• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Epcott

Just realized, if you have 2 star notoriety (or two X?) and you fast travel to say, the harbor, your notoriety resets.

Is this a glitch, or just an oversight on their part that can be exploited?
I find myself going on lethal liberation and assassin missions, making mischief, ducking in some brush to hide, bring up the map and returning to harbor.

BiggNife

To be honest, I think anyone who praises the structure of ACII immediately loses the right to complain about anything being linear, focus tested garbage. AC1 had this wonderful sense of freedom to it which is completely obliterated in ACII. "This is how we expect you to play the game because you are too simpleminded to figure this out for yourself."

Everything about the structure, story, and characters of that game just felt generic to me. Bland and overly done. The world was beautiful and the gameplay improvements were very nice, but everything that made AC special and unique was tossed to the side to appease the masses. Oh, people like shitty stories and characters? Let's flood the game with them.

I think that is also one of the biggest problems with ACIII. It tries too hard to live up to the idea of open world games being about given you a lot of shit to do, no matter how bad a good majority of it is. Unfortunately, it tends to forget that design decision when it comes to the missions themselves.

If you thought AC2's missions were "linear, focus tested garbage" then I'm not really sure why you're still playing the series because every game since then has followed AC2's structure. And I think the missions in AC2 onwards still give you the freedom to approach them in a variety of different ways. Maybe they're a little more linear than AC1, but then again I'm one of those people who really doesn't think linearity is a bad thing.

Also, is AC2's story really more bland and generic than AC1? Really? I think Ezio is way more interesting and fleshed out than anyone in AC1, personally.

You're clearly passionate about this subject and I know I'm not going to sway your opinion, but all I can tell you is that I thought AC2 was a way better game than AC1 and that the mission structure went a long way towards making it less repetitive and dull. If that makes me one of the brain-washed, focus-tested masses or whatever, then so be it.

Noi

I am 100% positive the wolves on Oak Island are bugged.

You get less than a second for the attack QTE while no other wolf in the game is like that.

Combine this with full synch objectives of not using ranged weapons and not losing more than 30% health and it's really frustrating.

Yup, it's bugged. You can still do the QTE if you're fast enough, but it's kinda bullshit. Otherwise, just hop on a tree and do air assassinations on all of them. You won't land on them, but you can kill them instantly by attacking when you land.

Irish

If you thought AC2's missions were "linear, focus tested garbage" then I'm not really sure why you're still playing the series because every game since then has followed AC2's structure. And I think the missions in AC2 onwards still give you the freedom to approach them in a variety of different ways. Maybe they're a little more linear than AC1, but then again I'm one of those people who really doesn't think linearity is a bad thing.

Also, is AC2's story really more bland and generic than AC1? Really? I think Ezio is way more interesting and fleshed out than anyone in AC1, personally.

I don't feel that way. The game practically holds your hand the entire way through the game. There is always a strict path that you have to follow to get to your target and a specific way that you have to kill them. I don't like that. I don't like the screen flashing and glitching out because you're deviating from the rails.

For all the physical growth that Ezio undergoes over the course of his trilogy, he remains a very static character in my eyes. He simply never really changes or, on the rare occasions when he decides to be different, he immediately changes his mind and goes back to being the old Ezio. Altair grows and improves over time and people's opinions of him change along with it, Al Mualim slowly unravels as the game goes on. I don't know, I just like it a hell of a lot better.

ACII is the better game, mechanics-wise. I don't even dispute that. I just don't think the experience is even close to the level as AC1. It's most definitely a personal opinion though. I can't fault anyone for that.

_

Oak Island wolves are definitely bugged.

Balphon

You get less than a second for the attack QTE while no other wolf in the game is like that.

Combine this with full synch objectives of not using ranged weapons and not losing more than 30% health and it's really frustrating.

Jump on the nearby log. They won't be able to attack and will just mill around waiting for you to aerial assassinate them.

conman

AC1 is still the best in the series for this reason. The problem with the story in AC2 is that it was basically a process of meandering dot connecting. "Go to A, then go to B, then go to C." But AC1 had a much more organic and open plot structure. "Kill A, but do so by doing any number of tasks 1-6, then plan your attack using that information in any way you like. Then move on to kill B." Only in the final area did AC2 trust players enough to re-introduce this structure from AC1.

Brotherhood and Revelations were about trying to combine the best of both worlds. And from a structural perspective, I think they both succeeded. Of course, Revelations suffered from a massively under-developed story in general, but that's a different issue.

Ezio is just a typical video game hero. Altair was unusual. He was much more of a genuine enigma than most game characters, and the game was never about him. It was about his place in history, and his role in the "underbelly" of that history. God, I love that game. Just talking about it makes me want to play it again (for the fourth time).

You're clearly passionate about this subject and I know I'm not going to sway your opinion, but all I can tell you is that I thought AC2 was a way better game than AC1 and that the mission structure went a long way towards making it less repetitive and dull. If that makes me one of the brain-washed, focus-tested masses or whatever, then so be it.
I completely disagree. AC2 appeals to the instant gratification crowd. AC1 appeals to patient gamers. Unfortunately for us patient gamers, there aren't many games designed for gamers like us. Most of the patient gamers stick to things like fighting games, strategy games, racing games, and shmups. But AC1 was one of the rare games (along with Demon's Souls) that rewards dedication, experimentation, and patience. But you really had to be willing to push the boundaries of the game and not assume that it would all just be handed to you on a platter (as it was in AC2). Playing without the minimap or main map went a long way toward taking away the handholding and presenting the game on its own raw terms.

Like Irish says, AC2 definitely improved on the mechanics. But it also took the "thinking" out of the game's structure. It does all the thinking for you. Luckily, Brotherhood and Revelations found ways to reintroduce the "thinking" parts of AC1 and continued to refine the core mechanics. If not for the skeletal storyline in Revelations, it would easily be the best in the series. Its mechanics and systems design were absolutely brilliant.

It really makes me sad that AC3 tosses all of that thoughtful iteration and refinement out the window.

AngryMoth

Its been suggested that I go back to the start of sequence 10 but as far as I can there isn't a sequence select menu this time around? One of my housemates is playing through as well so I will just have to hope he doesn't run into the same bug and copy his save.

Raxus

Oak Island wolves are definitely bugged.

I think it was a poorly implemented design choice. There are other ways to kill the wolves without using distance weapons.
Its been suggested that I go back to the start of sequence 10 but as far as I can there isn't a sequence select menu this time around? One of my housemates is playing through as well so I will just have to hope he doesn't run into the same bug and copy his save.
Go to the start menu. Select the sequence you want to repeat and hit x/square.

So I'm trying to get 100% on this stupid fucking Peg Leg naval mission where you chase down a mercenary in a long scripted event. You need to kill him before he reaches a cave at the very end and I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no fucking way to do this. I've repeated the whole goddamn mission so many times that I have the chase down to a science. There are no alternate paths, there are no ways to get closer to him. I slide down the ship at the end and land too far behind him to kill him. It doesn't allow you to stop and pull out a pistol or a bow and arrow. Trying to do an air assassination while sliding down still lands you too far behind him. What the hell.

I can't remember the last time I've been so angry with a video game. This so perfectly sums up everything that is wrong with this frigging mess of a game. I'm fine when I'm failing at a game because I'm fucking up, I'm not fine when it feels like the game itself is actively fucking up.

Noi

So I'm trying to get 100% on this stupid fucking Peg Leg naval mission where you chase down a mercenary in a long scripted event. You need to kill him before he reaches a cave at the very end and I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no fucking way to do this. I've repeated the whole goddamn mission so many times that I have the chase down to a science. There are no alternate paths, there are no ways to get closer to him. I slide down the ship at the end and land too far behind him to kill him. It doesn't allow you to stop and pull out a pistol or a bow and arrow. Jumping while sliding down to try an air assassination still lands you too far behind him. What the hell.

I can't remember the last time I've been so angry with a video game. This so perfectly sums up everything that is wrong with this game. The best part? I bet there's just some dumb little thing I'm not doing that was briefly mentioned once in some dumb fucking tutorial ten hours ago.

Mash the attack button, don't jump, from the moment you start sliding towards him at the end. You'll start the air assassination animation and he actually stops to let you kill him. I only had to fail that part once before I did that and it worked. What was more annoying was how despite doing the exact same things on every attempt, the guy would somehow go way too far ahead before the part where the ship mast starts breaking. :/

Irish

So I'm trying to get 100% on this stupid fucking Peg Leg naval mission.

I can't remember the last time I've been so angry with a video game. This so perfectly sums up everything that is wrong with this mess of a game.

Poison Dart. Then you can do a regular assassination afterwards. It's not necessary though.

Thanks guys.

I was finally able to get him, doing the air assassination like I had been trying to. For some reason it just wasn't listening to me before, I don't know if I hadn't been "locked on" to him or what. The last time I tried it went exactly like I figured it was supposed to.

Toski

AC1 is still the best in the series for this reason. The problem with the story in AC2 is that it was basically a process of meandering dot connecting. "Go to A, then go to B, then go to C." But AC1 had a much more organic and open plot structure. "Kill A, but do so by doing any number of tasks 1-6, then plan your attack using that information in any way you like. Then move on to kill B." Only in the final area did AC2 trust players enough to re-introduce this structure from AC1.

Brotherhood and Revelations were about trying to combine the best of both worlds. And from a structural perspective, I think they both succeeded. Of course, Revelations suffered from a massively under-developed story in general, but that's a different issue.

Ezio is just a typical video game hero. Altair was unusual. He was much more of a genuine enigma than most game characters, and the game was never about him. It was about his place in history, and his role in the "underbelly" of that history. God, I love that game. Just talking about it makes me want to play it again (for the fourth time).

I completely disagree. AC2 appeals to the instant gratification crowd. AC1 appeals to patient gamers. Unfortunately for us patient gamers, there aren't many games designed for gamers like us. Most of the patient gamers stick to things like fighting games, strategy games, racing games, and shmups. But AC1 was one of the rare games (along with Demon's Souls) that rewards dedication, experimentation, and patience. But you really had to be willing to push the boundaries of the game and not assume that it would all just be handed to you on a platter (as it was in AC2). Playing without the minimap or main map went a long way toward taking away the handholding and presenting the game on its own raw terms.

Like Irish says, AC2 definitely improved on the mechanics. But it also took the "thinking" out of the game's structure. It does all the thinking for you. Luckily, Brotherhood and Revelations found ways to reintroduce the "thinking" parts of AC1 and continued to refine the core mechanics. If not for the skeletal storyline in Revelations, it would easily be the best in the series. Its mechanics and systems design were absolutely brilliant.

It really makes me sad that AC3 tosses all of that thoughtful iteration and refinement out the window.

What I don't like about AC2 through AC3 did to assassinations was that they made them one more thing to do rather than be the highlights of the game, which is (arguably) the one place AC1 succeeded. In AC3 they don't even set up the assassination side missions, just tell you to go kill these random people.

Noi

What I don't like about AC2 through AC3 did to assassinations was that they made them one more thing to do rather than be the highlights of the game, which is (arguably) the one place AC1 succeeded. In AC3 they don't even set up the assassination side missions, just tell you to go kill these random people.

And they don't even put them inside a guarded area or something. They're just random shmucks standing around that you can just stab and keep running to wherever you were going.

Yopis

Ezio is just a typical video game hero. Altair was unusual. He was much more of a genuine enigma than most game characters, and the game was never about him. It was about his place in history, and his role in the "underbelly" of that history. God, I love that game. Just talking about it makes me want to play it again.

Agree fully with this part. Something was lost after the first game. Ezio was so generic and his story so typical. First creed game was my fav also. Salute to you sir.

Hey guys, I need some multiplayer tips. For assassins, how do I appropriately read the hud circle thing around my character? Multiplayer is a lot more fun than I would have expected.

Ranger X

Question... is it just be or its not possible to lock on an ennemi anymore?
I mean, it soooooooo shitty for shooting someone from afar...

rataven

So, where's the lonely island for those who love ACIII, and is there room for one more?

Just started Sequence 7, and am thoroughly enjoying the game. LOVE the Homestead, love the Frontier -- the environments, the weather, it's all very visceral in a way AC hasn't been before. I also really dig the characters -- getting to hang with
the bad guys
in the beginning made things intriguing, and I quite like Connor and Achilles. Side missions have genuinely been fun, and the navel battles are unexpectedly awesome.

Combat stinks, but I'm the stealthy type, so I do what I can to avoid it. No major glitches/bugs here either. Soundtrack is lacking though. Jesper is sorely missed.

Hey guys, I need some multiplayer tips. For assassins, how do I appropriately read the hud circle thing around my character? Multiplayer is a lot more fun than I would have expected.

Come join us in the MP thread!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499397

AngryMoth

Hmm. Forgot that you can hold circle to skip cutscenes which was the obvious solution to my problem, but the same thing is happening on the next cutscenes as well, so I'm assuming that the problem is probably with my ps3 unfortunately. May have to just YouTube the rest of the story, sigh

SJRB

Gold Member
Hmm. Forgot that you can hold circle to skip cutscenes which was the obvious solution to my problem, but the same thing is happening on the next cutscenes as well, so I'm assuming that the problem is probably with my ps3 unfortunately. May have to just YouTube the rest of the story, sigh

Perhaps uninstalling the game and re-installing everything might help?

Derrick01

Banned

Some of the buttons are actually broken too. Like no matter how quickly I hit triangle it never registers and X only registers half the time. I had to re-do it at least 5 times until the game gave me QTEs that worked so I could get full sync there.

PowderedToast

well said. AC1 had a fantastic respect for the history and people it's based on. not to mention its exploration of morality and religion is some of the most insightful you can find in video games. the interactions you have with your victims are frequently provoking and sometimes even beautiful in their lyricism;

Sibrand: Please, don't do this
Altaïr: You're afraid?
Sibrand: Of course I am afraid
Altaïr: But you'll be safe now, held in the arms of your god
Sibrand: Have my brothers taught you nothing? I know what waits for me. For all of us
Altaïr: If not your god, then what?
Sibrand: Nothing. Nothing waits. And that is what I fear.

ACII removed all that, and you'd be fair to assume that nobody even noticed. that's the sad part.

conman

That's how a lot of the missions work in AC3.

For example, at the beginning of many of the main mission sequences, I would have no idea what I was supposed to do or where I was going. The expectation is that you just look at your map and follow the icon. But often there's no reason, explanation, or motivation to do so. You're just supposed to look at your map and "go there" just because the icon tells you to. But no one told you where you were going next or who you were looking for. After completing a prior mission, you're just unceremoniously dumped back into the world with no guidance and just a random map location icon to go to. One more of the dozens of ways this game feels painfully unfinished.

rdrr gnr

well said. AC1 had a fantastic respect for the history and people it's based on. not to mention its exploration of morality and religion is some of the most insightful you can find in video games. the interactions you have with your victims are frequently provoking and sometimes even beautiful in their lyricism;

ACII removed all that, and you'd be fair to assume that nobody even noticed. that's the sad part.
You don't think the subsequent games had moments like these? Try reading some of Ezio's manifestos and they do discuss religion in a meaningful manner. Not to mention much of that is followed up by the actual fun of fighting the Pope.

My story is one of many thousands, and the world will not suffer if it ends too soon.

And even if it did dwarf the next games in how nuanced it was in thought; it was still a dull game mechanically. Whatever was lost in the transition was worth it.

Toski

You don't think the subsequent games had moments like these? Try reading some of Ezio's manifestos and it does discuss religion in a meaningful manner. Not to mention much of that is followed up by the actual fun of fighting the Pope.

And even if it did dwarf the next games in how nuanced it was in thought; it was still a dull game mechanically. Whatever was lost in the transition was worth it.
In some ways yes, in others no. Ubisoft has taken the AC2 formula as far as they can go with it. I hope that AC4 is in a sense a reimagination of AC1 "done right."

The AC2 targets past a certain point were targets to kill just to kill. The AC1 confessionals plus the Al Mualim debriefings added to "why those men had to die."

Another reason I'm reminded why AC1 really is such an underrated gem in the series.

conman

You don't think the subsequent games had moments like these? Try reading some of Ezio's manifestos and they do discuss religion in a meaningful manner. Not to mention much of that is followed up by the actual fun of fighting the Pope.
I agree. And, to be perfectly honest, this is the one area in AC3 that is most painfully absent. The story in AC3 is too personal and character driven. The sense of history and of these particular events' place in a much larger and longer political and ideological battle has been almost completely lost.

I think the Revolutionary War was a poor choice. Its meaning is too overdetermined. The only thing the game's writers could do was to try to get around some of that burden by focusing on a personal story. But by doing so, it's fallen into shallow melodrama instead of historical and political epic. For all of Ezio's bravado and egotism, his story was rarely schmaltzy. The writers of AC2, ACB, and ACR weren't afraid to make the story about bigger things than just one man's (uninteresting) quest for revenge.

But AC3 does two things wrong in its storytelling: 1) it's built too much around a personal story, and 2) its presentation of history has no sense of focus. The history that AC3 presents isn't "about" anything in particular; instead, it tries to be about everything. But in AC1, AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, the particular historical stories they told were about a very focused thing: the rise of industrial capital (colonial expansion, the invention of banking, the commodification of thought, the centralization of ideological power, etc). For AC3, it's like the writers sort of understood this (barter and goods systems), but not really. There's simply too much else going on.

The historical narrative runs away from them. Like pretty much everything else in the game, the story and historical-political themes are victims of the developers' excessively lofty ambitions. It is a game in dire need of focus and lots of editing/revision (what developers might call "iteration").

exYle

I just watched that scene again on YouTube. I expected to enjoy it, but... Altair's voice actor was TERRIBLE. Ugh.

jett

D-Member
Wow the assassin recruit missions garbage again? Outside of the cities the game is great, inside Boston it feels like the same crap I've played several times already.

This game's buggy nature never ceases to amaze me.

I'm in the shop right now buying weapons. Something glitched out and now there is a wooden crate surrounding the middle of every weapon.

I'm in the shop right now buying weapons. Something glitched out and now there is a wooden crate surrounding the middle of every weapon.

Just wait until you can craft a (Optional item spoiler)
twin holster and the game bugs out every time you start a mission so that you cannot use two pistols until you unequip and reequip a pistol.

conman

It's also pretty ridiculous how nobody seems to have done any continuity editing. I've run into tons of direct contradictions in plot details. My favorite example is right after seeing text on screen that tells us "six months later," Connor tells us in a voice over that the "days turned into months, and the months turned into years." ;)

televator

Just finished the game. My verdict: NOPE

It does somethings right that are amazing at times, but there are so many other things that just anger and baffle me.

The story, especially Desmond's part, was a joke. It's a shame really because it started off pretty well in the beginning. Sure the intro was too long and a bit boring, but the twist was a cool pay off...then it all ate shit.

njean777

Agree fully with this part. Something was lost after the first game. Ezio was so generic and his story so typical. First creed game was my fav also. Salute to you sir.

I personally though Altair was a great and interesting character, I am angry that they never continued his story in a proper game though. He may have been a dick at first, but he grew more humble and had swagger. I wish they would have made another game with him as the main character.

I'm in one of the Forts right now and it's glitched to shit. It will not spawn a captain. Also, I killed an enemy in it and it magically teleported Connor all the way across to the other side of the fort.

Awesome! I'd laugh, but I'm still aware I paid $65 for this game.

Noi

Going through this scene again, and I wanted to comment on something funny that has now happened both times. Sequence 08 spoilers.

When you're being taken to be executed after the prison part, during the initial walk, twice now I hear a slicing sound and whatever was binding Connor lets him go and you can walk normally as you're going forward. The first time it happened I thought that was something that was supposed to happen, for some reason.. until the next cutscene starts and Connor is bound again. Doing the scene for a second time now, and the same thing happened.

That combined with the NOT SO SUBTLE assassins prouncing around in the background killing guards just make that scene a comedy instead of how dramatic it's meant to be.
KuGsj.gif

Edit: ...And in the scene right after,
the place wasn't covered in the blue hue it's supposed to, and I literally took 2 steps forward and killed Hickey. LOL

Thanks to my UFO mission glitch it's impossible for me to get the platinum. 40+ hours wasted. Fuck you Ubisoft.

I also hated that side missions had million side missions within them. Collect the Almanacs, recruit artisans, level up the artisans which contains a billion missions, buy materials through the godawful menu system, and finally you craft your useless Franklin inventions. The Peg Legs is the only thing that had any pay off, but even that had 4 missions including the god awful glitched wolves.

Meh, I'm just bitter about the glitch. Shit better get patched.

televator

Going through this scene again, and I wanted to comment on something funny that has now happened both times. Sequence 08 spoilers.

When you're being taken to be executed after the prison part, during the initial walk, twice now I hear a slicing sound and whatever was binding Connor lets him go and you can walk normally as you're going forward. The first time it happened I thought that was something that was supposed to happen, for some reason.. until the next cutscene starts and Connor is bound again. Doing the scene for a second time now, and the same thing happened.

That combined with the NOT SO SUBTLE assassins prouncing around in the background killing guards just make that scene a comedy instead of how dramatic it's meant to be.
KuGsj.gif

Edit: ...And in the scene right after,
the place wasn't covered in the blue hue it's supposed to, and I literally took 2 steps forward and killed Hickey. LOL

Yeah that was comical to me in one play through. Other things I found funny:
Desmond's dad gets kidnapped by Obstergo. So where does a super secret front for the Templars hold their hostages? A big office building with their name and sharp logo probably lit up on a fancy sign on the outside.

So the gods left the earth long ago, but it turns out that they left Juno as a prisoner...on planet full of easy to manipulate Humans. They also left the key behind instead of chucking it into space...how convenient.

Of course, every main villain has to give a speech just before finishing off the protagonist. Which gives the good guy a chance to pull out a gun or knife to interrupt and kill the bad guy during his long philosophical thesis.

On a not so funny note: Walking (often times for vast distances and with no quick travel available) to cut scenes... I NEVER wanna see that in a video game ever again for as long as I live.

So I've beaten this for awhile now and after taking time to mull over it. In some ways it's an amazing game the side missions and the frontier makes it great. But Conners story was just so convoluted and the missions that accompanied it were not up to the series standard. Weirdly enough I enjoyed Desmond's story more. Also the multiplayer really saved the game. Definitely not my favorite game of this series but still not a bad game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
in preparation for another sequel. kinda sucked we had no choice with the ending just for the heck of it.

Yeah, I agree with everything there, particularly the bit about
Desmond's father and his general blase attitude towards his son's sacrifice. Not even a hug. Just so odd to me. Just because Desmond is an adult, doesn't mean he stops being Miles's son. I would have thought Miles would have offered to take Desmond's place or at least struggled a bit with Desmond's decision. Totally didn't pick up on the fact that "Q" does Miles's voice though, lol

Noi

Got me second save up to a point where I can get all the entries in the Encyclopedia. Making 3 backups of this file just in case something goes wrong.

Wish me luck. :(

JJD

Guys I'm, having problems with the Animus Pivots. I haven't managed to find a single one, not even the 2 used to locate the rest.

When I go into the Pivots menu, the following message appears under the first one Pivot Iota:

"A new pivot has been scanned in undefined. Try to find it."

I have searched all over Boston and no sign of it.

On the Pivot map section of the menu I have 0 Pivot to find and 0 Pivot to plant on all the regions, Boston, NY and the Frontier.

Any help? Is my game glitched?

Unfortunately my power went out on the tutorial about pivots, and I couldn't see it. I have managed to see the tutorial on youtube but I can't still find a single Pivot or plant one...

Top Bottom