• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Solo

TheCardPlayer said:
Seriously, I hope that this game lasts forever. It's just so damn good. Absolute perfection. How the bloody hell did Ubisoft made a game this good, after a decade of overhyped, average games?

Well, lets not forget that Ubi did make Splinter Cell, Beyond Good & Evil, Sands Of Time, Chaos Theory and AC1. So in the midst of a lot of the shit they put out, they've always been putting out top tier stuff too. The problem is that there tends to be Ubi Montreal (SC, SoT, AC), and then Ubi everyone else (all the shitty games). When its Ubi Montreal making the game, it will be great.

neorej said:
It's pretty far from perfection IMHO. Civilians look too much alike, sound alike and the set of phrases they speak is pretty limited. Also the bards are annoying to the point of wanting to stab them (seriously, they are the new beggars), the texture-pop-up is terrible at some points, the framerate drops from time to time and theirs some pretty tearing to top it off (although the last two issues are significantly less intrusive than in AC1). Combat is pretty dull as well, especially when compared to the goddamn Batman.

Overall, it's a good game, but still pretty far from perfection. I'd say 8,5-9-ish on a 1-10-scale.
I enjoy the casual combat but I guess they should put a harder difficulty level for those who do want to die a lot :D. Its amazing that you rarely have to worry about dying, yet the game is still so long. There are so many games out there which extend their length but just throwing some very hard situations at you.

I do agree the NPCs are pretty generic, and the shops are generic too. I don't think every single shop in Venice looked exactly the same and I don't think they were all open air shops as well-- some of them probably had interiors. Would be nice if they did add a bunch of interiors and unique NPCs for the next game, thats pretty much the main thing I'd want out of AC3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
Well, lets not forget that Ubi did make Splinter Cell, Beyond Good & Evil, Sands Of Time, Chaos Theory and AC1. So in the midst of a lot of the shit they put out, they've always been putting out top tier stuff too. The problem is that there tends to be Ubi Montreal (SC, SoT, AC), and then Ubi everyone else (all the shitty games). When its Ubi Montreal making the game, it will be great.
Ubi Montreal usually do a really good job, but their only notable games this gen prior to AC2 were Assassin's 1 and POP08, which I was personally very disappointed with (in regard to AC1, it's clear that that game's dev time was primarily spent perfecting the engine, animation and other "window-dressing", with the actual scenario serving as a somewhat less-focused "LET'S HURRY AND FINISH THIS BEFORE THE DEADLINE" affair, while POP08 served as a worthwhile experiment that didn't completely pay-off, but should make for a great sequel, much like AC1 versus AC2).

But yeah, AC2 is a totally on-form game. It's good to them back on the ball now that the tech side of things is adequately realised. POP2010 should be great.

Rez said:
Ubi Montreal usually do a really good job, but their only notable games this gen prior to AC2 were Assassin's 1 and POP08, which I was personally very disappointed with (in regard to AC1, it's clear that that game's dev time was primarily spent perfecting the engine, animation and other "window-dressing", with the actual scenario serving as a somewhat less-focused "LET'S HURRY AND FINISH THIS BEFORE THE DEADLINE" affair, while POP08 served as a worthwhile experiment that didn't completely pay-off, but should make for a great sequel, much like AC1 versus AC2).

But yeah, AC2 is a totally on-form game. It's good to them back on the ball now that the tech side of things is adequately realised. POP2010 should be great.
Pop 08 was good... except for the part where if you played the PC version you didn't get the real ending! (DLC that continued the story wasn't available)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
infinityBCRT said:
Pop 08 was good... except for the part where if you played the PC version you didn't get the real ending!
the dlc didn't add anything to the narrative, I wouldn't worry

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Shito said:
Aren't they *supposed* to be annoying, though?

if they were just there to annoy you, fine, but they literally gang up on you. I had 4 bards surrounding me, I had to punch one of them to make room for me to move.

Amir0x

Banned
neorej said:
if they were just there to annoy you, fine, but they literally gang up on you. I had 4 bards surrounding me, I had to punch one of them to make room for me to move.

throw them some money!

jett

D-Member
Been playing some AC1, actually I recant my previous comparison. The gameplay still holds up well despite the existence of AC2. :p And it looks so fucking good on the PC, jesuschrist I can't wait for AC2 to come to the superior platform.

5wxwz8.jpg

2i91so1.jpg

LIKE A BAUS

However, playing AC1 for a while made me realize...what the hell happened to the awesome blood effects of AC1?

s48i02.jpg

Did Patrice Desilets pussy out on us? I knew there was a reason the kills in AC2 didn't feel as satisfying. :p I demand my realistic showers of blood.

comedian

MirageDwarf said:
It took around 25 hrs and you're still saying "it only took one weekend to finish". :lol By this analogy almost all games can be completed within a week max.

It didn't bring anything new but it can easily be one of those parts where you might get almost perfect first run and then it's downhill after that. You keep trying and manages to go even less each time.

Best solution for this is take a break.

Went quite of OCD on this and played a bit too much i admit :)

AC2 though unfortunately (in my opinion) lacks replayability value(unless you want to play it again to actually understand the ending).

PowderedToast

looks like i've come across a game breaking glitch. i exited out of the cutscene right after
you are accepted as an assassin in venice, it's the second time you see desmond after entering the animus.
i quit the cutscene because i didnt have time to play anymore, and now when i load it up im in an empty warehouse with absolutely nothing to do. i've tried everything and even managed to fall out of the game map. im selling this if i have to restart, i've done 20 hours already =/

Az

This game has so many technical issues, but its really fun. I barely every look at pop ins, tearing, etc. but this game makes me notice it all. I had issues getting used to the controls too, but it got much better.

I am a sequence 11 if I remeber correctly, don't want it to stop. Haven't touched MW2 in days because of this.

duckroll

PowderedToast said:
looks like i've come across a game breaking glitch. i exited out of the cutscene right after
you are accepted as an assassin in venice, it's the second time you see desmond after entering the animus.
i quit the cutscene because i didnt have time to play anymore, and now when i load it up im in an empty warehouse with absolutely nothing to do. i've tried everything and even managed to fall out of the game map. im selling this if i have to restart, i've done 20 hours already =/

Can you check what Memory Sequence you're in? It might not be a bug. If you're in Memory Sequence 14, then
you need to gather all the Codex pages on the wall, and align them right to show the entire map.

PowderedToast

duckroll said:
Can you check what Memory Sequence you're in? It might not be a bug. If you're in Memory Sequence 14, then
you need to gather all the Codex pages on the wall, and align them right to show the entire map.
i don't have the regular start menu because im not in the animus, i just get:

resume - general - controls - quit game

but i think i'd just finished memory sequence 11. i've read elsewhere that
i'm supposed to be turning on sensors but i don't get any prompts for anything whatsoever.
im almost certain my game save is fucked.

is there any hope that ubi will patch this?

duckroll

PowderedToast said:
i don't have the regular start menu because im not in the animus, i just get:

resume - general - controls - quit game

but i think i'd just finished memory sequence 11. i've read elsewhere that
i'm supposed to be turning on sensors but i don't get any prompts for anything whatsoever.
im almost certain my game save is fucked.

is there any hope that ubi will patch this?

Wait,
your game is loading INTO the hideout? You're not Ezio? Lol, wow I've never even tried quiting the game as Desmond. Care to provide more details? Like, where are the NPCs in the hideout located, can you talk to any of them, where is Lucy, etc.

I really hope your save isn't fucked, because this sort of thing is really the nightmare of all gamers. :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
duckroll said:
Wait,
your game is loading INTO the hideout? You're not Ezio? Lol, wow I've never even tried quiting the game as Desmond. Care to provide more details? Like, where are the NPCs in the hideout located, can you talk to any of them, where is Lucy, etc.

I really hope your save isn't fucked, because this sort of thing is really the nightmare of all gamers. :(

i lost my FF9 save back in the day with about 20 hours clocked. it broke my heart. then i just restarted and enjoyed the game from the start again, and it didn't seem like such a big deal.

I cannot believe anyone playing this game could get hung up about minimal texture pop in when the whole experience is so awesome.

Seriously lame.

PowderedToast

duckroll said:
Wait,

no npcs, no button prompts for the animus or any sensors, nothing. i quit during a cutscene and it seems like i've bypassed everything that was meant to happen and it's loaded me into an empty hideout.

LiK

there's a nice easter egg that i won't spoil where they explain why the world has italian even if you chose english. and they even mention the subtitles. i guess that's cuz i have that option on?, so awesome. kinda curious if it's different if i had the subs off.

duckroll

PowderedToast said:
no npcs, no button prompts for the animus or any sensors, nothing. i quit during a cutscene and it seems like i've bypassed everything that was meant to happen and it's loaded me into an empty hideout.

Sounds..... really bad. This is definitely something that you should try to contact Ubisoft technical support about. If they don't fix something like this, it would be pretty unforgivable. The freeze bugs and getting stuck in objects I can live with, but if I lose a game save, in a game which uses auto-save on a single slot, yeah I would be fucking pissed.

Hope it works out for you. :((((

Almak

I've put about 23 hours into this and finished it yesterday but I still cant stop thinking about it! Two days ago I had an honest to god dream about one of the locales in the game (
Rome
). :lol
Looking at it now, at what the series is potentially capable of kind of makes me sad that AC1 wasn't more refined. All of the missed opportunities! The things they could have done! Weird to be reflecting on it like that since I genuinely liked AC1 (literally did everything there is to do in it back when it first came out).
Oh yeah some of the truth puzzles are absolutely brutal (the later
decoder cyphers
= OMG)!

Ranger X

PowderedToast said:

Is this the second time you are in present time?
If yes, get out of the office and turn left and into the warehouse. You will need to speak to Lucy downstairs.

LiK

duckroll said:
Sounds..... really bad. This is definitely something that you should try to contact Ubisoft technical support about. If they don't fix something like this, it would be pretty unforgivable. The freeze bugs and getting stuck in objects I can live with, but if I lose a game save, in a game which uses auto-save on a single slot, yeah I would be fucking pissed.

Hope it works out for you. :((((

yea, the game has some pretty annoying minor glitches that happened to me too. ex: like those icons when a NPC spots you with that yellow arrow and it somehow is stuck over my head. a target icon in the minimap also somehow got stuck to my icon in the minimap for no reason. i had to quit out and reload my save to fix them.

duckroll

LiK said:
yea, the game has some pretty annoying minor glitches that happened to me too. ex: like those icons when a NPC spots you with that yellow arrow and it somehow is stuck over my head. a target icon in the minimap also somehow got stuck to my icon in the minimap for no reason. i had to quit out and reload my save to fix them.

Yeah I had 2 red targets (who I already killed) stuck on my map icon for the duration of an entire mission. I had to fast travel to another location and back after the mission to make them disappear. :lol

Baker

Banned
LiK said:
there's a nice easter egg that i won't spoil where they explain why the world has italian even if you chose english. and they even mention the subtitles. i guess that's cuz i have that option on?, so awesome. kinda curious if it's different if i had the subs off.
I have subs off and still got that little dialogue.

MDSLKTR said:
Whoa?! So the game is actually good this time :lol ? Might get it for christmas then.
Well depends on what you thought was bad about it. Because its pretty much still the same game. Just has more variety in missions you do.

jett said:
Been playing some AC1, actually I recant my previous comparison. The gameplay still holds up well despite the existence of AC2. :p And it looks so fucking good on the PC, jesuschrist I can't wait for AC2 to come to the superior platform.

http://i49.tinypic.com/5wxwz8.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2i91so1.jpg[/IM]

LIKE A BAUS

However, playing AC1 for a while made me realize...what the hell happened to the awesome blood effects of AC1?

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/s48i02.jpg[/IM]

Did Patrice Desilets pussy out on us? I knew there was a reason the kills in AC2 didn't feel as satisfying. :P I demand my realistic showers of blood.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I haven't really noticed anything graphically that makes the sequel superior in that category. The draw distance is a little better? That's the only thing that could come to mind.

Also:

Does anyone else get a huge grin on their face when they chase down a messenger and A. Get the money and then B. Kill'em? I love that shit. Bitches don't be runnin' be me!!

Nemesis_

Square Triangle said:
To be honest I haven't really noticed anything graphically that makes the sequel superior in that category. The draw distance is a little better? That's the only thing that could come to mind.

Also:

Does anyone else get a huge grin on their face when they chase down a messenger and A. Get the money and then B. Kill'em? I love that shit. Bitches don't be runnin' be me!!

To be honest, the graphics are better simply because there's a lot more interesting artistic direction at play. The world of Israel in AC1 was so boring compared to the locales you visited in Italy.

Nemesis556 said:
To be honest, the graphics are better simply because there's a lot more interesting artistic direction at play. The world of Israel in AC1 was so boring compared to the locales you visited in Italy.

Art style and graphics are not the same thing! But yes this sequel does have more variety in it's buildings and citizens.

Sorry if this has been answered

is it possible to get back into
the tombs
after you leave? because if not, I for sure missed at least one feather, so no 100% for me :(

Baker

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Art style and graphics are not the same thing! But yes this sequel does have more variety in it's buildings and citizens.
Yeah. The art style and level design of AC2 completely annihilate the original. However, the graphics aren't that big of a step up (if at all).

Sai

JodyAnthony said:
Sorry if this has been answered

is it possible to get back into
the tombs
after you leave? because if not, I for sure missed at least one feather, so no 100% for me :(
You can't. But here aren't any feathers in those things, so you can still get a 100% synch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe how much better Ezio's outfit is than Altair's. When the game was first unveiled, I was like, "come on guys, why not go for something a bit more original". Now, however, whenever I see or play Altair, I'm like "oh wow, I take back everything I said, the Ezio character model is amazing".

it's funny how standards change in two years. I used to pan the camera around the Altair character model and be amazed by it. Now it's just the standard.

Solo

Baker said:
Yeah. The art style and level design of AC2 completely annihilate the original.

Completely subjective though. If you're more into the Crusades, youll dig the AC1 aesthetic more. If the Renaissance floats your boat, then AC2 is going to wow you more. Personally I have more interest in the time period of AC1, so I doubt (but who knows until Ive actually played) Ill be proclaiming superior art design in AC2 over AC1.

Finally got to really sink my teeth into this since the release. Wow... hates off to Ubi. I just finished my second tomb and what an enthralling experience. Getting to the top was awesome. Yet thats just the tombs I'm talking about. Really everything in this game is top notch. One of the best sequels in gaming history imo. They definetly tuned their developer skills to 11 on this one.

Rez said:
I can't believe how much better Ezio's outfit is than Altair's. When the game was first unveiled, I was like, "come on guys, why not go for something a bit more original". Now, however, whenever I see or play Altair, I'm like "oh wow, I take back everything I said, the Ezio character model is amazing".

it's funny how standards change in two years. I used to pan the camera around the Altair character model and be amazed by it. Now it's just the standard.
Personally I think Ezio's outfit is too busy and I prefer the more minimal design of what Altair wears.

Baker

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
I want more Assassin's Tombs with guard chase like Visitazione's and couple of hours of platforming with puzzles.
You get an extra one through Uplay and I'm sure they'll put the CE stuff out as DLC.

duckroll

Hopefully in a month or two Ubisoft finds the time to put together a solid patch to this, before they start releasing DLC. Here's what I would like to see patched:

- Ability to replay all memory sequences, both story and sub-memories. Especially the Assassin tombs. This is a must. Make it like AC1 please.

- Fix the freezing bugs and getting stuck in objects when you fall from certain places.

- Fix the bugs where targets get stuck on the player icon on the minimap.

I don't think this is an unreasonable request at all, and I plan on supporting the game by buying any future DLC. It would be awesome if Ubisoft recognizes that and supports the fans in return.

Top Bottom