• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

iNvid02

the story is always more interesting when there is a sense of mystery and you dont know whats going on - AC1 could do that.

but as the games went on they had to start revealing things, and inevitably its not as cool.

Bladenic

the story is always more interesting when there is a sense of mystery and you dont know whats going on - AC1 could do that.

but as the games went on they had to start revealing things, and inevitably its not as cool.

Even with that, the way they handled Desmond's story was so barebones and underwhelming. The more I think about it, the more I think the whole game should have been set in present day. Or at least something like 50% of it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
There are moments when you're playing the game and you can kinda see what they were going for, and with respect it does seems different from past games, but ultimately they didn't achieve it and I think it stopped the game from having its own identity.

Even with that, the way they handled Desmond's story was so barebones and underwhelming. The more I think about it, the more I think the whole game should have been set in present day. Or at least something like 50% of it.

The modern sections had a lot of potential but I think they failed to deliver.
The New York section was underwhelming. I mean I climbed all the way up that building and then the games takes over? Bullshit. There could have been some great infiltration gameplay there.

exYle

The modern sections had a lot of potential but I think they failed to deliver.
The New York section was underwhelming. I mean I climbed all the way up that building and then the games takes over? Bullshit. There could have been some great infiltration gameplay there.

Later in the story, you go to (Desmond mission)
Brazil
. That mission is much better.

Noi

Brazil

I hated that mission because of the spotted = failure BS, which wouldn't have been as bad if there weren't guards everywhere.

The mission where you
go to Abstergo though?
That one I did enjoy.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Brazil

Still wasn't enough imo, and that level felt kind of janky. The
Abstergo level was kind of stupid too. Fight my way through the facility and then on the way out he remembers 'oh shit I could use the Apple and make this shit a lot easier'.

Slair

I wish there was more improvisation, maybe because i've recently played dishonored, but there is a very specific way the game would like you to tackle things but it doesn't explicitly tell you. There are multiple chases through the game, but more specifically the ones where the person you're chasing runs through a line of red coats. You see a gap that you can run through to the left of them, a huge gap, you think you can go that way until one of the redcoats goes into a pusing animation, misses you by 3ft and you still get pushed back. Turns out the game actually wants you to use the boxes to the right of the redcoats. I dont want to run up the boxes, i dont trust the boxes because they randomly make me run up the wall beside them instead of running over them.

Also i think the ship missions are cool as fuck but why can enemy ships fire through waves but i cant? They dont need to worry about the huge waves or reloading and they all have cannons covering every possible direction. There is one mission where you start inbetween 2 rows of ships you have to protect, why do these ships chase the enemy ones when they have no weapons?

Maybe all this stems from going for 100% sync, i dunno, but it kinda pissed me off.

I wish there was more improvisation, maybe because i've recently played dishonored, but there is a very specific way the game would like you to tackle things but it doesn't explicitly tell you. There are multiple chases through the game, but more specifically the ones where the person you're chasing runs through a line of red coats. You see a gap that you can run through to the left of them, a huge gap, you think you can go that way until one of the redcoats goes into a pusing animation, misses you by 3ft and you still get pushed back. Turns out the game actually wants you to use the boxes to the right of the redcoats. I dont want to run up the boxes, i dont trust the boxes because they randomly make me run up the wall beside them instead of running over them.

Also i think the ship missions are cool as fuck but why can enemy ships fire through waves but i cant? They dont need to worry about the huge waves or reloading and they all have cannons covering every possible direction. There is one mission where you start inbtween 2 rows of ships you have to protect, why do these ships chase the enemy ones when they have no weapons?

Maybe all this stems from going for 100% sync, i dunno, but it kinda pissed me off.

Idk, waves seemed to block enemy fire just fine for me.

The only problem I had with the ship missions is that the amount of time it takes for you to take cover is exactly the same amount of time it takes for an enemy ship to fire + reload, so by the time you regain control of the ship they are already firing again...

News Bot

Banned
Just finished the game, thoughts on the story.

Really obvious they thought of literally none of this shit beforehand and just whipped up whatever they could to provide some "shock" value on par with ACII, and failed miserably at it. It feels incredibly disconnected from the previous games. What happened to "Eve"? Juno's little plot was laughable, and didn't the previous games and supplemental material establish that the First Civilisation had larger bodies than humans? So why are Minerva and Juno like 5ft? The actual American Revolution wasn't done very well. While I'm glad they were pretty neutral and didn't sway to either Red or Blue, nothing felt connected or important. The fuck happened to Franklin, Adams, Revere and pretty much every other historical figure? Unlike previous games, it felt as though they were mere references than actual fully involved characters. Abstergo was not handled well at all. Cross and Vidic get about 5 minutes of screen-time and then don't even get a proper resolution. Just boom, dead as fuck. And what happened to the Revelations multiplayer plot hook about Abstergo agents looking for William Miles? Haytham was great, but his fanaticism over Charles Lee was laughable, and Lee himself felt like a non-character. He appears a handful of times and doesn't do much of anything except traumatize young Connor and be an unfocused buffoon the rest of the time.

Basically; a load of bollocks pissed away by bad execution. Really messy, though the base concept is fine. Also; the credits are obnoxious.

Noi

Spent the last hour and a half trying to see if I could get the Farmer entry to click, but no go. Guess I really did get stuck until Ubisoft patches this.

Just finished the game, thoughts on the story.

Really obvious they thought of literally none of this shit beforehand. It feels incredibly disconnected from the previous games. What happened to "Eve"? Juno's little plot was laughable, and didn't the previous games and supplemental material establish that the First Civilisation had larger bodies than humans? So why are Minerva and Juno like 5ft? The actual American Revolution wasn't done very well. While I'm glad they were pretty neutral and didn't sway to either Red or Blue, nothing felt connected or important. The fuck happened to Franklin, Adams, Revere and pretty much every other historical figure? Unlike previous games, it felt as though they were mere references than actual fully involved characters. Abstergo was not handled well at all. Cross and Vidic get about 5 minutes of screen-time and then don't even get a proper resolution. Just boom, dead as fuck. And what happened to the Revelations multiplayer plot hook about Abstergo agents looking for William Miles?

Basically; a load of bollocks pissed away by bad execution. Really messy, though the base concept is fine.

Well, i know that Ben Franklin was actually in Europe for the majority of the years Conner's story took place. But i understand what you are saying. Instead of these people being actual characters like Davinci in previous games, they felt more like just cameos. Its a shame.

I'm disappointed that people aren't talking about the multiplayer. That's the primary reason I bought this game. I haven't even touched the single-player, nor have I done so in any of the AC games (someday I plan on starting with AC2).

But the multiplayer is so unique, and so fun, it justifies the cost of the game alone.

Nori Chan

I'm disappointed that people aren't talking about the multiplayer. That's the primary reason I bought this game. I haven't even touched the single-player, nor have I done so in any of the AC games (someday I plan on starting with AC2).

But the multiplayer is so unique, and so fun, it justifies the cost of the game alone.

Got to level 50 today :) it was fun, but the multiplayer story behind it wasn't as good as Revelations...

Nemesis_

So guys, quick question.

Better to finish the story, then do completion stuff? Or the other way around? I'm hearing the game gets "better" once you finish, is this true and what does it mean?

Bladenic

So guys, quick question.

Better to finish the story, then do completion stuff? Or the other way around? I'm hearing the game gets "better" once you finish, is this true and what does it mean?

Lol I don't see how it would get better. Just do whatever you prefer, either is fine.

I will say that I finished all the side stuff before even finishing sequence 9 except for the few Homestead missions that unlock later on. As a result, the game ended on a lower note for me, because the final sequence is absolutely horrendous and the worst of any AC game. Post final sequence Desmond and ending are also lame. Take that as you will.

I'm a victim of another awesome glitch. Encyclopedia of the Common. I have 2/3 for woodworker but says completed in the log.

But bless the internet for figuring out how to bypass all these glitches.

Nemesis_

I will say that I finished all the side stuff before even finishing sequence 9 except for the few Homestead missions that unlock later on. As a result, the game ended on a lower note for me, because the final sequence is absolutely horrendous and the worst of any AC game. Post final sequence Desmond and ending are also lame. Take that as you will.

Okay, but are you saying it was horrendous and made WORSE because you did the side missions? Or is it unrelated? >_>

Bladenic

Okay, but are you saying it was horrendous and made WORSE because you did the side missions? Or is it unrelated? >_>

Nah, I mean I had a ton of fun with the side stuff especially with the amazing naval missions. I hated the final sequence, and Sequence 11 wasn't great either. So I do kind of wish I saved some of the side missions for post game instead of finishing the game with the worst parts of it.

I may go for Platinum if they patch some of the glitches though. I got almost all the other trophies besides multi and the full completion ones. Oh and pivot one. That's gonna be a bitch.

Noi

I'm a victim of another awesome glitch. Encyclopedia of the Common. I have 2/3 for woodworker but says completed in the log.

But bless the internet for figuring out how to bypass all these glitches.

You're actually on the good side of that glitch. If it says completed, the game still counts it as done so you don't have to worry about anything, you can still complete the Encyclopedia and get the trophy/achievement for it.

I, on the other hand, have the complete opposide: 3/3 for Farmers with no completed prompt on the log. As far as I checked, there is no solution for the glitch outside of waiting for Ubisoft to patch their shitty game.

Irish

To me, this game seems to be a case of the sum of its parts is greater than the whole. I love a lot of the individual elements, but I don't like the way they are put together in the least. The game actually feels more like an expansion (instead of a sequel) than either Rev or Brohood ever did and I don't really understand why.

In a lot of ways, structurally at least, it feels like an Alpha version. All the pages are there, but it still hasn't been bound.

Bladenic

To me, this game seems to be a case of the sum of its parts is greater than the whole. I love a lot of the individual elements, but I don't like the way they are put together in the least. The game actually feels more like an expansion (instead of a sequel) than either Rev or Brohood ever did and I don't really understand why.

In a lot of ways, structurally at least, it feels like an Alpha version. All the pages are there, but it still hasn't been bound.

It feels very rushed to me. The horrific technical problems, the last sequence, and the way Desmond's story was wrapped up. I'd like to think it was rushed rather than Ubisoft just dropped the ball big time.

Connor is my favorite assassin by a mile (even if there's only been 3). I'm surprised people hate him so much... I was initially skeptical by the first trailer (Outsider), but I absolutely love his demeanor and voice.

Man crush initiated.

I get what you mean. I actually very much love this game and prefer it to the others, but it does feel lacking in something. To me I think it feels like a next-gen game on old-gen hardware... like there is so much it wants to do, but has numerous issues achieving it. If they worked on it for another year or so and developed it based on the new hardware I think it could have bee n what it's trying to be.

But I still love it and don't agree w/ all the hate towards it. Yet it hasn't surpassed RDR as my favorite game this generation (which I thought it would), it's close though!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Connor is my favorite assassin by a mile (even if there's only been 3). I'm surprised people hate him so much... I was initially skeptical by the first trailer (Outsider), but I absolutely love his demeanor and voice.

Man crush initiated.

I don't know if I'd say favorite but I like Connor a lot as well.

Bladenic

Man crush initiated.

I'm actually surprised anybody liked him honestly.

Irish

Man crush initiated.

I don't detest him in the same way I hate Ezio, by any means, but I don't think they did the idea of his character as much justice as they could have.

Bladenic

I don't detest him in the same way I hate Ezio, by any means, but I don't think they did the idea of his character as much justice as they could have.

ibwk81gxrf6kcl.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Kotaku posted a really good article on why AC3 is a bad game, although the person who wrote it (kirk hamilton) isn't done with it yet, only 12ish hours through I think he said. He does touch on almost every problem I have with the game. Only part I disagreed with is when he basically called the AC series a stealth series.

Have the exact thing, how do you bypass?

Haven't tried any yet but there's some good tips here.
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/assassins-creed-iii/178250-encyclopedia-common-man-glitch.html

You're actually on the good side of that glitch. If it says completed, the game still counts it as done so you don't have to worry about anything, you can still complete the Encyclopedia and get the trophy/achievement for it.

I, on the other hand, have the complete opposide: 3/3 for Farmers with no completed prompt on the log. As far as I checked, there is no solution for the glitch outside of waiting for Ubisoft to patch their shitty game.

Crossing my fingers. I still have 2 left.

ezekial45

Banned
I sent the game back today, thankfully I decided to be cheap in October and give it a rent. I might get the PC version somewhere down the line. I was just disappointed with the game, and I stopped about halfway through sequence 7.

I'm a huge fan of the series, but they fucked up with this game as far as I'm concerned. It was so sloppy and rough.

EDIT: Also, how do you pronounce 'Ratonhnhaké:ton' again?

iNvid02

Kotaku posted a really good article on why AC3 is a bad game, although the person who wrote it (kirk hamilton) isn't done with it yet, only 12ish hours through I think he said. He does touch on almost every problem I have with the game. Only part I disagreed with is when he basically called the AC series a stealth series.

just read it and its impossible to not agree with some those points but others are down to preference and opinion, despite everything wrong with it, i still had fun.

also that reminded me of a bug i encountered. two bears started growling and the audio got stuck, the game was just looping these deafening growls, actually had to take my headphones off and escape before it stopped.

wtf

haikira

After two hours.

"Hmm Is it just me or is this game is pretty buggy? Let's take a look on the OT"

avgn_spit180ur4k9jzr.gif

Wish i'd have at least waited for the PC version for the better framerate.

Noi

Jumped into the Multiplayer and... wow. Granted, I'd only played Brotherhood's before this, but wtf happened to the stages? I am NOT fan of the literal semi-invisible walls.

Jumped into the Multiplayer and... wow. Granted, I'd only played Brotherhood's before this, but wtf happened to the stages? I am NOT fan of the literal semi-invisible walls.

The edge of the stage has always had invisible walls, since Brotherhood...

Tell me you're not playing Deathmatch, gtfo of that mode

Noi

The edge of the stage has always had invisible walls, since Brotherhood...

Tell me you're not playing Deathmatch, gtfo of that mode

Well I know that, but I don't remember them being standing out as much as they do now. Or maybe it was just for the one stage, I dunno.

I'm actually not sure what I played, I just hopped onto one match and left. Does Deathmatch only have ridiculously tiny maps now or something?

I finished it!

It wasn't so bad... I loved Conners story ending -- it could have been a bit more developed, but it worked.

And Desmonds ending actually ended better than what I was fearing. I was afraid they wouldn't actually end it and keep it like, "Desmonds key didnt work! Hopefully we can figure this out soon...". But it actually ended Desmonds story and opened up a new alternate premise to the world that I'm interested to see how they handle it. The whole story is wacko though -- but I think it's fine for what the game is.

All in all I liked it. I'll sit on it though.. maybe I'll hate it later.
Fair enough. But they developed him a greater deal then I ever imagined, I generally have low expectations on the story of these games. I love the premise, but seriously there is no open-world game where the story is a beautifully crafted masterpiece. So if I can somewhat understand it, I'm usually pleasantly surprised. And I could follow Connors story/motives better than Ezio's.

Derrick01

Banned
just read it and its impossible to not agree with some those points but others are down to preference and opinion, despite everything wrong with it, i still had fun.

also that reminded me of a bug i encountered. two bears started growling and the audio got stuck, the game was just looping these deafening growls, actually had to take my headphones off and escape before it stopped.

wtf

I had some fun too but I really wanted this to be amazing with the time period it was in. The PC version should make it better with playable framerates but there's too many gameplay problems that seem to get worse with every game in the series.

Well I know that, but I don't remember them being standing out as much as they do now. Or maybe it was just for the one stage, I dunno.

I'm actually not sure what I played, I just hopped onto one match and left. Does Deathmatch only have ridiculously tiny maps now or something?

Yes, the maps in Deathmatch are much smaller than they are normally.

Man... I hit Sequence 11 and I just realized this game is a lot more depressing than I thought it'd be. The story's pretty good though. I'm really liking it.

I'm not finished the game yet but I did finish the Desmond section where
he goes to Abstergo

It was cool at first but then once I'd finished it, I realized how much potential it squandered. I thought about a dozen cooler ways to do that section than what they'd implemented. Also
ending Cross that way was unforgivably retarded. Not only did they screw us out of an amazing fight, but they didn't even give a last conversation between Desmond and Cross as it was Desmond's first legit assassination

The fuck, Ubisoft?

Scored a free code for the PC edition of this game, fuck yeah!

(^_^)

Wuh-wah!? How?

I wish they'd do something like Valve does and offer the PC version free/discounted.
just finished it. everyone is right, that chase in sequence 12 suuuuucked and the ending is worthless

Yea, I can't tell if I suck or the majority of those optional Sync objectives are frustrating as fuck. When it says, "Dont be detected" I get an instant headache.

Amagon

Wuh-wah!? How?

I wish they'd do something like Valve does and offer the PC version free/discounted.

Yea, I can't tell if I suck or the majority of those optional Sync objectives are frustrating as fuck. When it says, "Dont be detected" I get an instant headache.

Friend of a friend. I just got lucky, I'm happy though. Can't afford to buy any games for the time being and ACIII is on top of my must play list.

Bladenic

I'm not finished the game yet but I did finish the Desmond section where
he goes to Abstergo

It was cool at first but then once I'd finished it, I realized how much potential it squandered. I thought about a dozen cooler ways to do that section than what they'd implemented. Also
ending Cross that way was unforgivably retarded. Not only did they screw us out of an amazing fight, but they didn't even give a last conversation between Desmond and Cross as it was Desmond's first legit assassination

The fuck, Ubisoft?

That's where the disappointment begins. It gets worse.

It was an interesting premise that was forced to stretch over way too many games. There is only so many times they can justify why desmond locates to a new area only to jump back into the animus and find keys.

The second I stopped giving a fuck about optional objectives, the game became a hundred times better.

That's where the disappointment begins. It gets worse.

QCPN0.gif

Connor's story has been legitimately interesting, I think. It's a pretty big epic tale when factoring in all the side stuff and putting it between the main narrative to create a big cohesive tale.

But Desmond's is disappointing me. Up till now, it was okay, but this last level is genuinely annoying me. I'm not a professional writer or anything, but that is incredibly unsatisfying, and that's coming from a guy who actually loves the crazy shit in this game. Whoever wrote this as part of the story sucks. At least when it's crazy, it's entertaining and the characters are decent. The latest Desmond one (that I referred to in my previous post) is just really, really disappointing. Especially after all the build up. Fuck.

Spoilers for Desmond mission around Sequence 11:

You build up Cross for an entire graphic novel, since AC2, and across this game in the Desmond levels and conversations with everyone else, and you end it with him going crazy and just standing there after a little chase and getting stabbed!? FUCK YOU. There was tons of potential here, from character and narrative perspectives. And then Vidic, you just easily off him with the Apple? Nothing? No grand Templar speech? No final conversations with either Cross or Vidic? What the fuck, Desmond deserves to have those. Massively unsatisfying. While it was badass to run through Abstergo with a hidden blade and a combat knife, from the narrative, that was just... shit. And it really makes me depressed because I was actually really excited to see a Cross/Miles showdown and I actually love the AC fiction.

Thinking back, this isn't the first time Ubi has squandered character/narrative. In ACR.
Subject 16 is barely in the game and then gets erased/deleted without more Desmond interaction. That pissed me off, and they left all the huge revelations about Lucy and 16 in DLC. Which was retarded. That's three great characters that whoever wrote this game fucked up and ruined the potential: Cross, Clay, and Lucy.

iNvid02

The second I stopped giving a fuck about optional objectives, the game became a hundred times better.

QCPN0.gif

Connor's story has been legitimately interesting, I think. It's a pretty big epic tale when factoring in all the side stuff and putting it between the main narrative to create a big cohesive tale.

But Desmond's is disappointing me. Up till now, it was okay, but this last level is genuinely annoying me. I'm not a professional writer or anything, but that is incredibly unsatisfying, and that's coming from a guy who actually loves the crazy shit in this game. Whoever wrote this as part of the story sucks. At least when it's crazy, it's entertaining and the characters are decent. The latest Desmond one (that I referred to in my previous post) is just really, really disappointing. Especially after all the build up. Fuck.

Spoilers for Desmond mission around Sequence 11:

You build up Cross for an entire graphic novel, since AC2, and across this game in the Desmond levels and conversations with everyone else, and you end it with him going crazy and just standing there after a little chase and getting stabbed!? FUCK YOU. There was tons of potential here, from character and narrative perspectives. And then Vidic, you just easily off him with the Apple? Nothing? No grand Templar speech? No final conversations with either Cross or Vidic? What the fuck, Desmond deserves to have those. Massively unsatisfying. While it was badass to run through Abstergo with a hidden blade and a combat knife, from the narrative, that was just... shit. And it really makes me depressed because I was actually really excited to see a Cross/Miles showdown and I actually love the AC fiction.

Thinking back, this isn't the first time Ubi has squandered character/narrative. In ACR.
Subject 16 is barely in the game and then gets erased/deleted without more Desmond interaction. That pissed me off, and they left all the huge revelations about Lucy and 16 in DLC. Which was retarded. That's three great characters that whoever wrote this game fucked up and ruined the potential: Cross, Clay, and Lucy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489844&highlight=

fmfAr.gif

Top Bottom