• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

How the hell do I beat rope beater in hand to hand? He blocks/counters literally every possible move.

This guy was such a pain. I just defeated him but it was a bit unorthodox. I could easily knock out his accomplices but when it came to Rope Beater he countered everything. Solution: I simply pulled out my axe and started beating him. His counters were no match for my assassin axe. There was a small note on the bottom of the screen saying that only fists were allowed but never did it disqualify me so I kept on chopping away. When his health bar was just about empty I sheathed the axe and went back to the fists and one to two swings later he was knocked out.

Carbonox

So I crafted the twin holsters. Only, I still have just the one gun. Do I need to equip the second?

Additionally, how do I craft stuff for the manor? Are they under special items?

Lastly, I find the story far more interesting and appealing from sequence 9 onwards when Connor and
Haytham meet and join together
. Connor's a much more appealing character too during these events and scenes.

Tex117

Banned
All these negative posts. The Escapist told me to "Grab it as soon as you can. For how much quality gameplay it offers, Assassin's Creed III feels like four independently excellent games rolled into one" yet you guys seem so down on it.

Who to believe...

Go play it!

I actually really like it.

Sure, there are a few bugs, but I can look past those...just aren't game breaking for me.

I think the story is interesting. I like Conner as a protagonist (though I can see why others dont)...The atmosphere is excellent and there is plenty to do.

I do wish there was more ambient music when just wondering out in the wilderness. ACII always did a good job with this.

I think tomahawk combat is freakin sweet.

Dat navel battles....

This game is getting unfairly hated on by GAF imo.

Carbonox

They seem to be just for show, I crafted it and two guns do show up, but Connor only fires one.

Fucking chumps. I saw that the second gun showed in the shop after I purchased the holsters but then it disappeared from then on. :lol

Go play it!

I actually really like it.

Sure, there are a few bugs, but I can look past those...just aren't game breaking for me.

I think the story is interesting. I like Conner as a protagonist (though I can see why others dont)...The atmosphere is excellent and there is plenty to do.
Agreed on Connor. I think hes perfectly fine as a protagonist. Hes not as charismatic as Ezio but hes also got more personality than Altair had in AC1 (who was basically a blank slate). The one scene where he and Achilles go back and forth about who is right or wrong was genuinely funny to me.

I do wish there was more ambient music when just wondering out in the wilderness. ACII always did a good job with this.
Yep, I noticed this last night. The Ezio games were great because even when you were just sidequesting you could really just enjoy the music. I ended up putting on a podcast as I was collecting feathers/chests/trinkets because the atmosphere was not as great in AC3 (although I guess there's something to be said for hearing the sounds of the wilderness in the Frontier). I didn't really notice how little music there was until I hit the end game.

This game is getting unfairly hated on by GAF imo.

Eh. I don't think everyone is hating on it as in this is a bad game. It clearly is not. Just that people were hoping they didn't mess up the things they did well in previous games. Its always easier to criticize something that you know is so close to being perfect than something that is mediocre.

SJRB

Gold Member
Endgame Connor's default look is pissing me off so much that I blasted through the Homestead missions just to unlock something decent. Still doesn't look as good as the default outfit but I guess it'll have to do.

Why they would remove the hood is beyond me, it's like shaving Mario's moustache or removing the Triforce from the Zelda games. The hood is what defines this game, there must be some kind of glitch here that fails to load hooded character model or something, right?

There's no way this is intentional.

edit: well shit I see it has already been discussed on the previous page. My apologies.

Carbonox

When the hell do I get that Achilles outfit?

Endgame Connor's default look is pissing me off so much that I blasted through the Homestead missions just to unlock something decent. Still doesn't look as good as the default outfit but I guess it'll have to do.

Why they would remove the hood is beyond me, it's like shaving Mario's moustache or removing the Triforce from the Zelda games. The hood is what defines this game, there must be some kind of glitch here that fails to load hooded character model or something, right?

There's no way this is intentional.

A glitch. I had one cutscene where Connor was near bald and lacked the hood. :lol They obviously don't render the hair underneath (sans the side bit of hair with the decorations in).

When the hell do I get that Achilles outfit?

A glitch. I had one cutscene where Connor was near bald and lacked the hood. :lol They obviously don't render the hair underneath (sans the side bit of hair with the decorations in).

I don't think thats a glitch.

Spoiler:
After killing his father, he shaves his hair into a mohawk. I see it as a symbol that hes leaving his father's heritage behind for good when he does that. After Haytham is dead he has that hairstyle for the rest of the game.

Still amazes me how backward the gunplay went.

From awesome hand cannons to having to reload for 30 seconds between shots.

I guess assassins stopped using hand cannons after Ezio.

Krentist

Neo Member
I really didn't like the constantly shifting Notoriety levels in this game. I'd work my ass off to stay Incognito, and then I would enter a new zone and then randomly have level 1 notoriety when sometimes I hadn't before.

MattDoza

How do you get them?

Once you craft the twin holster, you just automatically have it. Now, acquiring the pistol I mentioned... IIRC, you can purchase it in any general store. I forget the name, but the rate of fire is the best. And it's description will detail that it fires twice.

The problem with the twin holster is not being able to choose the second gun. You're just picking your primary, and the second seems to default back to the starter pistol. When you select a new gun, you will have two of the same gun, but it reverts to the starter, for some reason. Probably just another glitch.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay, so about the seasons thing..

The only way for me to play during winter season in the endgame is to
find the Tau Pivot, hack and activate it
? And none of my progress when activated is saved, so hunting in the snow, raiding caravans in the blizzard, assaulting forts and doing liberation missions, basically everything fun I've been looking forward to for 20 hours now is all in vain?

Am I crazy or is this some bizarre game design? I don't understand the philosophy behind this at all. Why not just do a prompt when loading the save asking for Summer or Winter? Or just a menu option to switch seasons. Why does everything have to be so pseudo-complex?

Don't get me wrong, I find the concept of
the Pivots
intruiging, but considering winter and the snow have been a massive selling point of this game, is this really so hard to just implement it without bullshit?

They seem to be just for show, I crafted it and two guns do show up, but Connor only fires one.

Uh, no, you can fire them both, just not at the same time. You can shoot more people before having to reload. I have a pistol with two shots and another regular pistol (I don't know how to equip two of the same kind): I can fire three shots before reloading.

Lima

Okay, so about the seasons thing..

The only way for me to play during winter season in the endgame is to
find the Tau Pivot, hack and activate it
? And none of my progress when activated is saved, so hunting in the snow, raiding caravans in the blizzard, assaulting forts and doing liberation missions, basically everything fun I've been looking forward to for 20 hours now is all in vain?

You can activate the season hack, do all those things and before turning off your console you need to deactivate it and do something so that the game saves.

rvy

Banned
Once you craft the twin holster, you just automatically have it. Now, acquiring the pistol I mentioned... IIRC, you can purchase it in any general store. I forget the name, but the rate of fire is the best. And it's description will detail that it fires twice.

The problem with the twin holster is not being able to choose the second gun. You're just picking your primary, and the second seems to default back to the starter pistol. When you select a new gun, you will have two of the same gun, but it reverts to the starter, for some reason. Probably just another glitch.

Uh, no, you can fire them both, just not at the same time. You can shoot more people before having to reload. I have a pistol with two shots and another regular pistol (I don't know how to equip two of the same kind): I can fire three shots before reloading.

OK, thanks. I just never noticed it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
On sequence 7.

I have no idea what they have planned for AC4 or AC3-2 but whatever it is I hope Connor is gone.

Both me and my gf loved this series for the controls/ezio but they replaced ezio with captain boring and dumbed down the r/a controls too far. I used to be able to chase down the streets letting off A to chase down people but not jump off random objects. Now? Not so much.

I love achelies/the naval stuff/the homstead stuff, but connor and the control changes are gigantic bummers.

TripOpt55

So I feel like there is all this stuff that is objectively wrong with the game and yet, I'm having fun playing it and excited to get back to it when I'm doing other stuff. Strange game this Assassin's Creed 3. Strange game.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm appearantly one of the few who actually like Connor.

Unlike Ezio and his wild temper, I feel that Connor is almost zen-like. Always calm and thoughtful, respectful and "in touch" with nature and its animals [being able to pet animals is pretty cool]. He has found inner peace since he became an Assassin.

Or something, I don't know. He acts silly sometimes and has arguments with certain characters for no reason but other than that I like him. I especially like how he interacts with the Homestead people, very friendly and caring.

You can't seem to craft alot of stuff till later in the game it seems?

I looked through and everything that looked good I needed more crafters for or material not available to me yet. I've done all the available homestead missions so I'll just have to wait.

jett

D-Member
Can someone explain combat to me? What triggers those elaborate multi-kill animations? Seems to be random. I'm also not getting any close-ups at all when I counter-kill, like in previous games. And I'm doing something wrong or does chain-killing feel like complete crap?

btw kenway sucks big dong. when is this extended tutorial going to be over?

Krentist

Neo Member

Unlike Ezio and his wild temper, I feel that Connor is almost zen-like. Always calm and thoughtful, respectful and "in touch" with nature and its animals [being able to pet animals is pretty cool]. He has found inner peace since he became an Assassin.

Or something, I don't know. He acts silly sometimes and has arguments with certain characters for no reason but other than that I like him. I especially like how he interacts with the Homestead people, very friendly and caring.

I felt that, although Connor sounded zen-like, he was just as wild as Ezio in wanting his revenge. At a certain point all I kept hearing from him was Lee this and Lee that. He was a fair and caring guy, but I always felt like Ezio was that way as well. The only difference is that Ezio wasn't opposed to being smarmy or adding a little twinge of attitude when appropriate. I'd say if this was Men in Black, Connor acts more like Tommy Lee Jones, and Ezio like Will Smith.

Carbonox

I find Connor to be arrogant and quite ignorant too at times. He's only really appealing during scenes with him and
Haytham
as they work so well off eachother. Plus it's a bit easier to feel for him.

Then he goes and says something dumb or makes some sort of decision that could impact the cause. Just about every major character points out his retardedness at one point or another.

As I said earlier in the thread, he reminds me of Anakin Skywalker from the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. His voice even reminds me of Anakin's. A bit grating. :lol

SJRB

Gold Member
I felt that, although Connor sounded zen-like, he was just as wild as Ezio in wanting his revenge. At a certain point all I kept hear from him was Lee this and Lee that. He was a fair and caring guy, but I always felt like Ezio was that way as well. The only difference is that Ezio wasn't opposed to being smarmy or adding a little twinge of attitude when appropriate. I'd say if this was Men in Black, Connor acts more like Tommy Lee Jones, and Ezio like Will Smith.

You are very right. Technically they are both equally obsessive and complete psychopaths responsible for the death of hundreds, if not thousands of innocents:

Ezio:
burns down and subsequently whipes out an entire village with toxic smoke in Revelations to flush out one Templar
Connor:
Orders a naval bombardment on Boston [or was it NY] leveling a city block in the process just to flush out Charles Lee

The Assassins are fucking crazy - one of the reasons I side with the Templars.
Everything Haytham says in the game about freedom and whatnot makes perfect sense to me, haha

Peff

Can someone explain combat to me? What triggers those elaborate multi-kill animations? Seems to be random. I'm also not getting any close-ups at all when I counter-kill, like in previous games. And I'm doing something wrong or does chain-killing feel like complete crap?

Basically you press circle at any point between the blow actually hitting and about three hours earlier, which then stops time and allows you to choose between throwing (circle again), disarming (X), counter-kill (square) and secondary counter (triangle). If you happen to be attacked by two enemies at once just pressing circle starts the takedown animation. For the kill streaks just make sure you're moving the stick towards the highlighted enemy. That's pretty much about it. You can use X twice to kick people to the ground and insta-kill them there, which is good for the heavy enemies.

sequence 3 but actually 5

Wix

Multi-kill animations are triggered when you counter two enemies attacking you at once. Chain killing only works after a counter kill. Simply point to the next target and X/square. Some skilled enemies will probably block/dodge/counter though, thus ruining your kill streak. You need to press Y or A when pointing the stick towards these in a kill chain in order to avoid taking damage.

Carbonox

Oh yeah, how do you beat the ropemaster brawler? The chump won't succumb to normal attacks, X button break ups, counters, etc.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

I feel the complete opposite so far about Connor. He gets angry at stupid things like *The Tea Party sequence spoiler*
He doesn't kill the guy trying to buy his peoples land and lets him escape and then gets upset when he comes back and goes to buy the land again. He actually says "But we destroyed the tea" as if that shit is gonna stop the templars from buying land where the assassins hide shit.

I keep trying to like him because he is native and I never see natives in games as the lead character but his character is just not intriguing to me at all so far. I am hoping he grows on me more as the game goes farther. I will say he is a better character than Altair in AC1 but i think they have the same VA in spirit.

This series has always had Uncharted-levels of narrative dissonance. (Asscreed 2, Rev, and 3 spoilers below)

Remember how Ezio suddenly decided that "killing one man" wouldn't solve Italy's problems, despite that being... well, pretty much the Assassin's creed? Remember how in Revelations he kills that executioner guy out of disgust because "he enjoys killing", despite that being 1. the point of the games and 2. constantly making smarmy jokes about icing fools? Why the hell is this game that features slow-motion kill cams having its main character lecture us about the ethics of murder?

Connor I find doubly annoying because at least with Ezio, it seemed like he was detached enough from his killings because he had come to terms with that being his job. Assassins do bad things to save good people; they're supposed to be slightly more murderous Batmen. Too much of Connor's story focused on him chastising people for murder or reminding them to kill them nicely. In one quest I scolded an Assassin recruit and told him "end his suffering cleanly". Ten minutes later I was fighting guards and I shoved a rifle through a guy's chest and shot another one in the neck.

I really like Connor in terms of origin, design, etc, but he is the dumbest character to frame a morality tale around. All of those scenes where he got mad at Haytham for killing people made zero sense considering that Connor's body count at that point is probably in the hundreds.

ultron87

I feel the complete opposite so far about Connor. He gets angry at stupid things like *The Tea Party sequence spoiler*
He doesn't kill the guy trying to buy his peoples land and lets him escape and then gets upset when he comes back and goes to buy the land again. He actually says "But we destroyed the tea" as if that shit is gonna stop the templars from buying land where the assassins hide shit.

I keep trying to like him because he is native and I never see natives in games as the lead character but his character is just not intriguing to me at all so far. I am hoping he grows on me more as the game goes farther. I will say he is a better character than Altair in AC1 but i think they have the same VA in spirit.

That one in particular seemed like a kind of (end sequence 6)
"learning that killing is necessary" kind of thing. Not that Connor hadn't already slaughtered hundreds of soldiers in my game by that point.

jett

D-Member
Basically you press circle at any point between the blow actually hitting and about three hours earlier, which then stops time and allows you to choose between throwing (circle again), disarming (X), counter-kill (square) and secondary counter (triangle). If you happen to be attacked by two enemies at once just pressing circle starts the takedown animation. For the kill streaks just make sure you're moving the stick towards the highlighted enemy. That's pretty much about it. You can use X twice to kick people to the ground and insta-kill them there, which is good for the heavy enemies.

sequence 3 but actually 5

Multi-kill animations are triggered when you counter two enemies attacking you at once. Chain killing only works after a counter kill. Simply point to the next target and X/square. Some skilled enemies will probably block/dodge/counter though, thus ruining your kill streak. You need to press Y or A when pointing the stick towards these in a kill chain in order to avoid taking damage.

Thanks. I really wish the counter window was smaller. They got it RIGHT with the first one, and then dumbed it down for AC2 and beyond. This is WAY too dumbed down though.

So, I got another bug, I think. I picked up a dagger from an enemy, and it seems to be in my inventory for good now. Thing is this dagger makes absolutely no noise at all. :lol

.GqueB.

Banned
The two are pretty much on par. Prepare for an impressively ridiculous ending.

My expectations were pretty low in that regard, yet somehow Ubi manage to perfom under them.

I'm honestly shocked to hear this. It seems like they are going somewhere truly interesting with this and I can't imagine them effing it up all that much.

emag

Story/motivation questions in spoilers!

Why does Haytham put such stake in Charles Lee, to the extent that the former will die for the latter?

Early in the game Haytham speaks of how he rejects cruelty -- is he really in the dark with regard to Charles' behavior or is he feigning it (in conversation with Connor)? Or is Haytham simply in denial?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anybody know where I can get soap for one of the courier quests?
I'm also at a loss to craft special iron ingots? There's a few guns I haven't been able to craft yet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh yeah, how do you beat the ropemaster brawler? The chump won't succumb to normal attacks, X button break ups, counters, etc.

If you go into the logbook it'll give you a clue.

There's a table just outside the covered area. Throw him against it repeatedly

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I keep trying to like him because he is native and I never see natives in games as the lead character but his character is just not intriguing to me at all so far.

That is the one thing that has completely wowed me about the game - Ubi's efforts to respectfully tell the story from the perspective of a Native American and doing their best to get NA voice actors.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...rdetailed_journey_to_the_colonial.single.html

While everyone in the entertainment industry claims to be culturally sensitive when dealing with Native Americans, Ubisoft Montreal didn’t just go through the motions. The game’s makers filtered every relevant plot point and line of Mohawk-language dialogue through Thomas Deer, the cultural liaison for the Kanien’kehá:ka Onkwawén:na Raotitióhkwa Language and Cultural Center in the Mohawk territory south of Montreal. The studio hired an additional consultant to deal with translation—that time-honored Hollywood tradition of having old-timey Native Americans speak to each other in heavily accented English is notably absent in AC3. When the studio wanted to add background chatter to a village scene, Deer set them up with a local immersion school in his territory, where they could record Mohawk children playing during recess.

Mobius 1

Now I can't get Connor to put the hood back on. Which makes him a lousy Assassin.

The love and hate I have for this game is legend.

"So much for the element of surprise"

WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO HERE?

Top Bottom