• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Noi

Ok, just found out that the 84% underground thing gets fixed in a later sequence via an Underground entrance that you only get then. This game is NOT kind to people who want to get the 100% as soon as possible instead of waiting until beating the game. :/

iddqd

Alright so everyone was complaining about that chase scene in Seq. 8.
I thought: "how bad can it be? cant be that bad!"
But it is!
Its crazy shit.
Was about to throw in the towel after a couple of frustrating tries and THEN,
the idiot runs into a horse.. and just stands there.
GREAT!
I tackle, we go to the loading screen, HARD CRASH.
Thats it for me for today.

kaskade

Is there a section that takes place in the frontier? Right now it's mostly just been Boston but there's really no reason to go there yet. I'm only on sequence 6 right now.

I know I have been kind of down on this game, but little things like running thru the trees and coming across two Elk fighting is awesome. I snuck up behind one, killed it with the tomahawk and then killed the other with the hidden blade while it charged me.

I remember playing ACII and finding two guards to stalk and kill as little challenge for myself, ACIII extends upon this and makes it better. I stalked two guards on a side road patrolling back and forth, waited for the higher rank to be in view and with his back facing me from a tree branch. I rope shotted him and jumped off the tree hanging him, his friend didn't notice at first so I ran up to him and quickly took him out with my knife.

MattDoza

FUCK THIS SEQUENCE 12 SHIT UGHHH

this fucking sucks i can't even get past the first two guards 85% of the time

Jump at them. As soon as you do, they turn grey and stumble out of the way. Once you reach the ship, it can be confusing too. A part of the ship will blow, but you'll vault through a window like opening. Go there.

This part infuriated me.

Morts

There are missions hidden in the parts of the map that aren't revealed with waypoints. You need to run around until you find them.

I hope this is the problem I'm having as I've been stuck with two recruits for a while. There's even an Assassin Contract waypoint that shows up in a bar in Boston but no one actually there to talk to, making me think the whole recruitment thing is bugged. Shame too, since that was one of my favorite parts of Brotherhood/Revelations and I can't figure it out at all in this game. I know I've completed 3/3 tasks for several sets of Liberation missions in
New York
but nothing comes of it. In fact, the
smallpox doctor told me to talk to him after bringing three patients back to his clinic, and when I did he was nowhere to be found.

Jump at them. As soon as you do, they turn grey and stumble out of the way. Once you reach the ship, it can be confusing too. A part of the ship will blow, but you'll vault through a window like opening. Go there.

This part infuriated me.

Same, that window thing got me too. Did you try to jump back on the rope you come off of as well?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've been playing for what must be 5-6 hours now, and I have never experienced such a dearth of creativity in an open world game. It seems like half the missions are literally walk to this point on the map, now walk back to another point for the next story scene.

I did the first naval sequence, and that was the first time I felt like I was actually doing something engaging. How boring must the rest of the game be if the naval mini-game is the highlight of the gameplay so far?

I thought I liked the AC series; I played 2 and Brotherhood all the way through. But now I'm just asking myself why I bought this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you're not playing with mics, don't even bother with poison. You'll just frustrate yourself.

I've been getting the focus bonuses though, which is nice.

But it's so damn annoying that low level players can't seem to get that Wolfpack is QUALITY of kills, not quanitity. Half the time they run right into the targets and then get stunned to where I have to go and clean up the two-three people that suddenly run off. Shit is mad frustrating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I hope this is the problem I'm having as I've been stuck with two recruits for a while. There's even an Assassin Contract waypoint that shows up in a bar in Boston but no one actually there to talk to, making me think the whole recruitment thing is bugged. Shame too, since that was one of my favorite parts of Brotherhood/Revelations and I can't figure it out at all in this game. I know I've completed 3/3 tasks for several sets of Liberation missions in
New York
but nothing comes of it. In fact, the
smallpox doctor told me to talk to him after bringing three patients back to his clinic, and when I did he was nowhere to be found.

You need to do more than just the initial 3/3 thing, there's usually two sets. For the doctor you need to put down 3 infected dogs, the contract waypoint becomes a bigger mission symbol when they're ready. The one in boston is hidden off the map, you'll just have to run around a little.

ultron87

Just did a "hit the brakes and they'll fly right by" on an enemy frigate. Of course by "right by" I mean "directly into a broadside".

I would seriously play a game that was just this stuff.

Just did a "hit the brakes and they'll fly right by" on an enemy frigate. Of course by "right by" I mean "directly into a broadside".

I would seriously play a game that was just this stuff.

I had a similar experience with a frigate that veered in front of me. I braced for impact on my couch because I didnt know what would happen. Luckily, I went right through it.

Also, the chain shot is glorious when it hits

Noi

You guys have no idea how tired I am of running through New York, having two random guards attack me for no reason, and then inevitably getting mobbed by the 10 guards that were in the vicinity of those two because there are too many guards in the damn cities.

Wait, some of you probably do.

nib95

Banned
Playing as Raton, where do I actually buy new weapons etc? The General Store no longer exists in Boston. Can anyone help? Got a crap tonne of money but nothing to buy lol.

MattDoza

You guys have no idea how tired I am of running through New York, having two random guards attack me for no reason, and then inevitably getting mobbed by the 10 guards that were in the vicinity of those two because there are too many guards in the damn cities.

Wait, some of you probably do.

I just avoid any guarded locations. The chase that ensues usually lasts longer than just going a longer route to where I need to be.

Beaulieu

people thinking game companies make their translations on-site are fuckin hilarious.
eps. when talking about THE franchise that has been worked on by 6 different studios.

iNvid02

well im done on PS3, will have to check again to see how long it took to playthrough, but some impressions.

PROS said:
• Looked great in general with some superb animation. The weather and seasons, increased number of npcs on screen and wildlife added to the atmosphere deeply - game could be incredible on PC.

• Something i feel I've taken for granted with the series; another entertaining story and set of characters with some fascinating dialogue - superior cut scenes to prior games helped as well. The measured start and
early twist
were quite refreshing.

• Good voice acting for the most part (Achilles and Haytham especially, and although I didn't much like Connor personality wise, i think the guy behind him did a solid job.)

• Naval battles were surprisingly awesome - they managed to execute these splendidly

• Desmond's modern day missions were fairly interesting. The conclusion to his story arc was also better than expected - see my post in the spoiler thread for more

• Modified combat system with no health regeneration was slightly more challenging, but still pretty easy. Once i got the hang of it i enjoyed it. They somehow made killing even more satisfying than before - loved the running assassinations.

CONS said:
• Unpolished and riddled with bugs - reminded me of a Bethesda game. Missing sound effects, broken lip syncing, broken missions, environment glitches, 5-10 npcs with the same face standing right next to each other and, completely vanishing characters. Not to mention it always felt as if the game was pushing the hardware way too far, frame rate dips were atrocious. Never thought i'd call an Assassins Creed game unpolished mainly due to the sheer number of people they have working on their flagship franchise, but here we are.

• Lacked vision and ended up having its fair share of useless filler shit such as lock picking, crafting and some downright dull side missions. The time spent on these should have been focused on the main mission quality and design, which was inferior to previous games.

• Orphans who begged for money had the creepiest fucking laugh ever, i was missing the Bards from previous games.

• After completion
Connor's hood is permanently left down, and you're stuck with his new haircuit
- such a stupid decision

• Story leaping forward, the elimination of some meaningful scenes, and the introduction of new characters was baffling from time to time -
Lafayette was suddenly my best friend, and Achilles has a maid now. No Haytham-Tsio breakup scene, scenes which fleshed out Achilles as a bad mofo were cut, Haytham-Connor scene about Templars vs Assassins was cut, and the ending was changed making it even more anti-climatic.

• Native voice acting was poor, especially the kids at the beginning. The" Animus translates everything to English" explanation like before would have been fine.

• Some of the controls sucked - no idea why the weapon screen had to be opened by holding down R2, and they removed the overlay as well so you needed to wait for the screen to load. Dual analog stick menu controls were unnecessary. The O button was responsible for too many actions. Changes to the aiming and lock on system sucked. Coupled with the "sticky" movement system that has been in place since 2007, all of this resulted in some truly frustrating moments.

• Lack of music whilst exploring took away from the atmosphere in a big way - it's iconic to the series at this point and I just can't believe Ubi removed it. Maybe it's because the soundtrack was not as diverse as previous games, but that's their problem. Balfe demonstrated his talent with Revelations.

• Connor was not as affable as the charismatic, charming but cunning Ezio Auditore. Young, rash, dumb, outsider jerk didn't really click with me.

SO said:
An overly ambitious game with regression of some the core parts of AC gameplay. For every new and worthwhile feature it introduced, it unnecessarily modified or removed something that worked well previously, and at the same time threw in a bit of useless stuffing. Not the finest in the series, but not the worst either. Now that the foundations have been laid down, the potential sequel has a good opportunity to advance and perfect what AC3 excels at, improve upon its shortcomings, trim the fat, and apply that much needed polish. I hope the next game lives up to Brotherhood -
France or London please.

Its worth noting that the excessive bugs and performance problems on PS3 were constantly overshadowing my experience. Fortunately these may well be corrected with a few patches, and with a bit of luck the PC version will be able to alleviate the performance woes - this alone will produce a much better experience. A second look at this game may alter my view, if only slightly.

Noi

Wow. I just played a legit fun sneaking segment in the game, it was the fort right at the exit to the frontier in New York. I even cleared the whole thing without every being spotted. The difference between this fort and every other fort in the game?

-The fort doesn't have the red "automatic level 2 notoriety" square that makes guards react to the smallest noise and makes it impossible to properly sneak.
-The fort was actually large and had multiple paths, so the guards were properly spaced out. I could actually plan out how to take the guards without having to worry about a random unmarked guard spotting me from half the base away.
-Lots of hiding spots, which meant I could actually properly hide instead of relying on finicky cover while standing still. If I was spotted, I could have actually had a chance to hide from the enemies.
-The hidden entrance to the fort is actually not as well guarded and has two easy to take out guards immediately when you enter, which automatically gives you a sense of a successful infiltration.
-The fort's captain actually has a pattern that, with proper timing, lets you take him out without leaving low profile. And he's on a horse!

This single fort gave me a glimpse of what this game tries so hard to be, and it was really fun. It's a shame that not a single segment in the rest of the game works the same way.

Was there a day 1 patch for this?

Cause i am praying the Wii U version has benefited from slightly more time in the oven bug wise. There must have been a big list of bugs before cert on these versions that they might have had time to include or fix before Nintendo certification.

Derrick01

Banned
Found another bug/oversight. I'm cleaning up the homestead missions since I finished the game and
during norris and myriam's wedding and the celebration in the inn afterwards Achilles is there enjoying himself too despite dying a long time ago

MattDoza

I rather liked Connor's haircut. But it removing the hood is a no-no. Should at least have an option to put it back on.

What was worse was, from the point I was able to wear Achilles' robe, I did.
In honor of him, after he died. The connection between him and Connor really touched me.
And in cut scenes I saw a weird black head with the hood down instead of the new haircut. It really removed me from the cutscene when I saw it.

Found another bug/oversight. I'm cleaning up the homestead missions since I finished the game and
during norris and myriam's wedding and the celebration in the inn afterwards Achilles is there enjoying himself too despite dying a long time ago

I thought you were not supposed to get the mission where you burry him till after all the homestead missions were complete...
hmmmmmmmm

Bladenic

Wow. I just played a legit fun sneaking segment in the game, it was the fort right at the exit to the frontier in New York. I even cleared the whole thing without every being spotted. The difference between this fort and every other fort in the game?

-The fort doesn't have the red "automatic level 2 notoriety" square that makes guards react to the smallest noise and makes it impossible to properly sneak.
-The fort was actually large and had multiple paths, so the guards were properly spaced out. I could actually plan out how to take the guards without having to worry about a random unmarked guard spotting me from half the base away.
-Lots of hiding spots, which meant I could actually properly hide instead of relying on finicky cover while standing still. If I was spotted, I could have actually had a chance to hide from the enemies.
-The hidden entrance to the fort is actually not as well guarded and has two easy to take out guards immediately when you enter, which automatically gives you a sense of a successful infiltration.
-The fort's captain actually has a pattern that, with proper timing, lets you take him out without leaving low profile. And he's on a horse!

This single fort gave me a glimpse of what this game tries so hard to be, and it was really fun. It's a shame that not a single segment in the rest of the game works the same way.

I get the feeling they might have wanted players to be sneaky with forts, but I just went in guns blazing and killed everything breathing my way. I couldn't do that in Brotherhood, mainly because the captains would try and escape on horseback.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
well im done on PS3, will have to check again to see how long it took to playthrough, but some impressions.

• Story leaping forward, the elimination of some meaningful scenes, and the introduction of new characters was baffling from time to time -
Lafayette was suddenly my best friend, and Achilles has a maid now. No Haytham-Tsio breakup scene, scenes which fleshed out Achilles as a bad mofo were cut and the ending was changed making it even more anti-climatic.

Whoa,
the ending was changed?! What was the original one?

Welp just finished it and thought the ending sucked but all in all the game was ok, mid 8s for me. Just glad I finished before Halo comes out tomorrow

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If Connor didn't click with Invidious, he's definitely not going to click with me.

Glad I redeemed that Ezio outfit code. I'll just pretend anyone saying "Connor" is saying "Ezio" and pretend Ezio fell into a time warp from Venice to America. ;__;

Glad I held off on this one. Yikes.

Sometimes the game apologizes for all the gamebreaking stuff and cuts you some slack, though! I was playing earlier and trying to get past some guards blocking a door so I climbed up the building to get a better view. Oddly, the interact button popped up while I was on the roof so I pushed it. Connor opens the door on the ground level from the roof and I pass the mission :)

The next mission glitched out because the guards were still there when I walked back out the door, though D:

Noi

If Connor didn't click with Invidious, he's definitely not going to click with me.

Glad I redeemed that Ezio outfit code. I'll just pretend anyone saying "Connor" is saying "Ezio" and pretend Ezio fell into a time warp from Venice to America. ;__;

You just have to get used to how jarring it is to have the bowstring clipping through the front of the outfit 100% of the time.

:(

SJRB

Gold Member

This is impossible. Somewhere around sequence 11 the game heavily implies that
Achilles dies [when Connor visits him on his supposed deathbed], but he never actually dies during the main story sequences.

That comes later.

Double D

Just finished it. Did at total of zero side missions. There was just too much shit thrown at me at any given moment and I just didn't want to deal with it and wanted to move the story forward because I've invested so much in the franchise. It was a good game, but I wouldn't call it a good Assassin's Creed game.

And yes, that goddamn chase sequence. No sense in describing it because if you've finished the game you know exactly what I'm talking about. I ended up youtubing it because the only other option was finding the person personally responsible for it and murdering them.

There was a time I cared about full synchronization, but it all fell apart in most of the missions. I found myself having a much better time completely ignoring that crap. If only it wasn't projected into my eyes every step of the way.

edit: and goddamn the credits are still rolling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting for the PC version turned out to be an even wiser decision than I originally thought. Wowza.

GolazoDan

Played a few more missions earlier now I've opened the world up a bit, only on like sequence 7 and I hear there's some annoying forced stealth around this point. Mostly been running around doing side missions though, enjoying them, even if it's just the stuff where I'm essentially looking for lines of items on the map, e.g. deliver a letter, open a chest, liberation mission, waypoint. Really appeals to my OCD.

Also growing to like Connor as a character. I don't find him boring or dickish (yet), he seems like a very stoic, serious man but a man with a good heart. Plus that really works after you've slaughtered a load of guards and saved an innocent person, they're like THANK YOU! and Connor's all *nods, leaves*.

Not had that many glitches yet either but I generally get lucky or just stumble upon a funny one like a wolf dropping out of the sky or something.

FStop7

Banned
How did they make this game so unfun and bad? How did they think it was a good idea to cram it so full of gimmicks and novelty missions? How did they get the signing date of the Declaration of Independence wrong!?

Glad I held off on this one. Yikes.

It's by no means a bad game... It's just insulting that Ubisoft thought it ready for released when there's so much bugs and unfinished stuff hidden away. They took AC2 and Brotherhood's near-perfect formula and ended up adding so much superfluous shit that it's often hard to see the more-than-decent game hidden underneath it.

I'm reminded of a review I saw of AC: Revelations a while back. It rings true for this game as well. "It adds a lot of new stuff, that isn't needed. But when it remembers to be an Assassin's Creed-game, it's amazing."

Barakov

How did they make this game so unfun and bad? How did they think it was a good idea to cram it so full of gimmicks and novelty missions? How did they get the signing date of the Declaration of Independence wrong!?

It almost seems like they went out of their way to make all the flaws that the previous AC games had, which were kinda tolerable, and made them worse. Don't even get me started on the bear/wolf/male elk QTEs. I kinda got used to the combat after awhile but it was definitely changed in the wrong way. Any good changes they made were kinda overshadowed by how buggy the game is. I've died on more than one occasion because Connor got hung up in the environment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I think this is the first AC full of novelty stuff that I actually enjoy. Some of the stuff in brotherhood and revelations was awful.

Linius

Not sure if someone already asked this but can your recruits die when you use them in the overworld? I know they come back when they 'die' in contract missions but I'm not sure about that if you use them in a mission with Connor.

Top Bottom