• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Glad to see some others believe ACB is the best of the series. Such a phenomenal game with a surprising number of improvements for a short development time.

LiK

The combination of these two comments has me utterly baffled.

Not only is there almost no story to speak of in ACR (help out Suleiman every once in a while in his rise to power and collect books for a woman from Italy), but it was only because of the mechanics, setting, and gameplay additions that ACR was so good. But I will agree that Yusuf is one of the best characters in the series.

Revelations is a nice cap to the the Altair and Ezio stories. It also added some info about Desmond that I felt added to him as a chararacter. It's not a great story on its own but does a great job tying up the the Ezio saga, imo.

Marleyman

Banned
I gotta say after a ton of time with this game and the others I truly believe this is the best overall game in the series.

AC3>AC2>ACB>ACR>AC

conman

Of course, the mechanics in AC:R are by far the best in the series, but that only means so much to me. I like when characters interest me, and that was the case in 1 and Rev.
I'll accept that answer. Ezio is a totally generic, uninteresting video game character, but Altair (in AC1, not in ACR) was a character who had genuine motivation and depth. Unfortunately, they tried to retcon Altair in ACR to make him more like Ezio. Family drama. Revenge. Yadda. Yadda. But at least Yusuf, Suleiman, and Sofia were all very well written.

Revelations is a nice cap to the the Altair and Ezio stories. It also added some info about Desmond that I felt added to him as a chararacter. It's not a great story on its own but does a great job tying up the the Ezio saga, imo.
Pretty much. Story-wise, it's a nice coda to the series. Not much to sink your teeth into, but rewarding for those who had been following the series closely since AC1.

ACR has gotten an unfair bad rap. It's a "slight" game in comparison to the others, but it's also a much tighter and more finely crafted game (mechanically).

Marleyman said:
AC3>AC2>ACB>ACR>AC
Incredible. The yin to my yang. My arch-nemesis of taste. Amazing to me that two people can play all five games and come to almost exactly the opposite conclusion on all five.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My pre-order stuff said I'd get them at section 6. I'm past that now but have no idea where to find the weapon/outfit. As far as I can tell they aren't in the store. Where do you find your pre-order stuff?

rataven

My pre-order stuff said I'd get them at section 6. I'm past that now but have no idea where to find the weapon/outfit. As far as I can tell they aren't in the store. Where do you find your pre-order stuff?

All the weapons and outfits are found in the basement of the Homestead after you buy them. The weapon room is easy to miss as it's off to the side and behind the stairs.

LiK

All the weapons and outfits are found in the basement of the Homestead after you buy them. The weapon room is easy to miss as it's off to the side and behind the stairs.

pretty disappointing the Homestead building interior doesn't really look any better or improve as the game progresses.

rataven

pretty disappointing the Homestead building interior doesn't really look any better or improve as the game progresses.

Yeah, other than a few personal tchotchkes you earn for doing small stuff, it never really feels like Connor's home in the same way Monteriggioni did for Ezio.

I was at sequence 7 and everything got deleted on my PS3 becoz of my stupidity. It felt like i was just starting the game at sequence 6. By the way how long is left? Was i halfway at the story? How long does it takes to complete the game?

I thought it was a little too convenient and ridiculous that (recruit spoiler)
Duncan is the kid from the opera house who saw Haytham kill his uncle. Then he just so happens to move to Boston and gets recruited by Conner. Ridiculous and unnecessary even by AC standards

exYle

Duncan is the kid from the opera house who saw Haytham kill his uncle. Then he just so happens to move to Boston and gets recruited by Conner. Ridiculous and unnecessary even by AC standards

Whoa, how did you find that out?

SJRB

Gold Member

Wh.. what?

Irish

You can talk to your recruits in the various Taverns throughout the city. Only two conversations per though, I think.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I actually liked this detail.
But the target shouldn't have been his uncle. Now that was pretty ridiculous.

Because, I mean, he would've been an assassin since before.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanksgiving week, wasn't it?

I see. I thought "Thanksgiving weekend" but I might have misread. In any case it should arrive this week, provided it passes certification quickly.

Can't wait to replay that campaign!

lol

Marleyman

Banned
Incredible. The yin to my yang. My arch-nemesis of taste. Amazing to me that two people can play all five games and come to almost exactly the opposite conclusion on all five.

Just shows that in the end there is no right or wrong answer; just enjoy what you enjoy.

jmro

Hit sequence 11. I can't believe this game got reviewed as well as it did.

The main story missions are generally poor and involve very little assassinating. Way too much eavesdropping and following people slowly.

The side content is largely hidden and out of the way, and provides no benefit to completing the main story missions. I tried to do some manufacturing and trading, but the UI was so painful that I could barely tell what I was doing. Also I haven't used money for the entire duration of the game. I think I bought one sword.

Why did they even put the boston & new york underground into the game? Did anyone find that useful?

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was the real AC3. I don't even know what they are doing over there anymore

Marleyman

Banned
The side content is largely hidden and out of the way, and provides no benefit to completing the main story missions.

How doesn't it? You have to explore as the game definitely doesn't hold your hand through stuff, which I like for a change.

jmro said:
I tried to do some manufacturing and trading, but the UI was so painful that I could barely tell what I was doing. Also I haven't used money for the entire duration of the game. I think I bought one sword.

The UI takes some getting used to but after some time I enjoyed it much more than previous titles. Also, you not spending money was your own fault.

jmro said:
Why did they even put the boston & new york underground into the game? Did anyone find that useful?

Fast traveling was definitely useful.

Can someone explain the various cannon rounds (for the Aquila) to me?

Normal cannon balls: the default, obviously.

Heat shot: supposedly better against big ships. Does this do extra damage compared to the normal cannon balls, or does it have some other effect (e.g. damage over time)?

Grape shot: supposedly better against smaller ships. I'm assuming the main benefit here is just that you don't need to be as accurate when shooting at the smaller ships, with a wider area of effect?

Chain shot: I know that this is to take down a ship's mast, but does that serve much of a purpose? I had one mission where I was forced to use it so that I could board another ship, but can you make a ship you're chasing be dead in the water using the chain shot on a normal mission?

Irish

Chain shot: I know that this is to take down a ship's mast, but does that serve much of a purpose? I had one mission where I was forced to use it so that I could board another ship, but can you make a ship you're chasing be dead in the water using the chain shot on a normal mission?

Chain Shot is great for immobilizing ships in order to finish the optional objectives in naval missions.

Blader

Hell of a lot of praise for ACB in here. I skipped it because I have zero interest in the recruit/train other assassins feature. Should I go back and give it a chance in spite of that?

Epcott

Hell of a lot of praise for ACB in here. I skipped it because I have zero interest in the recruit/train other assassins feature. Should I go back and give it a chance in spite of that?

Yes, it was as fun if not better than AC2. They pushed the boundaries of believability with Da Vinci's toys, but overall, it's so much more enjoyable than ACIII. Can't believe people would pass it up and play ACR instead. The bomb making and guild defense made that game unplayable for me.

Irish

Yes, it was as fun if not better than AC2. They pushed the boundaries of believability with Da Vinci's toys, but overall, it's so much more enjoyable than ACIII. Can't believe people would pass it up and play ACR instead. The bomb making and guild defense made that game unplayable for me.

Two optional things made it unplayable? The fuck am I reading?

I still don't know how anyone could actively hate the bombs.

Epcott

Two optional things made it unplayable? The fuck am I reading?

I still don't know how anyone could actively hate the bombs.

Optional? Well I guess... if you don't mind finding and tearing down wanted posters after every other property purchase and encounter.

And bomb making was a tedious affair. One thing ACIII did right was just giving you smoke bombs without having to make them from gathered ingredients. I suppose even the lack of needing a blade enhancement for grabbing high ledges in ACIII was also welcomed, now that I think about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If you have zero interest in that stuff it might not do much for you. Personally I found the Da Vinci stuff to be another lame add on and the story itself felt hilariously rushed for the last 20%, and Rome wasn't a very good area to traverse because I hate horses in AC.

It added a (great IMO) MP mode to the series, but beyond that it's my least favorite in the series.

Irish

Optional? Well I guess... if you don't mind finding and tearing down wanted posters after every other property purchase and encounter.

And bomb making was a tedious affair. One thing ACIII did right was just giving you smoke bombs without having to make them from gathered ingredients. I suppose even the lack of needing a blade enhancement for grabbing high ledges in ACIII was also welcomed, now that I think about it.

I don't know about that. I pretty much had to actively try to get my dens taken over to get one of the guild challenges completed.

I guess if all you want is smoke bombs, ACIII might be better in that regard, even though you could refill your bomb collection just by opening up the radiant wheel in Rev. And the ledge thing.... wow. Instead of quickly jumping up a twenty story tower in a short period of time, it takes Connor like 5 minutes to climb three stories. So slow.

Different people, different tastes.

Medalion

Banned
I was playing Ass Creed 3 in bed using the off-screen play

This game so far is pretty interesting

Not the kind of game I normally play

However, having said that... this game is not making use of the Wii-U all that much save for the off-screen play

Epcott

Ha ha, yeah, Connor's climbing is pretty slow (which is sadly faster than Aveline in Lib), but I can see how they wanted to make the higher ledges accessible from the get go as opposed to needing an attachment to get them.

I only played 8 hours or so into Rev, so maybe bomb fragments were not as much of a chore to get later on. But the notoriety going up every time you opened a shop (therefore putting your dens in danger of siege) really had me scratching my head.

I guess all in all, I understand how they wanted to make ACIII more streamlined, but for ever step forward, they took two steps back... the lack of weapon wheel being one of those missteps (that's one of the things of ACR I actually liked aside from the city of Constantinople and revisiting
Masyaf
).

AC2 > ACB > AC3 > ACR > AC1

My thoughts on the series. While ACB, was better with some gameplay improvements; I really liked the subject 16 stuff and that was pioneered in AC2 , so it gets the nod for originality.

conman

Eh? There were no wanted posters in ACR. All you had to do was pay off heralds, and they were on pretty much every corner. And if that still wasn't enough, the game would automatically throw an official your way whenever your notoriety got past 50%. Honestly, I have no idea how badly people must have playing ACR if they ever had to do a den defense. I put in 35-40 hours of playtime and never had to do a single one (other than the tutorial). Hell, it wasn't ever even close.

And bomb making was a tedious affair. One thing ACIII did right was just giving you smoke bombs without having to make them from gathered ingredients.
Bombs were easy and fun in ACR. You got ingredients for pretty much everything you did (killing, Mediterranean missions, respawning treasure chests, etc, etc). I used bombs all the time, and I was never short of ingredients. They were an awesome part of the strategic approach to your kills and escapes. They really opened up the game a lot and made it a much more stealthy and strategic experience. Really, I think a lot of people just went into ACR "guns blazing." Which is the last thing you should do in a stealth game.

I think many people approach the AC games as straight-up action games rather than as strategic action-stealth games. Which is probably why some people prefer AC2 and AC3. Those two games are the most "action-y" of the bunch, and neither of them favors a patient, strategic approach. AC2 and AC3 are pretty much just linear action games in open-world environments. The other three are open-world stealth and exploration games that focus on patience and strategy.

Tess3ract

Banned
I feel that AC2 and ACB are arguably switchable (I like acb more because the collection shit isn't as goddamn fucking tedious as in AC2) the fact almost everyone here rates ac1 at the bottom of the barrel (as it should be) and ac3 as better than acr doesn't instill me with much hope for any further AC games.

conman

I feel that AC2 and ACB are arguably switchable (I like acb more because the collection shit isn't as goddamn fucking tedious as in AC2) the fact almost everyone here rates ac1 at the bottom of the barrel (as it should be) and ac3 as better than acr doesn't instill me with much hope for any further AC games.
Don't believe "everyone." AC1 is still the best of the bunch, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so. ;)

If we were to do some metrics on this stuff, I'd wager that the most consistent data point is ACB being in the top two. Everything else is all over the place.

Top Bottom