• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

So wait. I'm in New England running around during the summer doing small missions and the moment I do a main mission, we're in December throwing tea off of ships. Why couldn't it be more consistent?

I noticed it too. Didn't mention it in my review because I thought there were other bigger issues, but yes its something that didn't happen (at least not often) in previous AC games and happened quite a bit here. Not just seasonal differences, but day/night differences. I believe previous AC games would vary whether the time of day was dynamic or static but it was usually consistent between just before you hit an objective and during a cutscene.

Noi

When previous ACs did a time skip, they did so and then let you wander around to do whatever, not do the time skip the moment you start one of the main sequences.

Bladenic

When previous ACs did a time skip, they did so and then let you wander around to do whatever, not do the time skip the moment you start one of the main sequences.

Yep. It was very confusing and hard to follow. Just one of the many "one step forward, two back" areas of the game.

I noticed it too. Didn't mention it in my review because I thought there were other bigger issues, but yes its something that didn't happen (at least not often) in previous AC games and happened quite a bit here. Not just seasonal differences, but day/night differences. I believe previous AC games would vary whether the time of day was dynamic or static but it was usually consistent between just before you hit an objective and during a cutscene.

Exactly. The previous missions should have brought us to winter so the change wouldn't be so sudden.

Noi

I'm sitting idle in boston waiting for my naval convoy's timer to run out and deliver stuff so I can buy the remaining weapons to finish up my 100%. There is nothing else for me to do because I've done everything else and the Encyclopedia quest bugged out on me.

GOTY

Edit: Oh, it wasn't enough money. Time to wait another 32 minutes. Wonderful.

Well that was annoying....but it's done.
ac3_100.jpg

And btw, the unlockable Altair's Robes look SO bad. Super low res. They re-textured his shoulder pad where he keeps the throwing knives with some cloth texture. Also they have this horribad looking shader for the leather that looks like it was made with glitter. And worst of all the skirt doesn't use any of the games cloth physics and its just skinned to the legs of the character rig. It looks really bad when running.

I seriously wonder if Ubi had interns work on some of these assets and textures. I wonder if a lot of their talent just went over and worked on Far Cry.

And btw, the unlockable Altair's Robes look SO bad. Super low res. They re-textured his shoulder pad where he keeps the throwing knives with some cloth texture. Also they have this horribad looking shader for the leather that looks like it was made with glitter. And worst of all the skirt doesn't use any of the games cloth physics and its just skinned to the legs of the character rig. It looks really bad when running.

I seriously wonder if Ubi had interns work on some of these assets and textures. I wonder if a lot of their talent just went over and worked on Far Cry.

Speaking of shaders, you also remind me of another small issue. Connor's outfit stays wet for like only 2 seconds after you get out of water (not sure if its different with Altair/Ezio outfits). With Ezio in previous games his outfit would be wet for a good minute or two which was a really neat effect.

Noi

That was the first thing that came to mind. SO SHINY. SO MUCH GLITTER.

8170286383_6b6f385c6b_z.jpg

I still use it because the hoodless robes blow and I'm tired of looking at Ezio's robes for the whole game.

Balphon

Hats [or should I say 'hoods'] off to you, good sir. I can't even imagine how frustrating this must have been, it requires inhuman amounts of patience.

The main mission optional objectives are all pretty easy. A few of the side naval mission ones are annoying as hell, though.

Bladenic

That was the first thing that came to mind. SO SHINY. SO MUCH GLITTER.

8170286383_6b6f385c6b_z.jpg

I still use it because the hoodless robes blow and I'm tired of looking at Ezio's robes for the whole game.

Did Connor eat an entire cow just now? Looks fat in that pic/outfit lmao.

God, I cannot wait to pick this up on launch for the Wii U. : )
Anyone else getting the Wii U version?
Have there even been any ads for the version? :/

conman

And it isn't just the jarring time jumps. I've also seen bizarre switches in things like horse colors and NPC types in back-to-back cutscenes. Very jarring. It's like they didn't put the proper constraints on the random elements (character models) or dynamic environment stuff (weather, time of day). In some ways, this stuff bothers me more than the bugs... except for the frequent AI hitches that break missions. Some of these bugs are straight out of the Bethesda rulebook.

Bladenic said:
Yep. It was very confusing and hard to follow. Just one of the many "one step forward, two back" areas of the game.
Pretty much the mantra for the game so far. Tossing out and rebuilding the fundamentals (movement, combat, stealth, etc) means that they took out much of what worked in the earlier games.

Lots of babies sitting in pools of bathwater in the streets of Boston. ;)

Right, but I'm from Connecticut and love the change of seasons. I just would have liked the ability to free roam in various seasons.

What? You can free-roam in the seasons and at the end of the game change the season yourself. It's a game about a simulation, they can get away with this stuff...

This games got a lot of nitty-pickers... you'd think the AC series has been flawless, bugless masterpieces up to this point. It's an open world game, it's going to be a mess. AC3 wins for having 100% VSync -- you don't remember how unbelievably annoying that was. I'll take the drop in framerate all day - erryday.

It's one of the biggest problems with the game's story. It jumps months and years like it's nothing and all of a sudden you're thrown into some event like you should have seen it coming 2 hours ago.

Assassins...creed...? They set it up in the games story rules. It's a simulation made to see key-moments in a persons life.

Noi

God, I'm going through the customization options in Multiplayer, and it's all feels so god damn monetized. "Here, you can either unlock this specific color of war paint by reaching Level 746 AND spending 74000000 credits you earn in-game, or you can pay us $5 more to buy it with a special kind of credits!"

This may as well be a F2P extra mode with all this stuff that you could download without the SP. It's ridiculous.

What? You can free-roam in the seasons and at the end of the game change the season yourself. It's a game about a simulation, they can get away with this stuff...

This games got a lot of nitty-pickers... you'd think the AC series has been flawless, bugless masterpieces up to this point. It's an open world game, it's going to be a mess. AC3 wins for having 100% VSync -- you don't remember how unbelievably annoying that was. I'll take the drop in framerate all day - erryday.

This game takes things that have worked PERFECTLY since ACII and breaks them for absolutely no reason. Yes I'm going to complain about it. There's more to the complaints than the usual open world jank most games have.

Ambitious

I'm finally in sequence 11. One question:
William Miles told me I could choose to plug in the energy source first or go straight back into the Animus. What are the consequences of both options?

This game takes things that have worked PERFECTLY since ACII and breaks them for absolutely no reason. Yes I'm going to complain about it. There's more to the complaints than the usual open world jank most games have.
Really? The only one that bothers me is the stealth is utter bullshit and makes me rage. But sweet god the stealth was bad in all of them.

Do you mean like the economy and city scapes?

For me, Connor is my favorite assassins; best costume design, animation sets, voice actor, story. The combat is my favorite in the series; the amount of counters you can do, running assassinations, bow and arrow. The graphics have been the most enjoyable; insane amount of character activities on screen at once, the frontier makes me wet like a pony and the character models are fan-fuckintastic. The assassins story is my favorite; I actually follow it, understand the events of the time and love the characters (for a game villian Charles Lee is pretty well done). The desmond scenarios were actually interesting; minus the ending clafuffle, but I actually didn't mind it. The assassins guild was more enjoyable; being able to access the map anytime, the different assassin abilities you can use, each assassin having a personality.

But it's not ALL happy kisses and fun. I detested the stealth, felt the hunting is fairly shallow, some of the story sequences were odd, the optional objectives are made by satan, not being able to use assassins in the frontier and the bugs are a goddam disaster.

Let me say my favorite AC games to give it context: AC3 > AC2 > AC1 > ACB > Turkey Assassins > Facebook Assassins Creed Game > Revelations

So has anyone had a problem with the mail mission in Boston? It keeps showing up on map, I go there and accept it but the game never updates me on it and once I leave the area it resets and the icon for the mission appears again.

Noi

Really? The only one that bothers me is the stealth is utter bullshit and makes me rage. But sweet god the stealth was bad in all of them.

Do you mean like the economy and city scapes?

For me, Connor is my favorite assassins; best costume design, animation sets, voice actor, story. The combat is my favorite in the series; the amount of counters you can do, running assassinations, bow and arrow. The graphics have been the most enjoyable; insane amount of character activities on screen at once, the frontier makes me wet like a pony and the character models are fan-fuckintastic. The assassins story is my favorite; I actually follow it, understand the events of the time and love the characters (for a game villian Charles Lee is pretty well done). The desmond scenarios were actually interesting; minus the ending clafuffle, but I actually didn't mind it. The assassins guild was more enjoyable; being able to access the map anytime, the different assassin abilities you can use, each assassin having a personality.

But it's not ALL happy kisses and fun. I detested the stealth, felt the hunting is fairly shallow, some of the story sequences were odd, the optional objectives are made by satan, not being able to use assassins in the frontier and the bugs are a goddam disaster.

Let me say my favorite AC games to give it context: AC3 > AC2 > AC1 > ACB > Turkey Assassins > Facebook Assassins Creed Game > Revelations

No, I mean incredibly basic stuff like the radial menu, Viewpoints, Fast Travel, the unnecessary amount of guards on screen at one time, the context for actually doing the side-stuff, the rewards for said side-content being absolute garbage, over-simplifying the controls to have just one context sensitive button do everything, not being able to go into eagle vision unless you're standing still and weapon selection, in addition to making money 90% pointless and changing the way you make money.

You know what's worse than getting all the feathers in this game? Finding out the reward is the outfit Connor wore as a teen, one that HE NEVER GOT RID OF AND COULD HAVE USED AT ANY TIME.

I'll agree to disagree on the rest. The assassins you can get in this have fuck all for personality, you never talk to them again after you recruit them, and there's no reason to ever upgrade them. At least in Brotherhood you could prioritize what upgrades you got with your assassins, and even got to summmon robed killers at your command, the need to have them all be "unique" makes them look less like assassins and more like random thugs you hired off the street. It's all a downgrade from what we had before. What's the difference between having a Rank 0 Stephane Chapeau and a Rank 11 Stephane Chapeau? Hell if I know, I have no control or information other than a progress meter that tells jack.

So has anyone had a problem with the mail mission in Boston? It keeps showing up on map, I go there and accept it but the game never updates me on it and once I leave the area it resets and the icon for the mission appears again.

They're bugged like the rest of the game. Talk to the guy as if to accept the mission, then walk away from him a fair distance without fast traveling. That should accept it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Speaking of shaders, you also remind me of another small issue. Connor's outfit stays wet for like only 2 seconds after you get out of water (not sure if its different with Altair/Ezio outfits). With Ezio in previous games his outfit would be wet for a good minute or two which was a really neat effect.

Other than a two-second shine layer there is no difference when Connor jumps in the water.

The water effects are laughable in this game anyway. I can't see any difference in textures when it rains other than seeing the rain itself fall [half the time it rains even though the sky is clear]. Every surface stays the same [building textures stay dry, no puddles are formed], no feedback of rain falling on any of the water surfaces, no effect on clothing and no NPC reaction of any sort.

GTAIV had people running and hiding from the rain, and that game is fucking 4 years old.

No, I mean incredibly basic stuff like the radial menu, Viewpoints, Fast Travel, the unnecessary amount of guards on screen at one time, the context for actually doing the side-stuff, the rewards for said side-content being absolute garbage, over-simplifying the controls to have just one context sensitive button do everything, not being able to go into eagle vision unless you're standing still and weapon selection, in addition to making money 90% pointless and changing the way you make money.

I'll agree to disagree on the rest. The assassins you can get in this have fuck all for personality, you never talk to them again after you recruit them, and there's no reason to every upgrade them. At least in Brotherhood you could prioritize what upgrades you got with your assassins, and even got to summmon robed killers at your command, the need to have them all be "unique" makes them look less like assassins and more like random thugs you hired off the street. It's all a downgrade from what we had before. What's the difference between having a Rank 0 Stephane Chapeau and a Rank 11 Stephane Chapeau? Hell if I know, I have no control or information other than a progress meter that tells jack.

Haha true. The Assassin ranks are pretty pointless -- but help you over take certain area's easier, but that was a lot like the previous two AC games as well. The lack of Master Assassins ceremony was surely missed though. But I disagree again that I actually enjoy each Assassin having his own personality/style and weapon preference. To me it makes it feel much more old America, reminiscent of Gangs of New York.

But you do make some good points that I agree w/! But I've always had so many nitpicks in previous AC games I've learned to over-look them. But I have no problem w/ Fast Travel or the view-points. I like the option to either explore the world w/ out them or use them to cover a greater distance (for both aspects); more points would be appreciated though.

The large amounts of guards on screen is just a side-effect of the times and the reliance on large military group lines ect. And it's impressive how much they can fit on the screen. But sometimes I'm running through the city screaming, "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH! FUCK"

But the simplifying of controls didn't hamper the experience for me though and actually works for what the game has (tree running ect). But outside from leaping up while climbing, I was never really like, "I wish I had that from AC2!".

But in all i actually feel (like I've said previously) that this feels like a Next-gen AC game crammed to fit into this gen hardware and wasn't that successful at doing so; limiting potential ect. But I'm excited to hopefully get an AC game next generation...

Noi

Haha true. The Assassin ranks are pretty pointless -- but help you over take certain area's easier, but that was a lot like the previous two AC games as well. The lack of Master Assassins ceremony was surely missed though. But I disagree again that I actually enjoy each Assassin having his own personality/style and weapon preference. To me it makes it feel much more old America, reminiscent of Gangs of New York.

But you do make some good points that I agree w/! But I've always had so many nitpicks in previous AC games I've learned to over-look them. But I have no problem w/ Fast Travel or the view-points. I like the option to either explore the world w/ out them or use them to cover a greater distance (for both aspects); more points would be appreciated though.

The large amounts of guards on screen is just a side-effect of the times and the reliance on large military group lines ect. And it's impressive how much they can fit on the screen. But sometimes I'm running through the city screaming, "WHY IS THERE SO MUCH! FUCK"

But the simplifying of controls didn't hamper the experience for me though and actually works for what the game has (tree running ect). But outside from leaping up while climbing, I was never really like, "I wish I had that from AC2!".

But in all i actually feel (like I've said previously) that this feels like a Next-gen AC game crammed to fit into this gen hardware and wasn't that successful at doing so; limiting potential ect. But I'm excited to hopefully get an AC game next generation...

The problem with the Viewpoints lies with a double-whammy decision to both reduce the total amount and reduce the range for what the viewpoints reveal. Even if you use all the Viewpoints in the frontier, you still only have a bit less than half the map revealed. This also wouldn't be a problem if Connor physically going through an area revealed a nice portion of the map, but that isn't the case either. And with a lot of objective markers not showing up unless you've revealed their specific magic pixel of the map... It's one thing to encourage exploration, and another thing entirely to encourage wandering around with no clue as to what you're looking for is.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with the guards if the way they spot you was better designed. One of the reasons stealth blows so much is because a single guard can alert all the 10 guards in the near vicinity even if you kill him a second after he spots you. I still don't know if you can do double assassinations in low profile anymore, and running double assassinations are an instant alert if another guard is nearby. By the end of the game, I'd only ever escaped from going into Open Conflict by hiding about 6 or so times, just because it's not uncommon to run from the initial group of guards, only to run face first into 6 more, repeat as unnecessary.

As for Fast Travel, the Underground is a 100% pointless and un-fun addition. What was once simply running around and finding fast travel spots and fixing them up for use, now becomes a pitch black dulll labyrinth where you have to move at half-speed all the time while carrying a lantern, while solving puzzles to actually open the fast travel points. And you HAVE to do this if you want a good way to zip around the city.

All in all, my point is that there's more to the complaints than the typical ones you get from your average open world game. There's design complaints, there's "why did they think this was a good idea" complaints, etc etc.

Ricker

Guy floating on a log, down heavy current, so coming out of the cutscene,my first instinct is to dive in the river while I see the secondary objective tell me to not touch the water to save him lol...those side missions sometimes I tell you hehe...

The problem with the Viewpoints lies with a double-whammy decision to both reduce the total amount and reduce the range for what the viewpoints reveal. Even if you use all the Viewpoints in the frontier, you still only have a bit less than half the map revealed. This also wouldn't be a problem if Connor physically going through an area revealed a nice portion of the map, but that isn't the case either. And with a lot of objective markers not showing up unless you've revealed their specific magic pixel of the map... It's one thing to encourage exploration, and another thing entirely to encourage wandering around with no clue as to what you're looking for is.
Yea 100% agree w/ this. Although I think if you look at a feather or scenario it comes up on your map and if you you have eagle vision on it's even further, plus it saves that item. But yea, have no idea why they made connors view-radius and viewsyncs so damn small.

BUT I also think it encourages more exploration. If you were to get everything entirely viewed by a few viewsyncs, you wouldnt know exactly where you haven't been -- which helps a lot in hunting; determining which areas you have yet to go to, so you can theorize if it has animals you havent seen yet.
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with the guards if the way they spot you was better designed. One of the reasons stealth blows so much is because a single guard can alert all the 10 guards in the near vicinity even if you kill him a second after he spots you. I still don't know if you can do double assassinations in low profile anymore, and running double assassinations are an instant alert if another guard is nearby. By the end of the game, I'd only ever escaped from going into Open Conflict by hiding about 6 or so times, just because it's not uncommon to run from the initial group of guards, only to run face first into 6 more, repeat as unnecessary.
Agree w/ this too. The stealth is fucking dumb as hell. I can see they previously it was NOT like this (look at the demo's ect) but it seems like maybe play-testers were stating it was way too easy to stealth kill everyone, so they upped the awareness too late on and didn't have time to tweak it down. Hopefully they fix this (they wont).

As for Fast Travel, the Underground is a 100% pointless and un-fun addition. What was once simply running around and finding fast travel spots and fixing them up for use, now becomes a pitch black dulll labyrinth where you have to move at half-speed all the time while carrying a lantern, while solving puzzles to actually open the fast travel points. And you HAVE to do this if you want a good way to zip around the city.

All in all, my point is that there's more to the complaints than the typical ones you get from your average open world game. There's design complaints, there's "why did they think this was a good idea" complaints, etc etc.
I enjoy the underground, its a little too fucking big. But it is fun at times.

Fair enough, but those design complaints are still nit-picking. These types of games are more if you go through it optimistic; ignoring the weird quirks or pessimistic; focusing on every one of them, letting them degrade your experience.

Guy floating on a raft, down heavy current, so coming out of the cutscene,my first instinct is to dive in the river while I see the secondary objective tell me to not touch the water to save him lol...those side missions sometimes I tell you hehe...

Fuck yea. Those side objectives are ridiculous and dumb. Ubi thinks they are way too "SIDE" but EVERYONE is going to want to do them and feel annoyed when the get red out. I don't mind the ones that encourage you to do something, other than penalize you for not doing something. Like say that one Haythem mission where it said, "Destroy the two cannons". That takes you out of the normal path, encouraging a different route, but not penalizing you if you screw things up. "DO NOT GET DETECTED" or "DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING" is just NOT FUCKING FUN.

assassins you can get in this have fuck all for personality, you never talk to them again after you recruit them, and there's no reason to ever upgrade them.

You sure about this? I walked to an assassin, talked to him in the bar and he told me the story about
how he saw his father murdered, the same father you killed in the opening moments with Haytham.
Yep... no personallity.

You sure about this? I walked to an assassin, talked to him in the bar and
he told me the story about how he saw his father murdered, the same father you killed in the opening moments with Haytham.
Yep... no personallity.

Yea exactly, you can actually talk to them numerous times throughout the campaign and some of them have really interesting stories.

Irish

You sure about this? I walked to an assassin, talked to him in the bar and he told me the story about
how he saw his father murdered, the same father you killed in the opening moments with Haytham.
Yep... no personallity.

You get two conversations per assassin outside of the introductions. It's simply not enough. I want these guys to mean more to me. I feel like your recruits should almost be main characters and the story should revolve around the brotherhood aspects.

Noi

Yep... no personallity.

Call me hard to please, but being able to talk to them a few times for a little bit of backstory isn't "giving them a personality". That's the equivalent of being a named NPC in an RPG and knowing a little bit about them. I'd rather be able to customize them like I could before if that's all they're gonna have.

Maybe if they all had side-missions like the one main sequence memory with the Chef, would I consider them having done a good job at that. As it is, they could be filled in with anyone and no one would miss them.

Call me hard to please, but being able to talk to them a few times for a little bit of backstory isn't "giving them a personality". That's the equivalent of being a named NPC in an RPG and knowing a little bit about them. I'd rather be able to customize them like I could before if that's all they're gonna have.

Well fair enough but with as much content in the game, the fact they even gave them some interesting unique dialog at all was pretty cool to me.

Noi

Doing a homestead mission and I have to finish it by talking to a guy but he is in a a outhouse and wont come out!

You're supposed to talk to him while he's in the outhouse. If the game bugs out on you (as it tends to happen) and you get no interact prompt, restart the game.

Other than a two-second shine layer there is no difference when Connor jumps in the water.

The water effects are laughable in this game anyway. I can't see any difference in textures when it rains other than seeing the rain itself fall [half the time it rains even though the sky is clear]. Every surface stays the same [building textures stay dry, no puddles are formed], no feedback of rain falling on any of the water surfaces, no effect on clothing and no NPC reaction of any sort.

GTAIV had people running and hiding from the rain, and that game is fucking 4 years old.

RDR had the best rain effects in a open world I think.

Still nothing comes close to winter in AC3. I was really impressed with that.

Talk to him in the outhouse. Connor's a rude sumbitch.

I though that part was funny. Its like he didnt understand the concept of an outhouse. Indians shit in the woods. True gangsta!

Into sequence 10 now, and fatigue is beginning to grab me.
Not sure if it's me, or the game but I think I just need to mainline and finish it now.

The Homestead stuff is cool storywise but most of my artisans are level 1. I can make barrels, that's about it. Either I need to wade through menu after menu to buy the parts, or I find I don't have the level to make something. Surely in sequence 10 I should have more options by now? I've done every homestead mission that's appeared on the map? Is it just like this, or have I missed some stuff?

There's so much sidequest stuff, and none of it is properly explained. Feathers, pages, couriers, liberation, forts, pegleg, frontiersman. 3x clubs.

Bar a couple of these side quests, What do I GET for doing them. Do I get something special if I do ALL of them? I have no idea...

I get the feeling I'm beginning to home in on the end of the game now. Am I? Are some sequences coming up dramatically bigger than others? I don't know. All this stuff just makes the game feel a bit off to me. I'm still using the tomahawk and blazing through the combat. I only bought a sword a sequence ago. The atmosphere and plot are good, but as I said... Certainly feeling a bit worn now. My playtime is coming up to 17 hours.

All I can say with this game versus some other more recently played games. I finished up AC3 around 30 hours. About a week ago. I played through Halo 4 and some other stuff... I still can't stop thinking about AC3 and the fun I had with it. For me that's definetly something odd. Can't remember the last game I felt that way about.

I know it's not for everyone but that video of all of Connors deaths just showcased some of the very reasons I just absolutely fel in love with this game.

Irish

Not sure if it's me, or the game but I think I just need to mainline and finish it now.

The Homestead stuff is cool storywise but most of my artisans are level 1. I can make barrels, that's about it. Either I need to wade through menu after menu to buy the parts, or I find I don't have the level to make something. Surely in sequence 10 I should have more options by now? I've done every homestead mission that's appeared on the map? Is it just like this, or have I missed some stuff?

Sounds like you've missed a fair bit. Check your DNA Sync page on the start menu and scroll over to Homestead missions to see what all you have left.

There's so much sidequest stuff, and none of it is properly explained. Feathers, pages, couriers, liberation, forts, pegleg, frontiersman. 3x clubs.

Bar a couple of these side quests, What do I GET for doing them. Do I get something special if I do ALL of them? I have no idea...

I get the feeling I'm beginning to home in on the end of the game now. Am I? Are some sequences coming up dramatically bigger than others? I don't know. All this stuff just makes the game feel a bit off to me. I'm still using the tomahawk and blazing through the combat. I only bought a sword a sequence ago. The atmosphere and plot are good, but as I said... Certainly feeling a bit worn now. My playtime is coming up to 17 hours.
17 hours? Almost done? Fatigued? Jesus man, put it down and come back to it. I put 35 hours into the game before finishing and around 42 hours now. I still want to play it more...

But yea, do all the homestead missions as you see them. I've heard that some disappear if you don't do them right away... not sure how true that is.
All I can say with this game versus some other more recently played games. I finished up AC3 around 30 hours. About a week ago. I played through Halo 4 and some other stuff... I still can't stop thinking about AC3 and the fun I had with it. For me that's definetly something odd. Can't remember the last game I felt that way about.

I know it's not for everyone but that video of all of Connors deaths just showcased some of the very reasons I just absolutely fel in love with this game.

Yea, same here. The more I think about it the more I am liking it. It still doesn't surpass my RDR love (not yet) but it's fairly close and RDR was my favorite game this gen.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Does the game auto complete the viewpoints? I'm positive I didn't get them all because I was saving them for later but they're all complete.

Gartooth

Been playing the game for a while, and truth be told this is probably the worst game I purchased all year. I bemoaned Mass Effect 3 for it's lack of depth and terrible story telling, but that game was a disappointment while Assassin's Creed III is just a disaster that I regret playing in the first place. At this point I'm just trying to power through the campaign and get my money's worth out of it before trading it in to Gamestop to get Halo 4. (incredibly hard right now considering how much playing the game feels like actual work)

Anyway as far as what I liked:

+: American Revolution setting
+: Naval combat
+: Hunting animals

What I don't like:
- Loading Times
- Having to go into a menu to do things like change weapons
- Map System
- Storyline/Characters
- Mission Design (Incredibly boring go here/there, kill X)
- Navigation Controls (Why do I keep auto jumping places I don't want to go, at least when A and Right Trigger gave different functions in previous games this didn't happen)
-Combat controls (why can't I kill a downed enemy, why is it such a pain in the ass to fire a gun, why is the enemy AI so terrible in general!?)
- Terrible context sensitive actions such as hiding (stealth overall blows in this game, enemy AI rears it's ugly head again with inconsistent fields of vision, and overall just too many enemies crowded everywhere making a stealth approach near impossible)
- Health regeneration and overall lack of progression for leveling up your character compared to past games. (miss this...)
-Terrible glitches abound that make the game a giant headache
-The pacing of the campaign leaving you in what feels like a tutorial for several hours before the game feels like it begins.
-The lack of secret tombs. (An even worse crime than the lose of the character progression ;_; )
-Music that is ultimately forgettable compared to series past.

OK... I think I got it out of my system how much I hate this game. To be fair to the game I haven't finished it (only on sequence 8 right now) so things such as the rest of the campaign, side quests, and multiplayer haven't been experienced yet. Regardless I truly think that this is probably the worst Assassin's Creed in the series.

I thought the first game had potential, but when II and Brotherhood came around I fell in love with this series and didn't think it would go so bad so soon. Revelations I felt lacked polish in several areas and made bad design choices, but at it's core I felt like the core of Assassin's Creed remained so I was willing to follow the series again despite my apathy toward that game. AC3 though just completely throws practically everything I like about the series out the window, and unless GAF shoves glowing recommendations for the next game down my throat, I am done playing this series.

Sounds like you've missed a fair bit. Check your DNA Sync page on the start menu and scroll over to Homestead missions to see what all you have left.

Barring story stuff though, it's kinda pointless in Sequence 10 to chase after these now though surely?

Perhaps I'll just mop them all up after I've finished. Little bit disappointed because I absolutely destroyed brotherhood and did nearly every damn thing. Just not feeling it in this one the same way.

Top Bottom