• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

It boggles my mind that modern games still have the issue of overly repeated voice clips. Every time it happens, it INSTANTLY breaks the illusion of the game world. It couldn't have been that much more expensive or difficult to give the orphans in ACIII like 8 different voice clips instead of 2, right?

The mission where you're aiming the cannon was also really bad in this respect.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It boggles my mind that modern games still have the issue of overly repeated voice clips. Every time it happens, it INSTANTLY breaks the illusion of the game world. It couldn't have been that much more expensive or difficult to give the orphans in ACIII like 8 different voice clips instead of 2, right?

You have my everlasting gratitude sir.

I agree with everything you've posted, almost to the point of me posting the same list with different words (perhaps I'll truly echo your statements when I finish, but we tend to agree on things!).

But this stands out the most to me- when I finally just stopped doing them (or feeling obligated to attempt them, only ending in frustration) the game felt so much better/less restrictive. Why must the the developers suggestively direct my experience by providing these ridiculous objectives? I asked earlier but am still wondering if 100% gives me new memories, like that in Brotherhood. Because I really found that tiresome- you throw me into this world, you give me tools to experiment with, and then tell me how I'm to approach the mission? FUCK that!

I know- most will say don't attempt them. But it's hard not to with the threatening RED TEXT explaining the FAIL. I've always loved the series, but have had serious qualms with their idea of 100% synch of a memory. If it was for an achievement only fine- but if it is for unlocking content, please NO!

Yeah, the optional objectives are really killing the game for me. When I go back to it I'll probably just ignore them.

Carbonox

I'm going back to get 100% sync on every mission but the biggest pain in the arse is the one where you save that prick from the river without touching the water. How do you do it? I'm not quick enough at all. Fucking dumb and those cunting wolves.

GAMERG0D

I'm going back to get 100% sync on every mission but the biggest pain in the arse is the one where you save that prick from the river without touching the water. How do you do it? I'm not quick enough at all. Fucking dumb and those cunting wolves.

Just try to run as fast as you can. It only took me half a dozen tries.

Epcott

I agree with you guys.

When you attempt to go for 100% synch by doing optional objections, the game is torture due to the sporadic AI, horrible camera, and "I want to run up the wall for no reason when you're trying to hide or elude" game play.

When I let go and just played the game instead of becoming a perfectionist, it was a tad bit more enjoyable.

There's features that you would think be more streamlined in this game in comparison to predecessors, that actually feel implemented much worse:

• Counter pausing is a little jarring. I thought it was part of tutorial but nope.

• Building a brotherhood in ACII by saving citizens when they need help is a chore here. In ACIII you do Liberation contracts and mission after mission, or just visit his dwelling for pointless idle chatter, then a final civil unrest mission just to get ONE measly guy added to your group. It's also never explained to you whether they can die in missions or when you call on their aid. So you'd be too afraid to use them after you acquire them, because it only lists 6 or 7 slots of people you get. What?

• Fast travel: When you materialize after loading, it ALWAYS faces you in the wrong direction of where you intended to go. Also, the boat is the ultimate fast travel. Fast travel hot spot jumping can be tedious.

More of a glitch than a bug, but it was still great. Swimming across some godawfully huge lake I fell into for like 5 minutes, see a shore FINALLY WOO LETS GO. Dude sitting on a rock on the beach fucking LEAPS OFF IT INTO THE WATER AND DIES just as I'm coming out. Just stood and stared at the ripples for a minute.

I saw this while swimming to a light house. Scared the hell out of me. I'm not sure if it was glitch, but the man just vanished when jumping into the water. On that note, I hope in the inevitable future AC assailants can swim after you. It makes the game much more laughable when you realize all you need to do is jump to a small island or boat to get away.

Also, all the talk of the ending really bugs me. Ubi made such a big deal as why they rushed to release in Nov 2013 due to the 2012 story conclusion. And now you guys are saying Desmond's story doesn't conclude. I guess I saw it coming, but I'm also a little disappointed in them.

Am I insane, or does the game always set a custom marker off in the middle of nowhere after you've cleared something you had marked previously?

SJRB

Gold Member
Am I insane, or does the game always set a custom marker off in the middle of nowhere after you've cleared something you had marked previously?

You are not insane, it does that ALL the time for no reason whatsoever. At the start I thought the game was guiding me towards some secret or point of interest or something, but it's just a [super random] glitch.

Epcott

The counter-pausing is because the game is waiting for input. It needs to know if you want to attack, disarm, or throw.

Ah, I see. It's still a bit strange every time I see it.

How exactly do you throw? Nearly 10 sequences in and I saw it flash on the screen once but missed how to execute it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Well you would have to load those 8 voice clips for every character into ram, which is so incredibly low right now that every KB matters.

Well you would have to load those 8 voice clips for every character into ram, which is so incredibly low right now that every KB matters.

"YOU HAVE MY EVERLASTING GRATITUDE SIR".

Doing the courier missions where it appears every single person does the same response as above gets grating pretty quickly nevertheless. I never really saw the audio buffering from a ram POV before. With streaming etc I wasn't aware that stuff like some audio variables could make it so tight. Interesting stuff!

jett

D-Member
Welp.

I'm on chapter 6, I just spent 4 hours simply messing around the Frontier in Episode 6. Game achieved God-tier status. The gorgeous environments, fun side-missions, skinning wolves, wrasslin' bears, jumping through the trees, the animation, it all blends magnificently. Then I decide to go to Boston and the framerate took the expected dive. :/ I don't want to say it's unplayable in the city, but it's borderline. There's something just fucked up here, the game takes these second-long and inexplicable nosedive stutters every once in a while, before resuming the usual but still crap framerate. Ubisoft needs to patch this crap somehow.

And can someone explain Achilles "find the common man" mission? Every guy I "analyze" turns out to be a wrong target or whatever.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Welp.

I'm on chapter 6, I just spent 4 hours simply messing around the Frontier in Episode 6. Game achieved God-tier status. The gorgeous environments, fun side-missions, skinning wolves, wrasslin' bears, jumping through the trees, the animation, it all blends magnificently. Then I decide to go to Boston and the framerate took the expected dive. :/ I don't want to say it's unplayable in the city, but it's borderline. There's something just fucked up here, the game takes these second-long and inexplicable nosedive stutters every once in a while, before resuming the usual but still crap framerate. Ubisoft needs to patch this crap somehow.

And can someone explain Achilles "find the common man" mission? Every guy I "analyze" turns out to be a wrong target or whatever.

You have to analyze them when they're doing an activity like chopping wood. They show up on the map as initials.

jett

D-Member
You have to analyze them when they're doing an activity like chopping wood. They show up on the map as initials.

Hmm okay, thanks There's not showing up though, I hope it's because it'searly morning and not cuz the game's fucked up, you never know with AC3.

I also found out some forts and I don't quite understand why is Connor raising up American flags at this point in time...and hell the game marks the patriots as my enemies to boot.

televator

Welp.

I still don't even know how to analyze people for it.

Edit: There are several things I don't know how to do in this game. I suppose I can look up tutorials on YT, but fuck you Ubi. Last game I had to look up for fundamental crap due to poor game implementation/explanation was ME3... and that game left me damn tired of that kind of crap.

Noi

I also found out some forts and I don't quite understand why is Connor raising up American flags at this point in time...and hell the game marks the patriots as my enemies to boot.

That was me at that same point in the game. I still don't have an answer to either, and the latter never goes away even after you've allied with the patriots.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Welp.

You have to catch them doing certain chores around the property. Some chores aren't even there in the beginning, because you build up there residences with homefront missions.

But, for instance, if you see a farmer tending the beehives, that's a good time to get them. Or the hunter cooking on a spit. It's actually kind of neat, imo. A little tedious, but I like to take in the atmosphere, and they have so many cool animations/routines for the residents that it's fun to watch them all.

There's also a log in the manor to help you keep track of what you need/have done.

It will have to be a character that's "named" on the minimap for it to work (no generic characters) and it has to be in the right context. Sometimes it looks like they're doing a "chore" and it's not one that you actually need. So, experiment, and consult the log.

I still don't even know how to analyze people for it.
Hold down LT (on the 360).

You can also Eagle Vision to see if what they're doing is scannable (they will be golden).

You can Fast Travel to reset people somewhat to look for new activities.

Dashboard reset to start the day over (there are no scans at night).

Don't do this during winter, you'll waste your time.

Don't scan Lance if he's with another person (it'll glitch both character's counts).

Noi

Don't forget another important thing.

You can't use Eagle Vision unless you're standing still. I'd like to meet and smack the person responsible for that oversight.

vladdamad

Well, I just finished the homestead missions, and that was friggin fantastic. Why couldn't the main story be as emotional, as funny, as touching? The speech really got to me, as well, so inspirational... The captain kidd missions were fantastic as well. I honestly have no idea what went wrong with the main campaign, the side quests are truly amazing

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't forget another important thing.

You can't use Eagle Vision unless you're standing still. I'd like to meet and smack the person responsible for that oversight.

Blame Revelations which did that.

Anyway Dave and I did work on Wolfpack. Won about 10 of the 15 or so rounds we played. Problem is I'm not sure what map I'm missing a win on since the challenge to unlock wins for all the Wolfpack maps seems to not have been given to me. Woe.

televator

Hold down LT (on the 360).

You can also Eagle Vision to see if what they're doing is scannable (they will be golden).

You can Fast Travel to reset people somewhat to look for new activities.

Dashboard reset to start the day over (there are no scans at night).

Don't do this during winter, you'll waste your time.

Don't scan Lance if he's with another person (it'll glitch both character's counts).

No, I get the button mapping and thanks for taking the time, but I'm confused as to when the appropriate time is for it. I can't just scan homesteaders whenever? Well shit.

Noi

Blame Revelations which did that.

Anyway Dave and I did work on Wolfpack. Won about 10 of the 15 or so rounds we played. Problem is I'm not sure what map I'm missing a win on since the challenge to unlock wins for all the Wolfpack maps seems to not have been given to me. Woe.

No wonder, Rev is the one game I didn't play, so a lot of ACIII is jarring coming right from Brotherhood. It's especially annoying when you can leave Eagle Vision while moving, but you can't go into it while standing still.

Combine that with the game somehow expecting you to naturally assume that Connor as a kid is capable of using Eagle Vision (which he can, as I found out last night), and I didn't figure out that Connor could already use it until hours after he'd gotten the robes, and only because someone in the thread pointed out the standing still thing. I'd pressed all the buttons to try and use it before, but not while sitting around. :|

SJRB

Gold Member
Hmm okay, thanks There's not showing up though, I hope it's because it'searly morning and not cuz the game's fucked up, you never know with AC3.

My only guess is that the game more or less assumes you liberate all forts before you finish the game's story.

Having bluecoats suddenly be your enemy is quite weird but unavoidable considering the narrative of the endgame. I'd almost wish they "stopped" the game moments prior, so before
the redcoats returned to England

The bluecoats are just reskinned redcoats, and even though I had trouble ambushing and killing them at first [because why would I, I've been on their side the entire game] I got over it pretty quickly since they all attack me on sight anyway.

So, in sequence 7 - it's one of the "ship's wheel" naval missions - Does anyone know how to defeat the Fleet in 1:30? It's a full sync requirement, but there's like 140,000 ships. Commander Data couldn't take them all out that fast. Apologies if this has been posted before.

Is there no hard lock-on anymore?

Its tweaked. Hit LT while an enemy is highlighted. This brings up a reticule that should center on the target.

So, in sequence 7 - it's one of the "ship's wheel" naval missions - Does anyone know how to defeat the Fleet in 1:30? It's a full sync requirement, but there's like 140,000 ships. Commander Data couldn't take them all out that fast. Apologies if this has been posted before.

Don't sweat it on your first playthrough. It is easy to get if you go back to the mission later when your ship has more upgrades.

As someone who plays for 100% sync, III has me wanting to really tell this game to go fuck itself. If I didn't care I think I'd like this more.

jett

D-Member
SJRB...I'm only on episode 6, thanks a lot for heavily implying and therefore spoiling the nature of the endgame. You're the best.

Not.

Collider

Banned
You can't use Eagle Vision unless you're standing still.
It was like that in AC1. Also I like it that way. It restricts when you use Eagle vision.

Also, I feel like most of you are posers which came into this franchise with ACB and some with AC2. You all never take AC1 into account. Which was better than ACB and ACR for me.
And about AC3, I am waiting for PC version becoz as usual, from GAF, I can never get a positive review of any game, especially AC series.

SJRB

Gold Member
SJRB...I'm only on episode 6, thanks a lot for heavily implying and therefore spoiling the nature of the endgame. You're the best.

Not.

What the hell are you talking about? I even spoiler-tagged whatever hints at the "endgame". If you think that trivial detail is a spoiler you should back out of this thread until you finish it, much greater stuff is openly discussed all over the place.

So is it just me or as you progress through the game the textures get worse? In a lot of areas for me the shading goes wonky or I can see through the "skin" of trees or I see that pink, purple, and black texture.

Collider

Banned
Restricting Eagle vision in a game that only asks you to use it less than 10 times makes all the sense in the world.

I havn't played AC3, So I can't comment on that. If in AC1, If felt like they made that option to restrict the use of Eagle vision aka cheat mode.

It was like that in AC1. Also I like it that way. It restricts when you use Eagle vision.

Also, I feel like most of you are posers which came into this franchise with ACB and some with AC2. You all never take AC1 into account. Which was better than ACB and ACR for me.
And about AC3, I am waiting for PC version becoz as usual, from GAF, I can never get a positive review of any game, especially AC series.

I hope you are only joking with that. AC1 is a boring mess, thats why people want to erase it of their minds or not begin with that game on the first place (ive beaten it, and at first tried to beat it 100%, and then played and beated AC2 and ACB 100%, which we MUCH more enjoyable rides, and all of this neck to neck, while not playing any other game in between). 2 and BH are the best. This is only opinion of course, but dont call people posers because they refined a playing aspect in two games to make them more fun, then erase it in the mediocre Revelations and keep that shit for 3.

Collider

Banned
I hope you are only joking with that. AC1 is a boring mess, thats why people want to erase it of their minds or not begin with that game on the first place (ive beaten it, and at first tried to beat it 100%, and then played and beated AC2 and ACB 100%, which we MUCH more enjoyable rides, and all of this neck to neck, while not playing any other game in between). 2 and BH are the best. This is only opinion of course, but dont call people posers because they refined a playing aspect in two games to make them more fun, then erase it in the mediocre Revelations and keep that shit for 3.

Ok, I apologize for calling people posers, but its seriously depressing for me when people hates AC3 for it being like AC1. AC1 was such an awesome game for me. It was a total philosophical game wrapped up in awesome assassinations and awesome parkour technology gaming world have never seen before. The way they revealed the whole plot and Desmond'd story through bits and pieces which we have to find out for ourselves was also really engaging for me.

BiggNife

Ok, I apologize for calling people posers, but its seriously depressing for me when people hates AC3 for it being like AC1. AC1 was such an awesome game for me. It was a total philosophical game wrapped up in awesome assassinations and awesome parkour technology gaming world have never seen before. The way they revealed the whole plot and Desmond'd story through bits and pieces which we have to find out for ourselves was also really engaging for me.

No offense, but you're definitely in the minority when it comes to opinions on AC1.

As someone who played and beat AC1 when it first came out, I thought it did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. Exploring the world was really fun but the game was very poorly structured and got repetitive quickly. AC2 kept everything that was right with AC1 and fixed all of its major problems - most importantly, the overall mission structure is much more well-thought-out. I also didn't care for AC1's story that much either - both Ezio and Connor are more interesting characters than Altair (or at least the way Altair is presented in AC1), and I've never really cared for Desmond's story but it doesn't really pick up until 2 anyway.

I'm enjoying AC3 a lot so far, though. It's clearly rough around the edges but the core game is still great.

AngryMoth

I'm in sequence 10 currently. Not sure which exact mission but when I load my game it puts me straight into a cutscene involving
George Washington
. Tried 4 time now each times the same thing has happened. Connor: "the British have recalled their men from Philadelphia. They march -" and the system hard locks. So basically I am unable to play the game at all. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!! 120GB ps3 slim by the way. Is this a reported issue?

Eideka

Banned
I'm in sequence 10 currently. Not sure which exact mission but when I load my game it puts me straight into a cutscene involving
George Washington
. Tried 4 time now each times the same thing has happened. Connor: "the British have recalled their men from Philadelphia. They march -" and the system hard locks. So basically I am unable to play the game at all. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!! 120GB ps3 slim by the way. Is this a reported issue?

Wow, unreal.

Just finished the game. The end felt kinda rushed but was all right I guess. All in all it is an alright game. Ubi should have put some more workin it though as it has a lot of rough edges. Way to many bugs for a AAA game. Also, some of the side missions indeed feel pointless. Still, if you do it all you get a nice playtime. Took me around 30 hours to do almost everything.

That said, I absoltely loved story and setting of this game. Raelly hope Connor gets another entry in the series.

I'd give the game an 8/10 (like almost all the other games of the series - lol).

Irish

No offense, but you're definitely in the minority when it comes to opinions on AC1.

As someone who played and beat AC1 when it first came out, I thought it did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. Exploring the world was really fun but the game was very poorly structured and got repetitive quickly. AC2 kept everything that was right with AC1 and fixed all of its major problems - most importantly, the overall mission structure is much more well-thought-out. I also didn't care for AC1's story that much either - both Ezio and Connor are more interesting characters than Altair (or at least the way Altair is presented in AC1), and I've never really cared for Desmond's story but it doesn't really pick up until 2 anyway.

I'm enjoying AC3 a lot so far, though. It's clearly rough around the edges but the core game is still great.

To be honest, I think anyone who praises the structure of ACII immediately loses the right to complain about anything being linear, focus tested garbage. AC1 had this wonderful sense of freedom to it which is completely obliterated in ACII. "This is how we expect you to play the game because you are too simpleminded to figure this out for yourself."

Everything about the structure, story, and characters of that game just felt generic to me. Bland and overly done. The world was beautiful and the gameplay improvements were very nice, but everything that made AC special and unique was tossed to the side to appease the masses. Oh, people like shitty stories and characters? Let's flood the game with them.

I think that is also one of the biggest problems with ACIII. It tries too hard to live up to the idea of open world games being about given you a lot of shit to do, no matter how bad a good majority of it is. Unfortunately, it tends to forget that design decision when it comes to the missions themselves.

Noi

Everything about the structure, story, and characters of that game just felt generic to me. Bland and overly done. The world was beautiful and the gameplay improvements were very nice, but everything that made AC special and unique was tossed to the side to appease the masses. Oh, people like shitty stories and characters? Let's flood the game with them.

I guess that's mostly where we differ. I liked ACII/Brotherhood because of the constant gameplay improvements more so than the story and characters. Helped that Ezio was a much more charismatic character than Altair though, I guess.

In ACIII, what bothers me more than the bugs and lack of context for stuff is how stuff that was polished to perfection in the previous games is so broken in this one. It'd be one thing if it was changed but replaced with stuff that was just as good, but most of them are more frustrating now than they were in previous games.

Now that I think about it, do they even mention the difference between High Profile and Low Profile at any point in ACIII? I can't remember and I restarted the game yesterday.

Top Bottom