• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

MMaRsu

Camper182 said:
I hope you're not mistaking :(

Dude read the rest of the thread. This game fixes everything you might not have liked about AC1 and throws some more cake on top of it.

With whipped cream

and a cherry

with chocolate dripping down the sides.

I'm hungry :(

ezekial45 said:
It took me a few tries. The center piece was always off more me, and that was the piece i needed.
The key to getting those puzzles is to buil from the outside in. One of the two wheels moves freely if done correctly.

Ranger X

Square Triangle said:
Okay the part when
you're following Maria in the Altair dream..climbing that stupid ass tower was a bitch.

If people are having a hard time with this they must be crying in the catacomb levels...

Mana Sin

MMaRsu said:
Dude read the rest of the thread. This game fixes everything you might not have liked about AC1 and throws some more cake on top of it.

With whipped cream

and a cherry

with chocolate dripping down the sides.

I'm hungry :(

Damn you. I haven't eaten ice cream in ages, and now I'm craving some :/

I'm just about to learn the
climb-jump
in my replay. I'm enjoying this almost as much as I did the first time around. This game is definitely going down as one of my favorite games this gen.

Who is Rosa's VA?

Ranger X said:
If people are having a hard time with this they must be crying in the catacomb levels...

No not really. Because this is the only part of the game where you have to do something really stupid that you never had to do before or ever again.

Ranger X said:

No it's not that, the way
the tower is designed and how the wood plank over looking the balcony. You have be on the corner of the balcony facing the plank diagonally on order for Altair to catch it. It's ridic.

unomas

Banned
Ranger X said:

I think it was that one jump where you have to run up and then jump to your right. I was stuck on that one for awhile because there was no other jump like it that I could remember in the rest of the game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ranger X said:

Yo seriously man. The one where
the shit was timed with the 4 levers gave me tourette syndrome cause of some wonky camera angles and the way it would switch in tight spots just wasn't that intuitive for me.
Also I would get close to the end and fuck up the last jump somehow even though I was holding the right direction and Ezio would fall all the way down. That made me furious! hahaha good times.

Ranger X

Square Triangle said:
No it's not that, the way
the tower is designed and how the wood plank over looking the balcony. You have be on the corner of the balcony facing the plank diagonally on order for Altair to catch it. It's ridic.

See? you're doing it wrong. People block there because it's a small move the game actually doesn't teach you. I'm just surprised that people aren't discovering it and especially because you need it in multiple catacomb levels.
You're supposed to make a walling jump. You start a walling on the left of the wood plank and then jump right, or walling on the right and then jump left. Try it. It's actually a useful move.

Walling + jump + no direction = jump the opposite direction
Walling + jump + joystick left/right = jump left/right

Mana Sin

Ranger X said:
See? you're doing it wrong. People block there because it's a small move the game actually doesn't teach you. I'm just surprised that people aren't discovering it and especially because you need it in multiple catacomb levels.
You're supposed to make a walling jump. You start a walling on the left of the wood plank and then jump right, or walling on the right and then jump left. Try it. It's actually a useful move.

But even that is unnecessary, even if it is what was meant to be done. Every time I get to that tower (twice so far) All I have needed to do was stand direction below the lamp and jump straight up. It is far less risky, since there are occasions where a jump may be aimed badly.

Ranger X said:

Actually at one point it does teach you that no direction = jump the opposite direction.

Ranger X said:

You only have to do that in 1 catacomb and it tells you that you have to do exactly that exactly when you need to do it. And you only have to do it in that 1 part of the game and nowhere else.

Ranger X said:

You're assuming that people always do catacomb levels first. I did not that visit that area until after I finish the game. Didn't know you could do that.

Ranger X said:

14ltts1.jpg

klier

Square Triangle said:
Okay the part when
you're following Maria in the Altair dream..climbing that stupid ass tower was a bitch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one....I was seriously about to throw my PS3 out of the window. IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE.
For the rest, I absolutely love this game.

Baker

Banned
Lostconfused said:
You only have to do that in 1 catacomb and it tells you that you have to do exactly that exactly when you need to do it. And you only have to do it in that 1 part of the game and nowhere else.
Maybe I'm lumping in the CE and Uplay maps unintentionally, but I played at least 3-4 catacombs where the wall climb -> side jump was necessary.

NZNova

Baker said:
Hiring hookers or thieves is easier.

I didn't even do that. I climbed up to the roof, killed a guard, and tossed his body off the roof next to the guards. While they were all investigating the corpse I got in behind and made another one for them to investigate when they'd finished.

I'm having quite a time trying to get the 'throw sand in the face of 4 guards' achievement. It's quite hard to pick up sand and toss it at 4 guards without one of them smashing you in the face while you do it. I guess I'll have to use a smoke bomb or something first.

farnham

Banned
Minamu said:
CO-OP really liked the game. So much that they made an entire episode for its review :) http://revision3.com/coop/ac2special

Primarily location spoilers for the first half of the game or so. Watch it & watch out :p

Maybe old, haven't seen it posted in here.
i think this has more to do with the fact that they are having a break right now

next week will be nsmb only for example

I love this game, but they need to allow you to trot slower with the horse, and why can I not pet my horse like I could in the first one? I seem to recall being able to pet my nice horsey.

Mik2121

I don't think I'm rushing through the game, but what do you guys think?

I'm 9 hours in, and I've done:
- Just arrived to Venice, but I'm back in Fortì to do all the sidequests first
- Finished all the side-quests in Florence
- Collected around 70% of the treasures in Florence
- Collected most of the statues in the Villa
- Did almost all (except 2) the sidequests in the other small town near Florence
- Forgot the %, but I get about 13k florin every 20min thanks to the Villa

When I arrived to Venice, I just talked to Leonardo, did the 'tour' and then went back to Fortì.
I don't like it all that much there, but I wanna clear it out before I go to
Venice
, as I feel like I won't want to get back around there.

Also, is there any other city after
Venice
? I heard about
Rome
, but just some small portion?

MMaRsu

HurricaneJesus said:
I love this game, but they need to allow you to trot slower with the horse, and why can I not pet my horse like I could in the first one? I seem to recall being able to pet my nice horsey.

Ehm.. You can hold A while not holding RT and you will walk. If you don't press or hold anything at all you'll just do a faster strut.

there is one treasure chest left in the villa at the top of the tower near the gate that I just can't get to for the life of me. Do I need some sort of special ability to get up to the top of it or something? I climb as far as I can go, and there is a huge section before the treasure that there is nothing to climb on. I must have circled that tower hanging like ten times looking for a place to grab on to.

LCfiner

JodyAnthony said:
there is one treasure chest left in the villa at the top of the tower near the gate that I just can't get to for the life of me. Do I need some sort of special ability to get up to the top of it or something? I climb as far as I can go, and there is a huge section before the treasure that there is nothing to climb on. I must have circled that tower hanging like ten times looking for a place to grab on to.

have you been to Venice yet and hung out with the thieves?

Zeliard

JodyAnthony said:

There's a special move you learn later that lets you leap up and grab ledges that are higher up. I haven't gotten it yet myself but I think that's what you're missing.

Frankly, I think that should have been a part of your moveset from the start. :p Would've seriously come in handy in a bunch of places.

MMaRsu said:
Ehm.. You can hold A while not holding RT and you will walk. If you don't press or hold anything at all you'll just do a faster strut.

Yeah I know, what I am saying is that the slowest trot is not slow enough. Ezio has full analog walking, and it would be nice if the horse could go a little slower

Also, no petting. In the first game, holding A made you blend, but now you just blend when you are in a group, and A is now Fast Walking/Steal. No petting.

JodyAnthony said:

Buy all the upgrades from the dude in the big mansion. Some of them fix the towers so you can get up there.

Baker

Banned
Zeliard said:
Frankly, I think that should have been a part of your moveset from the start. :p Would've seriously come in handy in a bunch of places.
That's the point though. It makes you revisit places and still find new stuff. Granted, it was infuriating the first time you try and climb a view point and couldn't.

I mean, you don't complain about metroidvanias not giving you all the move-sets in the beginning. Least, you shouldn't... :D

JodyAnthony said:

If it on right side (from Moteriggioni entrance), buy one of the upgrade (I think something related to army). You will see what area will be upgraded when you select it.

Zeliard

Baker said:
That's the point though. It makes you revisit places and still find new stuff. Granted, it was infuriating the first time you try and climb a view point and couldn't.

I mean, you don't complain about metroidvanias not giving you all the move-sets in the beginning. Least, you shouldn't... :D

Yeah but free-running in AC is a core gameplay mechanic and involved in almost everything you do, and not allowing you to grab higher ledges until late in the game seems like a strange omission. Messes with the otherwise smooth parkour flow and city traversals.

It's not a huge deal at all, but there have been so many times when there's been a ledge above me and I'm just like "GOD, JUST JUMP AND GRAB IT MOTHERFUCKER". :p

Ranger X

MirageDwarf said:
You're assuming that people always do catacomb levels first. I did not that visit that area until after I finish the game. Didn't know you could do that.

I can't assume the contrary either. lol
Some people will some others don't. I don't know what you're getting at. Just telling the guy what was the intended move at that particular place.
I think the last page or so of this thread demonstrate this move should have been explained clearly in the game.

jett

D-Member
HurricaneJesus said:

Actually you can't pet horses in AC1...I guess because it's someone else's horsie you've stolen. :p BTW you already have a four-speed horse man. :p Slowest is pressing the feet button while just steering him.

Zeliard

I wish there was more to do with the horses in this game. The riding mechanic feels wonderful, and it animates beautifully, too.

And the game looks downright picturesque at times when you're on a horse and the sun is rising in the background and shining blinding light all over the place. I miss the big open outdoor areas from AC1.

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
I wish there was more to do with the horses in this game. The riding mechanic feels wonderful, and it animates beautifully, too.

And the game looks downright picturesque at times when you're on a horse and the sun is rising in the background and shining blinding light all over the place. I miss the big open outdoor areas from AC1.

Man there are way more and bigger outdoor areas than AC1. Have you left Florence yet?

jett

D-Member
MMaRsu said:
Man there are way more and bigger outdoor areas than AC1. Have you left Florence yet?

There really aren't. You should replay AC1. :p Kingdom is HUGE, although there's nothing to do there. As with most everything in AC2, I prefer its more streamlined off-city environments anyway. Kingdom was a waste of time.

Huggers

I absolutely loathed AC. Is this worth my attention? I keep seeing loads of positive stuff about it but am weary after what a repetitive and uninteresting game the first was (to me). Also is there any major difference in quality between the two console versions?

[Nintex]

The Hug Dog said:
I absolutely loathed AC. Is this worth my attention? I keep seeing loads of positive stuff about it but am weary after what a repetitive and uninteresting game the first was (to me). Also is there any major difference in quality between the two console versions?
I don't know about the differences in quality between the console versions but the difference in quality between any other Ubisoft game released this generation is huge. Ubi games always fall apart and end up sucking or get repetitive, this game doesn't. Ubisoft has finally managed to develop a great game that is more than just doing the same shit over and over again.

jett

D-Member
The Hug Dog said:

If you at least liked the combat and the freerunning mechanics, then YES. Everything else has been changed massively and for the better.

360 version is smoother, tears less and has better image quality. My recommendation is to wait for the PC port if you weren't all that into AC1 anyway.

Ridley327

Has there been any word yet as to what DLC they've got cooking outside of the retailer-exclusive maps from Best Buy and Gamestop? There's obviously tons of potential (particularly with
the two corrupted memory blocks
and
Rome
), but I don't want to get my hopes too high like I did with inFamous...

Baker

Banned
Blimblim said:
Is this really an Easter Egg, or something that was supposed to be part of that level and then removed later on? It seems like quite a lot of work for just a hidden surprise. Nice though :)
I don't see how it could have initially played into the level. It's already a mad dash and a couple "fuck you I jumped that way" sections. Adding a giant squid would just have been mean.

Top Bottom