• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Carbonox

Beat the game - Kinda disappointed by the underplayed
death of Haytham given the banter he and Connor shared on their missions
. Also, the ending...
obviously sets up the next games

Off to do achievement hunting but I very much doubt I will go for platinum. Some of these requirements are fucking ridiculous.

Mesoian

I finished all the privateering. Now I'm sad. I want a game that's just all that.

Saint's Row 3 + AC3: naval ships = Sid Meyer's Pirates 3.

ultron87

So any money-making tips? Would like to upgrade some shit on my Aquila

Acquire beaver pelt and then put them on convoys. They are super easy to hunt near rivers or you can just buy them from the stockpile for a lower profit.

Are there sea convoys you can get at some point? I'd assume I'm clearing all these shipping lanes for something.

Kiraly

Acquire beaver pelt and then put them on convoys. They are super easy to hunt near rivers or you can just buy them from the stockpile for a lower profit.

Thanks. Is there a place where I can hunt bears? I need to hunt some to be able to make naval convoys.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
The whole game's main story is basically a sightseeing tour through the birth of the United States, with the protagonist being shoehorned into every situation for no reason other than to show the player that particular event, happening, location or historical figure.

If you think back to the missions, why they happened and what Connor's train of thought must have been the entire plot devaluates to a series of semi-random events.

The way the game loosely jumps through time at its own leasure, sometimes making jumps as much as months in between missions for no reason other than to link the previous happening to the next is quite annoying and destroys any kind of cohesive narrative. The entire story feels fragmented to hell, and the trillion loading screens and awkward cutscene cuts during any given mission only strengthen that effect.

Yeah, that's one of the key problems for what passes as the game's narrative. Connor is the Zelig of the American Revolution. Some bizarre omissions though - no Crossing of the Delaware with Washington? That would have been perfect for the themes of this game.

Carbonox

Speaking of beavers, they're the only animal in the game I feel bad about killing. They're so slow and they let out this horrible wail when you stab them. :(

It is the beaver's fault for having their pelts be made out of money.
My wife gets really sad when I run through the woods slaughtering them. I swear there was one spot in the north west area of the map where there were 50 of them ambling around peacefully. It was a genocide.

Carbonox

My wife gets really sad when I run through the woods slaughtering them. I swear there was one spot in the north west area of the map where there were 50 of them ambling around peacefully. It was a genocide.

Can you lay trip mines for animals? I've never tried and I'd find it rather funny watching a load fly all over the place from a mine. :lol

Petrichor

For those who have completed the game:
why on earth does conor keep fighting for washington after he finds out that he killed his mother and destroyed his village? And what does he have against lee? I'm sure I must have just missed a piece of dialogue and this isn't a humongous plot hole.

SJRB

Gold Member
why on earth does conor keep fighting for washington after he finds out that he killed his mother and destroyed his village? And what does he have against lee? I'm sure I must have just missed a piece of dialogue and this isn't a humongous plot hole.

Exactly. I was wondering about this very same thing earlier today.

As far as I can tell the only reason he spared Washington is because of his significance to the patriot army. And the only reason he still kept chasing Charles Lee is because he is now the leader of the Templars. I guess.

Which reminds me - why are the Patriots/bluecoats suddenly my enemy in the endgame? I can understand that we need an enemy to fight but it's pretty silly to liberate a fort from redcoats, hoist the US flag and immediately be surrounded by hostile bluecoats.

Infiltrating the fort shows how weird the AI is. And I cannot believe they still have the "random NPC climbs trees and jumps rooftops like a pro when he's looking for you". So random, how hard can it be to limit some parameters to "ground and/or ladders only".

So about that.

So I was under the impression George Washington at some point got the idea that the natives were helping the opposing force, thus giving the order he did. After the scene where you end up killing your brother, it just felt like people are playing sides against each other and I felt that somewhere along the lines the same thing happened with George Washington in a way.
Maybe that's not it 100% but the thought that went through my head during all that talk and reveal. I could be way off though.

panda21

i was really enjoying the game until it got into actual missions. it seems to want me to be all stealthy and shit without really giving me the tools to do it or explaining what is going on.

like there was a 'restricted area' i had to enter, and it didn't tell me that was what I was doing, or what the brown square on my map was until i walked into it and was immediately spotted by two guards and triggered an alarm.

also some of it makes no sense. i can blast a guy with my blunderbuss and even the guy standing next to him won't take any notice, but if i stab him in the back suddenly the whole room is alerted.

hopefully this is just because its the first time i am encountering these things and it will make more sense once i figure out the rules, but for now its just confusing and annoying, forcing me to go into everything blind and then telling me off for not doing it right.

Noi

hopefully this is just because its the first time i am encountering these things and it will make more sense once i figure out the rules, but for now its just confusing and annoying, forcing me to go into everything blind and then telling me off for not doing it right.

You might as well get used to it now.

Kurtofan

Lee was the one who burned the village and killed the mother, we saw him right at the beginning when he threatens kid Connor.Washington ordered to the village, he didn't do it himself.

Kiraly

Lee was the one who burned the village and killed the mother, we saw him right at the beginning when he threatens kid Connor.Washington ordered to the village, he didn't do it himself.

Yeah but why the fuck would you still carry out orders or help the man that ordered your village to be burnt. I had hoped Connor would stab him on the spot in some bizarre History-twist

SJRB

Gold Member

We never see that happening.

It is heavily implied by the game because Connor runs into him in the forest right before it happens, but as Haytham says later on he gave no such order to Charles Lee.

The plot twist is that Connor has been hunting his entire life for Charles Lee when in fact Washington is responsible, which is also ironic since Connor risked his life multiple times to save Washington's. This also explains why Charles Lee is constantly surprised as to why Connor keeps showing up, and also doesn't understand why Connor wants him dead. He may become a templar through Haytham, but his hands are clean as far is the village burning is concerned.

It's just that the game presents this "twist" in such a clumbsy way that you can't help but shrug it off and scratch your head as to what the hell is going on.

ultron87

it was an Amazon preorder bonus. Don't know of any way to unlock it without the bonus code though.

That one isn't actually that uniform though.

The Amazon one is this:

AC3_Render_SP_13_ULC_CaptainOfTheAquilaOutfit-212x300.jpg

The normal one is darker and less frilly. And significantly cooler looking, in my opinion.

End of Sequence 11 question:

What's the significance of them noting that Haytham doesn't have the amulet, and there "Must be more to this story." Obviously he just gave it to somebody else, Probably Lee.

Thanks. Is there a place where I can hunt bears? I need to hunt some to be able to make naval convoys.

I completed the hunting map the other day. Off the top of my head I think there are only two hunting regions where they spawn in the frontier. There's a waterfall in the north east area of the frontier where you can slaughter them left and right. Also, for beavers, the regions north and south of the fort on the far north west side of the map are teeming with beavers. It's easy to slaughter like 20 or so in a few minutes.

And yes I feel horrible killing them. They sound so sad when you kill them.

rvy

Banned
Xbox 360 version

The Oak Island side-quest: :
  • Bugged QTEs for the wolf attack. The inputs aren't recognized and you always fail the QTE, regardless of your controller inputs;

General bugs:
  • There's heavy clipping when the player character uses the new rope-slashing mechanic to get to higher ground;
  • There's also heavy clipping in Desmond's character, the cause for the problem seems to be a hunch on the model's back;
  • Horses warp position when they get stuck in objects, mainly in forest zones where there's a lot of rocks and trees;
  • Color schemes for the assassin outfit are not visible on cutscenes;
  • Enemy weapons get suck on air when they're killed;
  • Connor sometimes gets stuck facing the opposite direction of the character he's interacting with during cutscenes;
  • There's a soldier in Sequence 3 - "Execution is Everything" who will sometimes get suck in a patrol route near the tactical map's location;

General improvements:
  • There should be an option to have stalking zones and wall cover be triggered by player inputs instead of being automatic, pressing a button to crouch or hide is more user-friendly than being forced into a couching/hiding position by the game itself;
  • There should be an option to dodge animal attacks during normal gameplay instead of going into a QTE. This was showcased in the E3 Frontier gameplay, when Connor is attacked by wolves and dodges them on the fly;
  • Framerate performance is pretty bad on consoles, plenty of framerate drops on cities;
  • The ability to put the hood back on Connor when he's using the assassin outfit after completing the game would be a welcomed addition:

img_01501agf26.jpg

So I posted this in their official forum in the bugs thread, hopefully they read feedback.

Bladenic

I find it distracting how everyone acts like Lucy never existed. WTF?

Pretty sure
Desmond is referring to her when you first leave the animus during his tirade against his dad. Also I read she was mentioned in Revelations.
She was offed two games ago after all.

Edit: you forgot to mention the fact that Connor's bow string runs through his body. Really though, the clipping is beyond atrocious, especially during Desmond parts. I initiated a convo with Sean and I stood close to him, his shoulder was completely inside Desmond's body lol.

I find it distracting how everyone acts like Lucy never existed. WTF?

I'm assuming you played ACB and Revelations right? (Lost Archive DLC has a
massive info dump about Lucy and pretty much closes the door on her story
)

Also in AC3
Lucy is talked about in some of the conversations you have with Desmond's dad and Rebecca. I think the one with Rebecca is optional though (you have to initiate it with her)

Kiraly

Pretty sure
Desmond is referring to her when you first leave the animus during his tirade against his dad. Also I read she was mentioned in Revelations.
She was offed two games ago after all.

There was a big revelation (yes) about her the previous game, and I maybe heard her name once or twice in AC3.

Story went so fucking downhill in this game it is unbelievable

SJRB

Gold Member
Here's a tip that blew my mind: you don't need to collect all pivots to be able to activate them. For some absurd reason the pivot activation menu is hidden in the options menu of the pause menu, whereas everything else regarding pivots is a submenu of the map. Makes little sense.

But anyway, by some absurd struck of luck I only have the Tao Pivot which was exactly the one I wanted. So I switch to wintertime, run through the trees, hear a drum in the distance, move towards it and arrive just in time to see the patrol get attacked by a bobcat. They take it down, and while they are still recovering I jump to a branch above them, target the biggest guy in the group and string him up with my rope dart.
Before the rest even knew what was going on I was slicing through them with my tomahawk, all amidst a winter blizzard while dark red blood fell on the white snow.

See, this little moment right here? That was the coolest thing I've done so far in the entire game. THIS is why I bought this game. This is awesome.

Edit: god damnit I thought those were real patchnotes a few posts above mine. My heart skipped a beat at the "return the hood". Fuck.

Kiraly

Here's a tip that blew my mind: you don't need to collect all pivots to be able to activate them. For some absurd reason the pivot activation menu is hidden in the options menu of the pause menu, whereas everything else regarding pivots is a submenu of the map. Makes little sense.

But anyway, by some absurd struck of luck I only have the Tao Pivot which was exactly the one I wanted. So I switch to wintertime, run through the trees, hear a drum in the distance, move towards it and arrive just in time to see the patrol get attacked by a bobcat. They take it down, and while they are still recovering I jump to a branch above them, target the biggest guy in the group and string him up with my rope dart.
Before the rest even knew what was going on I was slicing through them with my tomahawk, all amidst a winter blizzard while dark red blood fell on the white snow.

See, this little moment right here? That was the coolest thing I've done so far in the entire game. THIS is why I bought this game. This is awesome.

I hope you enjoyed that at 10fps.

jett

D-Member
I didn't play Lost Archive DLC (i have to play DLC to actually find out what's the deal with a major character?), I won't read the AC3 spoilers as I am still relatively early in the game, but it's just nonsense that everyone's joking around with stupid ass emails when Desmond's murder of her is completely ignored. The Desmond-side story of the series is just a disaster.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
That one isn't actually that uniform though.

The Amazon one is this:

AC3_Render_SP_13_ULC_CaptainOfTheAquilaOutfit-212x300.jpg

The normal one is darker and less frilly. And significantly cooler looking, in my opinion.

Thanks, didn't realize. I actually like the silver accenting on the Amazon outfit much better than the standard. Sucks that the game doesn't have anything like Ezio's cool armors.

Bladenic

I haven't heard Lucy mentioned in the optional convos yet and I finished sequence 8. Maybe I just missed some, I don't think I talked to Rebecca more than once the first time, but I did talk to Desmond's dad a lot. Oh well, I mean her story was wrapped up in Revelations so there's not reason for her to get mentioned. Wonder how her character would have been handled had Kristen Bell stuck with the series.

Edit: you forgot to mention the fact that Connor's bow string runs through his body. Really though, the clipping is beyond atrocious, especially during Desmond parts. I initiated a convo with Sean and I stood close to him, his shoulder was completely inside Desmond's body lol.

Yes the Desmond back hump thing is really stupid. And Connor's bow string going right through him made me shake my head. Its either flawed character design or flawed execution. With Ezio they put a ton of care into his design and he had moving cloth and all but didn't have any of the clipping issues that Desmond or Connor have in AC3. In fact his cape will even drape over his arm sometimes and if you stand still long enough, Ezio will throw the cape back behind his arm again.

SJRB

Gold Member
I didn't play Lost Archive DLC (i have to play DLC to actually find out what's the deal with a major character?), I won't read the AC3 spoilers as I am still relatively early in the game, but it's just nonsense that everyone's joking around with stupid ass emails when Desmond's murder of her is completely ignored. The Desmond-side story of the series is just a disaster.

I agree. We will discuss the Desmond storyline once you finish the game. Don't get your hopes up is all I'm saying.

I agree that's its complete bullshit that Lost Archive was DLC. It was the key Revelation out of the whole friggen game. The rest of the game doesn't reveal much.

Bladenic

Have you finished Sequence 3 yet?

rvy

Banned

Jett is right. It's complete bullshit that you need to buy DLC in order to find out what happens to a major character.

Well, in that DLC for Revelations, you find out that
Lucy was a templar. She had turned on the assassins and was working with Vidic. Desmond's escape from Abstergo was all orchestrated to keep him on track, while Lucy was reporting those findings back to them.
In that context, it makes more sense that there aren't any tears being shed. I do agree that it was bullshit for them to put that story in DLC...really bad DLC at that.

Speaking of beavers, they're the only animal in the game I feel bad about killing. They're so slow and they let out this horrible wail when you stab them. :(

Today I killed a deer mother, jumping out of a tree with my tomahawk, while it was browsing with his deer child. The deer child ran away while I skinned his mother.

:(

Top Bottom