• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

jett

D-Member
Square Triangle said:
Maybe so but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable. I'm having much more fun with AC2.

Oh no, totally. I didn't even notice the difference while playing the game. It's just a curiosity, that is all. :p

Zeliard

I thought the combat felt noticeably more brutal in AC2, with stuff like bludgeoning people with a maul, and holding them up as cover and then slitting their throats, etc. Tons more kill animations overall.

Tampinha

666 said:
Is AC 1 worth playing? I like the idea, but have never felt compelled to pop it in, even though we have it.
Well, the story and the core gameplay are really great, but it turns in a repetitive mess after 2~4 hours into the game,if you really want the game i'd recommend you to rent it

jey_16

Banned
RPS37 said:
I've had this since last Wednesday. I've been playing it off and on, but I kept checking the thread and seeing all of the gushing and just thinking, "Well, shit I guess I need to play a little more, but I'm not seeing it yet."
Now today I popped it in, I got to the second city, then I realized...I have to collect everything in this game.

I stopped everything, went back to Florence and now I'm just trying to find every single feather/codex page/treasure chest I can.

I think I get what you guys were saying now. It's good.

fuuuuucccckkkk.....i collected come of them in Florence but got bored of it so i'm in Venice now, does collecting them all make a massive difference in the game?

also missed 1 or 2 glyphs some where along the way

jey_16 said:
fuuuuucccckkkk.....i collected come of them in Florence but got bored of it so i'm in Venice now, does collecting them all make a massive difference in the game?

also missed 1 or 2 glyphs some where along the way
Feathers no. But codex pages and glyphs yes.

jett

D-Member
666 said:
Is AC 1 worth playing? I like the idea, but have never felt compelled to pop it in, even though we have it.

I think it's somewhat worth playing if you follow this tip: never do more than the minimum amount of investigations. Seriously.

Bob Tampinha said:
Well, the story and the core gameplay are really great, but it turns in a repetitive mess after 2~4 hours into the game,if you really want the game i'd recommend you to rent it
My housemate owns it, so I guess I could give it a shot.

jett said:
I think it's somewhat worth playing if you follow this tip: never do more than the minimum amount of investigations. Seriously.
Ok, i'll take this approach and give it a go, thanks.

Mana Sin

jett said:

This was my problem. I felt that I had to do every investigation. I thought the DNA syncro stuff actually mattered story-wise (such as alternate endings/bonuses). Repetition. I abhor it.

Druz

666 said:

No.. and no... no..

AC2 is pretty good from what I've played though

Mana Sin said:
This was my problem. I felt that I had to do every investigation. I thought the DNA syncro stuff actually mattered story-wise (such as alternate endings/bonuses). Repetition. I abhor it.
No it just told you more about what you had to do. The layout of the area where you are going to assassinate the target, potential escape routes and stuff like that. If you just want to get through the game then just do the bare minimum. Although some people like being immersed in the world.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i loved AC1, but it's certainly not as accessible as this one. i recommend anyone who didn't play it and enjoys this to at least give it a shot--it's got a lot of great ideas that are refined and expounded upon here, and the mood is more serious and dire in the midst of the crusades.

This game is definately growing on me...I guess I was expecting a different experience on first play of it...This game is pretty dope, and I'm approaching as a game that I will play bits and pieces of for 2 months in segments.

It is very cool how they work in the characters like Da Vinci, and I find myself reading all the bios and stuff. That's something that I usually never feel like bothering with in games.

Mana Sin

Lostconfused said:
No it just told you more about what you had to do. The layout of the area where you are going to assassinate the target, potential escape routes and stuff like that. If you just want to get through the game then just do the bare minimum. Although some people like being immersed in the world.

I love immersion, but I just felt lonely in AC1 =/ In AC2 you have family, friends and Ezio himself talks a lot more. It's more entertaining to me. I still loved AC1 regardless of my lack of interest in the investigations after a about 70% of the game.

Druz

dsmoke1986 said:
This game is definately growing on me...I guess I was expecting a different experience on first play of it...This game is pretty dope, and I'm approaching as a game that I will play bits and pieces of for 2 months in segments.

It is very cool how they work in the characters like Da Vinci, and I find myself reading all the bios and stuff. That's something that I usually never feel like bothering with in games.

Actually DaVinci being in the game and the guy that said "Hey, it's-a me Mario!" Is the lamest shit I've ever encountered recently. 30 minutes in, they've already said vagina and penis. Otherwise good game so far.

Bob Tampinha said:

Why would he rent a game he owns?

Rad Agast

666 said:

I just finished it earlier today. The mission structure is quite repetitive but you don't need to do every thing to progress the main plot which is how I played it (probably the best way too). Not sure if you can rent it but if you find it for cheap then it's worth a buy if you already have 2.

OK, so I started AC2 about 4 hours ago just to watch the starting scene and it sucked me in (I had to keep reminding my self that I can't stay up too late). First impressions, the mechanics are more varied in this one which is a plus but the story seems to be going in a weird direction. I'm not sure if I'll like it at the end but we'll see.

The HUD feels strange when compared to the first one which I quite liked. I don't know, it just doesn't seem to fit and too many shiny things all over the place. I haven't checked the options menu but probably I'll need to switch some of that stuff off, is it possible?

Edit:
it's 4am over here >.<

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it... I want to get this on the PC but there still isn't an official release date other than Q1 2010, is there? I might just pick it up on the 360 and double dip when it gets released for the PC later like I did with the first game... :(

AkuMifune

Banned
I haven't dragged my feet so much in a game in a long time. I'm so engrossed in the overall story I want to see what happens next but I don't want the experience to end either. I have no need for florins anymore and yet I'm still delivering letters and beating up cheating husbands.

So much fun.

Zefah said:
Damn it... I want to get this on the PC but there still isn't an official release date other than Q1 2010, is there? I might just pick it up on the 360 and double dip when it gets released for the PC later like I did with the first game... :(
Just rent it. Unless you are worried about spoilers you can wait it out. Well at least thats what i am doing.

jett

D-Member
Zefah said:

Ubisoft FTL my friend. I was so excited when they originally announced the same release date for all three platforms...and then...and then...

FTL.

It's worth buying to play it now though, one of the best games of the year. I'm definitely double dipping next year, especially if they add stuff like the PC version of AC1.

Irish

Sadly, the free DLC maps are not very rewarding at all. I would have liked to have seen extra weapons or a few cool cutscenes. Money becomes meaningless halfway through the game, so it doesn't feel like a reward at all.

The game is great, but has enough flaws for the next one to fix that AC III should be the greatest game ever.

MirageDwarf said:
For me, picking up a weapon during battle doesn't work well. Most of time, weapon is near dead body, and option I get is carry/loot a body. Sometimes Ezio's feet will push it away. You get weapon pick up option only if you are standing on it.

Its absolutely unusable during combat. This isnt the only issue with the layout I have on a controller for instance, the carry/loot comand is rediculous as well. The developers really expected 1 button to possibly be used for 3 things in a combat situation?

TheExecutive said:
Its absolutely unusable during combat. This isnt the only issue with the layout I have on a controller for instance, the carry/loot comand is rediculous as well. The developers really expected 1 button to possibly be used for 3 things in a combat situation?
I don't understand how carry/loot is ridiculous. tap = carry, hold = loot.

Irish

Why would you be trying to pick up a weapon during battle anyway? You come equipped to the teeth and also have the ability to steal an opponent's weapon.

Then again, I do love using the spear.

Ranger X

TheExecutive said:

tap = pick up
hold = loot

Not much confusion there. The stupid thing you can do though is to loot during combat --- it really isn't the time to do that.

Boogie9IGN

I just got the
Auditore cape
after collecting all the feathers. The cutscene was touching ):

On the plus side, my outfit is now the most badass you can have:
Armor of Altair, Sword of Altair, Auditore cape, notched cinquecada all dyed in Venetian wine or whatever the black/scarlet dye is

Dartastic

I genuinely did not like the first game at all; to me it was a glorified tech demo. I'm very, very glad I picked up this one however, they really have fixed all the problems I had with the first game. This one is fantastic. :D

Biggest surprise of the year.

I don't know why, but even after trying to ignore the first game, playing it, and loving it, I again tried to pretend like I didn't care about Assassin's Creed 2, and I'm totally and completely wrong. Might have been the GOTY this year if SF4 hadn't won by default. Loving it.

Volcynika

I was going to play AC1 on PC before this, but damn, quitting that game is a chore in and of itself.

This game is pretty amazing though, just got
the hidden blade
. Loving it.

Just to clear with everything about the collecting of items in this game:

1. Is there any point in the game where you cannot go back to a town?
2. If no, does the game open up for exploration and 100% completion once you've beaten it? (For example: Batman AA)

I ask because I really do not want to try and collect all the feathers if I don't have to- Crackdown and inFamous has made me hate the collection of things

asifnalsihf fuck you agility orbs and shards

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Square Triangle said:
Just to clear with everything about the collecting of items in this game:

1. Is there any point in the game where you cannot go back to a town?
2. If no, does the game open up for exploration and 100% completion once you've beaten it? (For example: Batman AA)

I ask because I really do not want to try and collect all the feathers if I don't have to- Crackdown and inFamous has made me hate the collection of things

asifnalsihf fuck you agility orbs and shards
Yeah, when you beat the game you can explore freely.

infinityBCRT said:
I don't understand how carry/loot is ridiculous. tap = carry, hold = loot.

They cannot be mapped differently? There is entirely too much functionality mapped to B and sometimes when I attempt to pick up things it too often "pushes gently". I think there are 6 situation dependent actions mapped on that button alone, that's too many.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah don't forget what he did with Sands of Time.

You can see his style in both games. He is trying to give credibility to the game by making the game-y aspects less game-y. For example, in PoPSOT, when you died, the narrator would says "Wait-wait-wait, that's not how it went.". In AC, you are really just dysynchronizing with the Animus. It's exactly the same, and it works really well. I wish more creative directors were like that (and game designers too, we're not making fucking 1987 games anymore, we're making experiences, that's what all the new tech is for).

This is what Ubisoft should basically focus on, it should become synonymous with their branding (and it fits right in with their idea of convergence).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is going into ultra nitpicking zone, but I do actually miss the AC1 load zones. Just whipping knives and swapping weapons was always fun, but in 2 you only get to run and punch. Let me do all of that again! Even throw smokebombs for good measure. :lol

jett

D-Member
Linkzg said:
new overlord? it's just the return of the king

Haha yeah...you know, when you're abused with trash like Warrior Within you sometimes forget how good Sands of Time was.

yeah i know patrice had nothing to do with the sequels.

I seem to be missing one weapon, I've went to all the shops in all the cities but I get the same list, is there a secret one or something?

Gribbix

brandonh83 said:
I seem to be missing one weapon, I've went to all the shops in all the cities but I get the same list, is there a secret one or something?
You need to collect and deposit 50 feathers for the last weapon to appear in the shop.

Gribbix said:
You need to collect and deposit 50 feathers for the last weapon to appear in the shop.

Whew, better than getting them all, which I'm not going to do. But I'm sure I can stomach 50, as I have 24 already.

Prezhulio

jesus christ i'm so glad i purchased this. i liked the first one but the complaints everyone had weren't absent. they fixed so much and drew inspiration from some great game design elements.

i really have no idea how far in the game i am
i just got the pistol modification
(anyone care to say how far this is storyline wise? i've got about 10 hours in and i've heard it's averaging 20 hours)but i know i'm going to be sad when it's over. soooo much incentive for collecting stuff. this might be the best game i've played all year, and there's been some fucking great games this year.

Top Bottom