• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Carbonox

Not sure if someone already asked this but can your recruits die when you use them in the overworld? I know they come back when they 'die' in contract missions but I'm not sure about that if you use them in a mission with Connor.

Yeah they come back after a certain amount of time. I didn't know this at first so when they died, I restarted. :lol

Kurtofan

I don't think it's a spoiler (optional conversation with a character) but just in case when you talk to
Lafayette in a optional conversation in Washington's camp, he says to Connor "Have you ever been to France, Connor?" "Not yet".

I hope this confirms a French revolution game.

Been doin the Captain Kidd side missions for the treasure map pieces, and man are they are awesome. These sections obviously take a bit of inspiration from Uncharted, but there well done, polished, and a lot fun. A lot of breathtaking visual set pieces.

It obvious that things are a bit easier to keep polished when they move away from the open world into a more linear setting.

I'd have to say; between the Naval missions, the Kidd treasure map quests, and the homestead, this is definitely the best Assassin Creed when it comes to side missions and amount of content. Hands down.

Aside from the horrible tutorial and some of the bugs this is my most favourite Assassins Creed so far. Absolutely love the style of the fights. I mean, yes, it's most certainly as easy as it get get but I just can't bring myself to not like it because finishing a squad of enemies never looked as cool as here. :)

I don't think it's a spoiler (optional conversation with a character) but just in case when you talk to
Lafayette in a optional conversation in Washington's camp, he says to Connor "Have you ever been to France, Connor?" "Not yet".

I hope this confirms a French revolution game.

I hope so

Wix

Aside from the horrible tutorial and some of the bugs this is my most favourite Assassins Creed so far. Absolutely love the style of the fights. I mean, yes, it's most certainly as easy as it get get but I just can't bring myself to not like it because finishing a squad of enemies never looked as cool as here. :)

Agree. In Revelations I did my best to avoid fights with guards. In AC3 however, I find myself lurking on trees, waiting for a squad to pass by so I can hang them by rope dart and engage combat. It has gotten fun.

I'm considering this game, as I played AC, AC2 and ACB.

Which is the best version? PS3 og 360?

From what I have read, 360 seems to be the superior version. But don't quote me on it.

How do you level up your Assassins? I can't even send my one guy on a lvl 1 mission because he is lvl 0...

Also, the more I play this game the more I really start to like Connor. Also, the more I start to like everything else about this game. I'm really starting to enjoy it now, even tho it can get very, very frustratingly hard. Just starting up Sequence 11.

Linius

How do you level up your Assassins? I can't even send my one guy on a lvl 1 mission because he is lvl 0...

Yes you can. Just pick the first one star mission and you can send him there. To increase your chances you can send multiple recruits for the same contract.

Blu10

FUCK THIS SEQUENCE 12 SHIT UGHHH

this fucking sucks i can't even get past the first two guards 85% of the time

Just jump when you come to them. It knocks them aside and you can continue running, or if you want to not bump anyone for 100% sync use the stairs on the left to go around.

TheOddOne

Sometimes the game apologizes for all the gamebreaking stuff and cuts you some slack, though! I was playing earlier and trying to get past some guards blocking a door so I climbed up the building to get a better view. Oddly, the interact button popped up while I was on the roof so I pushed it. Connor opens the door on the ground level from the roof and I pass the mission :)

The next mission glitched out because the guards were still there when I walked back out the door, though D:
Ha, the same thing happend to me too but the guards still attacked me after leaving.

Marleyman

Banned
The more I play the more I love this game. I stalk guards just like I stalk deer or any other animal. The side missions are by far the best of the series and being a part of the American Revolution is always something I wanted to do in a video game, and this game definitely stratches that itch.

JB1981

Hanging reds from tree branches w/ the rope dart is pretty awesome. Anyone who says the combat is worse than previous games is crazy IMO (referring to AC1, AC2 here, did not play the others).

rataven

Only in sequence 2, but I'm really loving Boston. There's so much going on; feels more alive than previous cities.

And, I felt kind of bad when I stepped on a rat and it squished :(

Do it.

One of the best games this generation.

Agreed AC2 is the best in the franchise. I did enjoy Brotherhood, but didn't really enjoy Revelations; I did like it how it wrapped up Ezio and Altair's story though. So far I'm starting to enjoy AC3 story now that I am playing as young Conner.

Derrick01

Banned
The more I play the more I love this game. I stalk guards just like I stalk deer or any other animal. The side missions are by far the best of the series and being a part of the American Revolution is always something I wanted to do in a video game, and this game definitely stratches that itch.

What side missions? I don't remember there being any outside of the ship stuff.

icespide

Banned
so the other night I started sequence 8, literally just finished the first cut scene, when I turned off the game i was still in the homestead. when I turn on the game last night wtf I am already in new york, and I can't 'fast travel anywhere so I'm forced to do the next mission, turns out I have to do all the missions until basically the end of the sequence.

am I screwed on the homestead missions I missed in sequence 8?

Lima

Agreed.

Combat has never been better in an AC game.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
How do you use soldiers as body shields when youre being shot at? It showed me in the tutorial but I cant remember.

ultron87

How do you use soldiers as body shields when youre being shot at? It showed me in the tutorial but I cant remember.

When the yellow arrows show up over the guys about to shoot you hit A (I assume X on PS3) and point towards a guy you are next to. It is a little unreliable so I usually kind of just jam on the A button.

Derrick01

Banned
Captain Kidd's treasure missions
Homestead missions
Hunting Missions
Frontiersmen Missions
Brawler Missions
Assassin Recruit Missions

Pretty sad if we're counting most of those as side missions :\

The captain kidd stuff counts but those were terrible compared to the assassin tombs in the other games. The first one was really good though, the fort one.

Marleyman

Banned
Most of them aren't really side missions they're just busy work activities. It'd be like calling the item fetch quests in ME3 side missions when there are actual optional missions to play through.

Yeah, they can be that way but I don't mind calling them side missions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was just fighting about 5 redcoats in sequence 6 in Boston on the PS3. The frame rate dropped to about 5-10fps for the entire fight. After the fight, I was getting about 15-20fps just walking around.

There is something very, very wrong with the PS3 version. I think I'm going to just stop playing it and wait for the PC version.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Most of them aren't really side missions they're just busy work activities. It'd be like calling the item fetch quests in ME3 side missions when there are actual optional missions to play through.

I'm fairly surprised at how many of the mainline missions (for the first 6 hours at least) feel like menial tasks that for some reason they thought would be great gameplay (or maybe they didn't; maybe they don't care about that). It's like the worst parts of Red Dead but it's the whole game.

So far the game feels like an epic narrative with gameplay shoehorned in. They did the absolute minimum in terms of designing interesting missions, and the only "rationale" for this that I can think of is that they wanted to tell a sweeping story of Connor's life in a very particular way. A way that isn't working for me as a game.

It's like the worst parts of Red Dead but it's the whole game.

I find this interesting because while I loved the world and story in Red Dead I thought the missions and variety of missions, or lack there of, was servely it's weakest link. Was really dissapointed in the mission design in that game. Tons of races, herding animals, protecting vehicles (Loved the mine mission where you left riding on the minecart out) I wanted more dynamic stuff like that I suppose.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm fairly surprised at how many of the mainline missions (for the first 6 hours at least) feel like menial tasks that for some reason they thought would be great gameplay (or maybe they didn't; maybe they don't care about that). It's like the worst parts of Red Dead but it's the whole game.

So far the game feels like an epic narrative with gameplay shoehorned in. They did the absolute minimum in terms of designing interesting missions, and the only "rationale" for this that I can think of is that they wanted to tell a sweeping story of Connor's life in a very particular way. A way that isn't working for me as a game.

Yeah the whole game is full of bad design choices. I really wish they would trim some of the bloat out and go back to AC1's original vision, which was sort of like a more casual Hitman. That's what I wanted them to expand on and even though I did really like AC2, they keep making each game more and more bloated and things like mission design and story seem to be thrown out of the window in favor of more bloat. They really need to scrap everything about this series and go back to the drawing board next gen.

It's probably the only series I've seen that needs a 100% overhaul. In every possible category.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
It is a little unreliable so I usually kind of just jam on the A button.

Basically sums up all the controls in this game. I feel like I'm playing with my controller dipped in molasses. The game seems like it often ignores or does not register my inputs. Never had this problem with any of the previous AC games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I find this interesting because while I loved the world and story in Red Dead I thought the missions and variety of missions, or lack there of, was servely it's weakest link. Was really dissapointed in the mission design in that game. Tons of races, herding animals, protecting vehicles (Loved the mine mission where you left riding on the minecart out) I wanted more dynamic stuff like that I suppose.

It might be that I liked how RDR felt a lot more than I like how AC3 feels. I also think RDR's soundtrack wipes the floor with AC3's. That helped to make the calmer moments feel important, or at least enjoyable in an immersive sense, rather than like complete filler. I don't feel that at all in AC3, which is probably why missions where I simply have to move through the world uncontested are so boring to me.

Also, I'm only just past the first naval mission so I don't mean to make claims about the whole game, but basically I haven't had honest-to-god fun with ANYTHING so far except the ship battle. Even just steering the ship was somewhat more engaging than walking around the world. The opening of the game was pretty cool, though, just so I don't come off as uniformly negative.

It might be that I liked how RDR felt a lot more than I like how AC3 feels. I also think RDR's soundtrack wipes the floor with AC3's. That helped to make the calmer moments feel important, or at least enjoyable in an immersive sense, rather than like complete filler. I don't feel that at all in AC3, which is probably why missions where I simply have to move through the world uncontested are so boring to me.

I can totally understand. This was my thoughts my first time with Red Dead actually almost exact. I didn't even finish it. It wasn't till I decided to start over and replay it and complete it did I find my appreciation for the game and world. Not sure what clicked the second time but it did.

SJRB

Gold Member
The whole game's main story is basically a sightseeing tour through the birth of the United States, with the protagonist being shoehorned into every situation for no reason other than to show the player that particular event, happening, location or historical figure.

If you think back to the missions, why they happened and what Connor's train of thought must have been the entire plot devaluates to a series of semi-random events.

The way the game loosely jumps through time at its own leasure, sometimes making jumps as much as months in between missions for no reason other than to link the previous happening to the next is quite annoying and destroys any kind of cohesive narrative. The entire story feels fragmented to hell, and the trillion loading screens and awkward cutscene cuts during any given mission only strengthen that effect.

rvy

Banned
What kind of poorly designed shit is that chase sequence in chapter 8? That guy's just running the same route over and over again..

Yeah, you're supposed to cut him off, not chase him. Ubi just do a piss poor job of explaining things to you.
Some patch news would be nice, what they want to address and stuff. Seems like they're focusing on the WiiU version and DLC though.

ultron87

(Mid Sequence 8) Dude, Connor:
when you are in the same room as high ranking Templars (specifically Charles Lee) just fucking stab them. It doesn't matter if you're in the middle of the Continental Congress.

Yves Guillemot stated, "Following on from the steady advances we have made over the last
24 months, the Company expects to achieve a record second-half performance. First-week
sell-through sales for Assassin's Creed 3 are estimated at over 3.5 million units, representing
a year-on-year increase of more than 100%"

Bomba.

Top Bottom