• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

LiK

You have to equip the ability to call your horse as opposed to just pressing a button at anytime like past games.

Not the only problem, they also made the whole menu unintuitive compared to the previous games. No need to change it but they did. Going back and forth through the Animus database and other parts etc had too many steps. Also, why hold LB down for the Assassin's menu? Just make it a click. The whole thing is kinda a mess.

Epcott

Eh? There were no wanted posters in ACR. All you had to do was pay off heralds, and they were on pretty much every corner. And if that still wasn't enough, the game would automatically throw an official your way whenever your notoriety got past 50%. Honestly, I have no idea how badly people must have playing ACR if they ever had to do a den defense. I put in 35-40 hours of playtime and never had to do a single one (other than the tutorial). Hell, it wasn't ever even close.

I haven't played ACR since summer, so I suppose they were heralds and not posters. The game says that if your notoriety reaches a certain point, your den's are put in danger, so I just made a frantic dash to clear it before the situation presented itself out of fear of the defense minigame. I never had notoriety get above 50%, so I didn't know about the officials. It wasn't as though the game made that clear in the beginning.

I think many people approach the AC games as straight-up action games rather than as strategic action-stealth games. Which is probably why some people prefer AC2 and AC3. Those two games are the most "action-y" of the bunch, and neither of them favors a patient, strategic approach. AC2 and AC3 are pretty much just linear action games in open-world environments. The other three are open-world stealth and exploration games that focus on patience and strategy.

I agree with this as far as AC3 is concerned. The only time one would focus on stealth is when synching 100%. But many of the missions didn't call for it: The recruit missions and the countless chase the Templar missions, which is a shame.

Maybe one day, after I finish Liberation, I'll go back and play ACR, now that the fear of tower defense has been laid to rest.

rataven

The economy in this game is.....weird. I appreciate that they tried to make you work for your money by recruiting artisans and finding recipes and crafting stuff, but it's never explained very well and the payoff is more effort than it's worth. Figuring out what products to sell to which merchants for max profits is tedious. And then my stupid convoy gets attacked for transporting wooden barrels and catnip, of all things. Oy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Did they strip out uPlay functionality in the Wii U version?
It's odd, because I don't see any option for it in any of the game's menus, but the news banner makes repeated mention of the uPlay functionality.
And Rabbids Land, the OTHER Wii U Ubisoft launch title, DOES have uPlay!

Amagon

I got a free code to download this game from the Ubisoft store. Any idea when I'm suppose to get an email to preload or something?

Holy. Mother. Of. God. I know GAF is prone to hyperbole, but Jesus Christ (Forgive me Father for taking the Lord's name in vain) this final chase mission is god damn horrible and I think it's the feather on the cap that has soured me on this whole game. I love, I love the AC franchise. Even with the bugs and everything, I was still dutifuly plowing through the game and having fun. I want to know who in their right mind designed this mission? Who? Who at Ubisoft thought this would be fun?

Not only is the game one of my biggest disappointments this generation, this chase sequence has made the last level in GTAIV look good. Congratulations whoever designed this sequence. You made the last mission of GTAIV look fantastic. I know I'll look forward to 45 minutes of credits if I actually finish this, but really, just, god damn, you really made this? You really did this?

jmro

Holy. Mother. Of. God. I know GAF is prone to hyperbole, but Jesus Christ (Forgive me Father for taking the Lord's name in vain) this final chase mission is god damn horrible and I think it's the feather on the cap that has soured me on this whole game.

This. I just finished it. Probably took 20 stabs at the last mission. Terrible

Did they strip out uPlay functionality in the Wii U version?
It's odd, because I don't see any option for it in any of the game's menus, but the news banner makes repeated mention of the uPlay functionality.
And Rabbids Land, the OTHER Wii U Ubisoft launch title, DOES have uPlay!

It does, there are unlocks and rewards for the game. But I couldn't find the uPlay menu in game, I had to go to the website.

Side note: The Wii U version supports 3D! I was looking for this answer forever lol

Replicant

Holy. Mother. Of. God. I know GAF is prone to hyperbole, but Jesus Christ (Forgive me Father for taking the Lord's name in vain) this final chase mission is god damn horrible and I think it's the feather on the cap that has soured me on this whole game. I love, I love the AC franchise. Even with the bugs and everything, I was still dutifuly plowing through the game and having fun. I want to know who in their right mind designed this mission? Who? Who at Ubisoft thought this would be fun?

Not only is the game one of my biggest disappointments this generation, this chase sequence has made the last level in GTAIV look good. Congratulations whoever designed this sequence. You made the last mission of GTAIV look fantastic. I know I'll look forward to 45 minutes of credits if I actually finish this, but really, just, god damn, you really made this? You really did this?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA X infinity. This is what you get for not trusting us.

The hardest part of the last chase is the first 2 guards + the bomb. The guard will always shoot the bomb so if you can't avoid it, it'll stop you right on track and you'll lose time. Ditto with the guards. So the best way to avoid both is to swerve left to the dock right from the beginning. But doing this is very hard because the control is a joke and if you press run while trying to get down, Connor will hang on the upper dock like a stupid monkey. Then even if you're lucky and manage to run down the dock smoothly, you still have to dodge civilians who got propeled down due to the bomb. And then there are 2-3 idiots waiting around in the upper stair area near the guard so if they are on the left hand side, you may as well restart because the guard will definitely hit you.

If you can get past this, you have to options to proceed, running towards the boat (which will avoid the 3 sets of guards) or swerve right and then left of the crates near the 2nd and 3rd set of guards. I couldn't do the boat. Too much variables which will cause Connor to monkey around like an idiot. So I chose avoiding guards instead, which is probably harder to do but by then I already knew the tactic like the back of my hand and I could always avoid them easily as long as I am not running out of time.

The 4th set of guards (gun crews) are easy to avoid just by swerving to the left and from then on just hope you don't bump into other idiots on your way to the warehouse. But here's the kicker: even though the game will tick the "do not bump into civilians" optional objective, it doesn't check point the game. So if you fuck the fire part, you'll have to redo the whole thing all over again. And here's the 2nd fun part of the fire area: You HAVE TO follow the prescribed path the game has given you. Deviating from the path in any shape or form, will cause de-synchronization. Of course, you also can't catch a fire while climbing.

Have fun! >:D

Linius

The economy in this game is.....weird. I appreciate that they tried to make you work for your money by recruiting artisans and finding recipes and crafting stuff, but it's never explained very well and the payoff is more effort than it's worth. Figuring out what products to sell to which merchants for max profits is tedious. And then my stupid convoy gets attacked for transporting wooden barrels and catnip, of all things. Oy.

The game indeed sucks at explaining it. But now I've figured it out I make easy money. I mostly buy bear pelts and sell them by naval convoy with minimum risk (done all the naval missions). Then just wait like thirty minutes and you got cash. To speed things up you can upgrade your convoy to ship more in one go or just send multiple convoys at the same time. Just make sure to secure routes by liberating forts or doing your privateer missions at sea.

Thing is, I only bothered to look into it after I finished the game. So there's really no need for more money for me anymore. I have to say that I still had more than enough money by looting chests and training my recruits. Mainly because I didn't had to spend that much. I bought all the maps, all the Aquila upgrades, some suit colors and a lot of arrows/bullets etc.

exYle

I actually found a decent strategy for this chase.

Before you start, make sure you have both smoke bombs and your pistol quick selected - THIS IS CRUCIAL. If you don't have it on before the mission start, just do it quickly the next time you fail and restart the mission.
Grab your pistol. Run a little forward, shoot the barrel that makes life hell for everyone so it explodes without harming you, and then immediately switch to smoke bombs. Now, the first line of guards is programmed to shoot at the barrel, regardless of whether the barrel is there or not. So, now that you've gotten rid of it, they still shoot at it like a group of dumbasses, and you can get past them pretty easily - drop a smoke bomb if you like, but they should be busy reloading.
I think there are three or four total guard lines - smoke bomb them as many times as necessary UNTIL the last line - where
Lee
hangs a left. At this point, there will be one last guard line standing next to a corner - you can bypass this line completely! It's just a short ledge to your left that connects to the corner so you can just hop on it and run past the last group of guards. From this point on it should be fairly smooth sailing, as once you get to
the mid-construction boat, Lee
will actually wait for you to catch up before he starts running again.

Acheteedo

Finished the game last night, overall feel quite disappointed, I was a huge fan of ACII and loved Brotherhood so I consider myself a fan of the series. I have a few major problems, some of them were present in the older AC games but are getting much less forgivable as time goes on...

The bad:

The story was all over the place, it was difficult to follow at times but even when it was straight forward to follow, the influx of white loading screens that joined the cutscenes together really dragged you out of the experience. The mission- and cut-scenes were poorly connected even without considering the loading screens, there was a terrible sense of flow throughout the game.

The series really needs to focus, it needs to trim down or streamline, words that are poison among hardcore gamers but AC3 is the perfect example of why modern game development sometimes needs to streamline. There are too many game mechanics to learn in AC3, and some of them feel straight up bad, e.g. shooting guns and arrows. There also needs to be more forgiveness with de-synching, it was either much worse in this game (too easy to de-synch or objectives weren't clear) or perhaps I've lost all patience for it.

For the first 6-odd hours there is way too much going on on the HUD - email messages, objectives, sub-objectives, control instructions, waypoints etc. this has to be streamlined.

The graphics of the series have entirely lost their lustre at this stage, from the opening loading screen you instantly see jaggies all over the logo and they remain throughout the experience, this is a sub-HD experience, I truly hope the next AC game hits next gen and tidies this up.

Fuckin' Desmond's back lump... How did that make it to the final version?

Horse riding was annoying, there must be a better solution than constantly hitting invisible walls, let the horse go over a cliff and break its legs, at least that would be funny.

The trading system is balls, I like the idea in principle but hated the execution. Since the trading system was the driving force for improving the homestead... I therefore didn't *want* to improve the homestead, I just did it for something to do. Otherwise I liked the homestead.

It wasn't a write-off though, the good:

Colonial America, a fantastic time period and the team made a a great game world out of it.

The start with Haytham was a highlight for me, contrary to most impressions I thought the pace was good, I was intrigued, particularly loved the ship segment.

I elude to the messy story above, but that's more in terms of presentation, the story itself (i.e. the sequence of major events and character development) was pretty great on the whole,
I really didn't like the way it ended Haytham's story, that seemed to going somewhere much more interesting but then it just kind of ended suddenly, and Charles Lee's end could have been great but the poor presentation completely ruined it.

Although the presentation of the future segments were again pretty bad, I liked the story a lot and can't wait to see where things go from here.

I loved the main characters. Haytham, Conner, Charles Lee and Achilles were particular highlights.

So yeah, overall disappointing, but I'm not done with the series by any means, hoping they take on board the criticisms and I've got my fingers crossed for a next gen boost.

SxP

Holy. Mother. Of. God. I know GAF is prone to hyperbole, but Jesus Christ (Forgive me Father for taking the Lord's name in vain) this final chase mission is god damn horrible

Yeah, did this today as well and it was very frustrating. The bomb didn't even give me any trouble thankfully. But the guards just have way more range than I thought they did. And then Connor sometimes just refused to do what I want him to do. That happened all the time during the rest of the game, but it was extra annoying here. And then in the burning boat I got stuck a couple of times on the scenery. And then there's no checkpoint before entering the boat. Took we way too long to finish that mission.

Replicant

Anyone, no? I'll stop after this try I swear :p

I think so. I didn't bother doing them during main campaign and it looks like the choices are still there.

Also, I remember someone saying you're better off doing it later because by then you'll have enough money to buy canons etc.

LiK

Welcome to the club. So many reviews didn't mention the shit chase missions. I am disappoint.

rvy

Banned
Welcome to the club. So many reviews didn't mention the shit chase missions. I am disappoint.

So many reviews didn't mention half of the issues that the game has. Also bear in mind that these people reviewed the game without the day one patch and still threw 9s and 10s around like candy.

lifa-cobex

I feel that AC2 and ACB are arguably switchable (I like acb more because the collection shit isn't as goddamn fucking tedious as in AC2) the fact almost everyone here rates ac1 at the bottom of the barrel (as it should be) and ac3 as better than acr doesn't instill me with much hope for any further AC games.

Indeed.
AC1 having too little and AC3 having too much which wasn't fully developed and tested.
The optional objectives in AC3 are far too overwhelming. As opposed to ACB, you have to go out of your way to complete them. It doesn't flow with the current missions at all as they are far too difficult.
ACB's work into the current missions well.

Ultimate pet peeve so far in AC3. Wooden fucking trees (wait!).
Wish Ubi too the time to work on branches moving around you instead of you running into fixed tree block. Same for bushes. It's fucking annoying.

Eideka

Banned
For people wary of the PC port, if you have a good CPU you can go for it. :)

I'm not going to bother making screenshots, the game looks really, really good and so far (in my case) is well optimized.

I must admit it's a nice change from the PS3 version I was playing, no crashes, no bugs, no freezing.

Hope its stays that way.

It most likely won't

Gibbo

For people wary of the PC port, if you have a good CPU you can go for it. :)

I'm not going to bother making screenshots, the game looks really, really good and so far (in my case) is well optimized.

I must admit it's a nice change from the PS3 version I was playing, no crashes, no bugs, no freezing.

Hope its stays that way.

It most likely won't

What graphics card are you using? Hoping my HD7870 can pull this shit off

Pc port is decent.

Like white guy more than Connor so far. Like the whole Sherlock Holmes vibe.

Water waves look great. Horses bugging out is great.

Fucking optional objectives though.

Stealth is terrible especially with bugged out AI.

Stealth killing with bare hands not counting as a Kill is nice.

I think just ignoring side objectives makes the game a lot more fun IMO.

Can I unlock more quick travel locations?

Also how do I do underground stuff. I swear they mention it, but I don't remember.

conman

I'd be surprised if a reviewer actually manage to 100% synched a sequence, let alone doing all 12 of them.
Judging by how few issues they noticed, I'm sure they just plowed through the main missions and "tasted" a few of the side missions here and there.

The problem is that the game is too big to review in a normal time-frame, especially in the midst of the holiday release season. This is true of most open-world game reviews. They should be treated more like RPG reviews or MMO reviews. They need time to sit with the game to suss out the broader systems; in other words, they need to play open-world games the way that players do.

But too many reviewers treat big open-world games like linear games, and go from A to B to C in order to reach the "end" as quickly as possible and get a review written on time. Playing the game at light speed, the probably wouldn't notice how many things are wrong or busted in AC3. Most people don't play open world games like that; hell, most gamers don't even finish open-world games. They screw around in them. Play with the systems. Run around the world at random.

The final chase is really easy if you know these three things:

1) When the chase starts, climb over the small stack of barrels on your left. Animation priority of climbing overwrites the explosion knockback.

2) Smokebomb before you come up to the guards. Smokebomb the other sets, too.

3) Even though it looks like your chase target is going down in the ship, there's a piece of wood that collapses up there and lets you just climb through.

Rodhull

I've seen a few reviewers say on twitter that they got AC3 roughly a month before release. That seems a reasonable amount of time even for a game this big.

conman

I've seen a few reviewers say on twitter that they got AC3 roughly a month before release. That seems a reasonable amount of time even for a game this big.
Getting it that early doesn't mean they spend any more time with it. That same month was a busy time for reviews. The problem has more to do with how reviewers approach playing a game for review. They usually look for the fastest, easiest way to get from A to Z. For most games, that's not a big problem. But for a large open-world game, it is.

Overdoziz

Banned
So I just completed the game after ~30 hours. Really enjoyed it. There should've been more assassination missions but aside from that I liked the game. I love how big some of the areas are, particularly the frontier. That place is huge and there's so much to explore. Ended up even collecting all the chests, feathers and pages, which is quite something considering I never bother with that kind of stuff in any game. Collecting the pages was actually nice twist on normal collectibles with you having to chase them across the rooftops, quite enjoyed that.

Storyline spoilers:
I thought Haytham was probably the most interesting character, didn't see the Templar twist coming which was great. Wish killing him would've been the final mission though. I'm not sure why Charles Lee is so important to be the main villain in the game. I get that he's a threat to your village but you only see the guy a handful of times throughout the campaign and he never really came off as the main enemy.

And the navy missions were fucking awesome. Sailing your ship through the waves in a blazing storm while trying to destroy other ships was great. Only thing I didn't like was how you could protect yourself against those huge waves by pressing X. When I first saw one I figured you'd have to do some manoeuvre to limit damage, but no, a single press of a button was enough. That was pretty lame, but aside from that great times were had.

RS4-

I think I have to update FRAPS or something, but so far, the whole opera house/ship part have been pretty smooth. When I finally got to America I quit.

I'll try dxtory later to see actual FPS.

d1rtn4p

Damn, I saw my GTX 580 as a modest card up until I tried this game. I have everything set to normal and walking through Boston is like watching a slide show... Worst performance I've ever seen. I'm downloading the new beta drivers in hopes that I get a huge boost!

Eideka

Banned
Damn, I saw my GTX 580 as a modest card up until I tried this game. I have everything set to normal and walking through Boston is like watching a slide show... Worst performance I've ever seen. I'm downloading the new beta drivers in hopes that I get a huge boost!
What's your CPU ?

That does not really add up. You have installed the day one patch I suppose.

UrbanRats

Damn, i have the same card. :(

EDIT: And a slower cpu.

My friend who has my exact rig but with Xfire 6950's is saying he's getting pretty bad performance also. Said that jumping between the highest and lowest settings seems to make very little difference. May run over there and check it out myself. 2500k @ 4.5GHz and 8 gigs of ram.

d1rtn4p

My friend who has my exact rig but with Xfire 6950's is saying he's getting pretty bad performance also. Said that jumping between the highest and lowest settings seems to make very little difference. May run over there and check it out myself.

Your friend is right. I had everything maxed and then I switched everything to normal; did very little, if anything, to the performance.

Eideka

Banned
Don't know about a patch. I bought the game off Steam. My CPU is an i7 2600K 3.4ghz.

Okay, your CPU is more than fine for this game.
So, what AA setting have you chosen ? TXAA is very intensive, if you wish a smooth 60fps FXAA (high setting) is recommended.

I'm sorry your rig should crush this game on highest settings (except TXAA). On Youtube you can find guys running the game maxed out with a GTX570 and an I7 920 processor without issue.

Top Bottom