• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Muffdraul

That Penny Arcade is even funnier if you do a super literal translation of what those food names actually mean:

Target: "Little tongue noodles! Little ribbon noodles from the oven!"

Ezio: "Meat sauce, little toasts. Noodle muffs with crab and spinach."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ezio: "Food... from... THE SEA!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ezio: "Rest in fish, in crushed sauce, and in four cheeses."

ultron87

Sinatar said:
Yep. They show the italian and then the english in brackets.

It's really weird when you're playing with the Italian voice track and it still shows the Italian in the subtitles followed by the English in brackets.

I must say that I'm a huge fan of the Italian voice track. It makes everything seem much more authentic. Though it is weird the few times you jump out of the Animus.

Filldough

Baker said:
WTF they translate the random Italian dialogue if you have subtitles on? I'm learning a lot of things today.

Yeah, I played thru half the game without the subtitles and then turned them on so I could listen to my own music while playing, found out there is a lot of swearing in this game.

It does add a lot to Ezio's character being able to understand what he says to his victims though... Honor and respect for both life and death... I dunno, guess I just like the philosophy of the assassins.

Baker

Banned
Filldough said:
It does add a lot to Ezio's character being able to understand what he says to his victims though... Honor and respect for both life and death... I dunno, guess I just like the philosophy of the assassins.
I just pretend he's saying that Boondock Saints prayer.

Filldough said:

This part was handled better in AC1. In AC2, it is, most of time, this one line only. In AC1, target and Altair conversations were interesting. It also had intentional glitches where if you're fast enough to press any button, you see it from different camera.

MirageDwarf said:
This part was handled better in AC1. In AC2, it is, most of time, this one line only. In AC1, target and Altair conversations were interesting. It also had intentional glitches where if you're fast enough to press any button, you see it from different camera.

Though honestly it makes more sense for it to be short and sweet. I just freaking jumped and stabbed the dude in the jugular... I don't think he could carry on a 3 minute convo before dying! lol:D :lol

ultron87

MirageDwarf said:

It also seems to me that Ezio transitioned really really quickly from
repeatedly stabbing the first target in a fit of murderous rage, to being extremely respectful of the dead.
Though I guess
several years went by during that training montage? Right?

OmonRa

ultron87 said:
repeatedly stabbing the first target in a fit of murderous rage, to being extremely respectful of the dead.
Though I guess

After Vieri, Mario has a chat with him... hence the change.

Zeliard

MirageDwarf said:

I love it so much more in AC2. In AC1 Altair went on these long-winded, vaguely pretentious recitations to the guy he'd just stabbed in the face, and it just came off as awkward.

After you kill the first major dude in AC2, Ezio simply gives some terse statement like "and now you die." I thought it was a hilarious and welcome change.

Zeliard said:
After you kill the first major dude in AC2, Ezio simply gives some terse statement like "and now you die." I thought it was a hilarious and welcome change.
Sure until
Ezio gets bullets that teleport the dying body into his hands.

the way I always looked at the conversations were that perhaps when real Altair really killed them in the past, the killings didn't happen exactly the way Desmond as Altair killed them. Desmond reliving the killing (even though it wasn't the same way Altair/Ezio killed) was just a trigger for the memory. The "real" assassinations in the past left time for the dialog, and the actual dialog is what was locked in the memory.

It makes sense in my head, anyway.

jett

D-Member
ultron87 said:
Though I guess

Two years pass, if I remember correctly.

Sobriquet

JodyAnthony said:
the way I always looked at the conversations were that perhaps when real Altair really killed them in the past, the killings didn't happen exactly the way Desmond as Altair killed them. Desmond reliving the killing (even though it wasn't the same way Altair/Ezio killed) was just a trigger for the memory. The "real" assassinations in the past left time for the dialog, and the actual dialog is what was locked in the memory.

It makes sense in my head, anyway.
That's actually a good explanation. Works for me!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just the fact that ezio is a charming dude and not a total ass from square one like altair makes the game really inviting in those opening moments. he's got a scarlet pimpernel thing going on.

beelzebozo said:
just the fact that ezio is a charming dude and not a total ass from square one like altair makes the game really inviting in those opening moments. he's got a scarlet pimpernel thing going on.

This makes a world of difference for me also. Altair was such an unlikable character that it really dampened my desire to continue with the game. Same thing with prototype. I played it at a friends house and was just so repulsed by the main guy that I decided not to buy it.

I'm all for being a badass and seeking revenge and killing scores of people, but I really need SOME redeeming qualities if I'm going to play as that character.

EzLink

Banned
So I have a test coming up in Humanities where we have to identify Renaissance paintings. I didn't feel like studying, until I realized almost all of the paintings on the test are available for purchase in Assassin's Creed II :lol

Whoever said video games weren't educational?

Baker

Banned
EzLink said:
So I have a test coming up in Humanities where we have to identify Renaissance paintings. I didn't feel like studying, until I realized almost all of the paintings on the test are available for purchase in Assassin's Creed II :lol

That's frickin' hilarious.

Sean

Banned
I've come to the conclusion that fighting with your bare fists is the way to go in this game. Block and counter and you snatch the enemies weapon and kill him with it so easily. I even did it to one of those heavily armored Brute guys with the huge axe.

The disarm stuff is sort of overpowered imo now that I think about it.

jett

D-Member
Sean said:
I've come to the conclusion that fighting with your bare fists is the way to go in this game. Block and counter and you snatch the enemies weapon and kill him with it so easily. I even did it to one of those heavily armored Brute guys with the huge axe.

It's really hard to grab the weapons of the agiles unless they're really weak. Fist-only doesn't work for me. Fists are terrible at doing combo-attacks, which is what you need to do to quickly dispatch agiles. :p Disarm btw is exactly the manner in how the Brutes are meant to be defeated. :p

Instant-disarm works on all the rest of the enemy types though, and I agree it's kind of overpowered, but then again if you got the counter timing down pat you might as well stick with the hidden blade which is instant kill on anyone if you pull it off. It's really really cheap that you can block with it now, in AC1 you couldn't, which made it much riskier.

I don't get the toned down difficulty of AC2. The first game was already really really really easy.

Irish

Disarming always works on agiles for me, but the brutes and regular soldiers will sometimes kick me in the nuts if I try.

Me said:
Eugène François Vidocq

An Assassin who infiltrates the Templar order!!! (Lucy wasn't the first...)

I'd just like to see this guy in some way in the next game if it moves forward in time without going completely modern (which I really don't think I'd like). Instead of being an Assassin, he could be a third party who notices the conflict between the two sects and tries to intervene.

I'm not a Vidocq fanboy, but AC II instantly made me think of him.

sangreal

Sean said:

I use fists/cestus as my primary weapon just because I really enjoy the sound effect, but I agree disarm is really overpowered

Filldough

EzLink said:

Dude! I was an art major and had to take quite a few art history classes. Its awesome seeing so much of the history in a game. I've even learned some new things about some of the buildings which is really cool.

If you need advice for identifying paintings, draw a little thumbnail sketch along with title date and any other relevant info you might need. For some reason drawing the image yourself (even if its super craptastic) seems to help me remember the images much better. Plus its 10 times faster than skimming a book cause you have only the relevant information.

RPS37

I've had this since last Wednesday. I've been playing it off and on, but I kept checking the thread and seeing all of the gushing and just thinking, "Well, shit I guess I need to play a little more, but I'm not seeing it yet."
Now today I popped it in, I got to the second city, then I realized...I have to collect everything in this game.

I stopped everything, went back to Florence and now I'm just trying to find every single feather/codex page/treasure chest I can.

I think I get what you guys were saying now. It's good.

Filldough said:
Dude! I was an art major and had to take quite a few art history classes. Its awesome seeing so much of the history in a game. I've even learned some new things about some of the buildings which is really cool.

If you need advice for identifying paintings, draw a little thumbnail sketch along with title date and any other relevant info you might need. For some reason drawing the image yourself (even if its super craptastic) seems to help me remember the images much better. Plus its 10 times faster than skimming a book cause you have only the relevant information.

Same here, it is a trip to see all the stuff I originally learned about in school in a video game, and portrayed with some fairly accurate detail to boot! I never thought my interest in art history and video games would intersect so completely.

As for studying for slide identifications, I would download all the images off the net and make a contact sheet in Photoshop and turn them into flash cards. Then I'd memorize the story behind each one - remembering the story of the artist made it easy to remember the dates. I always found if you could memorize the slide ID segments of art history tests, the essay portions were really easy because you already had your examples covered.

Zeliard

sangreal said:
I use fists/cestus as my primary weapon just because I really enjoy the sound effect, but I agree disarm is really overpowered

Ezio in general is supremely overpowered. Crazy athleticism lets him escape any fight easily, but he doesn't even have to, because he's essentially unstoppable in combat. Any conflict he gets in, he can very easily either run from or stomp all over people with barely a scratch.

Irish

Ha! You can retrieve a weapon that you impaled into an enemy by picking up their body, dropping it, and then picking the weapon up again.

I can now run around with a spear at all times (except for free running). I just wish they allowed you to throw those weapons on your back when doing so.

theluma

Having lived in Florence for 7 years there is nothing more awesome that running around the city in AC2. I seriously am afraid to do any more story missions in case I have to leave Florence :lol

So fucking well recreated though...

theluma said:
Having lived in Florence for 7 years there is nothing more awesome that running around the city in AC2. I seriously am afraid to do any more story missions in case I have to leave Florence :lol

So fucking well recreated though...
Well when you do leave you can come back at any time.

Ranger X

jett said:
It's really hard to grab the weapons of the agiles unless they're really weak. Fist-only doesn't work for me. Fists are terrible at doing combo-attacks, which is what you need to do to quickly dispatch agiles. :p Disarm btw is exactly the manner in how the Brutes are meant to be defeated. :p

Instant-disarm works on all the rest of the enemy types though, and I agree it's kind of overpowered, but then again if you got the counter timing down pat you might as well stick with the hidden blade which is instant kill on anyone if you pull it off. It's really really cheap that you can block with it now, in AC1 you couldn't, which made it much riskier.

I don't get the toned down difficulty of AC2. The first game was already really really really easy.

Agiles are really weak against a attack right after a dodge. And yes the disarm is the brute's weak spot lol.

Amir0x

Banned
Baker said:
Well shit. I guess they just bought themselves a second playthrough.

I always play with subtitles on in all my games, so I didn't know they didn't translate the language for the non-subtitle folks. That is a really fucking weird way to encourage putting on subtitles :lol

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
I always play with subtitles on in all my games, so I didn't know they didn't translate the language for the non-subtitle folks. That is a really fucking weird way to encourage putting on subtitles :lol

Yeah I've been playing with subtitles and figured they still show the Italian translation for those who aren't.

Pretty strange that they don't, since there is quite a bit of Italian dialogue, and it's fully translated if you have subtitles on.

Amir0x

Banned
Game is so, so, so many times better than Assassin's Creed 1. I honestly can't believe how improved everything is. It is in every way a level of improvement seen recently only in Uncharted 1 -> Uncharted 2, a proof that developers listen deeply to criticisms and return with an argument full of pure dedication.

I love this year, though some have downplayed it. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed 2 and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Left 4-motherfuckin'-Dead 2.

great year, and this is a great fucking game.

Amir0x said:
Game is so, so, so many times better than Assassin's Creed 1. I honestly can't believe how improved everything is. It is in every way a level of improvement seen recently only in Uncharted 1 -> Uncharted 2, a proof that developers listen deeply to criticisms and return with an argument full of pure dedication.

I love this year, though some have downplayed it. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed 2 and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Left 4-motherfuckin'-Dead 2.

great year, and this is a great fucking game.

YEP! My thoughts exactly. Just typed up a review for this game and gave it and Uncharted 2 props. These two games are how you do a sequel right!

Sinatar said:
So if you play with subtitles off you don't get the translations? Wow that sucks.
you fucking what!? subtitles!?! Ive been listening to all that Italian thinking thats how it was...

and my god, when you meet mario :lol

Zeliard

slasher_thrasher21 said:
YEP! My thoughts exactly. Just typed up a review for this game and gave it and Uncharted 2 props. These two games are how you do a sequel right!

L4D2 also essentially took everything from the first game and just made it bigger and better, while adding a few cool things here and there.

Some strong sequels this year.

Sean

Banned
Irish said:
Ha! You can retrieve a weapon that you impaled into an enemy by picking up their body, dropping it, and then picking the weapon up again.

I can now run around with a spear at all times (except for free running). I just wish they allowed you to throw those weapons on your back when doing so.

I found this rather clunky actually. There should've been an animation where Ezio steps on the guys body and pulls the spear out of the corpse. Having to pick up a dead body, drop the body, then pick up the spear is kinda stupid and almost impossible to do in combat.

Solo

jett said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exxb9Ys6hn4&annotation_id=annotation_412369&fmt=18

Hmm does anyone else think the brutality in AC2 has been toned down?

Artistically, it seems fitting. The dark ages are befitting of brutality while the Renaissance leads itself less to bloodshed. Nom thats not to say there wasnt brutality during the Renaissance period, but it seems much more fitting during the Crusades.

In reality though, it was probably a decision made to cater to a wider audience.

Okay the part when
You're caught after following Jacopo and the you say to the Gards "I know you are only doing as you are told, but if you release me- I will spare your lives" They then laugh and once they do you quick press square and the blade goes into ones throat and the others gut..

made me realize just how FUCKING BAD ASS YOU ARE. Sorry Nathan Drake I loved thee, but this may be the GOTY for me. :lol

Grecco

Love the optional assassinations. Just did one that i climbed a view point and killed the guy from inside the hay pile.

Irish

AC I's blood spray coupled with the way blood stays on your clothing in AC II would be great. I still think there could be a ton more counters though. In addition to that, they should have counter-counter-counter sequences where yours and your opponent's blade whirl about in a deadly dance of steel.

Sean said:
I found this rather clunky actually. There should've been an animation where Ezio steps on the guys body and pulls the spear out of the corpse. Having to pick up a dead body, drop the body, then pick up the spear is kinda stupid and almost impossible to do in combat.

Yeah, it's extremely irritating, but it's better than thinking I couldn't retrieve my spear. I agree that you should be able to do that without going through unnecessary steps. Although, I'd prefer if I could just carry around a pole weapon without having to steal it from an enemy.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
Artistically, it seems fitting. The dark ages are befitting of brutality while the Renaissance leads itself less to bloodshed. Nom thats not to say there wasnt brutality during the Renaissance period, but it seems much more fitting during the Crusades.

In reality though, it was probably a decision made to cater to a wider audience.

Yeah I suppose on the second one, although the first one already sold 8 million copies.

Ranger X said:
Nah, 8 out of the 10 kills there are in AC2 and then you had the hammer finishes, axe finished, hidden blade finishes, etc.

but the pretty, pretty blood man :| the feedback you get from the the soldiers is not as visceral and enemies don't agonize on the ground before dying either. Oh well. :p

For me, picking up a weapon during battle doesn't work well. Most of time, weapon is near dead body, and option I get is carry/loot a body. Sometimes Ezio's feet will push it away. You get weapon pick up option only if you are standing on it.

Top Bottom