• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Draconian

I like the false dichotomy you guys are making. How many OTs of huge holiday games have ever been one picture, a blurb, and a link? I think there are plenty of examples on the site of worthwhile OTs that are really informative without reading like a PR presentation by the game's publisher.

Vire

I'm personally in favor of less bloated OT's.

I don't like the idea of being a PR monkey shilling for publishers.

JJD

I liked some of the big OTs.

Leroy MGS4 OT was legendary. It's funny how times change, everyone went nuts on that thread.

So the 360 version had a horrifying amount of screen tearing too? That's sad to know.

To this day I don't know how I was able to complete the game on PS3 with how much I hate tearing. It probably stopped me from going for a platinum at least.

Eight hours in and no tearing for me, had one moment where the frame rate dropped like crazy, but otherwise been fine. Running 360 and installed.

Some random impressions after a few hours with the 360 version:

-Game comes on 2 discs. 2nd disc is multiplayer.

-There's a Uplay pass included, however you can play online without registering it. You will miss out on upgrades and extras though.

-Running and climbing is faster, more fluent and less frustrating.

-The new setting is great so far. Really atmospheric.

-Combat seems dumbed down, but this might just be because it's the beginning of the game.

-New finishing moves are visceral and very cool.

-Framerate is all over the place. Appears to be unlocked as well, meaning it will go anywhere from 60 FPS to low 20s depending on how much the engine has to render. This is really annoying and I'm pretty sure the other games in the series were locked to 30 FPS.

-Open world "jank" is still evident.

-Weird bugs like guards spawning directly in front of me causing me to fail a stealth mission and some weird stuttering when switching from cutscenes back to the action was slightly disappointing. Seems somewhat unpolished, but again this might just be unlucky open world "jank".

More to come...

Since people are starting to get the game now, I'll just say somethng I feel is very important:

The first five hours or so are tutorial. The game doesn't open up untill you are around six hours in. The layout of Boston won't be finished until that point in time (the city won't be built to completin and there is not a lot to do).

So for anyone playing an hour and going "this is not what I was promised", have in mind that the game has a very long and slow start. You won't be hunting for a long while, you won't be trading and building your base for a long while, for the first four hours or more you won't be capable of doing the tree running stuff.

Eight hours in and no tearing for me, had one moment where the frame rate dropped like crazy, but otherwise been fine. Running 360 and installed.

Since people are starting to get the game now, I'll just say somethng I feel is very important:

The first five hours or so are tutorial. The game doesn't open up untill you are around six hours in. The layout of Boston won't be finished until that point in time (the city won't be built to completin and there is not a lot to do).

So for anyone playing an hour and going "this is not what I was promised", have in mind that the game has a very long and slow start. You won't be hunting for a long while, you won't be trading and building your base for a long while, for the first four hours or more you won't be capable of doing the tree running stuff.

Your post has me boarding the hype train.

iNvid02

ahh fuck, they really did make it a great entry point for new players

I do not like the sound of this. Slow burn openings are one thing, but this I do not like the sound of.

As long as the meat of the game is still good I can live with it though.

I'll miss the massive OPs. Some of those were actually better than the actual dev sites

Adidas and RGIII(Rober Griffin III, Redskins Quarterback) hooking up with Ubi to release a "Rock the Vote" inspired shoe.

CTC4Z.png

IiWQc.png

http://shop.ubi.com/store?SiteID=ub...&pbPage=Griffin&pgm=81141400&ThemeID=29282800

Amurica!

Draconian

I dunno what to think now. Earlier someone was saying it took 12 hours to beat, but now someone is saying the city doesn't open up fully until 6 hours? I'm confused.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I dunno what to think now. Earlier someone was saying it took 12 hours to beat, but now someone is saying the city doesn't open up fully until 6 hours? I'm confused.

Some people play slowly, others don't take theirtime. I imagine the game's length will be roughly the same as its major predecessors.

I don't know if it would take 12 hours to beat the game. I've only played eight hours and I am at sequence 7 out of 12 or 13 total. But I've been dying a lot and trying to do some of the optional full sync stuff.

A player who is rushing could probably beat it faster then me.

And by open up I mean that when you start out the game, Boston as a city is far from finished being build and when the game really opens up a lot of years has passed and there are more buildings and more life in the game overall.

You can free roam, open chests and explore from early on, but a lot of stuff like hunting and building your base up is triggered by story stuff later on.

Pretty much sounds like the standard AC buildup. Good to know.

Pretty much, with the exception of Boston and the amount of buildings in the city. It feels like a small insignificant place in the beginning but later on when a lot of ingame years have passed it's more akin to the previous cities in the series.

At least for me, I was incredibly disappointed by Boston early on, but now after the city has been built it's a fine and fun place to be in. And it's just something I think people should be aware of before playing two hours and going nuts over it.

Sending me off it. Most annoying part of ACBro/Rev is dealing with the tutorials and restricted cities and modern day nonsense before the game opens up.

There's maybe 5 or 8 minutes of modern day, and then you're in the Animus for a very long time before they let you out again.

SJRB

Gold Member
I the world closed off by artificial Animus walls like in ACII and ACB or is everything accessible from the beginning?

I the world closed off by artificial Animus walls like in ACII and ACB or is everything accessible from the beginning?

I don't think you will get access to the Frontier / Outside Boston for the first few memory sequences. I could be wrong, but the way the game is set up, it would make sense not to let you explore beyond Boston for the first few hours.

Plus - At the beginning you don't have the tools available to utilise the general world around you. You can't hunt, skin or climb trees for some time.

Bladenic

I don't think you will get access to the Frontier / Outside Boston for the first few memory sequences. I could be wrong, but the way the game is set up, it would make sense not to let you explore beyond Boston for the first few hours.

Plus - At the beginning you don't have the tools available to utilise the general world around you. You can't hunt, skin or climb trees for some time.

That sounds... awful.

Eideka

Banned
The game is out in my country....

At least they started releasing pre-ordered copies.

But I shall stay strong (and I hope that my roomate will pick the game up quickly).

That sounds... awful.

Worked fine for me, after the initial disappointment of the size of Boston at the beginning of the game (the city grows dramatically when the game really opens up), I found it enjoyable that the game wasn't drowning me in features right away (which I felt that Revelations had a tendency to do).

The reasons for doing all of this has a purpose, which for me was a good pay off when revealed.

So i didnt play ac:b or ac:r, can i jump right in or am i gonna have a hard time not knowing whats going on?

YouTube or Wiki the stor, I would say it's pretty essential for understandig what is going on with Desmond.

Tankshell

Am slowly getting more excited for this game. Absolutely loved AC1 and AC2 (Venice rooftops with that awesome music, oh my). Then got bored by the time Brotherhood came around.

Hopefully this game will inject something fresh into the series.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm fine with 3 starting slow like 2 did, which was important in both establishing Ezio as a character and not overwhelming the player with info. Even as an avid AC player Revelations was fucking nuts with info dumps, every load screen had a small little box talking about a mechanic and letting your practice it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Having the street date broken by a whole week is pretty amazing, especially for such a massive title. I wish it would happen here as well.

dreamfall

I'm fine with 3 starting slow like 2 did, which was important in both establishing Ezio as a character and not overwhelming the player with info. Even as an avid AC player Revelations was fucking nuts with info dumps, every load screen had a small little box talking about a mechanic and letting your practice it.

Absolutely agree with this! I loved II's opening- it was so perfect.

"It is a good life we lead brother.
The best. May it never change.
And may it never change us."

I'll never forget it. Nor sneaking into Cristina's room! I hope we start slow for some character buildup.

nickcv

guys i need some help

a couple of months ago I bought all 4 AC games, and finally last week i started playing the first one.

in another thread a lot of people ponted out that AC2 has some important chapters of the story as DLC, and now i'm a little worried about the whole thing.

what DLCs am i supposed to buy for each game to fully enjoy the story and not a have a huge question mark above my head at the end of each game?

guys i need some help

a couple of months ago I bought all 4 AC games, and finally last week i started playing the first one.

in another thread a lot of people ponted out that AC2 has some important chapters of the story as DLC, and now i'm a little worried about the whole thing.

what DLCs am i supposed to buy for each game to fully enjoy the story and not a have a huge question mark above my head at the end of each game?

None, it's over exaggerated. AC2's DLC was some weird out of place mission put in-between the time skip. No DLC has real story meat to it, and each new game sums up the previous one pretty well in the beginning. You'll never be left not knowing what is going on, but whether you actually care about the terrible story is up to you.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I was avoiding all footage (the last I'd see was E3's on stage demo), but last night I saw a commercial for the game and got super hyped.

Going to have to wait about two weeks for the Wii U version though. I was originally going to get it for the 360 but my Xbox Live Gold is running out and I like the idea of the map on the GamePad screen.

I hope I can last ... also aren't we going to see reviews up soon? Not that it really matters to me much (I'm getting it anyway) - but usually they'd be out around now, no?

I was avoiding all footage (the last I'd see was E3's on stage demo), but last night I saw a commercial for the game and got super hyped.

Going to have to wait about two weeks for the Wii U version though. I was originally going to get it for the 360 but my Xbox Live Gold is running out and I like the idea of the map on the GamePad screen.

I hope I can last ... also aren't we going to see reviews up soon? Not that it really matters to me much (I'm getting it anyway) - but usually they'd be out around now, no?

Reviews are coming October 30th.

nickcv

None, it's over exaggerated. AC2's DLC was some weird out of place mission put in-between the time skip. No DLC has real story meat to it, and each new game sums up the previous one pretty well in the beginning. You'll never be left not knowing what is going on, but whether you actually care about the terrible story is up to you.

and what about brotherhood and revelations?
i read somewhere that the ending of one of the other characters is in a DLC

Top Bottom