• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Castcoder

Banned
Out of curiosity, did anyone jump on the Steam sale? $38 for all Assassin's Creed games. I just built my own PC and needed to play Brotherhood and Revelations before Assassin's Creed III. It ends at 4PM today, though.

Out of curiosity, did anyone jump on the Steam sale? $38 for all Assassin's Creed games. I just built my own PC and needed to play Brotherhood and Revelations before Assassin's Creed III. It ends at 4PM today, though.

Yup. I own all games for 360 but wanted to play them a bit on PC in higher resolution. I think I'm almost spoiling my AC3 experience (getting it for 360) since I'm playing AC1 & AC2 at 1080 w/AA @60FPS right now. Both games still look great.

I wish I had the patience to wait for the PC version of AC3 but I know I don't.

Ezio

Great OP! Day 1 for me, I cannot wait for this game. Ezio was pretty top-notch as far as a main character imo. At least in ACII/ACB. ACR was all together pretty meh honestly. I mostly played it because it tied up Ezio's story. I love the new setting, how it's not just huge buildings etc. and there is some variety.

Main game is 10 to 12 hours, that's if you only do the main story.

Just like it was going around that Dishonored was only 4 - 6 hours. Sure, if you speed run it. I've spent 12 hours in Dishonored and I've just completed the third mission.

I've spent over 25 hours in AC Revelations and I think I'm about 75% through the story, and if you power through it you can do it in ~10 hours.

It's like going to a 5 star restaurant, ignoring the the first courses and gorging your way through the entree without taking the time to taste it.

Telaso

Banned
Yup. I own all games for 360 but wanted to play them a bit on PC in higher resolution. I think I'm almost spoiling my AC3 experience (getting it for 360) since I'm playing AC1 & AC2 at 1080 w/AA @60FPS right now. Both games still look great.

I wish I had the patience to wait for the PC version of AC3 but I know I don't.

This, so so very this....

Eideka

Banned
I will certainly play a little bit on PS3 (thank God I have a roomate) just to see how free running has been improved.

dreamfall

I did, but mainly just to double dip. I ended up downloading and installing both AC I + II. And five hours later, somehow I managed to get lost in Ezio's adventures for the third time. So good! Just wanted them on the PC (having just built one this year, played all the AC games on the 360).

Just like it was going around that Dishonored was only 4 - 6 hours. Sure, if you speed run it. I've spent 12 hours in Dishonored and I've just completed the third mission.

I've spent over 25 hours in AC Revelations and I think I'm about 75% through the story, and if you power through it you can do it in ~10 hours.

It's like going to a 5 star restaurant, ignoring the the first courses and gorging your way through the entree without taking the time to taste it.

For what it's worth, I'm starting sequence seven out of 12 (13 maybe) and my clock is around 8:30 hours with me doing 95% main quest. But as said before, milage can vary heavily depending on player skill and way of tackling situations.

Castcoder

Banned
Not too sure about going through AC1 again on PC. Those mechanics were terrible when I played it back in April. I wish they could remake AC1 so it's more like AC2's style; where you don't get caught for not walking slower than a snail.

The graphics and animations are really dated, too...

Not too sure about going through AC1 again on PC. Those mechanics were terrible when I played it back in April. I wish they could remake AC1 so it's more like AC2's style; where you don't get caught for not walking slower than a snail.

The graphics and animations are really dated, too...

Yes. They spent so much time getting the engine in order that you can really tell they had to figure out gameplay mechanics last minute. I would love to go back to the crusades. Sadly, they pretty much finished Altair's story in ACR.

Has anyone from Ubi said why they insist on changing the character models so much? Looking at him straight-on Desmond now at least mostly looks like Desmond again, but from an angle he has that weird frigging shaped head, and from that one screenshot it seems that Rebecca is the latest to receive the "looks entirely different" treatment. Really, really annoying.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't believe we are going to be at the end of October next week. Seems like it was just a few weeks ago when we were sitting around talking about the reveal. Incredible how time is flying.

Daft_Cat

Glad to see we're not alone. Reviewers really dropped the ball on Revelations. It's a fantastic game in a fantastic series.

It's just the least fantastic game in the fantastic series!

Just messing with you. In all honesty though, I couldn't even finish it. I don't know if I blame that on the game itself or the annual release cycle. I'll go back to it someday if only to play through the end of Altair's and Ezio's stories (even though I've already caught up on the endings in prep for 3). I loved the first AC game, so at the very least, the setting of Revelations was a definite plus.

Brohood is my fave.

Glad to see we're not alone. Reviewers really dropped the ball on Revelations. It's a fantastic game in a fantastic series.

I felt the same way really. Thought each was enjoyable and have really added to the series. Part 3 is going to be huge for me.

Just messing with you. In all honesty though, I couldn't even finish it. I don't know if I blame that on the game itself or the annual release cycle. I'll go back to it someday if only to play through the end of Altair's and Ezio's stories. I loved the first AC game, so at the very least, the setting of Revelation's was a definite plus.

Brohood is my fave.

Brotherhood is also my favorite <3333

Daft_Cat

Brotherhood is also my favorite <3333

I would almost say it's the best by far, but there's some real dramatic heft to the first act of AC2.

Really, it's more like ACB+AC2 > the rest. I love how Brotherhood took the mission based structure of 2, and blended it with the innovative 9-target structure from the first game by adding the 9 Borgia towers. Combining the two structures helped to overcome some of the repetition inherent in each.

On an unrelated note, I wish we were getting some early reviews. Hopefully a magazine score will leak or something. As someone who didn't really finish the last game (re: my last post), I really want to know whether this game feels like a fresh step forward. I know everyone will probably just say "why don't you just wait a day, or until after noon on release day?" to which my answer would be "I know I'll end up getting it on opening day anyway. It'd just be nice to justify my impulse-buy beforehand."

I read thread title as AC3 OT: Reggaeton

Needless to say I'm disappointed.

really looking forward to the Freedom Edition. Kinda curious how well the figure looks, because the Ezio figure from the Black Edition I have looks pretty good too.

I would almost say it's the best by far, but there's some real dramatic heft to the first act of AC2.

I have a special place in my heart for the character building work they did in AC2. It sticks out in my head as maybe the best game ever in that aspect of the storyline. Ezio's early-life arc is more memorable to me more than any other character in gaming. I felt that they stuck with him too long after that, especially in Revelations, but I'll never forget AC2.

M.W.

Switched my pre order over to the PS3 version yesterday. Additional missions, and it runs silky smooth, why not.

Oh gahd, spoilers coming out already. Thank god I'm working non-stop this weekend.

But has it been discussed that Ubisoft says, 'This is a good entry point for newcomers'? I goddam fucking hate when developers say this about their games. *Cough* Mass Effect 3 *cough* and look how that turned out...

Marleyman

Banned
Oh gahd, spoilers coming out already. Thank god I'm working non-stop this weekend.

But has it been discussed that Ubisoft says, 'This is a good entry point for newcomers'? I goddam fucking hate when developers say this about their games. *Cough* Mass Effect 3 *cough* and look how that turned out...

Agreed; fuck the newcomers. Youtube and other options are out there for them.

Dunan

You said it. I hated what happened to Ezio's home in Brotherhood, and would have bene happy jumping right from the end of AC2 to Revelations. His life story would have been just as good.

Eideka

Banned

What's wrong with this ? It's indeed a very good opportunity for everyone to get on board with the series.

It does not mean that the game will be drastically "dumbed down", just that newcomers may enjoy it as much as hardcore fans of the series.

What's wrong with this ? It's indeed a very good opportunity for everyone to get on board with the series.

It does not mean that the game will be drastically "dumbed down", just that newcomers may enjoy it as much as hardcore fans of the series.

Just gives me less confidence that they'll try to make it a cohesive trilogy that relies heavily on previous entries. I want this trilogy to end well! I've got burned in the past...

Also, I remember reading that they limited/removed the inclusion of Ezio and Altair in the story in order to not confuse new players. If that's true, then it just reaffirms my concerns...

Eideka

Banned
Also, I remember reading that they limited/removed the inclusion of Ezio and Altair in the story in order to not confuse new players. If that's true, then it just reaffirms my concerns...
I did not know this, and now I understand what you meant.

Yeah if that's true it really sucks for the fans who have been following the series since the beginning.

conman

Just messing with you. In all honesty though, I couldn't even finish it. I don't know if I blame that on the game itself or the annual release cycle. I'll go back to it someday if only to play through the end of Altair's and Ezio's stories (even though I've already caught up on the endings in prep for 3). I loved the first AC game, so at the very least, the setting of Revelations was a definite plus.

Brohood is my fave.
Each game in the series has its own unique strengths.
AC1, it's the openness to experimentation and the sci-fi frame story.
AC2, it's the Ezio storyline and historical backdrop.
ACB, it's the focus on exploration and side missions.
ACR, it's the refined mechanics and emergent city environment.

exYle

Every Assassin's game is a good entry point. There's always a recap of the previous games and a beginning tutorial.

Think I'll keep my self busy by playing Lost Archive and going back and playing AC1 & AC2.

legbone

ac2 and ac:brotherhood (caw caw, here come my boys, love that) are two of my favorite games of this generation. ac2 is one of the only games i have bothered to get 1000 gamerscore on. i cannot wait for next week. i took the entire week off just to savor ac3. i will also mix in a little forza horizon (best forza game ever) and borderlands 2 (because i am addicted to it worse than the marlboro lights that i can't kick. borderlands 2 should have a warning label on it). i cannot wait until next week.

Just gives me less confidence that they'll try to make it a cohesive trilogy that relies heavily on previous entries. I want this trilogy to end well! I've got burned in the past...

It's not more dumped down in terms of story telling then the other games. By good entry point I presume they mean the into movie that re-tells the previous games before letting the player.

They make a lot of references to what happened in Revelations, Brotherhood and 2. There's been some callbacks to 1, but not as heavily as wi the other games. They expect you to know what went down with Lucy, and from what I get, understanding of the extended universe will also benefit you since they do some stuff with that as well.

So no, they won't pretend the previous games didn't happen, but the nature of concluding a trilogy makes it easy to set up the stakes and make the player get into it.

Top Bottom