• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

jett

D-Member
Prezhulio said:
jesus christ i'm so glad i purchased this. i liked the first one but the complaints everyone had weren't absent. they fixed so much and drew inspiration from some great game design elements.

i really have no idea how far in the game i am
i just got the pistol modification
(anyone care to say how far this is storyline wise? i've got about 10 hours in and i've heard it's averaging 20 hours)but i know i'm going to be sad when it's over. soooo much incentive for collecting stuff. this might be the best game i've played all year, and there's been some fucking great games this year.

10 hours in? I think you've rushed it to be honest.

LCfiner

yeah, that’s kinda rushing it. took me 12 hours just to get to Venice and half of it is still locked away after around 15 hours. and I haven’t received a single pistol yet.

this will be around 20 to 25 hours for me, I think. typically I only play RPGs that long. but this one has its hooks in me.

Dead

well not really...yet
the game is definitely packed full of content

Im on sequence 10 and have put in close to 27 hours so far

This game fucking nails the look and feel of being badass. I just got the altair armor and aside from not being able to change the color, the process of getting it and actually using it are the best parts of this game for me. Its so fucking cool.

HMC

My old man hung with whores and thieves eh? You swear it? LULZ...I only came for the fat guy, but I think I can fit you in for a quick kidney piercing. :lol

Prezhulio

i'm gonna start the tombs now, i've only discovered 4 of the 6 anyways, so i figure there's plenty of game left if i just leave the story missions alone for a bit. glad i asked though, i feel like i would of been a little disappointed if i just beat it and then went back for the majority of the extra stuff, especially when i've heard the tombs are really great.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
burgerdog said:
20 hours and I'm in act 8 or 9 :lol

Haha, yeah, it's crazy. I didn't expect this game to be so lengthy, such a rarity nowadays. Finally, a SP only game that's worth the $60 tag.

I should finally finish the main story tomorrow, then I'll grab the feathers for another 1000, right along with AC1. This one is much more enjoyable to aim for that though, I can't believe I ever did those fucking flag hunts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I'd been playing for ages, but I finished the game with all the glyphs and everything in the Villa completed except for the feathers, in about 13 and a half hours. It felt like much longer (in a good way).

Got 1000/1000 achievements. Third time I did this (well, once was a plat trophy with infamous). Game is so good.

ok, wow, I didn't realize you could check how long you've played. The game is clocked at 22 hours with a good many side missions done and the villa at 100 percent.

700 people killed, 300 with the hidden blades :lol

It's those fucking archers. If they didn't want to get stabbed or thrown off rooftops, they wouldn't worry about me being up there.

infinityBCRT said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/23/uk-charts-modern-warfare-still-tops-assassins-creed-2-outperf/

Good news, AC2 sold 12% better than AC1 in the UK. Hopefully they will spend more time & money on AC3 if this is true of world wide sales.

Good news, at the time at least I remember reading something about AC being the fastest selling new IP in over 5 years or something. If it's outselling the first then I hope they really put a lot of effort into the 3rd one and making it the best it could possibly be, if AC2 was any indication I don't see why this wouldn't happen really.

How do i throw sand in people's faces? They have yet to teach me that and i am more than halfway through.

Also, i need to jack a spear from the big guys right? Thats the only way to get the sweep 5 guys achievement, correct?

outsidah

Loving this game. I really liked the first one despite some of the bad design choices... but they really seem to have nailed it with this one.

Not sure about this new guy though... Altair was more of a bad ass.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gamer @ Heart said:
How do i throw sand in people's faces? They have yet to teach me that and i am more than halfway through.

Also, i need to jack a spear from the big guys right? Thats the only way to get the sweep 5 guys achievement, correct?

Talk to the trainer at the villa, you can learn new moves(like the sweep). I forget if you can do the sand toss beforehand but it's a free lesson from him anyway.

JBuccCP

I love the big hammer weapons. Smashing guys>stabbing and slicing guys. Also when I kill someone on a roof I feel compelled to pick them up and try to hit civilians on the street with them.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
outsidah said:
Loving this game. I really liked the first one despite some of the bad design choices... but they really seem to have nailed it with this one.

Not sure about this new guy though... Altair was more of a bad ass.

Altaïr was more bad-ass, but then again, he was born and raised a Hashashin. He was stabbing, robbing and freerunning ever since lil' Altaïr could walk. Personally, I think the Ezio-character has more soul, he's not blindly following orders
although his motivation changes over the course of the game
, I think he's more human than Altaïr and that definatly makes the character more relateable.

fuck, if someone went and killed my dad and I found a Assassin's robe in his secret stash and I had Da Vinci as my own personal Q, I'd go forth and kick ass as well

Gunpriest

Neo Member
How can you access the bonus content? I got a code for the Palazzo Medici but i can't find the entrance. I found a door on the outside of the Palazzo that has a faint red cross on it, but it doesn't glow white and i can't interact with it. Do i have to do anything else?

The email from amazon.de only tells me to enter the code (which was successful) and then go to the Palazzo and find a door outside on the 1st floor. I have no clue what a "Corte dei muli" is though. The maps don't have street or even building names finding something without a mission marker extremely annoying. It took me one hour of running through Firenze and googling like a madman until i found a clue on the gamespot forum :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
vzwwk.jpg

Man the highest praise I can give this game is that after doing absolutely everything there is to do and sinking a good 35 hours into it, I still want more.

Nafai1123

Banned
Papercuts said:
This is going into ultra nitpicking zone, but I do actually miss the AC1 load zones. Just whipping knives and swapping weapons was always fun, but in 2 you only get to run and punch. Let me do all of that again! Even throw smokebombs for good measure. :lol

This. I know it's trivial, but why take it out? It was fun... :D

Just finished the game tonight. All I have to say is holy shit at that ending! Dare I say....Oscar worthy? That last line before the credits start to roll=exactly what I was thinking at that very moment. Well done... :lol

duckroll

Nafai1123 said:
This. I know it's trivial, but why take it out? It was fun... :D

It seems to me that Animus 2.0 is in fact a huge downgrade from Animus 1.0. While the game itself is a HUGE improvement over the original, I find that I really hate all the changes they've made for the worse in the Animus system. You can't replay memory blocks anymore, and you can't play with weapons during loading. Wtf?

MCD

duckroll said:
It seems to me that Animus 2.0 is in fact a huge downgrade from Animus 1.0. While the game itself is a HUGE improvement over the original, I find that I really hate all the changes they've made for the worse in the Animus system. You can't replay memory blocks anymore, and you can't play with weapons during loading. Wtf?
Subtitles alone made the Animus 2.0 so much better.

sangreal

hmm amazon just sent me my pre-order bonus. I had no idea they were offering one (thought it was GS exclusive) and I have no idea what it is. Guess I should redeem it.

Gribbix

sangreal said:
hmm amazon just sent me my pre-order bonus. I had no idea they were offering one (thought it was GS exclusive) and I have no idea what it is. Guess I should redeem it.
I got it too. It's a premium Ezio theme for the 360.

Mana Sin

monkeyhat said:
Nice way to check out your AC2 progress here if you're a statmonkey - AC2 web-battle - it reads from your last save game and gives you all the details on your fights, travel, villa, etc.

For some reason it tells me that my account doesn't have a game save verified for it. It was working last week.. I'm wondering what the actual battles did though. every win gave you a point or two. It had me wondering if you got enough you might gain uplay points? Not that they're really worth anything so far as you get more than enough of them in-game for the rewards offered.

Edit: Just checked and it's working again... Sort of. It's using an old game save of mine from like last Thursday or so. Is there a way to force the site to update which save it's using?

Metiphis

After an exhaustive 3 days I have finished this game (23 hours gameplay). Got everything collected but the feathers.

My god what a fantastic experience this game was, I just couldn't put it down, I even put Dragon Age on the back burner halfway through! And I was on a damn interesting part in Dragon Age too haha.

mileS

LCfiner said:
yeah, that’s kinda rushing it. took me 12 hours just to get to Venice and half of it is still locked away after around 15 hours. and I haven’t received a single pistol yet.

this will be around 20 to 25 hours for me, I think. typically I only play RPGs that long. but this one has its hooks in me.

Yea i'm at 18 hours played and I just unlocked Venice :lol . Really taking my time with this one. I normally don't do all the side missions in open area games like this but for some reason this game has me hooked. I refuse to move on to the next zone until I get all the treasures and finish all the side missions. I'm saving feathers for later on because I don't really enjoy hunting them down as much as the other stuff.

Also did anyone miss the movie that plays when you leave the game at the press start screen? I just found out about it yesterday. It's really really well done. Check it out if you haven't already.

Gamer @ Heart said:

Yea talk to the trainer. I find it hard to pull off the sand throwing move but I eventually got the achievement. Try and get 4-5 guards to attack you and lure them to a small alley (or anywhere as long as its not a wide open area where they can circle around you), after that I found it easier to just smoke bomb them first and then throw the sand. Now the sweep achievement I have yet to get. I don't see the spear guys very often but I imagine it would be easier to just jack a guy with a spear, pick it up and go find another big group of dudes and then try it. It's really hard to go for the achievement by trying to disarm the spear guy with another 4 guards around you at the same time. Chances are you will probably disarm and kill one of the non-spear guards first leaving you with not enough guards left to go for the achievement.

Korey

Linkzg said:
It's those fucking archers. If they didn't want to get stabbed or thrown off rooftops, they wouldn't worry about me being up there.

Haha so true. Being an archer must be the worst job in Italy. You spend all day standing in one spot murdering anyone who dares walk on a roof. Then you get your throat sliced open by an approaching stranger who you see but can't do anything about

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Had my best kill yesterday: spotted one of Borgia's messengers running on the rooftops, so I entered pursuit. I was closing in on him as he turned left and jumped down all of a sudden, I decided to go with it and follow the curve and keep the high path. As the messenger was jumping from beam to beam, I got in position and did an air assassination, contact came while he was in mid-air :D Just felt awesome.

UrbanRats

WTF is the 3rd cape slot for? :(
1 is for plane
2 is for
Medici's
3 is for ???
4 is for
Auditore's
(i guess)

and also, did they ever give you a "no notority" cape for Venice/Forlì, EVER?
(like the Medici one)Aside from the ball mask segment, wich was AWESOME, especially with the golden mask.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you get a Venetian Cape when you're all but finished with Venice.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Game selling 32% faster than AC1:
OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE RECEPTION FROM GAMERS AROUND THE WORLD FOR ASSASSIN'S CREEDTM II

SALES UP 32% IN WEEK 1

LONDON, UK - November 24, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announced record first week sales performance for its Assassin’s Creed™ II video game with 1.6 million units sold through worldwide according to internal estimates. This represents 32% growth over the first week sales of Assassin’s Creed. Launched in November 2007, Assassin’s Creed remains the fastest selling new video game intellectual property ever in the U.S.

Assassin’s Creed II has received an overwhelmingly positive reception from gamers around the world and from the video game trade press with to date an average user rating of 94% on Gamespot.com and over 91% average critics score according to GameRankings.com.

Assassin’s Creed II invites players to become Ezio, a privileged young noble in Renaissance Italy who’s been betrayed by the rival ruling families of Italy. Ezio’s subsequent quest for vengeance plunges players into a captivating and epic story that offers more variety in missions, surprising and engaging new game play elements, diverse weapons, incredible depth and lasting appeal and a profound character progression that will appeal to fans of the original Assassin’s Creed as well as entice players new to the brand.

Great news, I want more :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good for them. this one deserves it.

I'm glad Desilets and the entire team in Montreal are back in form. I can't help but root for them, they've made so many great games. :)

Dibbz

Wait how can I change my cape? I went to the tailors and could only change my colours. I checked the menu's and there was nothing their either.

I've unlocked the first cape btw just wondering how to change back to my old one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dibbz said:
Wait how can I change my cape? I went to the tailors and could only change my colours. I checked the menu's and there was nothing their either.

I've unlocked the first cape btw just wondering how to change back to my old one.
it's under inventory and attire, or something like that. press start and choose inventory, you should be able to work it out from there. I'd didn't discover that screen until after I finished the game. :)

I'm still only a couple of hours into the game, it is improved over AC1 for me... but whoever said it's better than Uncharted 2 I don't agree with... I don't know, I think I'm missing something. I can't get over how bad the faces are - but maybe I've been playing too much Dragon Age in between. :lol

Ranger X

Solo said:
I told all you worried people not to, well, worry about AC2 sales :lol

Believe me I was the first to be worried, especially when I saw our first 2 quarter sales dropping like 54% in sales or something. We were like the only studio in the world that hasn't been affected by the recession yet and now Assassin 2 will probably let us back into positive numbers!!

PowderedToast

well i decided to start a new game after losing 20 hours. after the initial slog it hasn't been that bad, which is a testament to how good the game is. i've also been able to do more successful assassinations as i messed up quite a few on my first run. im going through it much faster than i thought possible, tbh.

i'll leave all the side-missions till after i beat the story, i think.

duckroll

Ranger X said:
Believe me I was the first to be worried, especially when I saw our first 2 quarter sales dropping like 54% in sales or something. We were like the only studio in the world that hasn't been affected by the recession yet and now Assassin 2 will probably let us back into positive numbers!!

So about that patch...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm still only a couple of hours into the game, it is improved over AC1 for me... but whoever said it's better than Uncharted 2 I don't agree with... I don't know, I think I'm missing something. I can't get over how bad the faces are - but maybe I've been playing too much Dragon Age in between. :lol

The face are fine
when you compare them with the pure-white eyes. Especially Ezio's brother scared the living shit out of me

Baker

Banned
Beat it last night so I can now officially declare it my GOTY.

I actually have to work today so I'll just post some stats from that Web Battles site...

Time Played - 24:39:58
Distance Covered - 193388 m
View Points - 100%
Feathers - 39 % :D
Hidden Blade Kills - 335
Fight Kills - 825
Height Climbed - 9330 m
Villa Restored - 90.0%

Top Bottom