• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489844&highlight=

fmfAr.gif

You know how bad this hurts, bro... I'm hurting so much.

Who'd they get to write Connor and Ezio's tales? Cause that's actually really good. I want him writing Desmond's story.

And if it's the same guy, treat him for like... writer bipolar disorder or some shit.

I'll probably finish the game on Saturday. Do not fuck this up for me, Ubi. I have now bought five of these games, on Day 1, at full price. You do not get to screw me over at the end here.

Can't tell if this is a disappointing year for gaming or the majority of people are becoming jaded this generation. Probably a bit of both.

(source: average reviews of games this year compared to previous years)

Derrick01

Banned
Can't tell if this is a disappointing year for gaming or the majority of people are becoming jaded this generation. Probably a bit of both.

(source: average reviews of games this year compared to previous years)

It's definitely this year. After 2011 I thought it'd be hard to come out with a worse year but this one pulled it off. I haven't played so many disappointing games in one year ever. I'm nervous for far cry 3.

Bladenic

The second I stopped giving a fuck about optional objectives, the game became a hundred times better.

QCPN0.gif

Connor's story has been legitimately interesting, I think. It's a pretty big epic tale when factoring in all the side stuff and putting it between the main narrative to create a big cohesive tale.

But Desmond's is disappointing me. Up till now, it was okay, but this last level is genuinely annoying me. I'm not a professional writer or anything, but that is incredibly unsatisfying, and that's coming from a guy who actually loves the crazy shit in this game. Whoever wrote this as part of the story sucks. At least when it's crazy, it's entertaining and the characters are decent. The latest Desmond one (that I referred to in my previous post) is just really, really disappointing. Especially after all the build up. Fuck.

Spoilers for Desmond mission around Sequence 11:

You build up Cross for an entire graphic novel, since AC2, and across this game in the Desmond levels and conversations with everyone else, and you end it with him going crazy and just standing there after a little chase and getting stabbed!? FUCK YOU. There was tons of potential here, from character and narrative perspectives. And then Vidic, you just easily off him with the Apple? Nothing? No grand Templar speech? No final conversations with either Cross or Vidic? What the fuck, Desmond deserves to have those. Massively unsatisfying. While it was badass to run through Abstergo with a hidden blade and a combat knife, from the narrative, that was just... shit. And it really makes me depressed because I was actually really excited to see a Cross/Miles showdown and I actually love the AC fiction.

Thinking back, this isn't the first time Ubi has squandered character/narrative. In ACR.
Subject 16 is barely in the game and then gets erased/deleted without more Desmond interaction. That pissed me off, and they left all the huge revelations about Lucy and 16 in DLC. Which was retarded. That's three great characters that whoever wrote this game fucked up and ruined the potential: Cross, Clay, and Lucy.

AHHHH I almost stopped reading because of the Supernatural gif <3333333

But yes everything you said was true. They absolutely ruined the characters they set up and the whole payoff is underwhelming to say the least.

Also to the above, this year is definitely the year of disappointing sequels, or more accurately, disappointing trilogy endings.

Edit: Just read that Edge article. SOOO MANY LIES, holy shit. I remember reading that and being so hyped. Ubisoft shot me through the heart

QCPN0.gif

Dawg

Story spoiler:

Why did Haytham chose to keep defending Charles Lee? He knew Charles murdered Connor's mother (and burned the village), something he did not order him to do. When Connor told him this, you could clearly see his face go "Charles did...WHAT?". Also, too little is explained about Haytham's past, why did he change from the assassins to the templars? What made him do it? What happened to his father?

I just don't understand Haytham's motives. At times, he seems to be a genuine dude, caring about people (like when he met Connor's mother) and then he suddenly changes and kills people without reason and stuff. He even killed someone who betrayed the templar order, but when Charles Lee murders innocent people without reason, he doesn't give a damn?

So wait. I'm in New England running around during the summer doing small missions and the moment I do a main mission, we're in December throwing tea off of ships. Why couldn't it be more consistent?

emag

Story spoiler:

Charles murdered Connor's mother (and burned the village)

Did he? Or did Connor (and the player) misinterpret what really went down?

Geoge Washington is the one who'd been killing the natives and burning their villages. That said, Ubisoft could have done a better job stitching together the narrative.

Ambitious

I'm pissed. One of the thieves' challenges is to catch a courier. I rode around the city for half an hour until I finally found one. Accidentally killed him, searched again for half an hour. Connor kept climbing up a wall instead of running, so the courier fled. Another 30 minutes. Connor switched from fists to the hidden blade by himself when some guards appeared - I didn't notice it and killed the courier again. 30 minutes. I managed to knock him out and search him for loot, and nothing happened. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

Nori Chan

I'm pissed. One of the thieves' challenges is to catch a courier. I rode around the city for half an hour until I finally found one. Accidentally killed him, searched again for half an hour. Connor kept climbing up a wall instead of running, so the courier fled. Another 30 minutes. Connor switched from fists to the hidden blade by himself when some guards appeared - I didn't notice it and killed the courier again. 30 minutes. I managed to knock him out and search him for loot, and nothing happened. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

Lol. I accidentally killed him too cause I had no idea what the fuck to do with him.

Also where can I get the thief challenges? I have yet to find them

Lima

You are supposed to tackle him with B/O. It doesn't matter if you have a weapon equipped then.

Just was looking at some stats from giantbomb and found this interesting:

48.62% of GB users who played AC1 completed it
64.25% of GB users who played AC2 completed it
73.44% of GB users who played ACB completed it
61.00% of GB users who played ACR completed it
16.67% of GB users who played AC3 completed it

Obviously its early, I'm sure that AC3 percentage will go up. Interesting that ACB was the one that people finished the most, thats actually a *really* high completion percentage.

ACB is the only one I haven't finished. I need to get around to that, but I remember the framerate on PS3 being atrocious.

Also, the ACIII ad came on TV just as I opened this thread. D:

SJRB

Gold Member
Post-game, how do I change seasons?

You need the Tau pivot, and activate it from the options menu.

Did he? Or did Connor (and the player) misinterpret what really went down?

Geoge Washington is the one who'd been killing the natives and burning their villages. That said, Ubisoft could have done a better job stitching together the narrative.

You sir, are correct.
Connor has been chasing the wrong man his entire life, and saving the life of the man responsible for destroying his life
. Ironic, isn't it.

Carbonox

I now only have 6 trophies left for the platinum, though these ones are the most tedious and annoying of them all.

Regarding that Encyclopedia trophy, does it bug for everyone or is there a way to ensure it doesn't bug out so I get the trophy to unlock? I heard it causes problems.

why does this game feel so much more difficult than the past games? i've lost count of the times i've failed a mission in the first fucking 5 seconds. it's ridiculous. and i'm pretty sure i'm not completely shit as a gamer.. i shouldn't be this helpless goddamnit.

some of these stealth sections and chases just feel impossible to beat on the first 1-3 tries. so frustrating :I

also is there a way to disable just the optional objectives from the HUD? i always fail them so they just piss me off. they are nothing but a distraction, among all the other information overload shit that pops up constantly.

i still enjoy the game a lot though, but man some of the overall design is baffling...

Carbonox

Worst thing about post-game roaming is that I can't put my hood back up. Fuck sake. Oh well, with the New York color pallet, he looks badass.

Lima

I now only have 6 trophies left for the platinum, though these ones are the most tedious and annoying of them all.

Regarding that Encyclopedia trophy, does it bug for everyone or is there a way to ensure it doesn't bug out so I get the trophy to unlock? I heard it causes problems.

Nope it doesn't bug for everyone. Best thing you can do is leave that for the last thing to do in the game and make a backup of your save before you start filling it up.

Carbonox

Finish the homestead missions and you get a very similar outfit that does have the hood up.

Yeah I have that already but I'm not the biggest fan of its color pallet. Unless you can edit it in a shop? Would have been nice to edit the colors of the alternate outfits.

Nope it doesn't bug for everyone. Best thing you can do is leave that for the last thing to do in the game and make a backup of your save before you start filling it up.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that. Hopefully we hear bug patch news soon.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How is the performance on consoles? I've been waiting to see if i should either buy the PC or Wii U version, and since the Wii U version apparently run as good as the 360/PS3 versions... might as well ask.

Yes, i know the PC version is going to be the better looking one, but i still want to know how is the performance on consoles. If its terrible, below 30 FPS performance, i wont bother with the Wii U version.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. I accidentally killed him too cause I had no idea what the fuck to do with him.

Also where can I get the thief challenges? I have yet to find them

Pick pocket people until a creepy kid comes up and talks to you.

Tiu Neo

How is the performance on consoles? I've been waiting to see if i should either buy the PC or Wii U version, and since the Wii U version apparently run as good as the 360/PS3 versions... might as well ask.

Yes, i know the PC version is going to be the better looking one, but i still want to know how is the performance on consoles. If its terrible, below 30 FPS performance, i wont bother with the Wii U version.

A lot of people are having issues with FPS. I had a few drops bellow 30, but nothing THAT bad. Some people say they have drops to about 5 FPS, it's kind of a lotery. Better get the PC version.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
A lot of people are having issues with FPS. I had a few drops bellow 30, but nothing THAT bad. Some people say they have drops to about 5 FPS, it's kind of a lotery. Better get the PC version.

This usually happens when you are chasing after an almanac in the cities.

Carbonox

This usually happens when you are chasing after an almanac in the cities.

I've had Almanacs completely disappear from the screen but you can tell they're still flying away if you have your marker on it from the map. Quite funny chasing after something that's not on the screen.

BFIB

I was planning on starting the Assassins Creed games after I finish my Halo playthrough, but reading over the past few pages, it seems like this game is kind of a letdown.

Really bummed, because I love the history aspects that seem tied to these games.

gazele

Banned
Ugh, just want to also say sequence 8 is really annoying. I'm sure there were some good parts of it, but the chase sequence and other poorly made missions overshadow that completely.

At this point I'm mostly playing this to see the ending, which I have very low expectations for, so maybe it will exceed them? Who knows, lol

vladdamad

I was planning on starting the Assassins Creed games after I finish my Halo playthrough, but reading over the past few pages, it seems like this game is kind of a letdown.

Really bummed, because I love the history aspects that seem tied to these games.

If you haven't played any of them, play through the Ezio trilogy (2, brotherhood and revelations). Assassin's Creed 2 is one of my favourite games this gen, and brotherhood perfects the gameplay. Revelations has a magnificent ending.

rataven

Wolfpack is surprisingly fun with friends, even when they don't quite get the sync kill condition, lol

If you haven't played any of them, play through the Ezio trilogy (2, brotherhood and revelations). Assassin's Creed 2 is one of my favourite games this gen, and brotherhood perfects the gameplay. Revelations has a magnificent ending.

Definitely second this advice! Ezio's trilogy is pretty special stuff.

Nitpicking.
Hardly. I could have been running around in a frozen, wintery Boston and surrounding forests and had it feel like December when approaching the timeline of a main mission. But after that mission, it fast forwards six months. I thought I'd be playing in all kinds of weather? If it's not controlled dynamically or contextually, then.....???

Or is it always lush and summery until I do a main mission and only then will seasons change?

Hardly. I could have been running around in a frozen, wintery Boston and surrounding forests and had it feel like December when approaching the timeline of a main mission. But after that mission, it fast forwards six months. I thought I'd be playing in all kinds of weather? If it's not controlled dynamically or contextually, then.....???

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the other AC games jump spans of weeks/months at a time as well? So maybe we could be just a bit appreciative they even bothered to include winter in the game at all? Just saying.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the other AC games jump spans of weeks/months at a time as well? So maybe we could be just a bit appreciative they even bothered to include winter in the game at all? Just saying.

Right, but I'm from Connecticut and love the change of seasons. I just would have liked the ability to free roam in various seasons.

Top Bottom