• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

televator

So what are your guys' favorite bugs from this game? My favorite has got to be when I was doing an all-stealth mission and was just about to exit the mission area when a guard spotted me, complete with the triangle above his head turning red. However instead of running towards me, he turns around and runs in the exact opposite direction from me. I was pretty confused so I continued watching him, and he just kept running and running and running until he disappeared from view. Connor is such a badass.

"Douche bag horse"

I'm ridding on a horse when I come across a fort. I think, "Wow, I wanna kill everyone inside." So I get off the horse and proceed to stealthily murder my way toward claiming the fort... only that I notice the horse is really starting to spazz out and is now following me.

I tried to hide in some bushes before getting spotted by the enemy, but the horse straight up shoves me out of cover like a total douche. So now I get spotted and enter an open fight with every guard in the fort...err... so I tried. Goddam horse kept shoving me in the middle of the fight. So now as I'm getting forced into stumbling animations the guards are free to pound me like a pinata. I still managed to kill everyone, but even as I tried to loot bodies and set the explosives in the fort, the horse continued to mad dog shove me. What a prick! I wish I could kill that horse. It damn well knew what it was doing.

I think you need to understand that people have their own feelings and opinions towards the game. You may not agree with all of them, but they're a reality.

I also like how you perceived my opinion as having a "matter of fact" tone.

Yea, I don't mind opinions or criticisms. But the internet melodrama just gets old and I'm talking about the majority of threads in gaf, it's all to the extreme. I think I'm just getting too old for it... Also I wasn't singling you out on that comment, sorry.

"Douche bag horse"

I'm ridding on a horse when I come across a fort. I think, "Wow, I wanna kill everyone inside." So I get off the horse and proceed to stealthily murder my way toward claiming the fort... only that I notice the horse is really starting to spazz out and is now following me.

I tried to hide in some bushes before getting spotted by the enemy, but the horse straight up shoves me out of cover like a total douche. So now I get spotted and enter an open fight with every guard in the fort...err... so I tried. Goddam horse kept shoving me in the middle of the fight. So now as I'm getting forced into stumbling animations the guards are free to pound me like a pinata. I still managed to kill everyone, but even as I tried to loot bodies and set the explosives in the fort, the horse continued to mad dog shove me. What a prick! I wish I could kill that horse. It damn well knew what it was doing.

Yea dat horse doesn't like to help out. And it sucks I found out about the saddle bags at the end, it's actually really damn useful...

It's kinda weird, but I'm having much more fun with Assassin's Creed 3 since I've finished the game. After finishing the story, I started getting into the other systems of the game. I finally understand the trade and craft systems, I finished all the Homestead missions, now I'm collecting all collectibles.

Finding the feathers is actually kind of fun. I was pretty disappointed by the lack of viewpoints in AC3, 'cause the viewpoints in the old games were sort of like mini-puzzles. It seems that those puzzles have been transplanted to the feathers, and it's just lots of fun to run through all the tree paths in the frontier.

I also just started the Captain Kidd missions, and they seem like they'll be fun, too.

I was thinking it's actually for a reason why the frontier is not fully exposed through viewpoints. I think it helps in assisting the player to see where they haven't been yet physically, it helps a lot when trying to find all the animals in an area. You can't find a certain type and look at your map and see where you haven't been. But they could have had a work around that problem
Only in act 11 right now but AC3 is my favorite in the series as well. They did drop the ball in some aspects but I feel like every game has had fuck ups.

*respect*

I'm starting a small band of assassins that actually enjoy this game, you should join! Haha... this is sad.

So what are your guys' favorite bugs from this game? My favorite has got to be when I was doing an all-stealth mission and was just about to exit the mission area when a guard spotted me, complete with the triangle above his head turning red. However instead of running towards me, he turns around and runs in the exact opposite direction from me. I was pretty confused so I continued watching him, and he just kept running and running and running until he disappeared from view. Connor is such a badass.

Hate to be so damn positive all the time. But I actually did not encounter any serious bugs on my playthrough, except the god awful stealth sections -- if they can be considered bugs. But I did have a shitton of graphical problems, spikes. Spikes everywhere.

Bleh, credits are rolling. What a mess. This game went back and forth from "hell yeah" to "what the hell" several times for me. I really wanted it to be perfect, or at least less broken. :(

Pyccko

More of a glitch than a bug, but it was still great. Swimming across some godawfully huge lake I fell into for like 5 minutes, see a shore FINALLY WOO LETS GO. Dude sitting on a rock on the beach fucking LEAPS OFF IT INTO THE WATER AND DIES just as I'm coming out. Just stood and stared at the ripples for a minute.

I'm only on Sequence 6. Finishing this game is going to be one of my most painful gaming experiences ever. This game is hot, unfinished trash.

Assassin's Creed is dead.

Nah man, next years game will be less broken and everyone will come running back like bitches. Including me.

No next years will be more broken and everyone will reminisce about the "polish" of AC3. Like ACR!

ACR to me is like what people are saying AC3 is to them. It was so goddam broken... everything... and every 20 minutes in that game, every citizen would have a texture spike shooting from their head. And that framerate, popin, screen-tearing (worse I've ever seen), textures not loading properly... it was pretty bad.

FreeMufasa

Woah.......this is my first time looking in this thread after launch and I'm really suprised. A lot of negativity. I can't play it till next year so I'll see then.

Dawg

Yea it's true. The graphics were actually the best in AC1 I believe... but it's probably because they used all available memory for textures and had no content. I still love AC1.

It's still astounding how far we've come in 1 generation and that AC3 runs on the same tech. I've always felt Ubisoft montreal had outstanding conceptual artists, modelers and animators. But were lacking in master programmers/game designers/graphic designers. Not to say they aren't skilled... but not up to par w/ the art team.

You know, I actually liked the fact that AC1 was like "just kill that fucker in that castle. I don't care HOW you do it, but kill him"

You could walk through the front door and murder the bastard, but you could also infiltrate through the castle walls and stealth kill every guard. It felt so awesome.

I'm not even starting on the awesome Crusader era and the fact that templars actually were templars in that age. Attacking those elite knights, so awesome.

SJRB

Gold Member
Nah man, next years game will be less broken and everyone will come running back like bitches. Including me.

Of course, I will be there day 1 like I have been with every other entry in the series. I love the franchise and the concept is beyond intruiging. And let's get one thing straight - Ubisoft did a lot of things right with the franchise. Which makes it even more unfortunate that ACIII turned out so extremely polarizing - the good things are great, the bad things are beyond terrible. There is no middle ground in this game.

At points it truly felt like the game hated me and wanted me to quit. It is not a user-friendly experience at all.

All I can hope is that they are working on next-gen iterations so they can finally have the hardware to support their ambition, because clearly the series has outgrown current-gen consoles.

Jacob4815

Woah.......this is my first time looking in this thread after launch and I'm really suprised. A lot of negativity. I can't play it till next year so I'll see then.

Yep, i'm feeling the same way.
I can't play AC3 till december, but now i'm seriously worried...
The general reaction in this thread is shocking, it looks like the worst game in the history and complete rubbish.

The general reaction in this thread is shocking, it looks like the worst game in the history and complete rubbish.

It's not the worst game ever, but it's definitely a contender for worst AC game in history. I'd still put it over AC1, but the Ezio trilogy is just miles better.

It's really not the worst game ever. There is lots of genuinely awesome stuff in there. But then there is also lots of fucked up stuff that made me almost forget about the awesome stuff.

Slair

Pulling a wanted poster down then falling through the floor into oblivion.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Company puts out bad game that should force consumers to vote with their wallets.. consumers line up to be spoonfed shit for next year as well.

This is why game design these days is on a one year cycle of disaster. =(

Replicant

So far I'm not enjoying this much. Maybe I'm just not fond of the background subject: American Revolution (sorry Americans!). I just find it boring and tedious in comparison to the non-specific events in AC2, ACB, and ACR.

It doesn't help that Connor is completely devoid of the charm and commanding presence that Ezio had in his trilogy. I don't really like how he got angry so easily. I guess it's understandable considering his position but it doesn't make him that fun to hear.

megalowho

Company puts out bad game that should force consumers to vote with their wallets.. consumers line up to be spoonfed shit for next year as well.

This is why game design these days is on a one year cycle of disaster. =(
It's flawed for sure, but I'll echo the posts above in saying that AC3 is not a bad game. There is fun to be had, the series still feels like time travel when things are clicking. No one else comes close to delivering an experience like that. Makes the missteps more pronounced, but if you can still enjoy a flawed but interesting and sometimes exhilarating game for what it is I don't see why a boycott would be in order.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's flawed for sure, but I'll echo the posts above in saying that AC3 is not a bad game. There is fun to be had, the series still feels like time travel when things are clicking. No one else comes close to delivering an experience like that. Makes the missteps more pronounced, but if you can still enjoy a flawed but interesting and sometimes exhilarating game for what it is I don't see why a boycott would be in order.

I've stated in other threads I enjoy what AC tries to do. I jumped into 2 (skipped 1, knew it was a bad game from day one) and enjoyed it enough to platinum it but also realized I was playing for the setting, not the actual gameplay, which is quite bad. So I rightfully skipped the BH and Rev because I knew it was a retread of the same setting with added systems. Now 3 comes along and I definitely want to try it because, again, the setting is the only thing that appeals to me. It's unique. But I knew not to day one this game (or any game lol) because of exactly this. Clearly it's not what people were expecting, BUT, because so many people buy into it day one it sends the message to Ubi that we don't care.

My point was basically, stop day one-ing a game/series if you're not happy with what the game dev is doing. Wait a bit, buy it used, let them know in the only real way they understand - sales.

edit: actually, since I haven't played the last 2 entries, I forgot the impact the multiplayer has. From what I've played in the demos/seen the mp is actually quite competent and I can't discount some people buying the games for that alone. But that shouldn't excuse technical bugs either way.

conman

You're so dramatic.

It feels like a lot of you got to loosen up a bit christ. The game has some problems but, come on...
Not really. You have to understand just how much I like the prior AC games. AC1 is one of my favorite all-time games, and ACB and ACR aren't far behind. And AC2 is no slouch either. I've spent a lot of time writing about and defending AC1 over the years, and I've more recently been writing a lot about and defending ACR from its detractors, as well.

Point being, I feel like I have a lot personally invested in the series. And I feel like I understand it very well (technically, mechanically, historically, thematically, etc). When I originally wrote my "guide" for playing without the minimap in AC1, I didn't realize at the time how much it would come to define my experience of the rest of the series. It's a series that "speaks to me," as they say.

So when AC3 seems determined at every turn to piss in my face, I take it a little personally. Its handful of great moments (and they do exist) are utterly shattered by its frequent mind-rattlingly bad moments. It's like attending your own private concert of your favorite musician, but a person next to you is talking on their cell phone the whole time and keeps knocking your beer into your lap. Oh, and also the beer is boiling and filled with razors, and you can't kick the person out because it's the musician's elderly mother. It completely ruins what would otherwise be an amazing experience. I'm out.

megalowho

My point was basically, stop day one-ing a game/series if you're not happy with what the game dev is doing. Wait a bit, buy it used, let them know in the only real way they understand - sales.

It is a pretty good example for self control over blind buying at launch and getting swept up hype. Personally I wish I'd at least waited for PC, there's a chance that alone might solve some significant issues. Just didn't want it being defined in absolutes when YMMV, even with my own frustrations I still think there's a lot they did right that's worth seeing.

I'm a huge fan of AC II and AC Brotherhood. I'm still early on in Assassin's Creed III, but so far:

- Lots of bugs (some even caused me to restart missions because the next task/goal would not get triggered)
- The game suffers from the Metal Gear Solid syndrome - the series keeps the same old mechanics, only refreshing/adding a thing or two from one game to the next, without changing the core mechanics. In the end, the gameplay feels like a dated and rigid mess. At this point, I wish someone had the balls to reboot the series because success makes people afraid of change and that's how gaming dies.
- It's nice to depict Amerindians in a respectful/non-sensationalistic way, but why did Ubisoft depict British troops as idiotic, savage brutes with cartoon-villain voices? If Ubisoft wants to make me hate them, that's a pretty shitty way to do it.
- Why are everybody's eyes completely black?
- The female character who helps the hero is attractive
- Bad graphics (I've played the previous episodes on PC and playing AC III on PS3 makes my eyes bleed)
- The prologue is fucking looooooooooooong (I haven't even finished it yet)
- The menus are ugly
- GIVE US MORE FUCKING CHECKPOINTS, DAMMIT
- The United States are ugly, I want Italy back
- Fuck QTEs
- I hate failing entire missions for being discovered
- The hero is one suave motherfucker
- The narration is TEDIOUS and uninspired. It fails to keep me entertained and I'm not even sure it's better than the (boring) AC Revelations.
- I shouldn't have played AC III along with Catherine. The gap in originality, freshness, narration and graphic quality makes Ubisoft's game look terrible.

For such a high-budget game, I'm disappointed so far.

conman

megalowho said:
It is a pretty good example for self control over blind buying at launch and getting swept up hype.

Given the history of the series, I've never trusted many people's opinions on these games. Also, I wasn't reading this thread for fear of spoiling anything (ironic, since reading this thread might have prevented me from reading the spoilers in the game itself).

But, man, I wish I had read this thread carefully ahead of time. I feel like a total dupe for buying this game in its current state.

I'm an expert

It is a pretty good example for self control over blind buying at launch and getting swept up hype. Personally I wish I'd at least waited for PC, there's a chance that alone might solve some significant issues. Just didn't want it being defined in absolutes when YMMV, even with my own frustrations I still think there's a lot they did right that's worth seeing.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it because I know what I'm getting from it. It just sucks that games like this are what sell 3.5 mil copies in a week while games like X-Com, Dishonored, insert whatever here do fairly poorly in the grand scheme of things. I'll admit though, if you played the Ezio trilogy, there's really no reason you'd expect this game to be worse than them. That is of course unless you're a GAFer..in which case you know it was separate teams working on them and the 3 team probably had very little influence from outside their bubble.

Bricky

- Bad graphics (I've played the previous episodes on PC and playing AC III on PS3 makes my eyes bleed)

Of course the games look better on PC, not really a valid complaint. I'm a PC-gamer too, but find the graphics quite impressive having played only the PS3-versions of the AC-games.

Of course the games look better on PC, not really a valid complaint. I'm a PC-gamer too, but find the graphics quite impressive having played only the PS3-versions of the AC-games.
I've played console games that were much prettier (Hell, even Assassin's Creed 1, which I did play on PS3).

Also, if Ubisoft doesn't want me to complain about bad graphics, don't delay your PC version.

Wix

AC3_SC_SP_19_Frontier_Canoe_ONLINE.jpg

Anyone found a canoe?

Eideka

Banned

The game does not look awful by any stretch but I've got to admit it's a step down if you have played previous entries on a decent PC.

AC3 on consoles is full of jaggies and the IQ is laughable.

But that's ok, the PC version is on its way and those problems will he solved.
By the way, AC 3 on PC supports TXAA. I don't believe MSAA will be implemented (given the shift to a full deferred renderer) but a high quality FXAA is likely.

Derrick01

Banned

They were good in spots, especially the frontier, but too often the graphics and scale came at the expense of a playable framerate which should be one of the worst sins you can commit in making a game but no one seems to care on consoles anymore.

emag

I'm a huge fan of AC II and AC Brotherhood. I'm still early on in Assassin's Creed III, but so far:

With all due respect, apart from the bugs, it's far too early for you to judge the game. You'll reevaluate those points once you spend some time as the guy on the front cover.

Replicant

I hate hate HATE the stupid war simulation. Why is it so many games these days want to emulate the CoD/MW bullshit?

I agree with the poster who said that American Revolution looks fugly. Give me back Italy and Istanbul. The wilderness looks boring after the first few hours.

Connor is such a tool. He claims to not want to be a tool that is being used by others and yet he ends up being nothing but that. Such an annoying and pathetic protagonist.

Katori

Whoever mentioned XCOM selling poorly--I don't think that it did. I think XCOM probably overperformed. 70k concurrent Steam users playing is nothing to balk at, when you add at least 100k retail sales (NPD).

OT, I don't see why anyone likes Connor so much. He feels like a total bonehead to me, very singular and revenge-minded and doesn't care about his Brotherhood at all.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone found a canoe?

Nope.

I was looking through the screenshots released leading up to this game and was planning on doing a "look at these screenshots Ubi released and how all of this is NOT in the final game" kind of post, but why bother. The screenshots, the E3 gameplay demonstration, the Gamescom stuff. All of it was staged to make the game look much, much better [both graphically and technically] than it actually was.

I know it, you know it, Ubi knows it, the game media know it and yet here we are.

massoluk

Banned
Well, I'm still going to buy it on PC and hope for the best despite all these bad impression. :\

Sorry if this has been asked before, what's the verdict on deluxe edition's extra missions? Worth the money?

conman

Graphics of AC 3 are actually quite good
The visuals (including the framerate) are also quite uneven... which is pretty much the keyword to describe the entire game.

This deserved to be a fall 2013 release. Rather than being slaves to the game's built-in countdown clock (December 2012), they should have taken the more creative route of doing a post-December 2012 game. Could have been interesting to have jumped to like 2015 and done an animus visit to the past (Desmond and co. in late 2012). The development team could then have taken the time they needed to truly finish this game properly. I mean, we all know they're going to keep making these games anyway, well past the 2012 deadline. So why couldn't they give this another 6-8 months of gestation?

Either that, or they should have held off on using a new engine and just stuck to what they already had. It was a great engine. I don't know why they scrapped it. This new engine isn't ready yet for prime time. Save it for next gen.

iNvid02

Well, I'm still going to buy it on PC and hope for the best despite all these bad impression. :\

Sorry if this has been asked before, what's the verdict on deluxe edition's extra missions? Worth the money?

just some pre-order fluff, but it also has the season pass and soundtrack. i can vouch for the soundtrack its pretty good, but the 5 dlc packs the pass covers could be terrible, or they might end up being better than the game itself, nobody knows.

Omni

Stopped playing for a few days because of Halo 4 and came back to it tonight... Still not feeling the love. It just seems like a massive step back in comparison to the other games. Those oversimplified controls are frustrating too.

Disappointing really.

Top Bottom