• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Solo

Ephemeris said:
I love fighting with the dagger. Looked so awesome back in AC1 once you get your counters going. Swords? Bleh.

My favorite weapon in AC1 was the throwing blades. So badass to kill guys with ranged knife attacks.

Ephemeris

Baker said:
Yeah I just started using the dagger more often. I had a hilarious kill last night (probably common but leave me alone). Ezio stabbed the guy in the foot and when he keeled over, he ripped it out and slit his face vertically. I was happy.

The hidden blade definitely has the best combo finisher kills though.

100% Truth.

And I love the foot stabs. :lol

The butcher knife backstab cuts so deep that the blade comes out through your enemy's chest.

Assassin tested. Assassin approved.

LiK

Baker said:
Oh that explains it then. Thanks.

yea, only works when you walk up to the victim. pretty much my prefered weapon for most of the assassination missions. so friggin' hilarious when they go nuts.

Ephemeris

Solo said:
My favorite weapon in AC1 was the throwing blades. So badass to kill guys with ranged knife attacks.
Oh, I forgot about how great those were in the first one. I'm not sure if they were weakened in the sequel, or if it's simply I have more tools at my disposal, but I don't enjoy using them as much as I did in AC1.

Poison on the other hand? Love it. I'm halfway across the bloody map when I get the notification that my target is dead. Altair would be proud.

The berserk stuff is an awesome bonus though.

Baker

Banned
LiK said:
yea, only works when you walk up to the victim. pretty much my prefered weapon for most of the assassination missions. so friggin' hilarious when they go nuts.
I got really pissed off at a couple assassination missions so I just went super cheap and started using the
pistol

Solo

Ephemeris said:
Oh, I forgot about how great those were in the first one. I'm not sure if they were weakened in the sequel, or if it's simply I have more tools at my disposal, but I don't enjoy using them as much as I did in AC1.

They're at least in the game though? Nice. I shall enjoy using them again!

Sai

Ephemeris said:
They've been nerfed. Pretty sure they were a guaranteed 1-hit kill in the first game, but I think you have to take a guard completely by surprise for a single throwing knife to kill 'em now.

Can somebody make me a Rosa avatar? :<

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ephemeris said:
Hidden blade > Dagger-class weapon > everything else.

Completely agreed. The only time I switched away from the hidden blade in the entire game was if I was entirely surrounded by more than 5 enemies or so, which happened a handful of times. Those times I needed to be able to do non-counter damage which is pretty tough with the hidden blade. Aside from that, I just waited for the opponent to attack and stabbed them in the face.

I was a bit disappointed that the enemies don't keel over in terror when you stab one of their buddies in the eye with your hidden blade, like AC1. Nothing more hilarious than seeing them do that, and jumping right on it and using it as an opening to get a quick kill with the hidden blades. I don't know if there's a narrower window and it's still possible, but the only time I saw them do anything like that, I was stuck in the kill animation and couldn't take advantage of it.

Baker

Banned
Solo said:
I can't remember how strong they were in AC1, but in AC2 if the guard is aware of you in any shape or form, it takes two knives to kill him.

LiK

Ephemeris said:

they felt weaker, some archers needed two direct hits with the knives before they died. not sure why some archers died from one hit and others needed two. it's not like they were any different.

jett

D-Member
I think the hammers have more awesome kills. Especially the huge warhammer. :lol When you hit someone from behind, Ezio first cracks his back, and as the guy is falling he cracks his head, and then once he's on the floor he cracks it again for good measure.

The the way the camera is further away and the lamer blood effect make the kills in AC2 don't look as brutal as AC1 though. You can't really see the look of horror in your opponent. :p

UrbanRats

Fists counter are also crazy... especially the one that double slap the enemy on the ears, and then, go for two consecutively kneel hit on the face. :lol

When in Venice you got the
fight contest, to get the golden mask
, i've gone mad with them.

MMaRsu said:
Sex, weed and Assassin´s Creed

What a day :D
Don't forget to post it on Neogaf!

I just had the most amazing AC experience ever. I was robbed and as I'm chasing the bastard down a guard was also doing the same. Once I tackled him (the thief) and he says "Heh..no harm done right?", not a moment later the fucking Guard runs up behind him and knocks him in the head with his mace! And then the body falls off the roof.:lol :lol

I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as I did.

Almak

Did anyone else feel like counter-attacking got a little more unpredictable in AC2? At times it felt like I had the technique locked down but the game proved me wrong every time. It seems like at times the window of opportunity is immense. I could make one happen when the opponent just raised his weapon. At other times it seemed like they would only work the split second right before the hit landed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wish Ubi would take the Assassin's Creed counter/timing combat and bring it to some large scale Dynasty Warriors / Kingdom Under Fire type of game and finally replace that boring as shit hack and slash.

Then it would finally make sense for one guy to kill a hundred enemies! :lol

Seriously though. I'm serious. The combat is too bloody fun and gratuitous not to be the center piece of a battlefield brawler...

UrbanRats

recklessmind said:
I wish Ubi would take the Assassin's Creed counter/timing combat and bring it to some large scale Dynasty Warriors / Kingdom Under Fire type of game and finally replace that boring as shit hack and slash.

Then it would finally make sense for one guy to kill a hundred enemies! :lol

Seriously though. I'm serious. The combat is too bloody fun and gratuitous not to be the center piece of a battlefield brawler...
well, on that matter, i think Batman AA does it far better.

Sai

Square Triangle said:
I just had the most amazing AC experience ever. I was robbed and as I'm chasing the bastard down a guard was also doing the same. Once I tackled him (the thief) and he says "Heh..no harm done right?", not a moment later the fucking Guard runs up behind him and knocks him in the head with his mace! And then the body falls off the roof.:lol :lol

I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as I did.
:lol I went through something similar. Jerk was real hard to catch too.

Ephemeris

Archaix said:
Completely agreed. The only time I switched away from the hidden blade in the entire game was if I was entirely surrounded by more than 5 enemies or so, which happened a handful of times. Those times I needed to be able to do non-counter damage which is pretty tough with the hidden blade. Aside from that, I just waited for the opponent to attack and stabbed them in the face.

I pretty much consider the hidden blade the primary weapon in the game.
I don't know about you guys, but when I hire the mercenaries it isn't necessarily to fight for me, but to distract guys so I could hidden blade them in the back.
Solo said:
Yeah, but...
Sai said:
They've been nerfed. Pretty sure they were a guaranteed 1-hit kill in the first game, but I think you have to take a guard completely by surprise for a single throwing knife to kill 'em now.
LiK said:
they felt weaker, some archers needed two direct hits with the knives before they died. not sure why some archers died from one hit and others needed two. it's not like they were any different.

Yeah. Two knife throws to make a kill makes me a sad panda.

ultron87

So as it turns out smoke bombs are incredible.

I was doing one of the assassination contracts
where you have to kill 10 of the armored guards in a minute
and just ran up, dropped a smoke bomb, and went to work with the hidden blade on the stunned coughing guards. It worked really really well.

Ephemeris

ultron87 said:
So as it turns out smoke bombs are incredible.

I was doing one of the assassination contracts
where you have to kill 10 of the armored guards in a minute
and just ran up, dropped a smoke bomb, and went to work with the hidden blade on the stunned coughing guards. It worked really really well.

Not bad!

I walked up to them, poisoned 5 of them undetected. Then while they beserked and attacked their allies, I had my mercenaries attack the rest...

.. which was a cover of course. As I proceeded to stab the rest in the back, remaining undetected. :D

Haha:
9ftx5x.jpg

Had a great time with the game this weekend. Figure I'm at about halfway through or thereabouts. Highlight so far was a double aerial kill on one of the assassination contracts. :D

Baker said:
I've only got the poison to work once. Usually he just insta-kills with the hidden blade. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.

If you're in active combat, it won't work. Hire somebody to keep guards occupied. Get out of active combat. Make sure poison blade is selected, go near guard walking and poison him. It will work.

LCfiner

Cornballer said:
Haha:
9ftx5x.jpg

Had a great time with the game this weekend. Figure I'm at about halfway through or thereabouts. Highlight so far was a double aerial kill on one of the assassination contracts. :D

holy shit, that's pretty fantastic for such a silly joke :lol

got this game based on all the warm reactions and I've been hooked on it. I've renovated all of my villa and I'm taking my time finding treasures and codex pages. it's so awesome.

I've just now reached Venice and it's pretty shocking just how huge it is. wasn't expecting an environment this big to be revealed around halfway through the story. pretty impressive.

and I love finding the crazy "truth" puzzles. they're so weird and cryptic and those video clips are nice and creepy. I got around 6 or 7 left.

I've gotten frustrated a few times during chase sequences where I can't see far enough ahead of me to navigate the environment accurately but that's a minor fault in an otherwise wonderful game.

there's a ton more meat in this one than in the first and I look forward to getting my Villa up to 80% value (at 78% now) and trying a couple more assassin's tombs tonight.

I've collected 21 weapons. Only one left. Don't see it for sale at blacksmith's shop. Is there any weapon you get from somebody or from some place?

Sobriquet

MirageDwarf said:
I've collected 21 weapons. Only one left. Don't see it for sale at blacksmith's shop. Is there any weapon you get from somebody or from some place?
You have to collect 50 feathers for access.

jett

D-Member
Cornballer said:
Haha:
9ftx5x.jpg

:lol

Baker

Banned
Sobriquet said:
Arg. I was hoping I could give up on the feathers. They really don't do it for me. I'm completely anal about everything else, but I'm not going to spend three nights sitting on gamefaqs to find them all. I've played for like 25 hours and I only have 31. :lol

Sobriquet

Baker said:
Arg. I was hoping I could give up on the feathers. They really don't do it for me. I'm completely anal about everything else, but I'm not going to spend three nights sitting on gamefaqs to find them all. I've played for like 25 hours and I only have 31. :lol
It's actually really quick. There's some great feather maps on gamesradar. But it's totally not worth it just for the weapon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cornballer said:
Haha:
9ftx5x.jpg

So if you play with subtitles off you don't get the translations? Wow that sucks.

Ranger X

Free odd little trick:

Did you know that you can throw a knife at a witness or a pickpocketeer and if you hit him you'll get the money? :lol

Baker

Banned
Sinatar said:
So if you play with subtitles off you don't get the translations? Wow that sucks.
WTF they translate the random Italian dialogue if you have subtitles on? I'm learning a lot of things today.

Cornballer said:
Haha:

I did that with a certain arch bishop... and some poor sap that was having a hard time with his faith :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Baker said:
WTF they translate the random Italian dialogue if you have subtitles on? I'm learning a lot of things today.

Yep. They show the italian and then the english in brackets.

Mana Sin

Why is the bonus disc so bland? It only houses the trailers, some random interview, the sound track and two dev files. Why not all of them? It's a Blu-ray disc, after all..

Ah well, a new file in AC2 should cheer me up.

Edit: Wow, I didn't notice before that you could interact with the Assassin statues to get a short back story on them. And apparently
Asia has been visited by the assassin's before. There was one who killed an Emperor in China.
There's also a
Persian
Assassin :D

Sean

Banned
Baker said:

This is the guide I followed for feathers, you'll have it in no time (well, probably like 2-3 hours): http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/Assassins-Creed-II/index.php

It's broken down into regions which makes things much more manageable (you can see the region breakdown for feathers in Start > DNA), and when you click on a feather on their map it brings up a page showing you exactly where to set your custom waypoint marker and everything. Then just run over there and grab it.

Baker

Banned
Sean said:
This is the guide I followed for feathers, you'll have it in no time (well, probably like 2-3 hours): http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/Assassins-Creed-II/index.php

It's broken down into regions which makes things much more manageable (you can see the region breakdown for feathers in Start > DNA), and when you click on a feather on their map it brings up a page showing you exactly where to set your custom waypoint marker and everything. Then just run over there and grab it.
Thanks. The point I was trying to make is that I have no interest in using a guide in the first place. It's just not my cup of tea.

Can you keep playing once the game is over? That would probably be the only scenario where I'd bust out a faq.

Sobriquet

Mana Sin said:
Edit: Wow, I didn't notice before that you could interact with the Assassin statues to get a short back story on them.
Holy crap! I didn't know that either. I would turn on the game right now if my wife would stop playing Dragon Age. Stupid Alistair.

Mana Sin

Sobriquet said:
Holy crap! I didn't know that either. I would turn on the game right now if my wife would stop playing Dragon Age. Stupid Alistair.

AC2 just keeps on giving. I really hope Ubi offers a lot of dlc at low prices. I rarely ever buy the stuff, but I would definitely buy AC2 dlc day one.

Baker

Banned
Sobriquet said:
You can do that to the paintings in your art gallery too.

The Uplay bonus map also has a lot of backstory about your family bloodline.

Sobriquet said:

OmonRa said:
50 Feathers...

Crap. I hate feather collection. Even with guides. There should have been feather maps to purchase at shops like treasure maps.

What weapon is it anyway?

Baker said:
Thanks. The point I was trying to make is that I have no interest in using a guide in the first place. It's just not my cup of tea.

Can you keep playing once the game is over? That would probably be the only scenario where I'd bust out a faq.

Yes.

Baker

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
There should have been feather maps to purchase at shops like treasure maps.
I've typed that twice today and deleted it. :lol

I just figured someone would call me a hypocrite and say it's the same thing as using a guide. I don't think it is, but who knows?

Top Bottom