• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

d1rtn4p

Okay, your CPU is more than fine for this game.
So, what AA setting have you chosen ? TXAA is very intensive, if you wish a smooth 60fps FXAA (high setting) is recommended.

There's basically normal, high, and very high for every graphics setting. Right now I have everything set to normal. As a heads up, switching AA between normal and very high seems to make no difference at all. I will say though, I saw the 360 version of this game at my friend's house, and even on all normal, it looks leagues better :)

Eideka

Banned
There's basically normal, high, and very high for every graphics setting. Right now I have everything set to normal. As a heads up, switching AA between normal and very high seems to make no difference at all. I will say though, I saw the 360 version of this game at my friend's house, and even on all normal, it looks leagues better :)

What driver are you using ? I know the new Geforce beta drivers are meant to improve performance by a fair margin.

Eideka

Banned
Anyone PC users mind posting screenshots or videos running at max settings to let us console ambassadors see what we missed?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRealTaos

If you deign to pay attention you should immediately notice the visual improvements, it seems Ubisoft Kiev have delivered. The game is not issues free on the optimization side but graphically kudos to them.

After having played the PS3 version for 3 weeks AC3 is quite a sight on PC. No horrible aliasing, no 20fps, no blur everywhere.

Night and day difference with the beta drivers. Runs smooth as butter now. Those things are essential.
Glad this fixed it. ;)

Although don't be surprised if you experience slowdowns on cities, I do too but it does not drop below 40 on my rig.

Any tips on naval ship battles against the bases?

I'm having a hard time figure out the proper distance away to hit stuff. Soemtimes it arcs low sometimes the right height o_O

And for the colonial army leading thing, am I suppose to just keep running back and forth telling people to shoot when there are dudes to shoot?

Kinda wish there was more... strategy lol.

Dicear

Banned
I'm playing this on a Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 Ghz (can't go higher, mobo does not allow it and I get BSOD's even on 3.2), HD6950 2GB with 4GB ram, installed on a SSD. And it does not run well, framerate is 20s or lower when I get to Boston, and even in the beginning it is not as smooth at all times. Changing the settings also doesn't seem te work at all, even at 800x600 with all settings at normal it is still bad. The new beta AMD drivers also don't help.

How can this be happening? I hear Nvidia users are getting much better performance with new drivers, could it be that AMD/ATI has yet to release a patch that fixes this? The only thing I am sure of anyway, is that if I set affinity to two cores, the framerate does not seem to improve or decrease, so I'm guessing that it is some kind of bug in AC 3 that makes it run poorly on AMD procs/cards.

Jtrizzy

Game crashed 3 times for me, then I verified files and downloaded a 1.2 kb file and have updated to the beta drivers. Hope this gets better, it seems to run just fine with AA on medium, everything else maxed, and 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRealTaos

If you deign to pay attention you should immediately notice the visual improvements, it seems Ubisoft Kiev have delivered. The game is not issues free on the optimization side but graphically kudos to them.

After having played the PS3 version for 3 weeks AC3 is quite a sight on PC. No horrible aliasing, no 20fps, no blur everywhere.

Glad this fixed it. ;)

Although don't be surprised if you experience slowdowns on cities, I do too but it does not drop below 40 on my rig.

This is reassuring. Glad I only rented. Definitely picking up when I'm back in town. Can't wait, as I remember some folks were worried Kiev would drop the ball...

Eideka

Banned
This is reassuring. Glad I only rented. Definitely picking up when I'm back in town. Can't wait, as I remember some folks were worried Kiev would drop the ball...

I was one of them. Their track record did not inspire much confidence.

Their Revelations port was good though but it did not come with any DX11 bells and whistles which is the case with AC3 and they optimized the game really well.

A strong CPU is advised to max out the game.

Jtrizzy

game is crashing a lot for me to black screen with music playing. More during cutscenes than anything else. when moving around everything seems great as far as frame rate. I'm still on the boat though.

Locke_211

I did all the Desmond bits where you have to
fit the power things to make different areas of the temple unlock, which ended with the drawbridge behind the forcefield extending to clear the way once the field is down.

But now when I leave the Animus at the start of Sequence 12
the bridge is still a way out, even though when I fit the last power thing it extended. This better not be a glitch so once the forcefield is down I can't continue!

Lol.

Late Desmond mission spoiler I guess.

chasing Cross in Obstergo and he just glitched out trying to climb up a wall so I just had to stab him

Dartastic

Just found that cave in sequence 3. When do I get to play as conor? Ugh.

Edit. Awesome. People respond faster on miiverse than here.

Crashpro3 said:
Anyone PC users mind posting screenshots or videos running at max settings to let us console ambassadors see what we missed?
Maxxed settings, TXAA, downsampled from 1080p:

iVpZufjAdYaWw.jpg

i06APO0Mfrf4t.jpg

ibwblm9EYfWFc4.jpg

iwM1zWAuW4yez.jpg

Yeah, as soon as I hit Boston I started to see dips into the 30s.
40's-high 30's for me and I'm running:

i5 2500k @4.2ghz
GTX 680
8 GB Ram

Setting don't affect performance at all to be frank. This is running with the new beta drivers. There are just certain areas in Boston that tank the FPS regardless of settings it appears (I haven't dropped to low settings on anything to be fair and changing environment detail to medium did give a slight boost). I capped the FPS at 30 and left it at that. I'd prefer the consistent FPS than seeing it drop from 60 to 40 and back.

haikira

i5 2500k @4.2ghz
GTX 680
8 GB Ram

Setting don't affect performance at all to be frank. This is running with the new beta drivers. There are just certain areas in Boston that tank the FPS regardless of settings it appears (I haven't dropped to low settings on anything to be fair and changing environment detail to medium did give a slight boost). I capped the FPS at 30 and left it at that. I'd prefer the consistent FPS than seeing it drop from 60 to 40 and back.

Have you got the beta Nvidia drivers? My 2500k is only clocked at 3.8 and i have a GTX 670 and i'm definitely getting better performance completely maxed out. In Boston I'll dip down to 45 at the worst and the rest of the time i'm solid 60.

Is it wrong that I wouldn't mind if the game let me play as Hatham the whole game?:D

Quite the opposite. You're a sane man for thinking that, in my opinion.

haikira said:
Have you got the beta Nvidia drivers?
Yes. I mentioned it in my post. Just updated a bit ago. Don't know what could be going on then. The lowest I've seen it go is 38-40 but it's only for an instant and then it pops back up to 60. Again, for now I'm fine a cap of 30 with everything maxxed. I hate inconsistency in FPS and I hate screen tearing even more so disabling vsync is a no go for me.

haikira said:
You're a sane man for thinking that, in my opinion.
It's very early on but he's such a great character. Love the voice actor and the refined way in which he threatens people.

"Insult me again and I'll cut your head off myself, Captain."

haikira

Yes. I mentioned it in my post. Just updated a bit ago. Don't know what could be going on then. The lowest I've seen it go is 38-40 but it's only for an instant and then it pops back up to 60. Again, for now I'm fine a cap of 30. I hate inconsistency in FPS and I hate screen tearing even more so disabling vsync is a no go for me.

So you did. I'm quite sleepy at the minute and completely looked over it.

Hopefully the next full release drivers will improve things further for people.

Zeliard

I put a few hours into the PS3 version via Redbox, and it's fun going through it again on PC as Haythan (big end of Sequence 3 spoiler)
knowing he's a Templar. His ruthless and cold demeanor during certain parts takes on a new significance.

I don't know have you gotten to some of the winter portions of the game? The shadow mapping gets fucked up so bad from the deformable snow, causing really bad flickering.

Running a 590 with the beta drivers

I put a few hours into the PS3 version via Redbox, and it's fun going through it again on PC as Haythan (Sequence 3 spoiler)
knowing he's a Templar. His ruthless and cold demeanor during certain parts takes on a new significance.
Ugh I hate myself for reading that :p

I should know better by now.

EagleEyes

i5 2500k @4.2ghz
GTX 680
8 GB Ram

Is there an option in the game to cap the framerate at 30? If not what are you using to cap it?

Tess3ract

Banned

i5 2500k @4.2ghz
GTX 680
8 GB Ram

What the everloving fuck?

JB1981

I put a few hours into the PS3 version via Redbox, and it's fun going through it again on PC as Haythan (Sequence 3 spoiler)

does the game feel much better? i'm *still* contemplating picking up an X51 .. to basically play this and Far Cry 3.

Zeliard

does the game feel much better? i'm *still* contemplating picking up an X51 .. to basically play this and Far Cry 3.

A much higher, steadier framerate is as welcome as you'd expect, and the game looks much sharper and cleaner. Those things help the overall experience but the game itself will naturally still share many of the core problems as the console versions.

I also haven't really had performance issues with a similar system as Futurevoid. With an i5 @ 4.5ghz + well OC'd 680 it's pretty consistently 60 FPS in Boston with all the bells and whistles on including TXAA. Mebbe try turning on triple buffering.

zRebellion

Neo Member
Does anyone have any tips to make Boston run a bit better? My framerate dips to the 15 - 20s in Boston unless I'm looking directly at the sky, a wall, or the ground, lol.

Decreasing settings doesn't change anything, it's weird. Probably CPU bottlenecking it.

jett

D-Member
Does anyone have any tips to make Boston run a bit better? My framerate dips to the 15 - 20s in Boston unless I'm looking directly at the sky, a wall, or the ground, lol.

Decreasing settings doesn't change anything, it's weird. Probably CPU bottlenecking it.

Seems like it's an issue with the engine, since ALL platforms suffer in the cities.

Top Bottom