• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Dave1988

So now my console froze on the Pivots tutorial mission and I can neither place nor find new pivots since both as showing a value of 0. Man, this game is really hellbent on kicking me in the nuts at every occasion it gets. Guess I'll revert to an earlier save once I get the Completionist trophy (from what I can see you don't have to complete the encyclopedia to get it).

I gave this game a chance for about 11 hours now and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Things are explained so poorly. Here is my random list of questions. Can anyone help?

• I just did three naval missions. There were three missions along a line. Apparently each time I did one, the "risk" of the route went down. What does that mean? After I did the first one, nothing. No feedback at all. So I did all three figuring the game would tell me something. Again, no feedback. Now there are no more naval missions. What the hell?
  • Recipes. Why am I getting so many of them, and what the hell are they for? Yes I see them in the crafting menu. I can't make most of them - don't have the materials. Where do I get the materials? And what do I do with all this random crap when I craft it? I just got the recipe for "deer heart." Why??
  • When I LB for the Assassin's menu, I can't do anything. It's just hold down LB, look at a screen that appears to have options, then let go of LB and the menu disappears.
  • Why are the damn tree viewpoints so obnoxious to climb?

Other random complaints:
  • Why, when "warping" to another section of the map, does it warp me to the edge of the same map I'm already on, basically forcing back-to-back loading screens?
  • Why is it so much harder in this game to lose my threat level? (whatever you call it)
  • Why does it seem so much harder, in general, just to get around? Nothing is ever in reach. It's all hard to get to.

Damn, just disappointed.

I gave this game a chance for about 11 hours now and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Things are explained so poorly. Here is my random list of questions. Can anyone help?

• I just did three naval missions. There were three missions along a line. Apparently each time I did one, the "risk" of the route went down. What does that mean? After I did the first one, nothing. No feedback at all. So I did all three figuring the game would tell me something. Again, no feedback. Now there are no more naval missions. What the hell?
  • Recipes. Why am I getting so many of them, and what the hell are they for? Yes I see them in the crafting menu. I can't make most of them - don't have the materials. Where do I get the materials? And what do I do with all this random crap when I craft it? I just got the recipe for "deer heart." Why??
  • When I LB for the Assassin's menu, I can't do anything. It's just hold down LB, look at a screen that appears to have options, then let go of LB and the menu disappears.
  • Why are the damn tree viewpoints so obnoxious to climb?

Other random complaints:

• [*]Why, when "warping" to another section of the map, does it warp me to the edge of the same map I'm already on, basically forcing back-to-back loading screens?
  • Why is it so much harder in this game to lose my threat level? (whatever you call it)
  • Why does it seem so much harder, in general, just to get around? Nothing is ever in reach. It's all hard to get to.

Damn, just disappointed.

I see a lot of complaints about this... is it really that hard to figure out? If you're on the homestead map and you want to fast travel directly to the frontier, for example, don't fast travel to the Frontier exit on the homestead map. Zoom all the way out, then zoom in on the frontier, then choose a fast travel point from the Frontier map.

There, one loading screen.

I see a lot of complaints about this... is it really that hard to figure out? If you're on the homestead map and you want to fast travel directly to the frontier, for example, don't fast travel to the Frontier exit on the homestead map. Zoom all the way out, then zoom in on the frontier, then choose a fast travel point from the Frontier map.

There, one loading screen.

Game should tell you how to do this, or work logically. There is no fucking excuse. It just pads the game's time.

exYle

You have to walk up behind them, press R1/ 360 equivalent and then you can do a double assassination. Why they changed it I have no idea.

They did a piss poor job at explaining just about everything.

Do you have to tap the button, or hold it? It seems like holding it would make it a high profile attack...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Game should tell you how to do this, or work logically. There is no fucking excuse. It just pads the game's time.

I don't think that's really hard to figure out. You can fast travel to boston/new york from the homestead, so it's not like there's any reason to think you need to use it to get to the edge of the map.

Honestly, this is easily my favorite AC so far. I'm up to sequence 10 and the only change I really don't like is the map not being fully revealed after getting the viewpoints. I've adjusted to everything else and am even having a lot of fun with the combat now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If I'm an idiot, then someone please let me know, but I really don't understand what I'm looking at here:

6Vz7Q.png

iZzRa.png

Are they signing the Declaration of Independence on June 16, 1775? Now, lots happened on that day...including the appointment of Washington...but...unless I'm just missing something...the Declaration was not signed then...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
If I'm an idiot, then someone please let me know, but I really don't understand what I'm looking at here:

6Vz7Q.png

iZzRa.png

Are they signing the Declaration of Independence on June 16, 1775? Now, lots happened on that day...including the appointment of Washington...but...unless I'm just missing something...the Declaration was not signed then...

I agree, that does look like the Declaration.

The actual commission looks like this:

http://myloc.gov/Exhibitions/creati...ExhibitObjects/GeorgeWashingtonAppointed.aspx

(LOL at how big John Hancock's signature was there too.)

Finally finished up Dishonored so I'm starting AC3. I've avoided most of the OT and a lot of the reviews to avoid spoilers. Is there anything I should know?

Noi

I don't think that's really hard to figure out. You can fasttravel to boston/new york from the homestead, so it's not like there's any reason to think you need to use it to get to the edge of the map.

Honestly, this is easily my favorite AC so far. I'm up to sequence 10 and the only change I really don't like is the map not being fully revealed after getting the viewpoints. I've adjusted to everything else and am even having a lot of fun with the combat now.

What isn't immediately obvious is that you can fast travel to places other than the the ones in your current map. You're taught that you can fast travel to those places via the boats, not on your own and whenever you want.

Y2Kev

Could they...have gotten the date of the signing of the Declaration of Independence wrong?

Derrick01

Banned

6Vz7Q.png

iZzRa.png

Pretty sure they are signing it in that. If I remember right the database entry for the declaration is added after that so that confirmed it for me.

DeVeAn

I just can't bare the shit frame rate in this game. Is the 360 version better or the same? I want to play the game that's why I didn't wait for pc version but now I am regretting it.

Papercuts

How do I take a guy and make him a human shield? Even when the game told me how, I couldn't figure it out.

Tap A when they have yellow triangles above their head.

What isn't immediately obvious is that you can fast travel to places other than the the ones in your current map. You're taught that you can fast travel to those places via the boats, not on your own and whenever you want.

Hah, yeah I suppose. The whole tunnel system tutorial seemed to spell out to me that you could quick travel whenever, but I guess it's not fully explained.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

JB1981

Anyone having trouble with blocking/countering you have to press block button and hold the left stick in the direction of your oncoming attacker in order to effectively block/cancel out of an attack

kurahadol

There are a lot of things that aggravate me about this game, but whoever though running around underground tunnels to locate fast track locations was an improvement needs to be taken out back and given the old yeller treatment.

Pretty sure they are signing it in that. If I remember right the database entry for the declaration is added after that so that confirmed it for me.

It was probably the Second Continental Congress appointing Washington ? Considering the attention to detail I can't IMAGINE them messing that up.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Can't be. The game clearly says Philadelphia.

It would be a joke (assuming it is one, which I doubt). The document they're signing looks like the Declaration of Independence, but the event they're gathering for is the acceptance speech of George Washington as CIC of the Continental Army. The actual commission looks like it was only signed by John Hancock in his role as the president of the 2nd Continental Congress. Maybe they just wanted video of them doing something and had some scenes already completed for a Declaration of Independence signing sequence. They just figured they could reuse for the speech scene and people wouldn't really notice. Given how rushed/buggy this game feels, that would be my guess. We should ask Guesong. I'm sure the team at Ubi will be impressed at your attention to detail (I hadn't noticed the discrepency until you pointed it out.)

DrPirate

Banned
Can't be. The game clearly says Philadelphia.

lmfao, I'm dying! This is definitely a typo bug, along with the other 50 or so misspelled words that I've caught in the subtitles further proving that Montrealer's can't spell to save their lives hahaha.

Spoiler: I'm a Montrealer, no one shoot. I was kidding. But not really...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Maybe one of the outsourced texture artists made a slip up in mapping a texture?

Noi

I just spent an extra twenty minutes scratching my head in the underground in one of the magic lantern puzzles before looking it up. I'd suggest people going for these underground in New York read up on this one.

The hint to the puzzle door in St. Paul's Chapel is actually incorrect. The clues are as follows:

Symbols are Sun, Mason Symbol, Male Symbol and scales.
- ALL MASONS SHALL WORK HONESTLY UNDER THE SUN
- MASONS RECEIVING THEIR LAWFUL AND JUST WAIGES RIGHTLY
- FOR NO MAN CAN BE LEFT TO FINISH ANOTHER'S
- NOR SHALL THEY TEACH LABOURERS AND UNACCEPTED MASONS AS THEY SHOULD SEE OVER AND TEACH A BROTHER OR FELLOW MASON

So obviously the answer is Sun (Up), Mason Symbol (Bottom), Male (Left) and Scales (Right), right? No, the answer is actually Scales (Bottom) and Mason Symbol (Right). The only hint you have to figuring out these god forsaken doors, and it's incorrect.

This fucking game, I swear.

Edit: And I just realized that the underground map I'm looking at for reference is incomplete because some exits are bugged and don't show up on the map when found. I DON'T EVEN...

Papercuts

I just spent an extra twenty minutes scratching my head in the underground in one of the magic lantern puzzles before looking it up. I'd suggest people going for these underground in New York read up on this one.

The hint to the puzzle door in St. Paul's Chapel is actually incorrect. The clues are as follows:

Symbols are Sun, Mason Symbol, Male Symbol and scales.
- ALL MASONS SHALL WORK HONESTLY UNDER THE SUN
- MASONS RECEIVING THEIR LAWFUL AND JUST WAIGES RIGHTLY
- FOR NO MAN CAN BE LEFT TO FINISH ANOTHER'S
- NOR SHALL THEY TEACH LABOURERS AND UNACCEPTED MASONS AS THEY SHOULD SEE OVER AND TEACH A BROTHER OR FELLOW MASON

So obviously the answer is Sun (Up), Mason Symbol (Bottom), Male (Left) and Scales (Right), right? No, the answer is actually Scales (Bottom) and Mason Symbol (Right). The only hint you have to figuring out these god forsaken doors, and it's incorrect.

This fucking game, I swear.

Masons recieving their lawful and just waiges RIGHTLY? :p

Haven't done this one yet, but this one doesn't seem wrong with that line there. The other 2 I've done both had left/right based on the word being in the phrase.

Amir0x

Banned
The only thing I can think of is that Ubisoft got lazy and didn't want to make a unique Washington's Commission paper texture, so they just sort of put the Declaration paper texture there... I cannot think of anything else that was as significant as that on this day..

I just did three naval missions. There were three missions along a line. Apparently each time I did one, the "risk" of the route went down. What does that mean?

You can craft Naval convoys in addition to Land convoys. Obviously you need the Naval convoys for sea routes, which are otherwise highly risky (80%). Likewise if you start destroying Templar forts you can reduce the risk of land routes.

Recipes. Why am I getting so many of them, and what the hell are they for? Yes I see them in the crafting menu. I can't make most of them - don't have the materials. Where do I get the materials? And what do I do with all this random crap when I craft it? I just got the recipe for "deer heart." Why??

There is a lot of "items to craft to make other items". And some items are also worth more for sale by convoys. But it's a) very complex and b) requires you to build up the abilities of your homestead people. The money can be helpful (particularly because ship upgrades are very expensive) but if nothing else just try to craft the pouch upgrades. More ammo!

When I LB for the Assassin's menu, I can't do anything. It's just hold down LB, look at a screen that appears to have options, then let go of LB and the menu disappears.

You need to have Assassins on your team. Do liberation missions until one joins. Then you can hold down LB and press a specific button to access the mission menu. Unlike previous AC games the recruit assassins are very specific and earning them is gated by the story.

Why is it so much harder in this game to lose my threat level? (whatever you call it)

It's definitely leaning more to AC1 than AC2. I guess the best advice that isn't explained is to head for the rooftops and then look for a hay bale to eagle dive into. In my experience you can just hang there and 90% of the time will lose an immediate chase.

Apart from that just run for the nearest printer and grab any posters you see along the way.

Noi

Masons recieving their lawful and just waiges RIGHTLY? :p

Haven't done this one yet, but this one doesn't seem wrong with that line there. The other 2 I've done both had left/right based on the word being in the phrase.

The problem is that it mentions Masons in three different hints. And the ONLY hint that mentions the law is that one. If the hint is supposed to be accurate, I have no idea how you're supposed to guess that the scales go to the bottom based on that hint.

Y2Kev

The only thing I can think of is that Ubisoft got lazy and didn't want to make a unique Washington's Commission paper texture, so they just sort of put the Declaration paper texture there... I cannot think of anything else that was as significant as that on this day..

Did Ben Franklin sign Washington's commission?

Looks like no based on the http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/uc05081x.jpg...but he's in that scene signing the document I think.

Amir0x

Banned
Did Ben Franklin sign Washington's commission?

Looks like no based on the http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/uc05081x.jpg...but he's in that scene signing the document I think.

shit didn't even think of that

I guess I can just accept they'd get Benjamin Franklin signing a paper wrong rather than the date of the signing of the Declaration of Independence

nobody can miss such a large detail, can they? What does the entry in the animus database say on it, I'm not up to there yet?

The problem is that it mentions Masons in three different hints. And the ONLY hint that mentions the law is that one. If the hint is supposed to be accurate, I have no idea how you're supposed to guess that the scales go to the bottom based on that hint.

Er...not that I've tried this one yet (I'll see if I can go find it now) but...

Because there's only four symbols, process of elimination should work here:
Mason's rightly - okay, Mason symbol on the right.
No Man left - okay, Man symbol on the left.
Mason's under the sun - okay, the sun symbol must be above the mason. It doesn't have to mean directly above. So that means it goes on top?
Maybe the last line is a scales hint but at this point the bottom is the only spot left.

http://www.samanthablackmon.net/notyourmamasgamer/?p=1844
And then, right before I started this post it struck me. I know why Haytham just sticks in my craw! He is the personification of the infamous letter of authenticity that precedes every slave narrative. Yes, I recognize that Connor is neither African (American) nor a slave, but the feeling is still the same. Connor, as Ratonhnhaké:ton, is unworthy of being an assassin. He is tainted. He can only be an assassin (and avenge the deaths of his Native people?) as Connor Kenway, the son of a white man and not the son of a Native American woman. While Ubisoft tries to play up his Native heritage he is another instance of the great White savior coming in to save/avenge the lowly savage. As the game unfolds it becomes clearer and clearer that their representation of Ratonhnhaké:ton was never going to be as problematic as I thought that it was going to be. But hell, call me the eternal optimist (or just the person who doesn’t want to be pissed by a $60 purchase), but I am still optimistic that some good can be pulled out of this in the end.
It's the biggest bait and switch since Metal Gear Solid 2

Noi

Er...not that I've tried this one yet (I'll see if I can go find it now) but...

Because there's only four symbols, process of elimination should work here:
Mason's rightly - okay, Mason symbol on the right.
No Man left - okay, Man symbol on the left.
Mason's under the sun - okay, the sun symbol must be above the mason. It doesn't have to mean directly above. So that means it goes on top?
Maybe the last line is a scales hint but at this point the bottom is the only spot left.

The problem lies in that half the hints can be taken to mean other symbols. MASONS RECEIVING THEIR LAWFUL AND JUST WAIGES RIGHTLY can be taken as Masons, but it's also the only hint that mentions the law, which can also imply the scales. The bottom hint is the only one that only mentions Masons, so it's incredibly easy to get the two mixed up. If someone could explain to me how the bottom hint refers to the scales at all, I'd be less absolutely dumbfounded.

I found other people who were as confused as I was when looking it up, so clearly I'm not the only one who would get confused by this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PUBBIES. WHAT ARE YOU DOING KILLING MY POISON TARGETS IN WOLFPACK?! PUBBIES. STAHP.

Fucking public people mashing square for LOL PEW PEW 200 POINTS instead of letting ME get 700 points AND advance us up the ranks. Stupid.

There are a lot of things that aggravate me about this game, but whoever though running around underground tunnels to locate fast track locations was an improvement needs to be taken out back and given the old yeller treatment.

Really? There's a lot of little problems with this game, but when I discovered the tunnels and the puzzles I thought it was a pretty neat idea!

Noi

Umm..

I have all the locations for the New York Underground. Says 11/11 when I go in. But the DNA tracker still says 84% for the West Underground. Did this game just inadvertently fuck me over? Someone please help cause I'm about to blow a gasket.

Jrmint

This has been probably asked before, but I missed it.

I'm stuck at 71% liberated in the Boston North District. There's no more liberation missions popping up. I'm currently in Sequence 7.

Do I need to progress further in the story to open them up, or am I missing something?

The (I assume) last Homestead mission was nice.
Achilles funeral.

But now I see one more, so!

EDIT: Okay, okay, I see that. Very touching stuff.

Noi

This has been probably asked before, but I missed it.

I'm stuck at 71% liberated in the Boston North District. There's no more liberation missions popping up. I'm currently in Sequence 7.

Do I need to progress further in the story to open them up, or am I missing something?

There are missions hidden in the parts of the map that aren't revealed with waypoints. You need to run around until you find them.

6Vz7Q.png

iZzRa.png

Yeah, I noticed that too, at first I thought it had to be the letter to King George, but I figure they just messed it up. I mean of all games this should have dealt with stuff like the crossing of the Delaware, Lee having a Mohawk wife, and stuff like that. They really messed up history in this one.

Yay! More gamebreaking bugs! This time it's flying main mission guys that are frozen and escorts that are stuck inside dogs and won't follow me ^_^

I love this game! More restarts = more playtime!

PUBBIES. WHAT ARE YOU DOING KILLING MY POISON TARGETS IN WOLFPACK?! PUBBIES. STAHP.

Fucking public people mashing square for LOL PEW PEW 200 POINTS instead of letting ME get 700 points AND advance us up the ranks. Stupid.

If you're not playing with mics, don't even bother with poison. You'll just frustrate yourself.

Top Bottom