• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Nope they are not glitched. The time you have to press the buttons is just shorter than with regular wolves.

You could place down trip mines or get up on a tree and shoot them with arrows or the pistol.

You can't kill 'em with ranged weapons for the 100% synch. And they're definitely glitched, I pressed 'em instantaneously and they still failed.

wingz

This game gets all of my hate after the sequence 12 chase. I put up with so much from this game but it pushed past my breaking point. I'm going to finish off some quick trophies and trade this in as soon as I can.

How this got any higher than a 3/10 on reviews is baffling and the most obvious sign of how corrupt the gaming media is.

You gotta cut him off just by jumping across the ships. You don't chase after him. Just because you don't like a game =/= corrupt gaming media. I do agree the game as it fair share of glitches/bugs.

Game is very uneven. There are parts when I'm playing and think that this is the best thing I have ever played, and there are times when I want to throw my controller through a wall.

The stuff that they changed from previous games is almost universally for the worse.

-Viewponts no longer unlock the entire map/show you all the missions available. This is HORRIBLE. A major thing in an open world game like this is letting you know what missions you have available. I beat the game last night and I still don't know where the Benidict Arnold missions are. I'm missing homestead stuff and I don't know where or how I missed it, and Liberation missions as well. Boo Ubisoft. Seriously, awful.

-Combat is the worst it has ever been in the series. Especially against the big guys. The counter button SUCKS, and chain attacking isn't as good as it was in Rev. It's a shame because the number of animations is amazing and it makes you feel like a badass when it works, which is not as often as it should.

-Story is RUSHED at the end. I know that there were cut scenes according to the Spoiler thread, but the game climaxes after
Chesapeake Bay
Finally Connor was reaching the levels of Badass that Ezio and Altair were at, but then it just goes downhill.
Haytham goes out like a punk
and the
Fixation on Charles Lee is just weird when you consider everything Conner learned.

-Too much busywork with the homestead. The system of AC2->Rev is still better because it gives you a reason to expand while not bogging you down in the not fun crafting/merchant crap. Liberation had this stuff as well, and it sucked there too.

-Mission selection was odd. I mean you have a game where you are chilling with George Washington and don't have a mission where you (spoiler for what ISN'T in the game)
CROSS THE DELAWARE? The most Assassin's Creed like mission from actual history is not in the game. Beautiful.
That was such a huge disappointment for me. Again, what were they thinking.

Still, when I had fun, I had a LOT of fun, so I do say the game is worth it, it just has a LOT of missed potential, probably the most I've seen this gen. Connor even didn't suck for a couple of missions.

Do you also need to do all the Frontiersmen stuff for that achievement? Because if so, I'm fucked, I didn't listen to every Washington conversation.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Achilles, he is a pro at this game. Fuck him.

Actual spoiler:
I'm gonna do the homestead missions so he dies, he will never beat me ever again, bwahahaha!

-Viewponts no longer unlock the entire map/show you all the missions available. This is HORRIBLE. A major thing in an open world game like this is letting you know what missions you have available. I beat the game last night and I still don't know where the Benidict Arnold missions are. I'm missing homestead stuff and I don't know where or how I missed it, and Liberation missions as well. Boo Ubisoft. Seriously, awful.

Hold on, the Benedict Arnold's are now available? What the hell?!

I have never been so torn with a game, I love to play it, but the elements are so poorly assembled together, that it seems that the only polished aspect is fighting and free-running. And even those have their glitches.

Derrick01

Banned
You gotta cut him out just by jumping across the ships. You don't chase after him. Just because you don't like a game =/= corrupt gaming media. I do agree the game as it fair share of glitches/bugs.

The media is definitely corrupt. There's no possible argument to be made for anything other than a 5/10 at most. There's too many awful design decisions, horrendous control, camera and performance issues and awful missions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Seriously? I spent a sad 30 minutes running up and down the bottom of that cliff, mashing climb. Ugh.

I tried the tutorial thing in the beginning with Haytham and I couldn't win at all. Never looked back.

I spent at least an hour. Such a damn waste of time. In general, I find it really hard to know where to climb on a cliff. Sometimes it's demarcated by a greenish line of grass or moss. Other times, it's just a crack or seam. There's one pegleg that is in a difficult to reach location on one of the hunting club missions. The only way I was able to find a way up there is because of the signposting for the mission; unfortunately I fell and died trying to get the pegleg, while getting the hunting trophy. I have no idea how to get back up there to try again for the pegleg since the cliffs all seem smooth now whereever I try to climb. :(

Eideka

Banned
You aren't the only one.

I understand the disappointment, people expected AC 3 to set a new standard and I can't say that this is the case. It's a superb game plagued by its ambition I think.

Yeah, I can't wait for a next-gen Assassin's Creed. This is going to be glorious, like the first time AC 1 was revealed.

Lima

Do you also need to do all the Frontiersmen stuff for that achievement? Because if so, I'm fucked, I didn't listen to every Washington conversation.

Go to replay sequence 9 memory 1 and after you take control of Connor just go to Washington and listen to his conversations.

Fucking Achilles, he is a pro at this game. Fuck him.

Actual spoiler:
I'm gonna do the homestead missions so he dies, he will never beat me ever again, bwahahaha!

Some white dude will take his position who is even better at the game.

Jeff-DSA

The glitches are getting out of hand. In the first few hours I've seen:

- Riding along, my horse sinks into the ground and I have to reboot because I'm stuck.
- Riding along and my horse sinks into the ground. I can dismount, but have to run for 10 minutes to get where I'm going.
- A key enemy fell through the ground, making it impossible to finish the mission.
- A mission started and I immediately failed all of the objectives.
- Weapon drops falling into the ground.
- Randomly floating objects, some out of reach so they're inaccessible.
- Riding in a cart and the horses get stuck on a tree. You can't pass the mission without the horses (that you don't control) making it to the destination.
- Killed a guy who had an item I needed, he fell through the ground, making it impossible to loot the body.
- Framerate drops and screen tearing.
- Lost an item out of my inventory. Just gone. Had to reload to get it back.
- Camera swings in front of my character and locks, making it impossible to see where I'm going. Have to reload game.

Interfectum

The glitches are getting out of hand. In the first few hours I've seen:

- Riding along, my horse sinks into the ground and I have to reboot because I'm stuck.
- Riding along and my horse sinks into the ground. I can dismount, but have to run for 10 minutes to get where I'm going.
- A key enemy fell through the ground, making it impossible to finish the mission.
- A mission started and I immediately failed all of the objectives.
- Weapon drops falling into the ground.
- Randomly floating objects, some out of reach so they're inaccessible.
- Riding in a cart and the horses get stuck on a tree. You can't pass the mission without the horses (that you don't control) making it to the destination.
- Killed a guy who had an item I needed, he fell through the ground, making it impossible to loot the body.
- Framerate drops and screen tearing.
- Lost an item out of my inventory. Just gone. Had to reload to get it back.
- Camera swings in front of my character and locks, making it impossible to see where I'm going. Have to reload game.

GOTY

Game is very uneven. There are parts when I'm playing and think that this is the best thing I have ever played, and there are times when I want to throw my controller through a wall.

The stuff that they changed from previous games is almost universally for the worse.

-Combat is the worst it has ever been in the series. Especially against the big guys. The counter button SUCKS, and chain attacking isn't as good as it was in Rev. It's a shame because the number of animations is amazing and it makes you feel like a badass when it works, which is not as often as it should.

-Story is RUSHED at the end. I know that there were cut scenes according to the Spoiler thread, but the game climaxes after
Chesapeake Bay
Finally Connor was reaching the levels of Badass that Ezio and Altair were at, but then it just goes downhill.
Haytham goes out like a punk
and the
Fixation on Charles Lee is just weird when you consider everything Conner learned.

-Too much busywork with the homestead. The system of AC2->Rev is still better because it gives you a reason to expand while not bogging you down in the not fun crafting/merchant crap. Liberation had this stuff as well, and it sucked there too.

-Mission selection was odd. I mean you have a game where you are chilling with George Washington and don't have a mission where you (spoiler for what ISN'T in the game)
CROSS THE DELAWARE? The most Assassin's Creed like mission from actual history is not in the game. Beautiful.
That was such a huge disappointment for me. Again, what were they thinking.

Still, when I had fun, I had a LOT of fun, so I do say the game is worth it, it just has a LOT of missed potential, probably the most I've seen this gen. Connor even didn't suck for a couple of missions.

The viewpoint stuff is a bummer. Actually I assumed the forts were the only thing that wasn't shown by doing the viewpoints (which I was kinda fine with because you found them by getting all chests on the chest map). Didn't realize I may be missing some missions.

What are your thoughts on the HUD and Control changes? Other than the obvious bugs (like Connor's outfit not being reflected in cutscenes) those are the changes that kill me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Some white dude will take his position who is even better at the game.

Aw, man. You gotta be kidding me lol.

And I need to beat him to get the freaking trophy. I sometimes hate minigames like these. At least in RDR, there was technique, and the bots didn't think 10 moves forward.

Blue Ninja said:
Wait, I can't even find those Kidd missions to replay in the DNA menu. What's up with that?

Ironically enough, those are the best missions! They're bound to be there somewhere.

rvy said:
ol, gaming media. I'll agree with the 8s though. The campaign makes the game feel like a 7, but it only gets good after you finish it.

Not necessarily, if you played side-missions while playing the campaign.

I get this weird Anakin Skywalker in Episode II vibe from Connor..

Just the way he acts at times. I just finished up a cutscene and I had to double check and make sure that his voice actor wasn't Hayden Christensen.

vladdamad

Once I went into denial and started to pretend that the story isn't canon (especially the ending) I started to have a pretty good time. Yes, the glitches are Bethesda level, but the side quests themselves are pretty fun. You just have to believe that this is a different IP. BELIEVE.

Eideka

Banned

Just the way he acts at times. I just finished up a cutscene and I had to double check and make sure that his voice actor wasn't Hayden Christensen.

That's not a compliment, is it ?

Christensen was laughable in SW.

Naite

I just crafted a rope dart pouch 1, but I still can't carry any more than 5 rope darts. Are any of the other pouches like this?

Sorry you are frustrated man, but it sounds like you have to spend more time figuring out the combat if you are still trying to counter kill the brutes. Either break their defense till you sweep them to the ground then attack. Smoke bomb them. Or just shoot them in the face.

SKILLZ my man!!

No way, no, no, no.

I think I'm gonna quit this thread for a while. I'm starting to get angry with this game.

Though if I remember correctly. I had looked at the database for those missions and they appear as full spots. Nothing missed. So does that mean those optional things don't matter? Or maybe I'm too tired and there was blank spots on them. FUUUUUUUUU

Lima

I just crafted a rope dart pouch 1, but I still can't carry any more than 5 rope darts. Are any of the other pouches like this?

Yes. The rope one is glitched though just like the twin holsters.

You can get saddle bags for your horse so you can refill your inventory on the road.

There are pouches for ammo (you can hold up to 40 rounds), for the smoke bomb, poison darts, trips mines, for the quiver.

Pretty much for every weapon/item in the game.

Lima

Sorry you are frustrated man, but it sounds like you have to spend more time figuring out the combat if you are still trying to counter kill the brutes. Either break their defense till you sweep them to the ground then attack. Smoke bomb them. Or just shoot them in the face.

SKILLZ my man!!

Also use Y/triangle to counter with your secondary weapon. They can't block that.

Yeah I don't think you can replay them, least not to my knowledge. :(

Okay, fuck this. I can't even find the Brawlers because the icon doesn't show up on my map.

Ubisoft has shown such an incredible degree of incompetence when it comes to this game. There's no way in hell they worked on this from the end of ACII, and if they did, they should be embarrassed. Heck, they should be embarrassed anyways, because this is bullshit.

Good thing Halo 4 is coming tomorrow. This had the potential to be my GoTY, but Ubisoft clearly doesn't care about quality anymore. Fucking Skyrim was more polished than this game. And when a Bethesda game has you beat for polish, something is terribly wrong.

btw did anyone ever use the money toss for anything? I didn't touch it once in this game lol.

I didn't even realize it was there for the longest time. I think one of the problems is the crowd stuff in general is just really de-emphasized in this game to the point where you can't even forcefully push your way through them without running. I understand how the cities aren't as populated as in AC1/2, but they should have set up a few sequences/missions/areas with heavy crowds.

Eideka

Banned
Haha, no, no compliment. It's just when Connor gets upset and starts yelling there's this... tinge of whining in it, which is exactly how Christensen sounded in Ep II and III.

Well, you are actually right, there is definitely a resemblance between Connor and Christensen.

I'm still disappointed by his admittedly relative lack of charisma, Ezio is a far more memorable character in my opinion.
Connor is more straightforward, more honest, follows his instinct. He does not seem to be as clever/calculating as Ezio, in short he is not a natural leader.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Okay, fuck this. I can't even find the Brawlers because the icon doesn't show up on my map. And now I can't try 100% it because of Ubi's incompetence? Good thing Halo 4 comes out tomorrow, because this is bullshit.

I inadvertently killed a brawler (he fell into the ocean from a ship and apparently couldn't swim), but when I quit the game and restarted, the icon for his location reappeared and I could try again.

I am running into a glitch where I can't get the third assassin from Boston since I failed the first time at one of his missions and the icon won't reappear. :(

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
btw did anyone ever use the money toss for anything? I didn't touch it once in this game lol.

Nah, the children are easily avoidable and there's no situation that requires you to distract guards with money.

You made me remember another con of the game, there's not much social stealth. Using disguised Assassin ability is pointless too.

As I said, the elements are great, but they are poorly assembled.

Yeah, I cringed a couple times at some lines. Like I said before, Ubisoft seemed way more worried about an actual native american to voice Connor instead of getting someone who actually had range.

I guess you could look at it that English is actually his second language so he might have trouble with things like inflection.

Was English Hayden Christensen's second language? "You underestimate my POWER!" Hahahahahaha.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
End game question regarding an outfit:
Is there a way to put the hood back on the assassin outfit once you finish the game?

Lima

End game question regarding an outfit:
Is there a way to put the hood back on the assassin outfit once you finish the game?

Nope. You have to select a different outfit. But why would you want to do that? He looks so boss.

Top Bottom