 3/4 into the game at this point. The game has it's moments but the control really pisses me off. There are so many little irritating parts about the game. The control hints are always confusing and often simply won't work. How about give me an option to turn the stupid tutorial off that always pop up the wrong hint? Also, too often, Ezio would leap into the wrong direction than where I would normally expect him to. It's bearable if I can take my time. But it's out right BS during chase sequence or areas where you are timed. Did Ubisoft even focus test this game? Every time I think I'm starting to finally enjoying the game for what it is, 10 minutes later I'm about to break my controller, getting frustrated from the control, and have to take an half hour break. Similar thing happened when watching office mate and friend trying out the game. Seriously, wtf, it totally kills an otherwise a pretty decent game for me.

jett

D-Member
RuGalz said:
Spent almost the entire weekend playing this game, trying really hard to like it; I'm probably 3/4 into the game at this point. The game has it's moments but the control really pisses me off. There are so many little irritating parts about the game. The control hints are always confusing and often simply won't work. How about give me an option to turn the stupid tutorial off that always pop up the wrong hint? Also, too often, Ezio would leap into the wrong direction than where I would normally expect him to. It's bearable if I can take my time. But it's out right BS during chase sequence or areas where you are timed. Did Ubisoft even focus test this game? Every time I think I'm starting to finally enjoying the game for what it is, 10 minutes later I'm about to break my controller, getting frustrated from the control, and have to take an half hour break. Similar thing happened when watching office mate and friend trying out the game. Seriously, wtf, it totally kills an otherwise a pretty decent game for me.

You don't need to always go full tilt. When you're near a ledge you don't want to jump off from do not keep pressing the run button. But yeah the controls aren't the best. They don't give you much leeway for mistakes, actually when jumping from a ledge to another feels like Ezio(and Altair) only moves in 8 directions, like old 2D games. :p

Sai-kun

Banned
neorej said:

I think that Al Mualim put the whole "cut off your ring finger" thing into effect.

AkuMifune

Banned
jett said:
You don't need to always go full tilt. When you're near a ledge you don't want to jump off from do not keep pressing the run button.

Yeah I think most of the people complaining about controls are the ones always holding down RT and spamming A. You need to know when to climb, when to scamper and when to leap. It's a much more rewarding game when to take the time to be methodical, just like in the combat and assassinations.

conman

AkuMifune said:
Yeah I think most of the people complaining about controls are the ones always holding down RT and spamming A. You need to know when to climb, when to scamper and when to leap. It's a much more rewarding game when to take the time to be methodical, just like in the combat and assassinations.
Yup. Just like the first one that way. It rewards more thoughtful, experimental play styles.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
conman said:
Yup. Just like the first one that way. It rewards more thoughtful, experimental play styles.

Agreed,
especially for the dude you've got to kill in the abbey, I bid my time, waited for him to move into a nice location. After he stood still in front of a doorway, I dropped down, moved in from behind him, stabbed him, dropped a smokebomb, climbed to the roof and laughed my ass off looking at the guards searching the grounds for me.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Seriously, I hope that this game lasts forever. It's just so damn good. Absolute perfection. How the bloody hell did Ubisoft made a game this good, after a decade of overhyped, average games?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
TheCardPlayer said:
Seriously, I hope that this game lasts forever. It's just so damn good. Absolute perfection. How the bloody hell did Ubisoft made a game this good, after a decade of overhyped, average games?

It's pretty far from perfection IMHO. Civilians look too much alike, sound alike and the set of phrases they speak is pretty limited. Also the bards are annoying to the point of wanting to stab them (seriously, they are the new beggars), the texture-pop-up is terrible at some points, the framerate drops from time to time and theirs some pretty tearing to top it off (although the last two issues are significantly less intrusive than in AC1). Combat is pretty dull as well, especially when compared to the goddamn Batman.

Overall, it's a good game, but still pretty far from perfection. I'd say 8,5-9-ish on a 1-10-scale.

jett said:
You don't need to always go full tilt. When you're near a ledge you don't want to jump off from do not keep pressing the run button. But yeah the controls aren't the best. They don't give you much leeway for mistakes, actually when jumping from a ledge to another feels like Ezio(and Altair) only moves in 8 directions, like old 2D games. :p
I think what it is is that theres very little aim assist when you are jumping (and if they added more, you'd probably be clinging on to a bunch of places where you don't want to go at times), and obviously you can't change directions in mid air either. If you've ever played a FIFA game where you're kicking the ball ahead or in NHL where you are hitting the push puck button, its a very similar feeling, when you are kicking the ball/pushing the puck, your movement feels stiff because you can't turn the ball/puck after you've released it. In the same way, once you've jumped, thats it, you can't steer anymore.

Top Bottom