• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Spasm

BlindMonkey said:
I don't know where you're looking for your stats, I looked at the save game file (PS3)
The Save Slot on the 360 version shows a time-of-day stamp, not the time spent playing. To see that, you gotta go into the Options - Stats menu.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
why is this dan brown shit so much more entertaining in a video game :lol

it's like, "i will catch you, knights templar, god yes i will"

i'm far too intrigued and invested.

beelzebozo said:

I once read some shitty airport novel when I was 14 in which an ancient and advanced civilisation (Atlantis in the case of this particular book) are destroyed by some bizarre solar activity. They built a machine to protect the earth from the effects but couldn't activate it in time to save themselves. The Atlantean survivors travelled all over the world implanting various cultural memes and symbols into the primitive cultures of our ancestors disguised as religion. The novel involves the race by some religious expert to correctly interpret the clues and thus activate the sun shield saving civilisation.

I knew they were going in a similar direction for the series by the end of the first game but even I was surprised by how closely ACII mirrors that book. I was not impressed.

I'm honestly still hoping that the world within the animus and the 'memories' Desmond is experiencing are all some kind of S3 situation designed to brainwash Desmond. Think about it; in ACI the leader of the Assassin's turned out to be the bad guy as you were in an animus created by the (presumably Templar controlled) Abstergo. But in ACII, with Desmond inside an Assassin controlled animus, suddenly the Assassins are the good guys.

I also hoped that in the contemporary world, the architecture is very homogenised and some of the familiar layouts between ACI and ACII (mainly the stepped stacks of crates and beams) are actually based on the utilitarian structures Desmond would run into in ACIII. I'm still curious how they're going to explain all of the sword fighting in the modern setting.

By the way, I played through the game with my mate and haven't finished the truth yet (waiting for the PC version to 100% stuff like that) so if whatever that turns out to be totally contradicts my theory, please bear that in mind.

edit: Fuck, went overboard with the spoiler tags I guess. I haven't been in this thread so I don't know what's cool to talk about.

Double edit: Funny thing about Dan Brown, I read the Da Vinci Code and that guy just ripped off Broken Sword!

LiK

beelzebozo said:

lol, yes, when i played AC1, i was thinking of Dan Brown already...

jett

D-Member
Huh, does the real-life world take place in Italy too? I just noticed italian text on the walls of the Assassin's hideout.

purg3

slept with Malkin
quick question for anyone who purchased at gamestop, was the preorder bonus packaged in the game or was it a separate download card?

LiK

purg3 said:
quick question for anyone who purchased at gamestop, was the preorder bonus packaged in the game or was it a separate download card?

i got the master edition and the preorder code was on the same paper as the exclusive one INSIDE the game case.

jett

D-Member
Yep, Desmond and the rest are definitely in Italy...the houses outside the facility's windows look exactly like the ones in Florence.

That is...weird.

LiK

jett said:
Yep, Desmond and the rest are definitely in Italy...the houses outside the facility's windows look exactly like the ones in Florence.

That is...weird.

yea, i noticed that too. i think they were reusing graphical assets or Desmond was hallucinating.

Baker

Banned
purg3 said:
It was in the game case. I was kinda of pissed because the actual cover art had a stupid "Gamestop Only" logo on it.

Jtyettis said:
1000/1000. Again incredible experience. To be honest I would pay a premium price for a serious expansion.
Yeah. I appreciate this game so much I've bought the Altair avatar costume and both premium themes just because I want to keep giving them money.

---

Good call on the Desmond crew being in Italy, I never picked up on that. I seriously cannot fucking wait for part three. I'm almost to point that I wouldn't care if they farmed it out to Treyarch or something. :lol

jett said:

That is...weird.

Which makes you wonder if the first game area took place there also. Then again, you weren't aware of the drive length.

wait, what if (end game spoiler)
the place you go at the end of the game is actually the Auditore villa you've been building up with Ezio. that would be awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
Linkzg said:
Which makes you wonder if the first game area took place there also. Then again, you weren't aware of the drive length.

the place you go at the end of the game is actually the Auditore villa you've been building up with Ezio. that would be awesome.

http://www.monteriggioni.info/

That's a real place, though, and kind of a tourist attraction. Dunno why they'd go there.

jett

D-Member
Linkzg said:

HEH, maybe. Well it's definitely not in the same vicinity as Abstergo, the buildings around that place are modern...but they couldn't have driven that far to leave the country. I mean the guy is stuck in the trunk, that'd be just mean. :p If someone's italian here, you could check if the licenses plates on the cars in the parking lot match. :p

I believe that Patrice and this team understandably fell in love with Italy
and couldn't bear to leave these cities behind them. I think there's a chance the next game will re-use some of the cities but in the present, with some other place in the past. This would enable them to re-use most of the assets from this game and have the game come out sometime in the foreseeable future. :p Then again they'd probably flee the country to escape from from Abstergo. :p But it'd be awesome if the HQ of the current assassins was in fact in Monteriggioni like you say. The leaders better be all kinds of badass, too. :p

It's not surprising if they liked Italy so much. Hell, my biggest concern with the next game is that I feel like it's impossible for them to top Italy for gameplay, style and design.

jett

D-Member
Linkzg said:
It's not surprising if they liked Italy so much. Hell, my biggest concern with the next game is that I feel like it's impossible for them to top Italy for gameplay, style and design.

No you're right, it's pretty much impossible to top Venice and Florence, nevermind renaissance Venice and Florence. They screwed themselves there. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, even just collecting the feathers in Venice is making me realize how beautiful it is ingame. It's seriously insane.

Amir0x

Banned
I am taking this game so slow it's absurd. I did most of the available assassin missions before I even got the dodge move, making the one with the fucking eight brutal knight guys really difficult :lol

I haven't even got to Venice yet after 30 hours. I never want this game to end, never. The second biggest surprise of the year for me, considering I really genuinely did dislike Assassin's Creed.

jett

D-Member
dragonflys545 said:
Aren't they the same character with different voice... and hair style?

Supposedly, but for some reason Desmond looks really weird to me personally. He looked better in AC1. :p

...not that I care about that kinda thing.

kaskade

Amir0x said:
I am taking this game so slow it's absurd. I did most of the available assassin missions before I even got the dodge move, making the one with the fucking eight brutal knight guys really difficult :lol

I haven't even got to Venice yet after 30 hours. I never want this game to end, never. The second biggest surprise of the year for me, considering I really genuinely did dislike Assassin's Creed.
I am too now. I got to Venice pretty quickly but now I'm slowing down. I started looking for feathers and glyphs, doing side missions. I've played maybe 5 hours over the past 2 days and I did one story mission.

jett said:
Supposedly, but for some reason Desmond looks really weird to me personally. He looked better in AC1. :p

...not that I care about that kinda thing.

He does look better in AC1... He looks weird as shit in the second one.

AkuMifune

Banned
dragonflys545 said:
Aren't they the same character with different voice... and hair style?

I think they used the same character model for Altaïr too. Damn lazy devs using recycled assets.
lol

Finished last night. It's my GOTY, easy. While Batman provided more challenge and better combat mechanics, the world and the story in AC2 were hands down the most engrossing for me all year. Uncharted 2 falls to third.

So torn between AC2 and MW2. Which one to buy. I'm leaning towards AC1 and I don't know why. I was so disappointed in AC1, it was the only game in my life as a gamer I've actually traded in.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BOTH AND HAD TO PICK ONE!?!?!?!

Eric WK

I need this game. Going to hit Wal-Mart tomorrow at some point to pick it up, because I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

jett said:
No you're right, it's pretty much impossible to top Venice and Florence, nevermind renaissance Venice and Florence. They screwed themselves there. :p

I dunno, I would be all over Revolutionary Paris or Victorian London.

burgerdog

criesofthepast said:
So torn between AC2 and MW2. Which one to buy. I'm leaning towards AC1 and I don't know why. I was so disappointed in AC1, it was the only game in my life as a gamer I've actually traded in.

Assassin's Creed II.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
criesofthepast said:

AC2 is an absurdly better single-player game, and while it isn't my favourite game of the year, it is definitely the game that I felt like my $100AU was most justified. The game is just brimming with awesome content.

I guess if you like the MP thing in MW2, then it's worth taking a look, but nonetheless, I can't recommend AC2's single-player campaign enough.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
astroturfing said:
i think feudal Japan was referenced to at the end of AC1. also Peru (the Nazca Lines). and a bunch of other cryptic stuff.

all those drawings you saw in the end were pictures Subject 16 had drawn, they re-appear in AC2 as Glyphs you have to seek out. I don't think they're references to potential sequels.

duckroll

An AC game set in feudal Japan would be pretty hilarious. There would be 1 viewpoint per city, every single building will look identical, and instead of huge cities, you'll be horse riding through long mountainous roads and forest passages just to get between many tiny ass villages and castle towns. Not sure if want. :p

criesofthepast said:

asking this in an AC thread is kind of silly. but anyway, I have them both and I'd say MW2. But if you want a used copy of AC2 for PS3, let me know. :p

MMaRsu

Well MW2 is only worth it for the MP for me. The SP is pretty boring, I haven't even finished it since I've had the game. Lol.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
jett said:
Ugghh I can't stand the framerate issues, the constant screen tearing and the blurry image quality any longer. I've tried to stay positive, but I can't seriously recommend the PS3 version to anybody. I'm sorry if I did. :p If you only have that console, do yourself a favor and wait for the PC release next year. Seeing how smooth the 360 version is the Co-p review truly made me realize how wrong I was.

Is the pop-in as horrible in the 360 version? LOD textures, shadows, grass and people can and will pop in mere feet in front of you.

Someone from my PSN friend list, MrPertusato
who is still waiting to getting approved here
, asked me to post this:
kamorra, please tell jett that framerate issues with ac2 ps3 have to do with some ps3 settings. especially he has to default all music settings, except normalizer which has to be off. I was having issues too but this worked beautifully for me. It's very smooth now. weird, but true.

Ok I'm out. Still have to play AC2 and don't want to read any spoilers.

Top Bottom