• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
Believe me I was the first to be worried, especially when I saw our first 2 quarter sales dropping like 54% in sales or something. We were like the only studio in the world that hasn't been affected by the recession yet and now Assassin 2 will probably let us back into positive numbers!!

Hey Ranger X, let me tell ask ya something. :p I think the action camera option doesn't work very well. I have it set at 4/4 and yet it doesn't happen as often as AC1. Could that option be borked?

duckroll

Ranger X said:
Definetely coming but I don't know what fixes are in there.

Make them add the ability to replay memory sequences. When I say make them, I mean it in the same way the characters in Assassin's Creed "make" people do things. Okay?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I recognize that the first game has some pretty substantial flaws, and that's why I skipped it when it first hit in 2007, passed on it in 2008, and only finally bought it earlier this year.

Flaws and all, I loved the concept and execution enough that I 100%'ed it. Did all side quests, found all 400 flags, killed every Templar guardian, filled every DNA memory strand, etc.

Played through the PSP game first (also at 100%). It was short, rough, and easy, but the cool special weapons and the ~25k florins that carried over to AC2 PS3 were more than incentive enough. Not to mention that it was a nice touch to see that most of AC2's codex pages
were writings from the journal you see Altair keeping between missions in AC Bloodlines!

I'm loving AC2 to pieces. It basically takes the core concept devised for the original game and turns it from a rough proof of concept into a unique, full-blown adventure game the likes that we'll probably not see again this gen. Amazing, amazing game. Sure, the extra cash ported from the PSP version probably broke AC2's in-game economy (I was able to afford almost all of the villa renovations from the get-go). I'm only on Memory Sequence 5 (I think) and am already pulling in a ridiculous 11k every 20 minutes from the villa. (Summary says that I'm approx. 75% complete!)

I must have at least 10-15 hours on the clock, since I've explored every nook and cranny in the three areas of Florence, Tuscany, and the Villa and found all glyphs (awesome puzzles!), seals (awesome PoP-like platforming!), feathers, and treasures available to me so far! I think I need to continue the story in order to open up new locations to loot! I've done all available sidequests so far, including one or two which must have been from the Limited Edition DLC, and redeemed another from uPlay last night (though I haven't tried it yet)!

Game is fucking amazing, and it might me a GotY contender for me.
I prefer Altair as a character, and being Middle Eastern myself, identify more with the setting in the first game, but there's no doubt that every single aspect of AC2 is superior. Altair may have been a "cooler" character for me, but there's no doubt that Ezio's much better developed. Likewise, the narrative is much more engrossing, the scenarios much more varied, and the game, in general, infinitely more dynamic than the very rote, very formulaic original.

And to add insult to injury, this game out PoPs Ubi's newest Prince of Persia! Amazing stuff. Truly.

My only big surprise is that there are no Desmond Miles excerpts between the Memory Sequences, ala AC1. At least, not so far. I think I can predict why, but it's still a surprising change.

FrankT

I'm guessing I'm screwed on the Fly Swatter achievement if I missed it during the mission?

Anyhow the game is incredible and I was definitely one of those people who never finished the first, but this makes me want to go back and play it. Wish the games on demand price was $20, but I'm sure I could find it even cheaper at retail.

Mejilan

What are the details of that trophy? I hate miss-able, non-story trophies. Especially in extremely lengthy games. :/

Baker

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I'm guessing I'm screwed on the Fly Swatter achievement if I missed it during the mission?
Yup. I crashed at least five times so I had plenty of time to get it. :lol

Mejilan said:
What are the details of that trophy? I hate miss-able, non-story trophies. Especially in extremely lengthy games. :/
Kick a guard while on the flying machine.

JCtheMC

duckroll said:
Make them add the ability to replay memory sequences. When I say make them, I mean it in the same way the characters in Assassin's Creed "make" people do things. Okay?

+1 to this. I want to be able to replay certain missions because they were awesome.

kaskade

Jtyettis said:

Anyhow the game is incredible and I was definitely one of those people who never finished the first, but this makes me want to go back and play it. Wish the games on demand price was $20, but I'm sure I could find it even cheaper at retail.
AC2 will most likely make you realize how flawed AC is.

FrankT

JCtheMC said:
+1 to this. I want to be able to replay certain missions because they were awesome.

Yea and this would help with the aforementioned missed achievement. I actually went to the DNA sequence thinking I would be able to, but naw.

Mejilan

Baker said:
Kick a guard while on the flying machine.

Whew, haven't gotten to that point yet. Any other miss-ables like that, that I should know about?

You can't replay Memory Sequences ala AC1 and AC PSP? That's a huge disappointment! I wonder why they changed that...

Baker

Banned
Mejilan said:
Whew, haven't gotten to that point yet. Any other miss-ables like that, that I should know about?

You can't replay Memory Sequences ala AC1 and AC PSP? That's a huge disappointment! I wonder why they changed that...
I just browsed through the list and didn't see any other story-specific ones that are possible to miss.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
HUH? explain?
Well of course that was just my opinion. But I didn't like Ezio's story and I think that the narrative of the 2nd game isn't as good. Also a the main story assassinations, except for one, weren't as enjoyable or interesting as in the first game.

jett

D-Member
slasher_thrasher21 said:
HUH? explain?

Personally it's just the visceral level of violence that has been toned down. You could also argue that it doesn't look as realistic, but that's an art design choice more than anything.

On a non-personal level, it could be argued that some people miss the extended conversations and reasoning behind the actions of your targets, which is far more streamlined in AC2(I find this to be an improvement).

But that is it, everything else is a massive improvement in every single way.

Mejilan

Baker said:
I just browsed through the list and didn't see any other story-specific ones that are possible to miss.

Much appreciated. I tried to get the stupid ones out of the way ASAP, such as wasting 300 florins via dispersal, 5000 florins via the courtesans, etc.

I didn't see any trophies dedicated to various kinds of kills (combo kills, stealth kills, counter kills, etc.) like the PSP version has. Am I right, or did I miss something?

jett

D-Member
Mejilan said:
Much appreciated. I tried to get the stupid ones out of the way ASAP, such as wasting 300 florins via dispersal, 5000 florins via the courtesans, etc.

I didn't see any trophies dedicated to various kinds of kills (combo kills, stealth kills, counter kills, etc.) like the PSP version has. Am I right, or did I miss something?

You're pretty much right. The trophies in this game are super lame and almost seem like an afterthought. In terms of kills there's only two, kill 10 enemies in the middle of combat without getting hit, and air-killing someone after poisoning him.

jett said:
You're pretty much right. The trophies in this game are super lame and almost seem like an afterthought. In terms of kills there's only two, kill 10 enemies in the middle of combat without getting hit, and air-killing someone after poisoning him.
Well you can also maybe add the sweep 5 enemies with the spear and blind some number of enemies with dust to that list.

Baker

Banned
Mejilan said:
No but three come to mind concerning fighting...

1. Stay in combat and beat 10 dudes without getting hit

2. Sweep five guys with a long weapon (same time)

3. Throw sand in four faces (same time)

Those last two require training from the weapon guy in the Villa.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Most of the posts here and the recent CO-OP episode is making me want to buy this game. I think I will sell my modern warfare 2 game and buy this.

Mejilan

jett said:

I actually prefer story-driven achievements/trophies over the skill-based ones, since most of those turn out to be a chore. It's one thing if a game rewards you for playing with style, but quite another to force you to grind stupid activities for the paltry reward.

I just trained up in long weapons and the axes, IIRC (expensive!), but didn't see anything about training with sand. The only category left is pistols, and that category is still greyed out and unavailable to me.

The not getting hit trophy, does that include blocking? Like, can I clear off 10 guys with blocks/counter-kills and still get the trophy? Only problem for me is finding a group large enough. They tend to start fleeing after I slaughter 6 or so of them...

Mejilan

Lostconfused said:
No you only need to unlock the sweep. Throwing sand in the face is always an option, they just never tell you how to do it.

Perhaps I should read the manual, then. :D
If only the box was so stupidly huge!

Baker

Banned
Lostconfused said:
No you only need to unlock the sweep. Throwing sand in the face is always an option, they just never tell you how to do it.
Haha.

neojubei said:
Most of the posts here and the recent CO-OP episode is making me want to buy this game. I think I will sell my modern warfare 2 game and buy this.
It might be a lightning deal in three hours so keep an eye open.

jett

D-Member
Mejilan said:
I actually prefer story-driven achievements/trophies over the skill-based ones, since most of those turn out to be a chore. It's one thing if a game rewards you for playing with style, but quite another to force you to grind stupid activities for the paltry reward.

I just trained up in long weapons and the axes, IIRC (expensive!), but didn't see anything about training with sand. The only category left is pistols, and that category is still greyed out and unavailable to me.

The not getting hit trophy, does that include blocking? Like, can I clear off 10 guys with blocks/counter-kills and still get the trophy? Only problem for me is finding a group large enough. They tend to start fleeing after I slaughter 6 or so of them...

Heh, I don't feel any reward in getting a trophy for simply advancing through the game. :p

ultron87

jett said:
Personally it's just the visceral level of violence that has been toned down.

I dunno, I guess there might be less actual blood, but the actual kills are far more brutal if you ask me. I never remember (counter-kill spoiler)
stabbing directly through a guys face with the hidden blade in AC1. And in this game you do it with double blades.

Mejilan

I agree, I think the kills in this game are, to a large extent, more brutal than in the first.
Especially once you start upgrading that Hidden Blade a bit.

Haven't been following the thread too heavily. What's up that a patch is needed? I've experienced no glitches so far, thankfully.

ultron87 said:
I dunno, I guess there might be less actual blood, but the actual kills are far more brutal if you ask me. I never remember (counter-kill spoiler)
stabbing directly through a guys face with the hidden blade in AC1. And in this game you do it with double blades.
Well in the first game there is the one where he grabs the enemies head with the right hand and jams the blade into the eye. Or there is one where he stabs them with the blade in the gut follows up with a punch to the stomach with the right and finishes it up with a hidden blade to the eye.

ultron87

Oh yeah, I guess a few of the hidden blade counters in the first one are pretty bad as well.

However (and I haven't played the first in a while, so I might be wrong), I never remember the hidden blade popping out the other side of the guy's face when you stab him there.

Also, this game has kills with the maul and battle axes and spears. Some of those are pretty crazy as well.

jett

D-Member
ultron87 said:

The actual concept of the kills are more brutal...but they don't look quite as uh destructive as in AC1. In AC1 the one where you stick your dagger in the head of the guard for example, he shakes uncontrollably as you do it. The shake is removed from AC2. :p The more whimsical art design of the game also prevents, for me, from looking as violent as AC1. And seeing blood spray and drip from the actual entry wounds is much more satisfying than watching them appear out of thin air as they do in AC2. :p

And maybe it's the lower resolution of the consoles, but I can't really see the fear of God I put in the guard's faces as I take away their lives in the same way I do in AC1.

Ranger X

Mejilan said:

The only misseable achievement is the flying machine one. For the rest it's no worries.

The kills in the sequel seem just as vicious, if not more so. I love the unique animation and kills for each weapon. The throat slash you can do during a fight using the sultan's dagger is sick.

Mejilan

Lostconfused said:
I am pretty sure almost all, if not all, of the sword and knife kills have been copied over from the first game.

They definitely recycled some of the animations, but they added some new ones as well. And not just for the new weapons.

Spasm

ultron87 said:
Yeah, an audible, "Holy shit!" escaped my lips when
my hidden blades went through both eye sockets of a guard

RainbowByte

Neo Member
duckroll said:
It was a feature that was cut, it *should* be patched in because it fucking sucks to not be able to replay a certain mission to show it to friends,etc. The 3 saveslot limit is bullshit too.

jett

D-Member
Come on guys, can't tell me you don't miss this awesomeness:

11jyv6s.jpg

nzissl.jpg

:p

these guys have really mastered the immersion aspect. ive never felt connected to games and environments like i have with ac and ac2

i see now why it started so slowly...the game's intensity builds with your reputation...

in fact, everything that pissed me off early on becomes justified levels later

Ristlager

posted this in the sales thread, but perhaps this is the better place:)

I have an unopened dragon age game. Should I trade it in for this instead? I liked the first one quite a bit, but I also like rpgs (first one for me this gen!!). What should I go for?

Ristlager said:
posted this in the sales thread, but perhaps this is the better place:)

I have an unopened dragon age game. Should I trade it in for this instead? I liked the first one quite a bit, but I also like rpgs (first one for me this gen!!). What should I go for?

It is like trading one gem with another gem.

Mejilan

My first uPlay purchase was that 40 point tomb or dungeon or whatever it is. Bought it last night before shutting it off, so I have yet to actually visit it.

Is that the third DLC map that was EU LE-only, by any chance?

Top Bottom