• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Tex117

Banned
I'm appearantly one of the few who actually like Connor.

Unlike Ezio and his wild temper, I feel that Connor is almost zen-like. Always calm and thoughtful, respectful and "in touch" with nature and its animals [being able to pet animals is pretty cool]. He has found inner peace since he became an Assassin.

Or something, I don't know. He acts silly sometimes and has arguments with certain characters for no reason but other than that I like him. I especially like how he interacts with the Homestead people, very friendly and caring.

Nope you are not alone.

He comes across confused and frustrated. As I would imagine someone like him would be. I think Ubisoft took a risk with writing this type of character as opposed to a more dudebro Indian style kinda guy.

I like him as much or a hair more than Ezio.

jondabomb

Hasn't been a deal breaker for me, but there sure are a lot of bugs in this. Just watched a whole cinematic where none of the character's mouths were moving when they spoke.

Prine

Banned
Connors plight seems the most significant of the 3. Unlike Ezio or Altair, Connor is fighting for his survival. For me that seems like a far greater struggle then Altair search for himself and Ezio need for revenge.

I just completed sequence 6 btw.

I've got to add that this is probably the worst explained game in the history of gaming. How did this pass any form of user testing? I complete a required task and have no idea what needs to be done next, im wondering the landscape with no direction, no hint. I only manage to trigger a "sequence complete" by accident sometimes. Strewth.

Connors plight seems the most significant of the 3. Unlike Ezio or Altair, Connor is fighting for his survival. For me that seems like a far greater struggle then Altair search for himself and Ezio need for revenge.

I like this analysis and I agree with it, but I'm only on sequence 6 too. I think, if you played Revelations, that Ezio's story becomes one of a "search for himself" as well, and Desmonds story is kind of the same. I imagine Conner's will take a bit of a turn in that direction by the time this is over too. It seems to be an overarching theme for the franchise, and one that really works for them.

Prine

Banned
Building up the homestead is so cool and fun.

Can you explain this?

Sequence 6

Do i need to start at a certain sequence for me to begin? I have 3 occupants in my homestead - seems like i cant do anything else.

Also a question re Boston, i walked into town after completing S6
I was able to speak to an NCP sitting on a bench cleaning his firearm, he said he was inspired by me and to come back later.... what does that mean???? Come back in a day? At night?
Bloody vague game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can you explain this?

Sequence 6

Do i need to start at a certain sequence for me to begin? I have 3 occupants in my homestead - seems like i cant do anything else.

I was able to speak to an NCP sitting on a bench cleaning his firearm, he said he was inspired by me and to come back later.... what does that mean???? Come back in a day? At night?
Bloody vague game.

You didnt talk to him during S6? He's an assassin recruit, you get him by liberating south boston after doing all the liberation missions in that zone. you can probably still do it, just do the missions first (i haven't beaten S6 yet, but I just did this part last night)

Lima

Okay so I'm not the biggest fan of AC's multiplayer but I can appreciate the fact that it is something original and fun and is nothing that feels tacked on like in most other games.

But holy shit that new coop mode Wolfpack is fun and since you can level up there too, I won't even need to play any multiplayer and just get the level 20 achievement there.

If anyone wants to play this, please send me a FR = Revolver Ned

Bladenic

Can you explain this?

Sequence 6

Bloody vague game.

Do you regularly check your map? There are house icons which are homestead missions that bring new settlers or help existing settlers. The person you spoke to is a possible assassin recruit. Check the map and you'll see a large number of Liberation missions, these all have the Assassin logo. Complete them to earn new recruits. It kind of sounds like you're not checking your map, or maybe you accidentally turned off certain icons. Unless you have the worst glitch ever.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Finished all the homestead missions earlier today. Man that ending was pretty touching. Some of the cut-scene animations for the missions were just terrible though.

jett

D-Member
So, what's the deal, did Ubisoft simply forget to include cinematic camera angles during combat? BTW the combat is terrible in this game, the flow is complete garbage. Wait, there is no flow. Chain killing feels and looks like shit, the moves don't string together adequately from a visual standpoint. You can't kill two guards at once at will in the middle of chain killing like you could in Brotherhood. What the fuck is this crap, seriously? Why did Ubisoft hire some nobody to direct AC3?

Welp. 34 hours played, 75% complete, at the start of sequence 9.

I've now found all the collectibles, all the fast travel stations... basically gone to every blip on the map that I can go to except main missions. And seriously FUCK ALL OF THAT SHIT.

Ubisoft, adding all of this shitty side content to your game does not make it better. In fact, it makes it MUCH, MUCH WORSE.

Just scrap side content for the next AC game, PLEASE, and just make the main missions way better instead

Edit: ^^^ the above is of course excluding the amazingly fun naval missions, those are awesome

Lima

Ubisoft, adding all of this shitty side content to your game does not make it better. In fact, it makes it MUCH, MUCH WORSE.

Just scrap side content for the next AC game, PLEASE, and just make the main missions way better instead

The fuck?

If anything they should throw out the main missions and just give a sandbox with various stuff to do.

Wallachia

SLAP!

SLAP!

Those are at the last 2 posts. I just don't agree. Out of all that can be said about such a bold, vast game and story such as this? I've never felt so immersed. And the combat is fucking bad-ass, I smile at the kills I do and how connected I feel in the combat.

Lima

SLAP!

SLAP!

Those are at the last 2 posts. I just don't agree. Out of all that can be said about such a bold, vast game and story such as this? I've never felt so immersed. And the combat is fucking bad-ass, I smile at the kills I do and how connected I feel in the combat.

I loved the story in this. I even liked the ending.

But you can't throw out the side stuff. That is what MAKES an Assassin's Creed. It is pretty much the main reason you can play this single player for so long.

Melville

Guards are everywhere in Boston,and almost no place to hide, so annoying...

I've been running in circles for five minutes. Running away from guards and hiding used to be so fun in Brotherhood.

one_kill

So if I fail the last optional mission in a playthrough, I'd have to repeat the whole thing again if I want full synchronisation? Some of them are just absurd and require you to guess who you have to kill during frantic fight sequences (
like the snitch in sequence 2
). Fuck optional missions.

I hate the new weapon screen. What was wrong with the wheel in AC2? Was it too complicated that they had to blank out the whole screen and separate them into two?

And while I'm enjoying the story so far, I'm really disappointed with the flow of some of the sequences. For instance, in the last mission of sequence 2,
I suddenly find myself fighting a group of armed men about to fire at me even though the previous part required me to remain undetected.
It's so jarring and momements like it really does shine a negative light in some of the design aspects of this game.

At least multiplayer is working fine now. It was a pain in the ass trying to log into the servers before. I really enjoy wolfpack, but I hate playing with players who don't have a clue how to play it properly.

I've now found all the collectibles, all the fast travel stations... basically gone to every blip on the map that I can go to except main missions. And seriously FUCK ALL OF THAT SHIT.

Edit: ^^^ the above is of course excluding the amazingly fun naval missions, those are awesome

Side content does not need to be scrapped but ubisoft does need to refine their attitude about what makes a game fun. Its very hit and miss in this game and I enjoyed most of the side quests in AC2. Its unusual to play a game as inconsistent as this.

Rounding up pigs into a pigsty for example is not fun, neither are those awful QTEs you are forced to do whenever you see an elk or a wolf.

SLAP!

SLAP!

Was just about to post something similar.

Played for around 26 hours already, on Sequence 9. Did all the Captain Kidd missions earlier, now I'm just doing side stuff around Boston/
New York (btw I love that city)
, the Frontier, and the Homestead. All of the locations are so well done. I'm having such a good time with the game. I love it.

Guards are everywhere in Boston,and almost no place to hide, so annoying...

I've been running in circles for five minutes. Running away from guards and hiding used to be so fun in Brotherhood.

Have you tried lowering your notoriety?

Noi

I loved the story in this. I even liked the ending.

But you can't throw out the side stuff. That is what MAKES an Assassin's Creed. It is pretty much the main reason you can play this single player for so long.

The side stuff would be fine if there was some god damn justification for doing it.

You collect feathers for no reason. You can collect the almanac pages without ever meeting Ben Franklin and having him ask you to do so. The delivery, assassination and courier missions you accept and complete with no instructions other than "You have my everlasting gratitude, sir!" You can liberate forts since before becoming an Assassin, and even after helping the Patriots do EVERYTHING they're still hostile towards you. There's no payoff to the Frontiersmen missions other than "mystery solved, go listen to the next tall tale". Going through the Underground is utterly pointless and just makes you waste 1-2 hours finding all the Quick Travel exits, when the first thing Sam Adams tells you is that the tunnels are actively used by the rebellion. Why are they all locked then?

I was fine with all the side stuff in the earlier games because they actually tried to justify why Ezio would try to look for them. In this one, they feel entirely tacked on and ultimately do nothing to help Connor.

Everdred

Watching the credits roll right now. Good game, only ran into a few minor issues. Great voice acting and I love the character models.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Terrible idea, just terrible. Why make a huge open world if there is nothing to do in it after the story is finished. They do need to improve the activities though, I mean pigs, seriously?!

Derrick01

Banned
SLAP!

SLAP!

I didn't know it was so easy to be immersed and connected in a game that does most of the work for you. Connected is the absolute last word I would use for the combat in this game.

JB1981

Finally figured out how to consistently grab a ledge when dropping. Just hit up on left stick and he will grab nearest ledge

Wallachia

The side stuff would be fine if there was some god damn justification for doing it.

You collect feathers for no reason. You can collect the almanac pages without ever meeting Ben Franklin and having him ask you to do so. The delivery, assassination and courier missions you accept and complete with no instructions other than "You have my everlasting gratitude, sir!" You can liberate forts since before becoming an Assassin, and even after helping the Patriots do EVERYTHING they're still hostile towards you. There's no payoff to the Frontiersmen missions other than "mystery solved, go listen to the next tall tale". Going through the Underground is utterly pointless and just makes you waste 1-2 hours finding all the Quick Travel exits, when the first thing Sam Adams tells you is that the tunnels are actively used by the rebellion. Why are they all locked then?

Is this true? NOTHING as far as reward for the feathers and pages? Or is it a matter of the rewards not being clear? I'm hoping it is the latter.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Can't understand the controls complaints. They are so much better than AC1 and AC2. Just YouTube some videos of those games and look at how janky the controls were compared to this

Finally figured out how to consistently grab a ledge when dropping. Just hit up on left stick and he will grab nearest ledge

Controls are that good, eh?

Noi

Is this true? NOTHING as far as reward for the feathers and pages? Or is it a matter of the rewards not being clear? I'm hoping it is the latter.

I was talking more about Connor's reasoning to hunt down feathers and almanac pages, but I'm aware that the rewards aren't exactly stellar either.

The feathers give you
the outfit you had as a teenager. aka an outfit he already had.
I don't know what you get for all the almanac pages.

You recieve recipes for collecting Almanac pages.

Collecting all the feathers does get you a reward. Check the logbook.

Wallachia

I didn't know it was so easy to be immersed and connected in a game that does most of the work for you. Connected is the absolute last word I would use for the combat in this game.

When timing the counters right and using the weapons you want (or stealing the weapons you want from a victim) I felt connected. Have you chained kills yet? And you have a few differnent button options after countering. Plus, using human shields, or throwing enemies off ledges. And the music, that connects me too.

I was fine with all the side stuff in the earlier games because they actually tried to justify why Ezio would try to look for them. In this one, they feel entirely tacked on and ultimately do nothing to help Connor.

This post. So much.

This game hardly even has side "missions". It has side content, sure, but side missions? Where the fuck are they? They don't exist, really.

Aside from the naval missions, which are the best parts of the game.

AC2 and Brotherhood and Revelations had side missions for each faction (thieves, courtesans, fighters). Those are nonexistant in this game. In this game you have "challenges" and "tasks".

I suppose the Benedict Arnold missions could be good, haven't done those yet. At least those are actually true "side missions", unlike the rest of the side content in the game, which equate to NOTHING MORE THAN "Here's a list of things to do, tick the box as you complete them. Have fun!"

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I also want to mention that the trophy icons are shit and they were shit in Brotherhood and Revelations too. AC2 trophy icons were awesome. It's a small thing to complain about but dammit I want nicer icons.

I think Connor's a great character, but it seems that you really have to do a lot of the side mission stuff to actually see more of his development and character. The main missions really only show off bits and pieces of him.

Derrick01

Banned
This post. So much.

This game hardly even has side "missions". It has side content, sure, but side missions? Where the fuck are they? They don't exist, really.

Aside from the naval missions, which are the best parts of the game.

AC2 and Brotherhood and Revelations had side missions for each faction (thieves, courtesans, fighters). Those are nonexistant in this game. In this game you have "challenges" and "tasks".

I suppose the Benedict Arnold missions could be good, haven't done those yet. At least those are actually true "side missions", unlike the rest of the side content in the game, which equate to NOTHING MORE THAN "Here's a list of things to do, tick the box as you complete them. Have fun!"

They're not. It takes about 30 minutes to do all 4 and they don't do anything different from anything you do in the main game.

Do we ever get revolvers in this game, or is it still too early for the development of that?

Actually, yeah, that's probably a good 50 years too early, hahaha.

one_kill

I'm guessing the best way to play this game is to:
- ignore optional missions
- ignore side missions (or most of them)
- ignore collecting quests

Morts

So did they completely remove the double assassination - the one where you walk up behind two guys and he does the 'T' pose? I've managed to do a high profile and an air double assassination, but not a stealth one.

I only just found you can hold B while running to do faster movement over obstacles (like fences), how did the game not tell me this earlier?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So did they completely remove the double assassination - the one where you walk up behind two guys and he does the 'T' pose? I've managed to do a high profile and an air double assassination, but not a stealth one.

You have to walk up behind them, press R1/ 360 equivalent and then you can do a double assassination. Why they changed it I have no idea.

I only just found you can hold B while running to do faster movement over obstacles (like fences), how did the game not tell me this earlier?

They did a piss poor job at explaining just about everything.

You have to walk up behind them, press R1/ 360 equivalent and then you can do a double assassination. Why they changed it I have no idea.

They did a piss poor job at explaining just about everything.

I didn't know about the double assassination either. So many little changes that are frustrating.

Somehow I'm still enjoying the game though.

Top Bottom