• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

rvy

Banned
I'm really hoping that some of these bugs are addressed in the Wii U version and I REALLY hope it's not worse than the 360/PS3 versions. Especially as I don't know how well the system will be able to handle patches...

The WiiU doesn't have an HDD?

Pyccko

Fuck sakes Ubisoft. I fall to my death and respawn in the middle of the forest then 2 guys walk up to me and I unlock the club invite trophy. This play through is forever tainted. I didn't even hear what they said to me :(

Man, that same shit happened to me. What a fucking guff this game turned out to be.

Holy damn the chase missions in this game are the most god awful things I've ever had to do in a video game. Just beat it, absolutley loved the first half, living in Boston myself it was really cool to play through those early revolution moments. The second half of the game was completely the opposite, I got so angry during some of those missions. I really wished they made the second half better. Hopefully I can swap it for dishonored now.

Noi

So I was listening to the most recent episode of Polygon's The Besties, and NeoGAF's favorite "journalist," Justin McElroy said something interesting about how Assassin's Creed 3 features no counter kills like previous games. He then kind of gets called on his bullshit and reneges, complaining that it only works part of the time.

Now, I don't know just how bad one has to be at a video game not to be able to hit B/Circle in the immensely generous window of time they give before an enemy strikes, then follow up that super-hard button press with one more button press, hitting X/Square, to get an instant counter kill, but holy shit, it's stupidly easy. Works on every single average soldier, and different classes of soldiers/guards simply need to be disarmed beforehand.

Not sure how someone manages to beat a game and not figure out its insanely basic combat system, but this is the same guy who wrote Joystiq's infamous Nier review, so, well, standard fare I suppose.

link: http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/9/3624354/the-besties-podcast-34

His silliness starts at about 15:35.

To be entirely fair, you can go through the whole game without knowing that Counter-Disarm/Break Defense and Counter-Kill even exist in the game, because the game never teaches you how to do them. I went through half the game only using Counter-Throw (and only learned you can toss in any direction by looking it up for the tea party objective), figured out Disarm about 3/4 of the way when the game was asking me to do so for challenges, and didn't learn about Counter-Kill until after I beat the game. Hell, I didn't know I could use Eagle Vision until way after Connor gets the robes because you can't go into Eagle Vision unless you're standing perfectly still, which is ridiculous.

Ambitious

The infamous sequence 12 chase section wasn't that bad, actually.

I experienced another glitch: A carriage was approaching me when suddenly the cart turned upside down in the blink of an eye and got partially stuck in the ground. the two horses kept walking in slow motion. After several seconds, the cart whirled around the area like it got caught in a tornado until it finally reattached itself to the horses, but upside down again. Both the cart and the horses began to shake erratically until the cart rotated again. It then left the area from the direction it came from.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone have a high-res image of the eagle symbol on Connor's hood? I've been looking everywhere for a vector or something but to no avail.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
If a game is going to skimp on tutorials, then the manual needs to be robust. This is how I'd prefer all games.

There is a manual somewhere within the menus. Some say there is a ghost too but nobody that goes into the maze has ever returned to tell the tale.

Fucking Christ ANOTHER damn glitch. My UFO mission is glitched. They tell me to search but nothing is there. I found the exact spot on the video and nada. All I have is 3 useless frontiersmen icons in Boston that do jack shit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit how the fuck am I supposed to cross the battlefield in sequence 7 without dying?

This game's missions have taken a very quick turn into brain-fart territory over the past hour.

rvy

Banned
Holy shit how the fuck am I supposed to cross the battlefield in sequence 7 without dying?

This game's missions have taken a very quick turn into brain-fart territory over the past hour.

You're not supposed to. AC III game design 101: Coming up with awful level design and game mechanics.

Just try your best to stick to cover and move after they shoot.

Noi

Ironically, I made it past both battlefields in that sequence without getting hit on my first try. For the second one, I just looked at the soldiers at the distance and moved the moment after they shot.

The stealth sequence right after though...

I got through without taking damage. Just look at the firing squad and after you see a bunch of small white lights run to the next spot of cover.

Balphon

For the one with the cannons shelling the town you just need to never stop running. For the other, you have to take cover behind the various barricades during British volleys and run between cover points while they're not firing. It might take a few tries, since the visual cues aren't great.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
For the one with the cannons shelling the town you just need to never stop running. For the other, you have to take cover behind the various barricades during British volleys and run between cover points while they're not firing. It might take a few tries, since the visual cues aren't great.

Audio cues aren't brilliant in that part either. Not great throughout the game tbh.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got through it. I took damage at one point because instead of running out of cover, Connor decided to climb on top of it and do a little dance instead.

Anyway I'm enjoying the game so far, but it has some mind-numbingly frustrating design decisions; so many insta-fail sections that boot you back to the beginning of the mission. Also this game's stealth mechanics are utter shit, it's almost not worth bothering with it.

Also where did the Patriots get all those nice blue uniforms from?

Meohsix

So about the hidden blades...
did they feel totally under powered to you? in the other AC games they were like the ultimate bad ass weapon that you could kill anyone with. but in this game i found myself using every other weapon available to kill enemies because with the hidden blades it felt like i was hitting people with Q-Tips.

the entire game i was waiting and expecting a series of homestead missions that would allow me to upgrade the blades. (Achilles gives you the blueprints, Norris mines the metal, Myriam hunts animals for the leather, Ellen uses the leather to make the arm guards, and then Dave forges the blades. etc...) But it never happened. =/

iNvid02

did they feel totally under powered to you? in the other AC games they were like the ultimate bad ass weapon that you could kill anyone with. but in this game i found myself using every other weapon available to kill enemies because with the hidden blades it felt like i was hitting people with Q-Tips.

the entire game i was waiting and expecting a series of homestead missions that would allow me to upgrade the blades. (Achilles gives you the blueprints, Norris mines the metal, Myriam hunts animals for the leather, Ellen uses the leather to make the arm guards, and then Dave forges the blades. etc...) But it never happened. =/

just another thing wrong with the game

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know if i'd call them under powered but this game was all about the tomahawk with little emphasis on the blades. I can't see what they would do to upgrade them, it already had a gun and poison darts.

Noi

I don't know if i'd call them under powered but this game was all about the tomahawk with little emphasis on the blades. I can't see what they would do to upgrade them, it already had a gun and poison darts.

This wouldn't even need to be the case if the weapon you picked in the weapon menu stayed as your default melee weapon, but it always defaults to the damn light weapon. I pretty much never used my normal/heavy weapons because of it.

Eh? They work fine and you need them for the majority of assassinations. They were too OP in the original games.
Hey guys,

Just began the game and i am completely blocked:
I am at the 1st mission with guns. I have a tutorial which says that i must press L1 and then shoot some barrels and when i do it i can zoom but i absolutely can't shoot!!! I have tried it for 15 min. And I can't move at all

And btw in the first hour of gameplay, the amount of bugs i have encountered is crazy: characters who are speaking in cutscenes but the lips don't move, buttons which dont pop up when i am supposed to interact, etc. And i spent 15min trying to break the lock in the theater!!!

Not sure i like the atmosphere also, this mission with the guns reminds me more of RDR than AC2...

Jesus we get reviews for the first hour of the game now too? Damn people are really excited to hate on the game. Aim for the smaller barrels btw

SJRB

Gold Member
1l7FS.jpg

Tomahawk is awesome. So badass to do a running kill with the tomahawk, Connor just runs up to someone full speed and just smashes that tomahawk into their chests. He even has to jank it out because it's stuck so deep in there.

I did a fort liberation earlier where for some reason [glitch ahoooooy] an entire group of redcoats would throw down their weapons and just run around like a lunatic yelling "you wouldn't kill an unarmed man, would you?".

Yes. Yes I would. I ran up to every single one of them and buried that tomahawk in their back. And it felt gooooood.

http://i.imgur.com/1l7FS.jpg[IMG]

Tomahawk is awesome. So badass to do a running kill with the tomahawk, Connor just runs up to someone full speed and just smashes that tomahawk into their chests. He even has to jank it out because it's stuck so deep in there.

I did a fort liberation earlier where for some reason [glitch ahoooooy] an entire group of redcoats would throw down their weapons and just run around like a lunatic yelling "you wouldn't kill an unarmed man, would you?".

Yes. Yes I would. I ran up to every single one of them and buried that tomahawk in their back. And it felt gooooood.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Keep your positivity OUT of this thread!

[spoiler]that tomahawk is so goddam badass. I need to buy one [/spoiler]

NIN90

So are double assassinations while walking even possible anymore? They always work when doing air assassinations but I don't think I ever did one while walking. Previous games were kinda wonky with it but not this bad.

Dawg

that tomahawk is so goddam badass. I need to buy one

Heh, I almost thought I was one of the few in this thread who actually liked the game. I really don't understand all the negativity, even while the game isn't perfect. It was a great experience. Some things could have been better though.

Noi

So are double assassinations while walking even possible anymore? They always work when doing air assassinations but I don't think I ever did one while walking. Previous games were kinda wonky with it but not this bad.

You can do high profile ones, and people swear by them existing, but I've never been able to do a low-profile double assassination.

SJRB

Gold Member

that tomahawk is so goddam badass. I need to buy one

I've been cracking down on this game pretty hard in this thread, but credit where credit is due so when something works and it actually awesome I have no problem mentioning it.

While we're on the subject - tomahawk, rope dart hangings, strangling people with the snare trap, chocking people the fuck out with bare hands are all awesome additions to the game's combat options.

Literally nothing is more enjoyable to me than running through the snow-filled Frontier, hearing those drums in the distance, find a tree to set up an ambush, rope-dart the captain and leave him hanging and just kill everone else in a whirlwind of tomahawk frenzy before they even realize what the hell just happened.

The ambient "lounge on the V-shaped tree branch" is so cool too, observing a passing caravan without them knowing you are there.

In all fairness I could probably write a huge post about all the cool things in this game. The problem is just that for every cool thing there are 3 things that just piss me off. One step forward, three steps back. Which is why my gameplay sessions are basically "explore the Frontier, kill some dudes". No missions, no scripted horseshit. Just try to have fun.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
1l7FS.jpg

Yes. Yes I would. I ran up to every single one of them and buried that tomahawk in their back. And it felt gooooood.

You ever try a stealth kill with an axe? He just stands behind them and just buries it into the guys back, hilarious.

rdrr gnr

Hey, thanks Irish and MuseManMike, just got Perfectionist. That mission wasn't so hard after all.

Completionist seems like it's going to be very time consuming. I don't want to go into the underground and do all these club challenges. And how the heck do you even do this Common man quest? Do I have to wait around the homestead all day for everyone to do their thing? Ugh.
It's not worth it.

Noi

I'm at 41 hours for the 100%. Then again, I did everything in one go rather than go back and re-do earlier missions.

Only trophy I'm missing for the plat is Encyclopedia of the Common Man. Wondering how long it would take me to reach a point where I can get it while skipping all cutscenes and ignoring all optional objectives...

Edit: and the first cutscene is unskippable. Wonderful.

Edit2: As is the second one. This is gonna be a long night.

I'm at 41 hours for the 100%. Then again, I did everything in one go rather than go back and re-do earlier missions.

Only trophy I'm missing for the plat is Encyclopedia of the Common Man. Wondering how long it would take me to reach a point where I can get it while skipping all cutscenes and ignoring all optional objectives...

Edit: and the first cutscene is unskippable. Wonderful.

Edit2: As is the second one. This is gonna be a long night.

Fun thing I realized is that none of the cutscenes in AC2 are skipabble.. it's annoying.

Also we have come so far w/ the character models...

fPpvL.jpg

6clbb.jpg

anddo0

Wow this game really is trash... "Reach the old growth forest".. enough said. Such poor level design, that entire sequence is a joke. Is Ubi in bed with Capcom?

The 1st game had great character models. They only went down the shitter in the 2nd game.

Yea it's true. The graphics were actually the best in AC1 I believe... but it's probably because they used all available memory for textures and had no content. I still love AC1.

It's still astounding how far we've come in 1 generation and that AC3 runs on the same tech. I've always felt Ubisoft montreal had outstanding conceptual artists, modelers and animators. But were lacking in master programmers/game designers/graphic designers. Not to say they aren't skilled... but not up to par w/ the art team.

Top Bottom