• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

rvy

Banned
Yea it's true. The graphics were actually the best in AC1 I believe... but it's probably because they used all available memory for textures and had no content. I still love AC1.

It's still astounding how far we've come in 1 generation and that AC3 runs on the same tech.

Agree. I disliked AC II's artstyle. Glad they moved away from the cartoon direction in III.

So here's another annoying bug that I've encountered at least two to three times so far. Sometimes you'll complete a mission, like a home stead mission in my case, but if there's still an enemy on the map like a wolf or random soldier that was not part of the mission you'll die in the post mission cutscene because they'll attack you while you are litterally in a cutscene and have no control over your character. Luckily, you don't have to do the mission again, but my god this game is really buggy.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So here's another annoying bug that I've encountered at least two to three times so far. Sometimes you'll complete a mission, like a home stead mission in my case, but if there's still an enemy on the map like a wolf or random soldier that was not part of the mission you'll die in the post mission cutscene because they'll attack you while you are litterally in a cutscene and have no control over your character. Luckily, you don't have to do the mission again, but my god this game is really buggy.

The game could have done with another 6 - 8 weeks just in QA. But then the glitches aren't the only problem with ACIII and some of those require going back to the drawing board.

Yea it's true. The graphics were actually the best in AC1 I believe... but it's probably because they used all available memory for textures and had no content. I still love AC1.

It's still astounding how far we've come in 1 generation and that AC3 runs on the same tech. I've always felt Ubisoft montreal had outstanding conceptual artists, modelers and animators. But were lacking in master programmers/game designers/graphic designers. Not to say they aren't skilled... but not up to par w/ the art team.

It did run like complete shit though, especially on PS3.

The game could have done with another 6 - 8 weeks just in QA. But then the glitches aren't the only problem with ACIII and some of those require going back to the drawing board.

It did run like complete shit though, especially on PS3.

Ac1? It ran perfectly. Smooth FPS and no screen-tearing. Didn't play the PS3 version though; heard that one was bad.

It's still astounding how far we've come in 1 generation and that AC3 runs on the same tech. I've always felt Ubisoft montreal had outstanding conceptual artists, modelers and animators. But were lacking in master programmers/game designers/graphic designers. Not to say they aren't skilled... but not up to par w/ the art team.

I agree.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Ac1? It ran perfectly. Smooth FPS and no screen-tearing. Didn't play the PS3 version though; heard that one was bad.

Terrible. The fight with de Sable in particular was so bad. Maybe it was just me but the framerate tanked so bad at that point.

lunchtoast

Credits are rolling. Only played the second one but after skimming through the Desmond story online
it sounds stupid/boring. Touch orb, dead, END.

Don't know if I'll go back for platinum. I'd have to replay pretty much all the missions except for a few. Not in the mood to screw up, restart checkpoint, loading screen, repeat 20 times.

RPG

Completed the Platinum trophy on this earlier today; clocked in at 35.5 hours total. It was fun, but man did this have flaws. AC3 and Darksiders 2 have to be a close 1-2 for me this year on the highly-anticipated yet wholly underwhelming list. Maybe I was spoiled by the AC2 trilogy, but AC3 seemed to lack a lot of polish and some of the 'spirit' the previous ones had. The treasure hunting and Aquila missions were prolly the most fun for me though. As much as the King George DLC sounds interesting, I'm done with AC3.

conman

I think I'm finally gonna cash this one in. Literally. After multiple mission-breaking bugs, codex spoilers, falling through the geometry, horrible stealth mechanics, glitches galore, and one too many unexplained story jumps, I've decided this isn't just an "unpolished" game. It's a bad one.

Selling my copy. Can't believe I'm doing this for an Assassin's Creed game. I've been a massive fan of the series, and yes that even (and especially) includes the first game. I was consistently surprised by just how incredible Brotherhood and Revelations were, especially given the short turnaround time.

But AC3 is, no exaggeration, total junk. I feel like a complete dupe for buying it. I may come back in six months or so and see if they've fixed its many, many problems. But playing this game as it stands now isn't good for my heart, and it is sullying my deep appreciation for the prior games.

I've never said this about any game before, and I've been saving this phrase for just such an occasion: this is the biggest gaming disappointment ever.

PowderedToast

AC1 is regularly 20-10 FPS. one of those "wtf am i playing" ports from ps3's early life

i still play it tho cos i don't own a 360 anymore, what a sucker

Bladenic

I think I'm finally gonna cash this one in. Literally. After multiple mission-breaking bugs, codex spoilers, falling through the geometry, horrible stealth mechanics, glitches galore, and one too many unexplained story jumps, I've decided this isn't just an "unpolished" game. It's a bad one.

Selling my copy. Can't believe I'm doing this for an Assassin's Creed game. I've been a massive fan of the series, and yes that even (and especially) includes the first game. I was consistently surprised by just how incredible Brotherhood and Revelations were, especially given the short turnaround time.

But AC3 is, no exaggeration, total junk. I feel like a complete dupe for buying it. I may come back in six months or so and see if they've fixed its many, many problems. But playing this game as it stands now isn't good for my heart, and it is sullying my deep appreciation for the prior games.

I've never said this about any game before, and I've been saving this phrase for just such an occasion: this is the biggest gaming disappointment ever.

Sorry you had such a terrible experience. Nowhere near the disappointment of the forever for me but definitely one of, maybe the biggest, disappointment this year for me.

Just finished Desmond's storyline.

what-the-fuck-is-thismjlws.jpg

I am legitimately angry.

Connor's story ended awesomely. I'll get that out of the way.

But Ubi royally shit the bed with Desmond's. You guys were right the entire time. They were never gonna finish this right.

FUCK! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

ibn8T02ri3A04m.gif

images-i178599blwtd6.gif

i0LiGd9tfl08X.gif

Those are all the things I did as the credits rolled. Ubi, just don't even bother with a modern day storyline for AC4. It's clear that you're only capable of writing awesome historical stories. What a shitty ending. Worst game ending that I can remember.

Draconian

Wolfpack is a pretty awesome mode. Unfortunately it gets annoying when someone enters the game with their headset jacked all the way up and I can hear all the sound from the game on their end.

conman

Sorry you had such a terrible experience. Nowhere near the disappointment of the forever for me but definitely one of, maybe the biggest, disappointment this year for me.
The real moment that pushed me over the edge happened a few hours ago. Right after I got to the adolescent version of Connor, the codex added an updated entry for his mother. In that update, it told me something that I'm assuming is part of the game's climax:
that it wasn't Haytham and his men that burned the village, but George Washington.
Unless there was something important I missed, this is a major game ruining glitch that told me one of the big plot twists very early on. Totally ruined the plot of the game for me. A-holes.

Similarly, the codex had earlier revealed the plot twist of the early part of the game. Before I even got to the Connor section, the codex entry for Connor's mother told me that
Haytham was a Templar
. Totally blew that twist. Am I the only one that had a glitched codex? Or is this in everyone's game? Or am I just a total idiot and missed something? Judging by everything else wrong with this game, I don't think it's me.

Noi

The real moment that pushed me over the edge happened a few hours ago. Right after I got to the adolescent version of Connor, the codex added an updated entry for his mother. In that update, it told me something that I'm assuming is part of the latter parts of the game:
that it wasn't Haytham and his men that burned the village, but George Washington.
Unless there was something important I missed, this is a major game ruining glitch that told me one of the big plot twists very early on. Totally ruined the plot of the game for me.

The codex had earlier revealed the big plot twist of the early part of the game. Before I even got to the Connor section, the codex entry for Connor's mother told me that
Haytham was a Templar
. Totally blew that twist. Am I the only one that had a glitched codex? Or is this in everyone's game? Or am I just a total idiot and missed something? Judging by everything else wrong with this game, I don't think it's me.

Nope, the codex does spoil both things at that point in the game. It's ridiculous.

conman

Nope, the codex does spoil both things at that point in the game. It's ridiculous.
Seriously? How is this not the first thing that Ubisoft patched on day one?! My god. I am so done with this dick-over of a game.

Also, this is as much a failing of games reviewers as it is of Ubisoft. It's game reviewers effing job to find this stuff before we do. Combined with all the shit over Rab Florence's piece a couple weeks ago, I seriously can't believe that reviewers still gave this game a "pass" despite its inexcusable bugs and glitches. If they aren't the ones standing and guarding the gates of quality, then who is? We've all already paid for it, so it's not like we consumers can do anything.

I'm so pissed right now.

LiK

haha correct. do NOT read any UPDATED Animus entries about that person until much later in the game. I was spoiled twice by it.

conman

haha correct. do NOT read any UPDATED Animus entries about that person until much later in the game. I was spoiled twice by it.
No worries. I refuse to play any more of this POS travesty of a game. So, no, I don't think I'll be reading any entries from here on out.

My pros and cons list upon ending of the game:

Pros

- Connor's story is really good. Has great characters and IMO, Connor's a good character himself. It feels like a great historical epic. Achilles, Haytham, Lee, etc, most are great characters. I also liked some of the minor players like Lafayette and Faulkner.

- Voice acting. It's fantastic. The guy who plays Connor does a great job. The other stand-outs are Haytham, Achilles, and Charles Lee. Fantastic work from all involved.

- Combat. It frustrated me at first, but when I got the hang of it, it was really fun and visceral. The kill animations are glorious, some of the best I've seen. Connor's tomahawk and rope dart are probably two of the best weapons in the series after the hidden blade.

- The Frontier is gorgeous. Frame rate is great there, and tree climbing, hunting, etc is all very fun.

- Weather effects are really good.

- NAVAL MISSIONS ARE AMAZING, STRAIGHT UP. So fun.

- The music is great. I really loved the soundtrack.

Cons

- Desmond's story ended in the suckiest possible way. No one in Ubisoft knows how to write a proper ending it seems. They wasted the best characters in the series, and frankly... it's a shit ending. I'm sure this isn't "the end" end (there are some things that I think indicate there will be more), but honestly... it's disappointing, unsatisfactory, there's no catharsis and I feel like I wasted my time and energy investing it into Desmond's story. Connor's was the more interesting thing here.

- Lot of bugs and glitches, but it didn't bug me too much to be honest.

- Optional objectives. FUCK THAT. Not fun. I hate seeing the red text once I've failed something. Once I gave up on trying to fulfill them, I had more fun with the game.

- The UI sucks. Seriously, it was great in AC2/ACB/ACR, now you bring it up, it's slow and the entire screen goes away.

- The economy/trading/crafting system is fucked. It makes no sense. I have no idea what to do. I never used the system cause I didn't understand it at all.

- These people explain nothing. The devs have done a shit job of explaining a lot of stuff and they give no manual either. That's just a cardinal sin, not explaining how to do a whole bunch of essential shit.

I don't really like scoring games... I think it's worth playing, but seriously... temper expectations. A lot of stuff they get right, some awesome missions and a great historical story, but other stuff is infuriating.

Epcott

While playing through in a bit of binge gaming this weekend, I realize the multiplayer is fun as hell.

I still have no idea what to do with the homestead people, the explanation of how they make goods is pretty convoluted and it feels cumbersome. It seems I never have the ingredients or residents leveled up enough to make any goods, and even when I do, I have no idea what to make of it. I wish they had given instructions with this game. Feels like I'm missing out on so much.

I'm also missing the courtesans, thieves guild, and traveling bodyguards (whom I know are your assassins now). In ACIII, it just feels empty without them. Also, lack of Truth glyphs also feels weird.

Anywho, on Sequence 9... NY is proving to be tedious with the viewpoints, almanac chasing, and Washington errands.

Edit: So many damn bugs. Some are mission breaking (like when a target isn't there and you either have to die and loose all of your supplies, or restart the mission). After a ship battle, I boarded a ship and the target wasn't there. The crew mates kept saying "You need to kill some of these guys first." After killing 20 or so, I realize I slipped into another F'ing bug.

LiK

While playing through in a bit of binge gaming this weekend, I realize the multiplayer is fun as hell.

I still have no idea what to do with the homestead people, the explanation of how they make goods is pretty convoluted and it feels cumbersome. It seems I never have the ingredients or residents leveled up enough to make any goods, and even when I do, I have no idea what to make of it. I wish they had given instructions with this game. Feels like I'm missing out on so much.

I'm also missing the courtesans, thieves guild, and traveling bodyguards (whom I know are your assassins now). In ACIII, it just feels empty without them. Also, lack of Truth glyphs also feels weird.

Anywho, on Sequence 9... NY is proving to be tedious with the viewpoints, almanac chasing, and Washington errands.

me too, i never figured it out except for crafting a few items. i couldn't send convoys cuz i had none and i had no clue how to get more.

meta4

Similarly, the codex had earlier revealed the plot twist of the early part of the game. Before I even got to the Connor section, the codex entry for Connor's mother told me that
Haytham was a Templar

Lol yeah. Same thing happened to me. I saw that and when the final twist happened I was like really? Never again will I buy any game from this shitty franchise. I am done. First RE6 and now this. Worst year ever. If it were not for Okami I would not have even turned on my console for a big game.

conman

Lol yeah. Same thing happened to me. I saw that and when the final twist happened I was like really? Never again will I buy any game from this shitty franchise. I am done. First RE6 and now this. Worst year ever. If it were not for Okami I would not have even turned on my console for a big game.
Absolutely mind boggling. I can only hope that someone at Ubisoft is reading these complaints. But no matter what "fixes" they offer, they've already completely ruined the game for me. There's nothing they can do to win me back. Total jerks. The best they can hope for is to prevent other people from getting as pissed off as me.

And I really don't understand how this hasn't become a major issue in the gaming press. After all that shit over Florence-gate, and they just let this shit pass them by totally unremarked. A-holes. All of them.

one_kill

So that eavesdropping mission on sequence 3... ugh.

Also, gotta love it when you're trying to run away and all you hit are things you can't climb. This game is so much fun!

dreamfall

My pros and cons list upon ending of the game:

- Optional objectives. FUCK THAT. Not fun. I hate seeing the red text once I've failed something. Once I gave up on trying to fulfill them, I had more fun with the game.

I agree with everything you've posted, almost to the point of me posting the same list with different words (perhaps I'll truly echo your statements when I finish, but we tend to agree on things!).

But this stands out the most to me- when I finally just stopped doing them (or feeling obligated to attempt them, only ending in frustration) the game felt so much better/less restrictive. Why must the the developers suggestively direct my experience by providing these ridiculous objectives? I asked earlier but am still wondering if 100% gives me new memories, like that in Brotherhood. Because I really found that tiresome- you throw me into this world, you give me tools to experiment with, and then tell me how I'm to approach the mission? FUCK that!

I know- most will say don't attempt them. But it's hard not to with the threatening RED TEXT explaining the FAIL. I've always loved the series, but have had serious qualms with their idea of 100% synch of a memory. If it was for an achievement only fine- but if it is for unlocking content, please NO!

Noi

I agree with everything you've posted, almost to the point of me posting the same list with different words (perhaps I'll truly echo your statements when I finish, but we tend to agree on things!).

But this stands out the most to me- when I finally just stopped doing them (or feeling obligated to attempt them, only ending in frustration) the game felt so much better/less restrictive. Why must the the developers suggestively direct my experience by providing these ridiculous objectives? I asked earlier but am still wondering if 100% gives me new memories, like that in Brotherhood. Because I really found that tiresome- you throw me into this world, you give me tools to experiment with, and then tell me how I'm to approach the mission? FUCK that!

I know- most will say don't attempt them. But it's hard not to with the threatening RED TEXT explaining the FAIL. I've always loved the series, but have had serious qualms with their idea of 100% synch of a memory. If it was for an achievement only fine- but if it is for unlocking content, please NO!

What makes me curious is, while playing through ACIII:Liberation now, that one also has Optional Objectives, but gives you a LOT more freedom as to how to do them. I don't know if that'll change later, but the Memory I'm at now simply has a condition of "Use all three of your personas during the mission." That's it. And even the ones that have required stealth aren't nearly as awful due to AC:L actually giving me the tools to properly take out opponents without everyone knowing where I am.

So if Liberation, a game that had a smaller budget and less dev allocation (I assume) than ACIII did managed to do it fine, why couldn't ACIII?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game, and all I have to say is "lol."

Man. I don't know what to say. I mean, the game is fun. There is definitely enjoyment to be had here. But it is coated with a layer of shit and frustration that ensures you come away from it feeling dirty and disgusted. The chase in Sequence 12 pissed me off because I kept insta-failing it. I didn't know where to go after a certain point, and since it's kind of on a timer I kept failing it until I looked it up online. This kind of thing happens multiple times throughout the game - you're supposed to do something, you don't know how you're supposed to do it, and in the end it just frustrates you. So while 80% of the game is fun, I had moments of extreme gamer rage that I haven't felt in a very long time.

The optional missions are also completely fucked. I gave up on doing the optional missions back in Brotherhood when I had to restart entire levels because the checkpoint system is just plain silly. I was surprised to see that it's even worse in AC3. I mean I have no idea how or why some people would go through the trouble of doing some of these optional missions, they just seem so painful.

But more damning is the fact that the missions aren't designed around the game's mechanics. I feel like there are two versions of Assassin's Creed III: the game the developers wanted to make, and the game they did make. Some of the missions ask you not to get spotted, but when your AI is so erratic and unpredictable that it's hard to judge how they will react to certain actions, that becomes a case of frustrating trial and error. Some of the missions ask you to get somewhere within a certain time, but when your character has supreme trouble running in a straight line without trying to climb every vertical piece of solid matter, that becomes a problem.

And then you have the notoriety system, which I think is the single absolute dumbest thing Ubisoft could have put in this game. This little system absolutely discourages you from doing anything that would raise your notoriety because that just makes everything else in the game more difficult. "Ooh look, a side mission to kill tax collectors in Boston! Pretty cool! Oh wait, that'll raise my notoriety, which will mean I will have to run around trying to find posters to rip down. Screw that, I'll just go do the story mission." That happened to me multiple times, and I basically avoided the vast majority of side quests in this game because I didn't want to have to deal with increased notoriety.

And the ending was... I don't even know what to say. I didn't hate it, but it's so obviously a set-up for AC4. But then again that's how all the AC games have ended so at least it's consistent. To be fair I think they at least have a better handle on the modern-day plot and where the story is going from here than they did in the entirety of the Ezio trilogy.

Anyway I wrote a hell of a lot about this game, but overall I did enjoy it. I'm also glad that I only had to rent it from Redbox rather than buy it, because I can't see myself going through this game again.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
ilnadmy, I think you're quite generous in saying that 80% of the game was fun. I would give a much lower percentage. :p

Haha. I also just basically played straight through all the story missions, I didn't bother with any of the side stuff. I basically enjoyed most of what I played, but I will admit that none of it was particularly new or genre-bending. It was all stuff we've seen in prior AC games.

Help! I'm in sequence 11 now but I only have a few of the homestead artisans, ad they're all level 1. I always did every homestead mission I could find on the map, but there were very few and I haven't seen any for a long time now.

Is my game glitched or did I just miss something? The former wouldn't surprise me since it has bugged out on me in many different ways already. :(

I checked some guides and it seems like there should have been way more homestead missions than what I got. Also apparently you can't go back and do the ones you missed, which sucks ass.

edit: I also only have one assassin recruit, the French guy. What the hell am I doing wrong here.

This game is the worst, right? And it gets much worse after that...
No worries. I refuse to play any more of this POS travesty of a game. So, no, I don't think I'll be reading any entries from here on out.

You're so dramatic.

It feels like a lot of you got to loosen up a bit christ. The game has some problems but, come on...
ilnadmy, I think you're quite generous in saying that 80% of the game was fun. I would give a much lower percentage. :p

This is the best AC game. Since we have to speak in 'matter-of-facts'.

XAL

So what is going on with the PC Deluxe versions?

UBI: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_...rder&utm_campaign=6232_f_ass3_usa_cm_20121108
AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L3SHGC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
STEAM: http://store.steampowered.com/app/208480/
GAMESTOP: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/assassins-creed-iii-digital-deluxe-edition/103132

So:
UBISOFT + STEAM: Season Pass, 4 bonus missions, 25 songs from soundtrack, george washington's journal .pdf
AMAZON + GAMESTOP: 3 bonus missions, 2 bonus multiplayer characters, 2 bonus singleplayer skins

I thought the skins/weapons and MP characters came with all versions...?

televator

Help! I'm in sequence 11 now but I only have a few of the homestead artisans, ad they're all level 1. I always did every homestead mission I could find on the map, but there were very few and I haven't seen any for a long time now.

Is my game glitched or did I just miss something? The former wouldn't surprise me since it has bugged out on me in many different ways already. :(

I checked some guides and it seems like there should have been way more homestead missions than what I got. Also apparently you can't go back and do the ones you missed, which sucks ass.

edit: I also only have one assassin recruit, the French guy. What the hell am I doing wrong here.

Same story here. Much of this game makes me say "Ubi, I don't understand you game. How do I shot web. lol!" Fundamental things just weren't explained.

iNvid02

I think they are all the same but due to some of the changes being recent such as season pass inclusion, not everyone has listing up to date

Guys.... now you are scaring me of finishing the game :\

I mean Desmond story were and still one of the main reasons why I got hooked to the series... oh no please don't let me down :(

Guys.... now you are scaring me of finishing the game :\

I mean Desmond story were and still one of the main reasons why I got hooked to the series... oh no please don't let me down :(

I enjoyed the Desmond story and thought the ending wasn't so bad. It's basically what I expected, so it's not great, but wasn't as bad as people make it seem. It did seem like an odd choice though...

I did really detest the Mass Effect ending however.
I liked Desmond's story but the ending was pretty meh.

Yea it was there and was an ending. Nothing special, nothing terrible though. It left the world out in a much more interesting place then I thought they would though (after all the complaints I read)... I'm interested to see how they explain it and make it more sensible.

But I really liked Connor's story ending though, thought it was perfect and they give a lot of closure as well.

This is how I feel, it's not the best in every single area but it's my favourite overall.

*brofist*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Only in act 11 right now but AC3 is my favorite in the series as well. They did drop the ball in some aspects but I feel like every game has had fuck ups.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One question. Did canoes get cut? Cause I don't remember seeing one at all, even though I saw them in pictures before the game came out.

Yeah. I honestly don't see how they would have even worked, there's not expansive enough sections of water to give them much purpose.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So what are your guys' favorite bugs from this game? My favorite has got to be when I was doing an all-stealth mission and was just about to exit the mission area when a guard spotted me, complete with the triangle above his head turning red. However instead of running towards me, he turns around and runs in the exact opposite direction from me. I was pretty confused so I continued watching him, and he just kept running and running and running until he disappeared from view. Connor is such a badass.

one_kill

You're so dramatic.

It feels like a lot of you got to loosen up a bit christ. The game has some problems but, come on...

This is the best AC game. Since we have to speak in 'matter-of-facts'.
I think you need to understand that people have their own feelings and opinions towards the game. You may not agree with all of them, but they're a reality.

I also like how you perceived my opinion as having a "matter of fact" tone.

Alfredo

It's kinda weird, but I'm having much more fun with Assassin's Creed 3 since I've finished the game. After finishing the story, I started getting into the other systems of the game. I finally understand the trade and craft systems, I finished all the Homestead missions, now I'm collecting all collectibles.

Finding the feathers is actually kind of fun. I was pretty disappointed by the lack of viewpoints in AC3, 'cause the viewpoints in the old games were sort of like mini-puzzles. It seems that those puzzles have been transplanted to the feathers, and it's just lots of fun to run through all the tree paths in the frontier.

I also just started the Captain Kidd missions, and they seem like they'll be fun, too.

Top Bottom