• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I'll be damned if this soundtrack isn't the best soundtrack I've ever heard. Up there with the Scott Pilgrim game soundtrack.
The track that plays when letting the game sit on the xmb has been playing for over a half hour as I've been playing with my son in the other room (within earshot of course). Loving it.

Nori Chan

Just curious to know to see if the multiplayer characters in this game are in single player?

I know in past AC games with MP, they had the personas show up as templars in single player.

So... what's the point of navel missions? Don't think i get money or anything o_O.

btw: whats the best way to make money?

It better not be the random frontier trading thing.

So... what's the point of navel missions? Don't think i get money or anything o_O.

btw: whats the best way to make money?

It better not be the random frontier trading thing.

I'm not sure anyone currently alive knows what that "Risk" factor means. I did them all because I enjoyed them, the only payoff as far as I can tell is
an achievement
. I'm talking specifically about the ship's wheel trade route missions, not the templar/trinket missions. The trinket missions will get you some money.

Best way to make money at first is to loot any chests you find early on. By the time you first reach a big city, you can have up to I think 30k if you obsessively searched everywhere. When you're at the general store in the city, buy as many treasure/collectible maps as possible and make sure to get the chest and trinket ones. That will open things up pretty early for you and give you more to do besides the story.

Later you will be given other methods to make money and better equipment, but I can tell you I finished the game and sent out only one or two convoys, and I really didn't know what I was doing. The risk/reward/payoff cycle wasn't there for me. But I was still able to buy all the stuff I wanted/needed throughout the game.

EDIT: I should add though that I wasn't going for all the achievements. I full sync'd it all but haven't fully upgraded everything/done all the challenges, etc.

Is there even some secret max stat weapons in this game?

Like equivalent of 'altair's sword' (if that's in this).

btw: are there 2h swords in this? 2h axes are currently my favorite weapon to use lol. They are way faster than in previous games.

God this game is frustrating. I spent the first couple of hours in absolute bliss playing with the new controls - one button free-running, no more random jumps into empty air, fights that don't start with me mashing the 'lock-on' button and praying Ezio will pull out his sword in time. Haytham and Connor are so gloriously agile; with a flick of the analogue stick they'll juke like Wei Shen, whereas Altair and Ezio have always handled like cargo ships. You can sprint headlong into a crowd and Haytham will just slip between people like the free-runner you've always wanted to be, rather than initiating the thirty-second-long tripping and falling animation from the old games. It's absolutely glorious.

My elation lasted until the mission where Haytham puts on a redcoat disguise and has to rescue a bunch of native slaves from Silas' base. Oh shit, that guy saw me! Better hide in the grass... hide... in the grass... now. NOW. What the fuck Haytham why aren't you hiding? This is about the time I realized that hiding spots in this game only work when you're already hidden, and every couple of hours the game was going to make me play a terrible instant-fail stealth mission that the controls and mechanics just aren't good enough to make enjoyable. You can't cross huge distances quickly like Batman and Corvo, and there's no darkness mechanic to hide like Garrett, so as soon as things go bad in Assassin's Creed you're just plain fucked.

What makes it worse is that the 'hiding' mechanics aren't under your control. You just steer Haytham at a hiding spot and hope he'll hide. To a certain extent every mechanic in AC is out of your control, with huge animation priority on everything and a control scheme that makes you basically point and wait, but at least you aren't usually punished with instant failure. These stealth missions are so incredibly infuriating, because I never feel like it's my fault when I fail. Haytham decides not to respond to my controls, or an NPC freaks, or the game just screws me over for no reason. And it makes it so much worse when I know I could singlehandedly murder every single man stationed at this fort if I needed to, but the game's forcing me to crouch in grass that I'm clearly visible through just because some game designer decided it had to be that way.

I just got through a series of missions introducing me to the game's notoriety system, and I was so close to just quitting immediately. I don't want to know about your terrible notoriety mechanics. I don't want to do any of that shit. Running around on rooftops and murdering dudes at full speed is the best part of the game, and all the notoriety system does is punish you for that. It's like Ubisoft resents you enjoying the fun parts of their games. In Revelations your notoriety meter filled up by one quarter for every business you bought, and when it was full you had to play their godawful Tower Defence game. When you reach full notoriety in AC3 guards will attack you on sight, and there are five guards on every corner in the city who are all linked to the hivemind. Why would I want to play that game?

SJRB

Gold Member
In fact, buying property in ACR resulted in 75% notoriety while bribing a herald only brought down said notoriety 50%. So for every store bought you had to visit two heralds.

Mindblowingly stupid game design.

Yuripaw

Banned
So I picked up this game on steam last night. Just starting it out. I had heard, and thought maybe the introduction at the beginning of this game would explain the events of the previous games pretty well so that non-AC players would understand it. I've played most of the previous ones. AC2 and Brotherhood were awesome, but I couldn't bring myself to play AC revelations.

I didnt really find this intro explained what happened in AC revelations at all really, and I was wondering/hoping someone could maybe give me a run down of what some of the important plot points of AC revelations were, and how we ended up where we are at the beginning of this game. Brotherhood ended with Desmond
killing Lucy, and one of the first civilization people, I can't remember which one, forcing him to do it. I wonder if we were supposed to believe Lucy was a templar spy or something? Im not sure, but I already miss her.
Now we're here though in some cave, with Desmond's dad? I guess I could use more explanation than what I was led to believe I'd need.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is that version 1.01?

Version 1.02. It's 31 MB and it's taking FOREVER to download, holy shit.

I didnt really find this intro explained what happened in AC revelations at all really

That's because nothing really happens in Revelations. The Ezio storyline gets "wrapped up" [somewhat I guess]. As for Desmond, nothing really happens other than some fluff and unnecessary backstory we already knew. Only relevant thing happens in the last 30 seconds of the game in which he wakes up from this coma where he finds himself in the company of his dad, Shaun and Rebecca, and knowing the location of Juno's temple. It literally ends where ACIII begins, the back of the van.

So I picked up this game on steam last night. Just starting it out. I had heard, and thought maybe the introduction at the beginning of this game would explain the events of the previous games pretty well so that non-AC players would understand it. I've played most of the previous ones. AC2 and Brotherhood were awesome, but I couldn't bring myself to play AC revelations.

I didnt really find this intro explained what happened in AC revelations at all really, and I was wondering/hoping someone could maybe give me a run down of what some of the important plot points of AC revelations were, and how we ended up where we are at the beginning of this game. Brotherhood ended with Desmond
killing Lucy, and one of the first civilization people, I can't remember which one, forcing him to do it. I wonder if we were supposed to believe Lucy was a templar spy or something? Im not sure, but I already miss her.
Now we're here though in some cave, with Desmond's dad? I guess I could use more explanation than what I was led to believe I'd need.

So, in AC Rev, Desmond awakens in the 'Black Room', which is the inner guts of the Animus. There, in a simulation called 'Animus Island', he encounters the personality imprint of Subject 16, which was left in the Animus after he died. 16 explains to Desmond that his mind's gone haywire and the three lives he's lived (Altaïr's, Ezio's and his) are now blending together through the Bleeding Effect. The only way to stop that from happening is by reliving his ancestor's further memories until they're exhausted. That moment is called a 'Synch Nexus', and it's what Desmond is working towards the entire game. But he has to be quick about it: technically, he's not supposed to be in the Black Room, and if the Animus discovers the fault, it'll self-correct and reboot, destroying Desmond's mind in the progress.

On the outside, Shaun goes to Lucy's burial while Rebecca and Desmond's dad (who is one of the voices heard in the credits of Brotherhood) take Desmond across the pond to America, which is where the coordinates for the Grand Temple lead them.

On the inside, Desmond goes to work. He relives Ezio's later memories, while Ezio occasionally relives memories of Altaïr through Memory Seals left by the First Civilization. He also gets to untangle his own memories in the Animus interface through some excruciating puzzle sections. These get expanded in DLC, which explains that Lucy was a Templar Triple Agent, among other things. At the end of the game, Ezio reaches Altaïr's body and relives his final memory. He then discovers the Apple Altaïr hid all those years ago. Ezio, realizing his destiny, addresses Desmond, much like Minerva did at the end of AC2.

I heard your name once before, Desmond, a long time ago. And now it lingers in my mind like an image from an old dream. I do not know where you are, or by what means you can hear me. But I know you are listening. I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon. And here, at last, I discover a strange truth. That I am only a conduit for a message that eludes my understanding. Who are we, who have been so blessed to share our stories like this? To speak across centuries? Maybe you will answer all the questions I have asked. Maybe you will be the one to make all this suffering worth something in the end.

Ezio's life as an Assassin ends, and with it, all the useful memories he has left. This triggers the Synch Nexus. As the Animus is rebooting itself, Desmond comes into contact with an afterimage of Jupiter, a third member of the First Civilization. Jupiter explains the First Civ had several contingency plans to stop the impending apocalypse, but that none worked. He directs Desmond to the Grand Temple, where a final solution lies. Desmond then regains conciousness and tells his father, Rebecca and Shaun that he knows what to do. That's where AC3 begins.

In fact, buying property in ACR resulted in 75% notoriety while bribing a herald only brought down said notoriety 50%. So for every store bought you had to visit two heralds.

Mindblowingly stupid game design.

I'm fairly sure it was 25% for buying stores, -25% for heralds. I got into the habit of doing 1-to-1, or buying 3 then bribing the same herald 3 times.

Yes, incredibly obnoxious.

iNvid02

dude, DUDE, doood!

this is a good visual summary

When asked why they excluded a crouch option, they explained "because social stealth".

....If running over peddler's carts, climbing buildings, wielding deadly weapons, always wearing a hood, jumping into wells and hay stacks isn't frowned upon why would ducking?

The next iteration needs more aware AI in the sense that doing an odd activity in a crowd would do more than just trigger "why would you do that?" dialog. Doing such a thing should create a zone where people are now aware of your presence and you need to exit that zone if you want to become incognito again. Performing an illegal act within the zone will cause the citizens to point the guards to your vicinity. Dropping money or other options to distract civilians before doing something suspicious (including crouching behind an object to hide) would be beneficial.

THAT would be social stealth. You're welcome, Ubi.

rvy

Banned
When asked why they excluded a crouch option, they explained "because social stealth".

....If running over peddler's carts, climbing buildings, wielding deadly weapons, always wearing a hood, jumping into wells and hay stacks isn't frowned upon why would ducking?

Exactly, lol. I never understood that justification.

What does it mean if a recruit has an X under their picture on the assassin contracts screen? Can't assign three of my five guys to any contracts. Two of them are new so they're definitely not injured or anything.

iNvid02

so the PS3 exclusive dlc wasnt really that exclusive?

sshot1q7odu.png

so i didnt have to suffer on ps3 to play those missions
LLShC.gif

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Really want to get this for pc, how much of a hassle is Uplay? Also how are the pc versions of the Ass creed franchise? Good enough ports?

KingKong

Well I think I'm done with the tutorial.....after 6 hours...
and now I get a Desmond mission? fuuuuuuck

Really want to get this for pc, how much of a hassle is Uplay? Also how are the pc versions of the Ass creed franchise? Good enough ports?

Uplay is no hassle at all, other than not having steam achievements. PC version is fine, runs well (with the Nvidia beta patch) and the mouse+keyboard controls in AC3 are very good (except for having the fire/qte button be the down arrow, wtf is that)

Naite

Looks like the new patch didn't fix the encyclopedia farmers glitch for me. If you have something 3/3 but still have something you didn't scan, it'll work, but if you scanned everything already before the patch, there's nothing you can do.

iNvid02

cant believe i put myself through the pos ps3 version, should have waited for pc, the first thing i noticed was the minimal load times between cut scenes, on console it was a joke.

maxed out with high aa give 60fps mostly but there are still drops here and there, hopefully they will address these coz it really shouldnt be doing this.

how much better would this game be, if you just played as haytham?

At the very least I wouldn't facepalm at everything he says.

Does he have some unique attack animations? I swear his sword attacks are different from connor.

TheLight

how much better would this game be, if you just played as haytham?

At the very least I wouldn't facepalm at everything he says.

Does he have some unique attack animations? I swear his sword attacks are different from connor.
HAytham is way better than Connor. And he has this one sick animation where just slices away at a dudes torso.

SJRB

Gold Member
Haytham as a main character would never work for the narrative since he is way too strong a personality. He has his own ideas and opinions, makes up his own plans and acts accordingly.

Unlike Connor, who is not only heavily influenceable but also has almost no opinion of his own, nor a plan. He is a pawn, a simpleton used by all kinds of people throughout the game to do their dirty work. This, of course, drives the narrative forwards and results in actual missions, but still.

Haytham would tell Revere to fuck off and ride his own damn horse.

Haytham as a main character would never work for the narrative since he is way too strong a personality. He has his own ideas and opinions, makes up his own plans and acts accordingly.

Unlike Connor, who is not only heavily influenceable but also has almost no opinion of his own, nor a plan. He is a pawn, a simpleton used by all kinds of people throughout the game to do their dirty work. This, of course, drives the narrative forwards and results in actual missions, but still.

Haytham would tell Revere to fuck off and ride his own damn horse.

that would have probably be or the better. Fucking rally car style directions on a horse in a world where there barely are any roads??

And i've played radiant historia, haytham could work in a game as a mc.

KingKong

Um so are there any platforming missions like the tombs in old games? The closest has been that Desmond mission but it was super easy

Amir0x

Banned
Um so are there any platforming missions like the tombs in old games? The closest has been that Desmond mission but it was super easy

IF you find peg legs trinkets, they unlock missions that are the closest approximation to those tombs.

But mostly, they don't exist in any comparable form, yet another sad empty hole in the amazing package the AC games were building toward in the previous incarnations. Why is ACIII such a mess, why :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying the PC version of game--the atmosphere is top notch and the graphics are amazing. Seriously, this might be my favorite game this year in terms of visuals. Does any other game do SSAO so well? With that said, it feels like there is a lot of missing content with the Connor stuff... Most recently was in Sequence 9 where
Connor encounters Haytham in the abandoned church and they talk as if they both know each other. If this is their first time meeting in person, that sure was a weird exchange...

Also, so far I'm not finding any reason to do any of the side stuff. So far, other than barely introducing the stuff, the game really hasn't pushed me in the direction of completing side content. It feels like even the eagle vision points, which have been a staple of the series, are kind of ignored. The homestead stuff is confusing. Is there anything to gain by sending out trade carts? The monetary gains don't seem particularly high, and I can just go to the general stores and sell my shit anyway, right? I think I liked the system of buying shops and earning money periodically in the ACII series a lot better.

Also, what's up with the ship missions? Some of then are pretty fun, but is there really no reward for any of them, whether in the form of items, money, or interesting story segments?

winstano

Also, so far I'm not finding any reason to do any of the side stuff. So far, other than barely introducing the stuff, the game really hasn't pushed me in the direction of completing side content. It feels like even the eagle vision points, which have been a staple of the series, are kind of ignored. The homestead stuff is confusing. Is there anything to gain by sending out trade carts? The monetary gains don't seem particularly high, and I can just go to the general stores and sell my shit anyway, right? I think I liked the system of buying shops and earning money periodically in the ACII series a lot better.

That and the framerate were my biggest gripes with the game. There's an absolute truckload of extra stuff to do, it's just not explained very well AT ALL during the story. It's been about a year since I played an AC game, a refresher on how to recruit/send out assassins would've been nice, or a tutorial on what the Homestead can bring you.. Anything along those lines would've been great, but instead it smacks of a bunch of people throwing things in with the attitude of "Oh well, this is there, I understand it, who cares if anyone else does?".

The trading stuff does get you an enormous amount of money, but you need to be using Naval convoys for this. Kill beavers, craft a Naval convoy (You need to build your Homestead up to do this), upgrade the capacity and send off a full convoy of beaver pelts. Voila, £10k+ every time.

Also, what's up with the ship missions? Some of then are pretty fun, but is there really no reward for any of them, whether in the form of items, money, or interesting story segments?

The Privateer missions reduce the risk that your naval convoys take when trading. The other ones (The Templar branded ones etc) have a couple of interesting story beats in them.

I'm really enjoying this despite the obvious flaws, sunk 27+ hours into it as it stands, which is rare for me. Mopping up side quests has proven pretty fun, and the homestead stuff is surprisingly good as a little story! Love the Naval missions too.

Has anyone gotten stuck at the spot in sequence 2 where you have to shoot the powder kegs? I tried googling the problem, found some other people with the problem, but none of their fixes worked. I tried turning on the hud, didn't work, tried restarting the mission, didn't work. I can't even equip my pistol to try to shoot, extremely frustrating.

The screen says "Press LT to AIM. It increases your range". I press LT and then Y to shoot the pistol, but nothing happens. I tried mashing every combination of buttons, but he still won't shoot the pistol, and it says it has 7 ammo remaining. This is so frustrating and I've only played for a little bit, good thing I only rented the game :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Has anyone gotten stuck at the spot in sequence 2 where you have to shoot the powder kegs? I tried googling the problem, found some other people with the problem, but none of their fixes worked. I tried turning on the hud, didn't work, tried restarting the mission, didn't work. I can't even equip my pistol to try to shoot, extremely frustrating.

The screen says "Press LT to AIM. It increases your range". I press LT and then Y to shoot the pistol, but nothing happens. I tried mashing every combination of buttons, but he still won't shoot the pistol, and it says it has 7 ammo remaining. This is so frustrating and I've only played for a little bit, good thing I only rented the game :(

You have to aim at the kegs on the floor in front of the other powder kegs, otherwise you cannot aim and/or shoot.

Everyone experienced this very same issue, good sir. This is your first introduction to ACIII not explaining things.

You have to aim at the kegs on the floor in front of the other powder kegs, otherwise you cannot aim and/or shoot.

Everyone experienced this very same issue, good sir. This is your first introduction to ACIII not explaining things.

Ok, I finally figured it out, I'm playing on kind of a small, crappy TV and apparently when you aim with LT a really small, faint white reticle shows up. That has to be hovered over the small kegs in front of the cart. I didn't notice the white reticle before. Thanks for the help! :)

Dartastic

Is it just me, or is going incognito way harder in this game? I'm on the Wii u, and I a)don't have any money at the start to bribe people, and b) the map won't display wanted posters for me to take down. This is making the game way more frustrating for me than the older ones.

Also, when is that patch due to be up?

God this game is frustrating. I spent the first couple of hours in absolute bliss playing with the new controls - one button free-running, no more random jumps into empty air, fights that don't start with me mashing the 'lock-on' button and praying Ezio will pull out his sword in time. Haytham and Connor are so gloriously agile; with a flick of the analogue stick they'll juke like Wei Shen, whereas Altair and Ezio have always handled like cargo ships. You can sprint headlong into a crowd and Haytham will just slip between people like the free-runner you've always wanted to be, rather than initiating the thirty-second-long tripping and falling animation from the old games. It's absolutely glorious.

My elation lasted until the mission where Haytham puts on a redcoat disguise and has to rescue a bunch of native slaves from Silas' base. Oh shit, that guy saw me! Better hide in the grass... hide... in the grass... now. NOW. What the fuck Haytham why aren't you hiding? This is about the time I realized that hiding spots in this game only work when you're already hidden, and every couple of hours the game was going to make me play a terrible instant-fail stealth mission that the controls and mechanics just aren't good enough to make enjoyable. You can't cross huge distances quickly like Batman and Corvo, and there's no darkness mechanic to hide like Garrett, so as soon as things go bad in Assassin's Creed you're just plain fucked.

What makes it worse is that the 'hiding' mechanics aren't under your control. You just steer Haytham at a hiding spot and hope he'll hide. To a certain extent every mechanic in AC is out of your control, with huge animation priority on everything and a control scheme that makes you basically point and wait, but at least you aren't usually punished with instant failure. These stealth missions are so incredibly infuriating, because I never feel like it's my fault when I fail. Haytham decides not to respond to my controls, or an NPC freaks, or the game just screws me over for no reason. And it makes it so much worse when I know I could singlehandedly murder every single man stationed at this fort if I needed to, but the game's forcing me to crouch in grass that I'm clearly visible through just because some game designer decided it had to be that way.

I just got through a series of missions introducing me to the game's notoriety system, and I was so close to just quitting immediately. I don't want to know about your terrible notoriety mechanics. I don't want to do any of that shit. Running around on rooftops and murdering dudes at full speed is the best part of the game, and all the notoriety system does is punish you for that. It's like Ubisoft resents you enjoying the fun parts of their games. In Revelations your notoriety meter filled up by one quarter for every business you bought, and when it was full you had to play their godawful Tower Defence game. When you reach full notoriety in AC3 guards will attack you on sight, and there are five guards on every corner in the city who are all linked to the hivemind. Why would I want to play that game?
This sums up how I'm starting to feel about it. There HAS to be a better way and I'm just playing shitty. Right?

Top Bottom