• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Dunan

Each game in the series has its own unique strengths.
AC1, it's the openness to experimentation and the sci-fi frame story.
AC2, it's the Ezio storyline and historical backdrop.
ACB, it's the focus on exploration and side missions.
ACR, it's the refined mechanics and emergent city environment.

Also for AC2, it's the puzzles-within-puzzles-within-puzzles -- the super-hidden material in the glyph puzzles -- that actually make you, the player, go out into the real world and do some research to solve.

You use a controller to manipulate Desmond, who uses the Animus to manipulate Ezio, who finds the glyph puzzles for Desmond (controlled by you) to solve, and to find the deepest stuff in those puzzles, you have to step all the way out of both the Ezio layer and the Desmond layer and start Googling to learn the Masonic code, or the Caesar cipher, or any of the other crazy stuff that helps you figure out what's really going on in the world of AC2.

This interactivity between game and player on multiple levels is what made AC2 an amazing experience.

Derrick01

Banned
Revelations was damn near identical on 360/PS3 so I would certainly hope the upwards trend has continued with 3.

So the 360 version had a horrifying amount of screen tearing too? That's sad to know.

To this day I don't know how I was able to complete the game on PS3 with how much I hate tearing. It probably stopped me from going for a platinum at least.

Oh shit!

ShopTo has just charged me for my preorder of AC3, and my order is now "processing".

Hopefully it'll come early. Usually games in the UK come out Friday, and with ShopTo I often get them on the Thursday before.

I wonder when I'll be getting AC3?!

EXCITE.

I really can't express how happy I am that something as practical and sensible as cover-assassinations are now in the game. About goddamn time, I say.

grumble

Really like hows the game looks, not a huge fan of the American slaughtering evil British people blah blah. It's a bit classless.

lantus

So the 360 version had a horrifying amount of screen tearing too? That's sad to know.

To this day I don't know how I was able to complete the game on PS3 with how much I hate tearing. It probably stopped me from going for a platinum at least.

Tearing was a big problem with brotherhood and 2 as well. Hopefully this new engine brings better performance.

conman

Not really. Much, much improved tech over AC Brotherhood. Though I suppose it depends on your sensitivity to such things. But I didn't really notice any other than during a handful of cutscenes.

CrazyDude

Really like hows the game looks, not a huge fan of the American slaughtering evil British people blah blah. It's a bit classless.

You mean British slaughtering British. Both sides are ethnically British. You are also killing people on both sides.

Linkified

Oh shit!

ShopTo has just charged me for my preorder of AC3, and my order is now "processing".

Hopefully it'll come early. Usually games in the UK come out Friday, and with ShopTo I often get them on the Thursday before.

I wonder when I'll be getting AC3?!

EXCITE.

Seen as it comes out on a Tuesday in the UK, Tuesday?

If anybody still has the Revelations MP achievements missing (for 360), I'm trying to get a group together to tackle the more snotty ones (specifically, the inane task related ones for the DLC packs). Send me a PM with your GamerTag and available gaming times for the weekend.

Of course, that's assuming the server is running. I couldn't get on to start an MP game just now.

What's wrong with this ? It's indeed a very good opportunity for everyone to get on board with the series.

It does not mean that the game will be drastically "dumbed down", just that newcomers may enjoy it as much as hardcore fans of the series.

They took out the mind bending puzzles in REV. AC2 had some crazy ass puzzles. I hope they return in 3.

ironcreed said:
I can't believe we are going to be at the end of October next week. Seems like it was just a few weeks ago when we were sitting around talking about the reveal. Incredible how time is flying.

Illusion. This happens with anything that has a date and it finally gets here.

Cider X

Some random impressions after a few hours with the 360 version:

-Game comes on 2 discs. 2nd disc is multiplayer.

-There's a Uplay pass included, however you can play online without registering it. You will miss out on upgrades and extras though.

-Running and climbing is faster, more fluent and less frustrating.

-The new setting is great so far. Really atmospheric.

-Combat seems dumbed down, but this might just be because it's the beginning of the game.

-New finishing moves are visceral and very cool.

-Framerate is all over the place. Appears to be unlocked as well, meaning it will go anywhere from 60 FPS to low 20s depending on how much the engine has to render. This is really annoying and I'm pretty sure the other games in the series were locked to 30 FPS.

-Open world "jank" is still evident.

-Weird bugs like guards spawning directly in front of me causing me to fail a stealth mission and some weird stuttering when switching from cutscenes back to the action was slightly disappointing. Seems somewhat unpolished, but again this might just be unlucky open world "jank".

More to come...

Zep

Banned

-There's a Uplay pass included, however you can play online without registering it. You will miss out on upgrades and extras though.

-Combat seems dumbed down, but this might just be because it's the beginning of the game.

-Framerate is all over the place. Appears to be unlocked as well, meaning it will go anywhere from 60 FPS to low 20s depending on how much the engine has to render. This is really annoying and I'm pretty sure the other games in the series were locked to 30 FPS.

-Weird bugs like guards spawning directly in front of me causing me to fail a stealth mission and some weird stuttering when switching from cutscenes back to the action was slightly disappointing. Seems somewhat unpolished, but again this might just be unlucky open world "jank".

More to come...

A Ubisoft trademark, no doubt.

Bladenic

When people say puzzles they mean the huge platforming areas that 2 had right? I can't think of any actual puzzles beside those.

Also sad to see that Ubisoft still can't deliver a polished AC title. Geez.

7he Talon

More to come...
How's the Frontier? Is it everything they made it out to be?

Jetman

If anybody still has the Revelations MP achievements missing (for 360), I'm trying to get a group together to tackle the more snotty ones (specifically, the inane task related ones for the DLC packs). Send me a PM with your GamerTag and available gaming times for the weekend.

Of course, that's assuming the server is running. I couldn't get on to start an MP game just now.

Hmmm, the PS server for this one was down last week too I think. whenever I selected MP the screen would go black and boot me out to the dash. :( Gave up on it and just went straight to single player.

Thanks for the impressions, Cider X. The combat does indeed look super easy (just like its predecessors), but if it's as smooth and stylishly brutal as we've been shown, I can make concessions.

iNvid02

Guy should have got a tag for that thread. Fucking gigantic and high quality.

the game itself wasnt loved enough here on gaf so no tag

The tag should have read banned.

Dear-Batman.jpg

Vire

Framerate is all over the place. Appears to be unlocked as well, meaning it will go anywhere from 60 FPS to low 20s depending on how much the engine has to render. This is really annoying and I'm pretty sure the other games in the series were locked to 30 FPS.

More to come...
Darn, that's really disappointing.

The rest sounds good for the most part at least...

zychi

Banned
which disk is which? is disk 1 all singleplayer and is disk 2 all multi?

is there an hd textures install ala battlefield or medal of honor?

Tess3ract

Banned
I read it.

Most of it. Most of it contained information I already knew. However it's nice for anyone who's like "what's this game about? Tell me everything"

it's there for people. I'm all for more info available than less.

CrazyDude

iNvid02

But I am a fan of series and did not read the OP. In fact I never read the OP to game I like because I already know everything about them.

yeah exactly, we focus on information that interests us most of the time - you are interested in AC so you know a lot about it. but of course it doesnt apply to everyone and everything

Irish

I read the hell out of it, mainly because it was a nice refresher of everything that had happened to Altair and Ezio and fit right into Revelations because it was the concluding story for both characters.

Top Bottom