• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Baker said:
You get an extra one through Uplay and I'm sure they'll put the CE stuff out as DLC.

Oh yeah, forgot about Uplay. Gonna try it next.

duckroll said:
Hopefully in a month or two Ubisoft finds the time to put together a solid patch to this, before they start releasing DLC. Here's what I would like to see patched:

- Ability to replay all memory sequences, both story and sub-memories. Especially the Assassin tombs. This is a must. Make it like AC1 please.

- Fix the freezing bugs and getting stuck in objects when you fall from certain places.

- Fix the bugs where targets get stuck on the player icon on the minimap.

I don't think this is an unreasonable request at all, and I plan on supporting the game by buying any future DLC. It would be awesome if Ubisoft recognizes that and supports the fans in return.

In addition to these, I would also like

- updated map showing landmark buildings names
- option to disable on-screen tips. It's gets annoying because you keep getting it until the end.

duckroll

MirageDwarf said:
In addition to these, I would also like

- updated map showing landmark buildings names
- option to disable on-screen tips. It's gets annoying because you keep getting it until the end.

Yeah those are good suggestions too.

Also, I would like a Database section on The Truth itself. Either as a way to replay each puzzle whenever I want, or as a place where I can view the information/pictures/videos that were part of each puzzle, to have a better reference when piecing together the conspiracy.

I've really enjoyed fixing up my Villa. Every dime I make goes right back into restoring it at the moment. I didn't think it would appeal to me but I'm always thinking about it and it's nice to see it develop into a nice place.

I also just realized that you can pay your fight trainer to teach you special moves with various weapons. Are they worth it?

X26

Banned
CriscoDisco said:
I've really enjoyed fixing up my Villa. Every dime I make goes right back into restoring it at the moment. I didn't think it would appeal to me but I'm always thinking about it and it's nice to see it develop into a nice place.

I also just realized that you can pay your fight trainer to teach you special moves with various weapons. Are they worth it?

you'll have more money than you know what to do with eventually, so may as well buy them

Sai said:
You can't. But here aren't any feathers in those things, so you can still get a 100% synch.
whew! that's a huge relief. I saw something sparkling in the second one that I assumed was a feather, but it was too far away to go after. must have just been a treasure chest.

X26 said:
you'll have more money than you know what to do with eventually, so may as well buy them

Anyone remember what the limit on the Villa money is before my sister starts taking it? I know she told me but I can't recall the number.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
Personally I think Ezio's outfit is too busy and I prefer the more minimal design of what Altair wears.

I felt that way prior to playing the game when his design first came out, but Ezio's ornate outfit fits in superbly with the Renaissance setting and the style of clothing people wore then. He's still hardly the most inconspicuous guy in the world when he's walking around town dressed like, well, a highly fashionable assassin, but it's a great look.

I also love how his outfit becomes even more elaborate and elegant the better the armor that you put on.

X26

Banned
CriscoDisco said:
Anyone remember what the limit on the Villa money is before my sister starts taking it? I know she told me but I can't recall the number.

changes everytime your villa's value goes up, just go to the chest section of claudia's book and it will tell you the current max

Sai

Baker said:
WTF really???
Yeah, they're locked in the beginning. Completely forgot about them and didn't learn them until towards the end of the game.

They're worth it though, Sweep is good times.

Baker said:
WTF really???

Yea. Visit the trainer at your Villa and there are all sorts of training options for you to practice against different types of enemies and in different situations. One of the options is special movies for various weapons. They are like $10,000 to learn per weapon I think.

Baker

Banned
Awesome. Guess I know how I'm going to start out my play session tonight.

I wish it would let you mix and match armor pieces. I got the
Altair
set, but the greaves (I think) weren't as good as what I was previously wearing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Palazzo Medici bonus map was awesome. It was like an assassin's tomb inside Medici's house.

Zeliard said:
I felt that way prior to playing the game when his design first came out, but Ezio's ornate outfit fits in superbly with the Renaissance setting and the style of clothing people wore then. He's still hardly the most inconspicuous guy in the world when he's walking around town dressed like, well, a highly fashionable assassin, but it's a great look.

I also love how his outfit becomes even more elaborate and elegant the better the armor that you put on.
Eh I played with the Altair outfit and I liked it more than Ezio's standard outfit but yeah it doesn't fit in with the times that and the animations don't sync up properly so thats the down side to it. Really the best part about Ezio's outfit is the cape so it hides his weapons and hand.

Edit: Honestly I hope they update Altair's outfit and Desmond's hoody in the 3rd game.

UrbanRats

I'm in Venezia, after the
masked ball
mission.

I have HATED AC1, for real... but all this enthusiastic comments on here and from various friends, have led me to buy it, and.. THIS GAME IS GREAT, in fucking HEROINE.
i've brought NSMBW with it and barely touched it(not that is bad, i will enjoy that, after finish with AC2 :D ).

There are a lot of issue, sure, but overall it's addictive as hell.

Some things i didn't like:
-Firenze: Ok, maybe it's just because i see it every day, but i think, compared to San Gimignano, Venezia, Monteriggioni and Forlì, it's really monotonous, empty and... crappy XD.
Also, being myself half Florentine, half from the countryside(Maremma)places like San Gimignano reminds me of my gran'grandparents XD.

-Still need more free interpretation of the storyline mission such as assassination.. could borrow a bit from Hitman?

-Yeah, please, different Cut Scenes model. :lol

-I would have liked a better implementation of the various region's dialects.. before Italy was united, a Venetian and a Florentine, could have barely communicate, due to different dialect XD.. even if not THAT hardcore, they could have use the actual different accent of each region. (if you put Italian as the dubbing language, it's even worse, there are those sloppy cartoon dubbers with no intonation whatsoever.)
Rightnow, the character sound more Italian American, than Italian.
It's a bit like making a guy from Florida, talk like a French Canadian, or a New York guy, i guess. :D

-Why can't we buy two handed weapons and weald them on our back? WHY?!Broadsword it's SOOO cool!

--
Already waiting to hear what's in store for AC3 :p France XVIIIcentury?would be cool, Barry Lyndon like.

Also, i wonder how a territory system(à là San Andreas, but better XD)would work..
take control of San Gimignano
has been cool... hiring Mercenaries has been cool.. the two things together?Sounds interesting to me.
WTF really???

Yeah, i guess there are even a couple
achievments
involved.

Baker

Banned
UrbanRats said:
Already waiting to hear what's in store for AC3 :p France XVIIIcentury?would be cool, Barry Lyndon like.
I don't know if it would work for 3 or if they'd have to do a spin off, but I'd like to see them take it almost in a Timesplitters direction. Multiple characters in different parts of time...

I didn't even think about it until one of the Subject 16 rants when he talked about being
in the Civil War
or something along those lines. Hell, you could even have different gameplay styles if you wanted to get crazy.

UrbanRats

Baker said:
I don't know if it would work for 3 or if they'd have to do a spin off, but I'd like to see them take it almost in a Timesplitters direction. Multiple characters in different parts of time...

I didn't even think about it until one of the Subject 16 rants when he talked about being
in the Civil War
or something along those lines. Hell, you could even have different gameplay styles if you wanted to get crazy.
i guess the only constant wolud be parkour(i.e.:Complex structure?)assassination and important hystorical figure.

couple of things were flying through the internet, like Medieval England(dark and gritty, Demon Soul like?)Feudal Japan, WWII.. personally, as i said, i would like somethin' between 1700/1800, but as you said, you could realy go crazy with ideas... like a XIXcenturyLondonesque thing? Jack the Ripper style? that would be cool ethier. :D

LiK

sorry if this has been answered before, but is there a map for the feathers? people have been getting 1000/1000 and platinum and finding the feathers doesn't seem that easy. i don't see them that often.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Finally got to really sink my teeth into this since the release. Wow... hates off to Ubi. I just finished my second tomb and what an enthralling experience. Getting to the top was awesome. Yet thats just the tombs I'm talking about. Really everything in this game is top notch. One of the best sequels in gaming history imo. They definetly tuned their developer skills to 11 on this one.
The church of florence tomb was absolutely awesome and is the exact moment I fell in love with this game. One of the best platforming breath-taking experiences this generation.

TheExecutive said:
The church of florence tomb was absolutely awesome and is the exact moment I fell in love with this game. One of the best platforming breath-taking experiences this generation.

Yeah, beautifully done! :D I felt like a million bucks getting to the top!

Falt

I've been briefly skimming this thread on and off (just finished seq. 5) to avoid spoilers but I need to chime in and say wow. Fairplay Ubi, you've upped everything I liked about AC I and then some! Loving it, loving it, loving it.

infinityBCRT said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/23/uk-charts-modern-warfare-still-tops-assassins-creed-2-outperf/

Good news, AC2 sold 12% better than AC1 in the UK. Hopefully they will spend more time & money on AC3 if this is true of world wide sales.

That's good news but I hope they spend a little more time on this before moving on entirely. DLC and a patch for the small/minor bugs would be really nice. I also have experienced mini-map glitches.

Has there been any talk of DLC?

Sai

LiK said:
sorry if this has been answered before, but is there a map for the feathers? people have been getting 1000/1000 and platinum and finding the feathers doesn't seem that easy. i don't see them that often.
It's easier to collect them compared to the flags in the first game, anyways. There are no more than 10 in each district of the big cities, if I remember correctly. Try to scour the cities during the night, and look around with your eagle vision. Makes their glow much more apparent, even from a distance.

Surround sound helped me out a lot too.

TheExecutive said:
Definitely my favorite tomb.

LiK

Sai said:
It's easier to collect them compared to the flags in the first game, anyways. There are no more than 10 in each district of the big cities, if I remember correctly. Try to scour the cities during the night, and look around with your eagle vision. Makes their glow much more apparent, even from a distance.

Surround sound helped me out a lot too.
Ohhh thx, I didn't know they glowed with Eagle Vision, should be easier that way.

I agree about surround sound. I use it to look for the Glyphs. I almost missed some but I heard them and double checked and voilà! Found them. :)

jett

D-Member
Baker said:
Yeah. The art style and level design of AC2 completely annihilate the original. However, the graphics aren't that big of a step up (if at all).

To be fair both games look very, very different from each other. AC1 is much more realistic, AC2 has more of a whimsical, exaggerated fable-like look to it. The character design especially, I don't understand why I didn't notice this while watching trailers and shit. :p

...but yeah for sure the cities and level design of AC1 don't hold a friggin' candle to AC2. Abysmal difference. :p Even disregarding the inherent beauty of Florence and Venice, There's buttloads more variety of building design and all the cities are much more vertical. Like, considerably. And unlike the cities of AC1, which all three are pretty much the same thing with a different color filter, the places you visit in AC2 are all _very_ different from each other.

LiK

Buckethead said:
Jumping from the roof, double hidden blade kill is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Just sayin'.
I love when I block an archer upclose and Ezio uses both hidden blades and stabs them in the head. Awesome. :D

Baker

Banned
jett said:
...but yeah for sure the cities and level design of AC1 don't hold a friggin' candle to AC2. Abysmal difference. :p Even disregarding just the inherent beauty of Florence and Venice, There's buttloads more variety of building design and all the cities are much more vertical. Like, considerably.
Exactly. I think that's part of the reason some people are having problems with the control.

In AC1, the city was still pretty flat on the rooftops. You could hold RT+A forever and just jump around to your heart's content. AC2 actually requires you to think a bit and change directions/speed because the buildings don't all top off at the same level.

potentially an absolute ultimate spoiler regarding this whole series, do NOT read this if you dont want to risk it being spoiled.

it might not be even close (probably isnt lol), but i feel like i MIGHT be on to something here so i must share it even though it'll sound really stupid...

AGAIN DONT READ AS IT MIGHT RUIN THE WHOLE SERIES FOR YOU!!!

it's all a conspiracy related to, you guessed it: UFOs. why am i saying this? well it's very far-fetched but i actually know a guy who's friend is working on this series. and they are both HUGE conspiracy and UFO nuts. and some of the stuff at the end of AC1 are references to exactly what this guy i know has talked about... the Nazca Lines for example, visible on the walls at the lab in AC1. there are UFO myths related to them, that they were drawn on the ground for the "spacemen" to see... so i think this "friend of a friend" working on the series is responsible for the plotline at least to some extent. and knowing how crazy he apparently is about UFOs, i'm sure he will put that stuff in there somewhere... possibly some revelation at the end of AC3 about some alien intervention or something? lol.

if i turn out to be right, i'll be pretty surprised and shocked though. we'll see! if i'm completely off, then my detective skills really need some improving...

Spasm

CriscoDisco said:
I think it's always just 4x the 20 minute value, i.e. you can go 80 minutes before it's full.

I love fucking around in this game... Poisoning guards and throwing money at their feet is :lol :lol The humanity!

Solo

Who says they even necessarily need to move up in time with AC3? They could go backwards for all we now. Ancient Egypt or whatnot.

Baker

Banned
Spasm said:
I love fucking around in this game... Poisoning guards and throwing money at their feet is :lol :lol The humanity!
I've only got the poison to work once. Usually he just insta-kills with the hidden blade. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.

The
smoke bombs
are pretty hilarious if you run around and get 20 dudes following you.

Edit:
I am so fucking paranoid I'm going to accidentally click on that AC2 spoiler thread before I beat the game.

Baker said:
In AC1, the city was still pretty flat on the rooftops. You could hold RT+A forever and just jump around to your heart's content. AC2 actually requires you to think a bit and change directions/speed because the buildings don't all top off at the same level.
Well that and the fact that sometimes Ezio auto jumps to the wrong target or in some dumb way that makes you fall.

Baker

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Well that and the fact that sometimes Ezio auto jumps to the wrong target or in some dumb way that makes you fall.
I haven't had any problems traversing the rooftops. However, there have been a lot of bird shit places (especially in Venice) where he jumps to his death instead of going into the haystacks.

Spasm

Baker said:
I've only got the poison to work once. Usually he just insta-kills with the hidden blade. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.

The
smoke bombs
are pretty hilarious if you run around and get 20 dudes following you.
You gotta make sure you're selecting the poison blade with the weapon select wheel. There is no dpad shortcut for the poison blade.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Baker said:
Exactly. I think that's part of the reason some people are having problems with the control.

This is kind of why I think the focus of the game is now street-level. The rooftops in Asscrud 1 were basically an escape clause. You could go up there and just run forever, and, if you were caught, there were rooftop gardens everywhere. Particularly in Venice, there are gaps you just won't be able to jump in a quick and easy fashion. So you need to learn the navigate the street.

Which is good-- they fixed the social stealth stuff.

Sai

Baker said:
Make sure you've got the poison selected from the wheel, and not the Hidden Blade.

Which reminds me, I went through the game so quickly, some assassination side-missions didn't really play out the way I wanted them to, and I was kind of wondering... Remember that gameplay demonstration Patrice put on a long ways back? He showed an example of using the poison to have one of those brute guards kill the target for him. No mission actually played out that way, did it?

Y2Kev said:
Particularly in Venice
Seriously. The archers in that city are a pain in the ass. Tuscany too.

UrbanRats

Baker said:
I haven't had any problems traversing the rooftops. However, there have been a lot of bird shit places (especially in Venice) where he jumps to his death instead of going into the haystacks.
Yeah... i guess that's the only way you can die in the game :lol

Spasm

Sai said:
Which reminds me, I went through the game so quickly, some assassination side-missions didn't really play out the way I wanted them to, and I was kind of wondering... Remember that gameplay demonstration Patrice put on a long ways back? He showed an example of using the poison to have one of those brute guards kill the target for him. No mission actually played out that way, did it?
So far for me, no. The target has always backed off to safety whenever I poison one of the nearby guards. Maybe if I also threw money...

Sobriquet

Baker said:
It can't be used in combat. Also, as soon as you start free-running, it will default back to the hidden blades.

Ephemeris

Hidden blade > Dagger-class weapon > everything else.

I love fighting with the dagger. Looked so awesome back in AC1 once you get your counters going. Swords? Bleh.

Too bad there wasn't a dpad shortcut for it. Found that very very annoying.

Baker said:

One of my most memorable jumps happened when I accidentally jumped/fell off a really tall building, was falling backwards...

.. and fell into the haystack. :lol

Baker

Banned
Ephemeris said:
I love fighting with the dagger. Looked so awesome back in AC1 once you get your counters going. Swords? Bleh.
Yeah I just started using the dagger more often. I had a hilarious kill last night (probably common but leave me alone). Ezio stabbed the guy in the foot and when he keeled over, he ripped it out and slit his face vertically. I was happy.

The hidden blade definitely has the best combo finisher kills though.

For the most part the controls have been great for me. the only time i looked at it with a WTF in my mind is when I was hanging from a rooftop, locked on to a guard. the guard came around and i pressed square to assassinate him by pulling him off the ledge, but instead Ezio just jumped off the building to his death.

My favorite kill so far was when i was fighting a group of a few guards, and one of the guards Ezio just repeatedly stabbed him in the chest with the double hidden blade.

Top Bottom