• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

rvy

Banned
Nope. You have to select a different outfit. But why would you want to do that? He looks so boss.

Sure, but the hooded assassin is a trademark of AC. Much like 3 green lights on thermal goggles are a trademark of SC. They should give us the option to toggle it on again.

Bladenic

Sure, but the hooded assassin is a trademark of AC. Much like 3 green lights on thermal goggles are a trademark of SC. They should give us the option to toggle it on again.

Wtf, that's terrible. I don't wanna see Connor's ugly mug all the damn time.

rvy

Banned
Wtf, that's terrible. I don't wanna see Connor's ugly mug all the damn time.

If you have the assassin outfit on, that's what you're getting. You can unlock a few outfits that have hoods on, but that isn't a way to solve the issue.

Bladenic

If you have the assassin outfit on, that's what you're getting. You can unlock a few outfits that have hoods on, but that isn't a way to solve the issue.

Ohhhhh I gotcha, well that's good then, I'm already using the Charleston outfit and I doubt I'll revert back to the regular one at all.

You might be able to glitch the original outfit back by changing into a unlocked outfit and then going back and replaying an earlier memory. I will try messing with it tonight.

I strangely agree with this. At least in the first game they allowed you to grab beggars and throw them against walls. Which was fun.

I'm okay with them not allowing you to kill kids but you should still be able to at least push them out of the way and still kill/push/throw adults. Now I'm beginning to think the reason that they don't let you mess around with NPCs is because of children and they probably couldn't be bothered with creating separate rule sets for interacting with adults and children in the game logic.

ultron87

I am annoyed that my Amazon preorder "Captain of the Aquila" outfit is a lame fancied up version of the outfit Connor actually wears on naval missions. Can you unlock that one at some point?

How the hell do I beat rope beater in hand to hand? He blocks/counters literally every possible move.

Anytime I encounter someone who doesn't respond to regular counters (counter,attack) I try and mash out the different combinations of stuff you can do till it works (counter,disarm,attack or counter,counter,attack or break defense, attack)

edit: ah okay I see this is a special enemy type

how do i hang someone with a rope dart? use it in a tree or something?

From a tree branch, while holding the Y/Triangle button, press down on the LS

emag

My wife was playing through Revelations while I went through ACIII. There's no doubt in my mind that Revelations is the stronger game, despite its flaws (weak story, excess moves, wagon set pieces). What Revelations did so well was open up everything within just a couple of hours so you could play the game as you saw fit, with a compact and well-designed environment to work in. The missions and tombs were also at their pinnacle.

The glitchiness of AC III is simply infuriating, and the both the lead character and setting are entirely uninteresting, while the story missions are atrocious (too often shoehorning historical events into an inappropriate engine, and feeling disjoint as well). If it weren't for the updated fast travel, I would have returned the game long before completing it.

Overall, I'd rank the games from most to least enjoyable as follows:
1. Brotherhood
2. AC II (tie)
2. Revelations (tie)
4. AC III
5. AC I

Yeah, counter him near objects.

Also, looks like I have a glitched Encyclopedia of the Common Man. The game tells me I have all entries on Lance, but the log says I'm missing one. It also says I'm still missing an activity of Myriam's, but I can't find her doing anything new.

Bladenic

I was able to kill a dog in a chain kill. Not sure if it was attacking me or not though.

Sure it wasn't a guard dog? Those are obviously kill able. I never tried killing a regular dog or cat, and I don't want to try lol.

Also I can't get the hang rope dart kills either, how do you them? I tried holding triangle and pushing L stick but I still can't get it. Don't know how I got it during the tutorial.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
how do i hang someone with a rope dart? use it in a tree or something?

Yeah you need to be above them. The "tutorial" was kinda fubar so dont think it really teaches you how to do it unless you were in the trees. For 2 of the 3 poachers. Ive noticed I actually pull it off when spotted, vs me just choking the fuck out of the guy by pulling up on the rope while still standing above my target.

NZNova

What's up with groups of guards suddenly aggroing onto you for no apparent reason? Incognito, no restricted zones anywhere nearby, you jog around a corner and suddenly BAM! redcoats up your ass.

Also, what's up with courier missions where you interact with the guy and he says nothing, but you get this big HUD update with all this shit you have to collect? How about some context, guy?

What's up with liberating a fort, or finishing the Benedict Arnold missions, and having the patriot guards be hostile to you? Why are you guys shoving me? I just gave you this fort, assholes!

Yeah you need to be above them. The "tutorial" was kinda fubar so dont think it really teaches you how to do it unless you were in the trees. For 2 of the 3 poachers. Ive noticed I actually pull it off when spotted, vs me just choking the fuck out of the guy by pulling up on the rope while still standing above my target.

I just press Y and then push the L stick back. Works every time I try it: I even hung someone from the side of a burned down building a while ago.

Bladenic

What's up with groups of guards suddenly aggroing onto you for no apparent reason? Incognito, no restricted zones anywhere nearby, you jog around a corner and suddenly BAM! redcoats up your ass.

Also, what's up with courier missions where you interact with the guy and he says nothing, but you get this big HUD update with all this shit you have to collect? How about some context, guy?

The guards guarding alleyways always attack you, it's been like that in every AC game since 2, don't remember if it was like that in 1.

MattDoza

I tried using the rope dart like I was Scorpion, on a few of the chases. Was disappointed to find out it didn't work when I tried.

Also use Y/triangle to counter with your secondary weapon. They can't block that.

Break Defense rarely worked for me, so yeah, it was a whole lot of secondary weapon usage. The problem I had with them was that they often took way too long to kill especially if I didn't have my rope darts equipped and was using a pistol. There is no time to reload in combat, so yeah. (And I know you can change weapons, but with only 4 quick slots, I had fists, knife, axe, and one other) Combat was a major step back in mechanics. And don't get me started on how janky the human shield move was. I could get it to work maybe 1 out of every 5 times.

Interfectum

All these negative posts. The Escapist told me to "Grab it as soon as you can. For how much quality gameplay it offers, Assassin's Creed III feels like four independently excellent games rolled into one" yet you guys seem so down on it.

Who to believe...

Struct09

All these negative posts. The Escapist told me to "Grab it as soon as you can. For how much quality gameplay it offers, Assassin's Creed III feels like four independently excellent games rolled into one" yet you guys seem so down on it.

Who to believe...

I think the game is definitely worth owning. The flaws just really stick out since the game is otherwise amazing.

What's up with liberating a fort, or finishing the Benedict Arnold missions, and having the patriot guards be hostile to you? Why are you guys shoving me? I just gave you this fort, assholes!

Yeah, that was really bad. I just killed like 100 redcoats and then get no respect. What the hell?

Who to believe...

The game is the epitome of a flawed Gem. When it succeeds, it REALLY succeeds, but when it fails, you want to rip your hair out. Part of the frustration is that they get things wrong in this one that they had right in every previous Assassin's creed game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Who to believe...

Probably the people who aren't part of a publication.

Who to believe...

Overall the game is pretty damn good (story wise especially) but its surprising how many bugs there are and how badly they screwed around with the control system. Seems like the AC3 team didn't understand why the puppeteer system that Patrice and co. created for AC1/2 was so elegant, and in turn has created a mess of the core controls. And also they do a real bad job explaining the games secondary systems as well. Maybe they did that to avoid overloading players who just wanted to focus on the core gameplay, but still, there should be a way to explain the secondary stuff if you want to dive deep into it.

The most frustrating things are the stuff they've regressed on. Like some of the controls, and even the HUD stuff. For example you don't get the distance of an objective unless you explicitly mark it on your map. And if you mark it on your map, you get an intrusive nav point floating in the world that you can't disable without disabling other critical HUD elements (such as enemy status).

They've made stealing more involved but its not as neat as the system was in AC1. AC1 was neat because there was the depth to stealing (making sure you didn't get caught), and AC2 was neat just because you could steal a ton of stuff fast, and AC3's stealing system is like the worst parts of both (slow to steal, no depth to stealing other than holding button longer).

Lockpicking is another system that they needlessly added. They don't explain it properly when you start playing (that theres a timer on lock picking), but once you get the system down its so easy to unlock every single chest with your eyes closed that there was pretty much no point on expand on the system from AC2.

And I hate to sound like a broken record but the safe freerun (which works very well in the trees) really destroys the fun out of climbing and running around rooftops. And the old Free-Hand/Grab button doesn't do anything most of the time in this game.

All of the new stuff they added (tree freerunning, naval battles) are really really good. But its just frustrating when you know that if they didn't mess around too much with the previous game overall it would have been a much better package. Its a very good game, I'm down with people giving this game anywhere from 80-90 or even more (I gave it 4 stars) but I feel like it could have been easily 5 stars for me if they didn't regress on some things.

Bladenic

Are you kidding me? There are zillions of the things, everywhere. They just expose approximately fuck all of the map.

Lol sorry I don't see it. I've already gotten all the synchronization points I could on the Frontier and Boston, there were very few of them compared to 2/B. Are there synchro points that aren't shown on the map? I haven't exactly been checking for them if they don't show on the map, but I've yet to get an option to synchronize unless it was a viewpoint on the map.

Krentist

Neo Member
I had a major glitch that confused the crap out of me.

In the duel against
Haytham
, something happened and I was able to wail on him with square (never needing to counter and trigger those little conversations between fights) and I KILLED him outright, his body flopping onto the ground. Then, Connor kept yelling at his ragdoll, which was odd because it looked like he was angrily telling off a corpse. I think because
Haytham
was dead, it wouldn't play whatever his lines were in the conversation. Needless to say, I had to reload the checkpoint because it never triggered the final assassination scene. :\

Top Bottom