• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

jett

D-Member
OmonRa said:
Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

If Bards are annoying you hit the high profile button (right-trigger on the 360) when they're in your face. You'll give em a small shove, they'll drop their instrument and walk away without even making a fuss. I've done it so often now its purely instinctual.

I finally beat the story last night. All I've got left is feathers, treasures and a few side missions. The ending was so-so, and will only be redeemed by whatever direction AC3 ends up taking. Whats funny to me is that rather than jumping right back into the game to collect the feathers and stuff I'm more likely going to go back and finish AC1 as I'm only about a third of the way through that game.

One question on AC2 though for fellow feather hunters. Is there a way to tell how many feathers still need to be found in each location? I spent about 2 hours in Florence last night without finding anything - not sure if I'm missing something or if I've found them all.

sangreal

NullPointer said:
If Bards are annoying you hit the high profile button (right-trigger on the 360) when they're in your face. You'll give em a small shove, they'll drop their instrument and walk away without even making a fuss. I've done it so often now its purely instinctual.

I finally beat the story last night. All I've got left is feathers, treasures and a few side missions. The ending was so-so, and will only be redeemed by whatever direction AC3 ends up taking. Whats funny to me is that rather than jumping right back into the game to collect the feathers and stuff I'm more likely going to go back and finish AC1 as I'm only about a third of the way through that game.

One question on AC2 though for fellow feather hunters. Is there a way to tell how many feathers still need to be found in each location? I spent about 2 hours in Florence last night without finding anything - not sure if I'm missing something or if I've found them all.

Goto the DNA menu, it will tell you how many feathers you are missing in each district of each city

Zaphyr

Neo Member
NullPointer said:

Open the menu screen and select DNA. Scroll to the right (past the memory sequences) to feathers. You can check how many you have for every city and the districts within the cities.

Ahh DNA - thanks. I was surprised it wasn't listed along with glyphs and tombs in the Database. Thanks for the info.

My only complaints with the game now that I've finished it are the controls and some of the ultra-linear missions. The controls work for the most part, but when you really need them to work in a pitch perfect manner (chases and races especially) they are not only too touchy, but also prone to make the wrong "choice" on your behalf, and one single misstep could end up with you shimmying to correct your course, which takes fucking forever, or you know, you just jump off a 4 story structure and splatter on the ground. So, seriously, fuck races.

The linearity was also pretty annoying in some missions, especially in a game like this that gives you a silly fuckton of options and techniques. I like to use stealth as much as possible, and some missions that *should* let you be sneaky arbitrarily cut the world off, or even disable weapon options (what do you mean I can't use my throwing knives?). It comes across as fake as running into invisible walls in other games. Ubi should either open future missions up to more strategies, or use more story explanations why certain techniques or weapons are not available to you.

Regardless, its still my GOTY. Guess I'll save the rest for the spoiler thread.

How high does the Villa's income get once you've upgraded and collected everything? I'm getting a little over 10k every 20 minutes at the moment.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IIRC it tops out at 15k every 20 minutes, or so.
My villa is at 100%, but with over 800k florins and nothing to waste 'em on, I stopped paying attention to my income some time ago. So I might be off.

I really hope the DLC will offer a lot of new stuff to buy ... maybe my own villa or something else big. So far this is really one of the best games I reccently played. The only criticism I have is as mentioned earlier the controls seem to act weird when you really need to nail a certain (time based) part. So basicly the games only fault is my own problem to stay calm during time based event :D

NIN90

MMaRsu said:
When was this?

When you leave the Animus, just before you enter Venice for the first time. You can talk to that annoying brunette chick and they'll talk about the improvements to the Animus. Desmond will comment on the new subtitle feature.

NullPointer said:

I always just stole from the bards, they seem to go away when you do that too.

daw840

Does anyone else fight almost exclusively with your bare hands? I just LOVE taking an enemy's weapon and killing them with it!:D

anddo0

I finally finished the game.. UBI can take my money, because AC3 is day one. I'll have to view some Youtube videos on the ending, just wow!

I'm missing 41 feathers for my platinum. I have some maps, so I'll tackle that when I have the time.. Really awesome game, vast improvement over the first.. And of course I'll be purchasing both DLC packs:D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
ultron87 said:
Btw, how awesome is the fact that one of the things you do in this game is
"jump from some scaffolding in the Sistine Chapel in order to stab the Pope in the head"? Also, Machiavelli is an Assassin?
Totally awesome!

What's even better is that
Borgia is reciting the Creed (in Latin)
before you kill him. So meta it hurts. :lol

daw840 said:
Does anyone else fight almost exclusively with your bare hands? I just LOVE taking an enemy's weapon and killing them with it!:D

I've spent most of my days disarming guards just because it's so great. I was surprised to see that Brutes are among the easiest to disarm and kill with one hit.

Haint

I like AC1 and 2, but this one still seemed really repetitive to me. It's like instead of doing 1 mission type for around 10 hours, you're doing 3 or 4 for 20+. Etzio's story was just a snoozer, nothing interesting about it at all. The truth, ending, subject 16, and out of animus stuff was a million times better than the Renaissance side kick bullshit that comprised 90% of the story.

Muffdraul

When it comes to bards, I grab, throw, kick while down, loot, pick up, and drop them into the canal, into a haystack, or down a well... whichever is closest. It's well worth the smidgen of notoriety.

soyboy

Muffdraul said:
When it comes to bards, I grab, throw, kick while down, loot, pick up, and drop them into the canal, into a haystack, or down a well... whichever is closest. It's well worth the smidgen of notoriety.

Fucking Looters!

They're Ass Creed's equivalent of beggars. I hate it when three to four of them approach you at the same time in the middle of the plaza. I generally slit their throats and leave their bodies in public for all to see. May it be a lesson to future looters who approach me. You will meet a swift end!

ultron87

luxarific said:
What's even better is that
Borgia is reciting the Creed (in Latin)
before you kill him. So meta it hurts. :lol

Lol.
When you get in there the objective "Assassinate without being detected." I thought for a second that I would have to wait until everyone bowed their heads down or something. Then I realized that was silly. Do you have the range to shoot him from up there?

Also, didn't Ezio make the choice to not kill him during the second "I already killed you so let's have a chat scene?" That seems weird.

I just need to finish up The Truth now and maybe clear out some side missions.

Cool game, but even after playing for hours, it feels like one looooong series of tutorials. And why do I get the feeling I won't even need to use most of the mechanics I'm constantly being introduced to? Beautiful game though.

MMaRsu

revolverjgw said:
Cool game, but even after playing for hours, it feels like one looooong series of tutorials. And why do I get the feeling I won't even need to use most of the mechanics I'm constantly being introduced to? Beautiful game though.

You will. The game really opens up a little further in the game.

Zachack

I use just about everything in the arsenal except daggers, which I can't figure out the point of. I don't pickpocket, either.

MMaRsu said:
You will. The game really opens up a little further in the game.
If anything its almost too big.

And as far as all the various mechanics go, you'll be tested on just about each and every one. Hell, there were a few tricks I didn't end up using until the last mission, wishing I had really explored them earlier on.

Zachack said:
I use just about everything in the arsenal except daggers, which I can't figure out the point of. I don't pickpocket, either.
Its good for extremely quick attacks, and looks cool. My favorite is the butcher knife. Just looks evil and painful, and has a sick coup de grace.

bdouble

Zachack said:
I use daggers the majority of the time. Stabbing someone in the top of the head in the middle of a comba is nice.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ultron87 said:
Lol.
When you get in there the objective "Assassinate without being detected." I thought for a second that I would have to wait until everyone bowed their heads down or something. Then I realized that was silly. Do you have the range to shoot him from up there?

Also, didn't Ezio make the choice to not kill him during the second "I already killed you so let's have a chat scene?" That seems weird.

I just need to finish up The Truth now and maybe clear out some side missions.

Yes, I shot him:p

Korey

revolverjgw said:
And why do I get the feeling I won't even need to use most of the mechanics I'm constantly being introduced to?

I have this complaint about the
gun
. You use it a few times immediately after learning it, and then it's not practical enough to use in any other mission after that really.

jett

D-Member
Korey said:
gun
. You use it a few times immediately after learning it, and then it's not practical enough to use in any other mission after that really.

It's excellent for killing archers...that haven't spotted you yet. :p

bdouble said:
I use daggers the majority of the time. Stabbing someone in the top of the head in the middle of a comba is nice.

If I use bladed weapons it's mostly daggers. Nothing better than a Renaissance man using a dagger on his opponent. I will say I'm disappointed with the designs of the short blades other than the Dagger, Knife, and Stiletto. The butcher knife? Bleh!

Troidal

Reallink said:
I like AC1 and 2, but this one still seemed really repetitive to me. It's like instead of doing 1 mission type for around 10 hours, you're doing 3 or 4 for 20+. Etzio's story was just a snoozer, nothing interesting about it at all. The truth, ending, subject 16, and out of animus stuff was a million times better than the Renaissance side kick bullshit that comprised 90% of the story.

I just finished the first assassination so I'm not very far in, but so far I feel the same way. Yes, it is an improvement over AC1, but not by a mile. It is still the same game that still feels repetitious, but I don't mind it because I loved the first game to begin with.

I also actually liked the Crusade setting more. It's darker and the feelings of being a lonely assassin fits the game better (even though the story was shit). This one seems a bit too happy at times and sometimes the humor can be campy. I can't help to think that they chose the Renaissance because of all the fuss with The DaVinci Code.

Hard to say its GOTY material for me so far. And I havent played Uncharted 2 yet. Still an awesome game though, very addictive like the first.

unomas

Banned
Troidal said:
I just finished the first assassination so I'm not very far in, but so far I feel the same way. Yes, it is an improvement over AC1, but not by a mile. It is still the same game that still feels repetitious, but I don't mind it because I loved the first game to begin with.

I also actually liked the Crusade setting more. It's darker and the feelings of being a lonely assassin fits the game better (even though the story was shit). This one seems a bit too happy at times and sometimes the humor can be campy. I can't help to think that they chose the Renaissance because of all the fuss with The DaVinci Code.

Hard to say its GOTY material for me so far. And I havent played Uncharted 2 yet. Still an awesome game though, very addictive like the first.

I got a platinum on both games, and I'll take UC2 over Creed 2 anytime. Creed 2 is good, but it's very repetitive, and the game is very long. Nothing wrong with a long game, but when it starts to drag that isn't a good sign. I can't believe how many people are drooling over it and the story. UC2 is my GOTY right now followed by MW2, and Creed 2 would be 3rd at this point. I still haven't cracked into the God of War collection though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Korey said:
gun

It's pretty useful, you just gotta bolt the fuck away from the place afterwards.

acevans2

I must suck at the combat or something. I basically just try to do counters, but I'll have a dude go for me and my counter doesn't do any damage to him at all; just the same animation of him blocking it 3 and 4 times in a row. It's incredibly annoying because it takes forever and gets me nowhere. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
acevans2 said:
I must suck at the combat or something. I basically just try to do counters, but I'll have a dude go for me and my counter doesn't do any damage to him at all; just the same animation of him blocking it 3 and 4 times in a row. It's incredibly annoying because it takes forever and gets me nowhere. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

You should combo hit them, it's way faster and more efficient than waiting for them to attack you one at a time, you should always have a finger on the R trigger too though so you can counter any attacks coming from behind.

acevans2 said:
I start with a defensive stance and get ready to counter right from the get-go, especially if you're surrounded or in tight quarters. Otherwise try and get some space and move so that you don't have anybody behind you. Attack the odd man out and try to get in as many combo hits as you can without getting within attack range of other enemies. In general, if they're big dudes, armored, or with heavy weapons, ready yourself to dodge and riposte, or attempt to disarm empty handed. If they're smaller, quicker foes, stay prepared to counter and make attacks when you have an opening.

If you counter-attack but don't do much if any damage, use a dodge on their next attack and go full in. If you've managed to put one enemy out of position, or see one tired or stunned/surprised, use the opportunity to grab them - once grabbed, you can cut their throat or toss them into other enemies. If you're getting skewered by spears and halberds your best bet is to go hand to hand and steal their weapon from them.

The combat isn't perfect, but its got a nice rhythm to it once you get the handle of it. Just be prepared to counter/dodge/attack, or throw depending upon the enemies that attack. And remember that you can always taunt to compel the enemy to attack.

If all else fails, either break out of combat and take a different angle of attack, or my personal favorite:
smoke bomb the fuckers
and show em what really happens when you corner an assassin.

Red

Well, just finished. Pretty great but I've been playing for so long that I don't think I could take everything in by the end of it. 3 a.m. right now, but once I got to memory 10 I just couldn't stop playing :lol

Finished with all weapons and missions complete, 85/100 feathers (gonna be real fun looking for the rest D; ), but I'm still missing half the secret areas. What's up with that?

The story is less intriguing this time around, especially the ending. There's no mysterious hook like the first game had with the blood-spattered walls, which was a little bit of a disappointment to me. On one hand, it's nice to actually have something explained by a game's ending for once. On the other hand, not knowing what was going on at the end of the first game played a huge part in my anticipation for AC2. There are some things I'm curious about still,
like why the Abstergo logo was showing up inside the Vault
, but it's not nearly a mystery on the same level as AC1. I'm still looking forward to the third game. Can't wait. Despite the exposition, the game does a great job of building up the tension and upping the stakes. Everything is threatened by the end, which bodes well for the potential of AC3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what just came over me, but I got all the feathers, therefore getting all the achievements, in this game over the last hour or two. I used a map and got over 70 feathers in one sitting. What's wrong with me?

I guess I just like the general feeling that traversing the world feels, especially after playing through (the amazing) Sands of Time. AC feels like the natural evolution of that game's control scheme. I wish there was a wall-run, though; it feels so great in SoT.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
bdouble said:

I also love the move where Ezio slices the guy's throat and in one fluent motion turns to his next victim. Or if he manages to block your attack you turn around in a fluent motion and stab him in the gut.
I usually switch between the dagger and the hidden blades in fights. The move when Ezio crosses the blades through his opponent's neck is awesome and the multistab is ridiculously awesome it should be forbidden!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Rez said:
I don't know what just came over me, but I got all the feathers, therefore getting all the achievements, in this game over the last hour or two. I used a map and got over 70 feathers in one sitting. What's wrong with me?

I guess I just like the general feeling that traversing the world feels, especially after playing through (the amazing) Sands of Time. AC feels like the natural evolution of that game's control scheme. I wish there was a wall-run, though; it feels so great in SoT.

Wall-run combined with air-assassination = too much awesome for the human mind.

yo, I guess i'm at the final mission in creed 2.

I've collected all the codex pages, put them all on the wall. and now it says it will allow me to unlock final memories. tried to use Eagle vision and rotated them to resemble the world map. but nothing actually happens. am i doing it wrong?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Solid warrior said:
yo, I guess i'm at the final mission in creed 2.

I've collected all the codex pages, put them all on the wall. and now it says it will allow me to unlock final memories. tried to use Eagle vision and rotated them to resemble the world map. but nothing actually happens. am i doing it wrong?

There are two or three codexpages that will look as if they're fine, but they're not. If you solve the puzzle, a sound will play.

neorej said:
There are two or three codexpages that will look as if they're fine, but they're not. If you solve the puzzle, a sound will play.
solved it. :D i rotated the squares around russia, and it worked. thanks for the help.

luffeN

I have been playing the game for about two hours now and I can only say that it's fantastic. I am really curious about "The Truth" xD

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit, im stuck in the white loading world place. I can move around but the game won't load the area i want to go to. Fuck!

Red

banKai said:
I have been playing the game for about two hours now and I can only say that it's fantastic. I am really curious about "The Truth" xD
The Truth was too obvious early on. I figured it out as soon as I got video 1. I know I'm not the only one. Still, it was very cool solving all 20 puzzles and getting the full sequence.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, The Truth video wasn't a big surprise for me either. But the full sequence was satisfying to watch, and you don't get the full context of it until you beat the game in any event, so even guessing early what it was all about doesn't 'ruin' it, IMHO.

jett

D-Member
Crunched said:
The Truth was too obvious early on. I figured it out as soon as I got video 1. I know I'm not the only one. Still, it was very cool solving all 20 puzzles and getting the full sequence.

Yes, they kind of blew their big surprise with that stuff. At least for those of us that are perceptive. :p

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Serious question:

As impressive as the Assassin's Creed engine is -- why do the Countryside locations look like utter dog shit?

Pop-up everywhere, terrible LOD issues, grass being drawn on the ground literally 2 feet in front of you, very flat lighting.

It's really annoying as the rest of the game looks pretty damn nice.

Top Bottom