• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Finally finished the story. What a way to end the game, damn. Is there a spoiler thread by any chance?

The game is good, but you can definitely beat the whole thing without investing in your homestead (which I thought was fun), leveling your recruits (I used them once or twice?), or buying new weapons (tomahawk and bow/pistol all day). No really, it's all fluff. Maybe you'll benefit from a bigger quiver or cartridge pouch, but for what? You can dispose of everybody by just countering everything. =/ It did provide some variety in countering, though, at least.

In all, I think I invested about 40 hours, so I got my money's worth. Very satisfied with the Connor side of the story, though. Nice epilogue. :)

Also, screw those optional objectives. Seriously. No fun.

I wish I had ignored those, like I did for Brohood and Revelations. For some reason I made the decision to do them. Many of them were just silly. So, instead of sinking the enemy ships as fast as possible, my ancestor damaged them just enough to reveal their weak point, then shot that. Just to keep it fun I guess. Also some of those things you have to do are never taught to the player, such as "Musket Air Assassinations". That came up and I was like "the hell?"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How many sequences are there in total?

I just started sequence 10 and according to Steam I've been playing for 26 hours.

Today I went heavily on the side stuff, building up my homestead and scouring Boston. But damn... there is just so much side stuff. Looking at all of the feathers and treasure chests in the Frontier and New York, I don't think I can do all of this.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit despite some annoyances and weird issues with bugs, but I may just power through to the end if I'm getting close.

Bladenic

How many sequences are there in total?

I just started sequence 10 and according to Steam I've been playing for 26 hours.

Today I went heavily on the side stuff, building up my homestead and scouring Boston. But damn... there is just so much side stuff. Looking at all of the feathers and treasure chests in the Frontier and New York, I don't think I can do all of this.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit despite some annoyances and weird issues with bugs, but I may just power through to the end if I'm getting close.

12 sequences, plus a super short Desmond part at the end. Honestly you could probably finish the main story in 2-3 hours from where you're at if you just do it straight through. Game felt a lot shorter to me than the 2 and B in the main story, I could be wrong about the actual length though. But yeah, if you power through you'll be done in 3 hours max.

Do the PS360 versions analog sticks react to small movement or do you need to go almost full tilt to run/move the camera?

I noticed that on the Wii U version I rented and cant for the life of me remember if the previous games, which i no longer own, were like that or not or if its an AC3 thing.

Do the PS360 versions analog sticks react to small movement or do you need to go almost full tilt to run/move the camera?

I noticed that on the Wii U version I rented and cant for the life of me remember if the previous games, which i no longer own, were like that or not or if its an AC3 thing.
Yes, the subtler the tilt, the slower the walk. Been like that in the other games too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You're in for some disappointment

Full game spoilers

How great would it have been if you played the whole game as Haytham and the Templar reveal only came at the end of the game, instead of the end of the prologue. He was a much more interesting character than Connor and Charles and was really killed off too easily

The fact that he's not is one of my biggest issues with the game. Connor is utterly bland, lacking personality, charisma or charm of any kind.

:( :( ....

Haytham spinoff? maybe?

anyway, just arrived in Boston and already noticed the first meh gameplay decision. I can kill Redcoats. WHY would I

:( :( ....

Haytham spinoff? maybe?

I'd rather have a sequel next year in which you play a Templar, who in the animus plays someone who existed around JW Booth, (Templar) themed around the Civil War and ultimately the assassination of Lincoln.

They could reuse a lot of assets while having a different backdrop (Civil War)

Eideka

Banned
Damn, this game looks absolutely incredible at 1080p/60fps. :)

In times like these I don't mind a PC version being delayed when the result is that satisfactory.

Nemesis_

I know it was relatively minor, but I'm surprised they never touched on characters like Laetitia England within the Abstergo / the Templars.

Laetitia_England.png

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'd rather have a sequel next year in which you play a Templar, who in the animus plays someone who existed around JW Booth, (Templar) themed around the Civil War and ultimately the assassination of Lincoln.

They could reuse a lot of assets while having a different backdrop (Civil War)

that would be good indeed, although maybe a expansion would be enough for that setting/story

I'd love to see AC in England, though, around Haytham's years. you could meet people like the real Guy Fawkes (the "V" for Vendetta mask, ), or just an altogether story about Jack the Ripper being a Templar, Freemasonry being a branch of the order, and Sherlock Holmes doing consulting work for the Assassins (lol)

Midou

They're just pointless to me. 98% of the time I can grab an Almanac page before it even moves two steps

but no way is anything worse than the Tower Defense crap in the last AC game :p

Yes. Thankfully I only did Tower Defense a single time outside the tutorial, it's pretty easy to avoid full notoriety for extended periods of time. It was a pretty awful idea though, even on paper.

On another note, would rather next game be a different assassin and during the french revolution, which is soon after. Paris would be a return to nice climbable European town.

SJRB

Gold Member
Almanac pages are the worst thing in the entire series

My problem with the almanac pages is that the controls work against you most of the time.

Like with anything related to the controls in the entire franchise the freerunning works fine up intil the moment you have to race and/or cannot afford missteps. When you are under pressure the entire mechanism falls apart because of its clunkiness.

eshwaaz

I do somewhat agree, though haytham's personality is a bit too intense for a game-length main character, Connor is a bit underwhelming. I suppose the idea is to make him more like the player, and to not give him too strong of an opinion one way or another, but it does end up being a bit boring. Ezio was a perfect middle-ground.

It is a bit confusing when Connor has some strong lashings out towards Achelies that don't seem to fit him much.

Absolutely. Achilles is the one person that deserves Connor's respect, yet he gets more outright anger from Connor than any of the villains do. There's just some really poor storytelling all around.

Linius

Bah, I need to find a courrier to take down and they just won't pop up. Not even in the area's some people on Youtube recommend. I don't feel like running around for hours. Same goes for convoys in the frontier, still need that achievement for looting one without killing any of the guards.

I guess I'll just leave Ass Creed be at 84% sync and 100% animus data. I had a fun 40 hours with the game but it's time to move on to Far Cry 3 next week.

Linius

I found all the almanac pages, but got fucked by the glitch that leaves it at 89%.

It was not something they felt like addressing with the patch.

Lots of statistics are fucked. Aquila is a 2% in my game, but I have bought every single upgrade. Also, that fast travel point at monmouth still isn't fixed. It won't appear on the map.

Finished the game few days ago.... what can I say? it is a good game, but it's my less favorite in the series.

The settings and the atmosphere and the OST were far far faaaaaar below the series standard IMO....

I feel a little depressed because of that, but what can I say.... it's an AC game which mean I will spend 50+ hours in it.

and btw.... I liked the ending :p

I hope we see another AC trilogy in the next gen as amazing as ezio's .

Amir0x

Banned
Yes. Thankfully I only did Tower Defense a single time outside the tutorial, it's pretty easy to avoid full notoriety for extended periods of time. It was a pretty awful idea though, even on paper.

On another note, would rather next game be a different assassin and during the french revolution, which is soon after. Paris would be a return to nice climbable European town.

The worst thing wasn't even the game itself, which was pretty bad, it was that people would CONSTANTLY be attacking your territory all the time, and you had to play through one of them tedious modes each time. I was just grinding my teeth by the end.

I am enjoying it far more on the PC than I did trying to play it on the PS3. What can I say, I'm a bred in the bone PC gamer, even with games that 90% of people would say work better with controllers.

Xander51

12 sequences, plus a super short Desmond part at the end. Honestly you could probably finish the main story in 2-3 hours from where you're at if you just do it straight through. Game felt a lot shorter to me than the 2 and B in the main story, I could be wrong about the actual length though. But yeah, if you power through you'll be done in 3 hours max.

You're correct, it's a super-short game compared to the others in the series, at least as far as the main story is concerned.

Just as I started to get into the Connor story, we go back to the the modern-day thread, which seems to be taking a hard turn towards stupid at the beginning of the next sequence. Seq 11
Desmond's dad goes off by himself and gets captured? WOW I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING

The way the modern day segments are "framed" is just done so terribly. They feel completely disconnected from the rest of the game. Hell, at least give us whatever the video game equivalent of an establishing shot is before dropping us in someplace. It just feels incredibly rushed. Van sequence where you can't even see out the windows... cut to interior... level... cut back to van... they just forgot about that whole "presentation" thing in 3.

Edit: Seq 11
After the surprisingly good comics, it's a huge letdown that they wasted Cross in this game. A couple pointless appearances and then they just have you unceremoniously off him.

God, this just gets dumber and dumber. Still seq 11
So Desmond has the Apple. Which can control people, as we've seen for thousands of years. Vidic wants Desmond to come in and hand it over in person. It didn't occur to him that Desmond could use the Apple to kill everyone? LIKE IT'S BEEN DOING FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS?
Did Ubisoft just fire all of its smart people at some point?

Medalion

Banned
I am really enjoying this game, way more than I thought I would

The game and story is engrossing, I played this for hours and could see myself finishing this game first of my Wii-U collection

_Isaac

Man. I've been trying and I can't make sense of this Homestead system. I keep wanting to craft and trade stuff, but I can't craft anything because I only have one artisan, and he's at level one. I can only make barrels. Does this have to do with the Encyclopedia of the common man or something?

exYle

Man. I've been trying and I can't make sense of this Homestead system. I keep wanting to craft and trade stuff, but I can't craft anything because I only have one artisan, and he's at level one. I can only make barrels. Does this have to do with the Encyclopedia of the common man or something?

Homestead mission appear in Boston, NY, and the Frontier. Go out and complete them. In fact, I recommend that every time you start a new sequence, look at your map for each of the 4 areas and do all the Homestead missions.

Clevinger

So who are those guys who are sometimes running around (away from you) with a little icon above their head that you're (I guess?) supposed to stop? Because I just killed one in a fort I liberated and nothing happened except all the patriots freaking out and attacking me.

_Isaac

Homestead mission appear in Boston, NY, and the Frontier. Go out and complete them. In fact, I recommend that every time you start a new sequence, look at your map for each of the 4 areas and do all the Homestead missions.

I've done a bunch of homestead missions and still nothing. There actually aren't any homestead missions at all on any of the maps anymore. I bet I probably missed something important. Point of no return kind of thing?

So who are those guys who are sometimes running around (away from you) with a little icon above their head that you're (I guess?) supposed to stop? Because I just killed one in a fort I liberated and nothing happened except all the patriots freaking out and attacking me.

I think those are thieves/pickpockets. They have a little red icon above their head right? They're nothing important. I think you just tackle them and you'll get back the money they stole or something.

Linius

Those guys are the couriers I was complaining about a few posts back. They pop up very rarely and you have to tackle (NOT KILL) one for one of the club challenges. I didn't know this back when I saw one of these guys run by so I killed him. Now I need to find another one :(

I've done a bunch of homestead missions and still nothing. There actually aren't any homestead missions at all on any of the maps anymore. I bet I probably missed something important. Point of no return kind of thing?

You can only do certain Homestead missions in their corresponding sequences. If you miss them you have to wait till you've finished the game. So yeah, do them while you can is the best advice here.

exYle

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do a "bunch" of Homestead missions (well, depends on your definition of 'bunch') and still only have one artisan. Remember that some artisans do crafting and others only make produce (for example, the woodman and the lumberers, respectively). Also remember that you can't see any optional missions in the map UNLESS you are in the specific area, so you have to fast travel to each area and check for Homestead missions. Also, to the extent of my knowledge, Homestead missions do not expire. I did the majority of them in Sequence 10.

_Isaac

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do a "bunch" of Homestead missions (well, depends on your definition of 'bunch') and still only have one artisan. Remember that some artisans do crafting and others only make produce (for example, the woodman and the lumberers, respectively). Also remember that you can't see any optional missions in the map UNLESS you are in the specific area, so you have to fast travel to each area and check for Homestead missions. Also, to the extent of my knowledge, Homestead missions do not expire. I did the majority of them in Sequence 10.

Oh I didn't know you had to be in the region to see those missions. I'll definitely have to go check it out. By a bunch I mean like ten. I think maybe I must've done the produce homestead ones mostly because I have plenty of wood.

Linius

Oh I didn't know you had to be in the region to see those missions. I'll definitely have to go check it out. By a bunch I mean like ten. I think maybe I must've done the produce homestead ones mostly because I have plenty of wood.

I think you're confusing some things. Every Homestead charachter has like three to five missions to do. So if you have done ten by now you should have more people in your Homestead.

exYle

Off the top of my head, you'll eventually get farmers, innkeepers, a pastor, a tailor, a hunter, a smith, and a miner. If I recall correctly, you can only recruit the pastor within the Homestead, everyone else is found elsewhere.

I think you're confusing some things. Every Homestead charachter has like three to five missions to do. So if you have done ten by now you should have more people in your Homestead.

He's not necessarily confused. He could have two very high level artisans.

_Isaac

Maybe I am confused. I do have a bunch of people in my homestead. I have the miner. I have that farmer couple that's always trying to have babies. I have the the hunter lady (that one feels so long ago). I have the two guys always fighting each other. I feel like have done quite a few. I guess I just haven't done many artisan ones.

He's not necessarily confused. He could have two very high level artisans.
I actually only have a low level Lance. I think you guys are right. I only have producers maybe. I think I am somewhat confused.

I also just fast travelled around and I found one homestead mission in Davenport Homestead, so that's a start.

exYle

Maybe I am confused. I do have a bunch of people in my homestead. I have the miner. I have that farmer couple that's always trying to have babies. I have the the hunter lady (that one feels so long ago). I have the two guys always fighting each other. I feel like have done quite a few. I guess I just haven't done many artisan ones.

I actually only have a low level Lance. I think you guys are right. I only have producers maybe. I think I am somewhat confused.

I also just fast travelled around and I found one homestead mission in Davenport Homestead, so that's a start.

Yeah, those guys are all producers. The tailor and smith will really help out when you find them.

Didn't realize until now, but the Ubiworkshop edition (which I officially now feel downright silly spending $100 on) apparently doesn't come with the Benedict Arnold missions.

Are they worth $5? Going on previous AC DLC I'd assume it's a resounding "no," but I'm still intrigued.

I finished the story today. My total completion is at about 80%. I've been doing so much side stuff. This game is great. I'm going to try to finish up the naval stuff today. The ending of the story was pretty crazy. I guess it
sets up for new games? I haven't finished the hacking stuff yet. Still trying to understand it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Btw, for idiots like me who only discovered this AFTER completing the game, you can zoom out completely from your current map with the left trigger, and select/zoom in into other cities to quick travel there.
I always went to the nearest port to then travel to another city. What a waste of time, not even mentioning the fact that I had to enter all the zones to check for the secondary mission.
<- stupid :)

Oh man, picking apart a convoy from the cover of the forest is absolutely amazing. It's also great when you drop them one by one, starting from the rear, unnoticed by their compadres mere inches ahead of them.

What is the arrow hold limit and is there a way to maximize it?

Sequence 11, 4 out of 6 assassin recruits, no more available missions in Boston or NYC that I can see on the map. Am I somehow just missing the last two, or do they show up later? And what the hell is with Liberation Contract icons in cities, pointing to bars that only have board games in them? Edit: Oh, it's glitched crap that doesn't show up on the map? wtf

Amir0x

Banned
Sequence 11, 4 out of 6 assassin recruits, no more available missions in Boston or NYC that I can see on the map. Am I somehow just missing the last two, or do they show up later? And what the hell is with Liberation Contract icons in cities, pointing to bars that only have board games in them?

There are several Liberation missions that do not appear on the map as the others do unless you walk by the events happening.

I think they include the eviction missions, where you walk by a house and need to help out the owner. Also I think the "beat up the merchant" for the kids shit is also hidden unless you pass by.

You have to go to areas of the map you haven't filled in yet and methodically check until you see someone asking for help or arguing with someone at their front door. It didn't take me too long to find with a little effort. I know one of them is in the upper right hand corner of NY, not all the way to the upper right hand but fairly close, where you start getting some homes with farms around them. You'll run into one of the eviction missions that don't appear on the map there.

MrBS

My optical out headphones are not working for this game (ps3). What is up with that? Is this a common occurrence?
Game defaults to DTS output if you have that as an option for optical out so maybe your headset doesn't support it? That's my guess ;)

exYle

Oh man, picking apart a convoy from the cover of the forest is absolutely amazing. It's also great when you drop them one by one, starting from the rear, unnoticed by their compadres mere inches ahead of them.

What is the arrow hold limit and is there a way to maximize it?

The arrow hold limit, at the start, is 8 arrows. You can increase it to 12 max, I think.

Noi

I thought that was cool until one time where I literally walked behind a convoy right outside it's red zone, and killed all the guards one by one by just pulling them away from the group with rope darts. The rest of the guards were kind enough to stop moving but keep looking forward while I dragged the enemy to me. Kinda broke the illusion for me.

There are several Liberation missions that do not appear on the map as the others do unless you walk by the events happening.

I think they include the eviction missions, where you walk by a house and need to help out the owner. Also I think the "beat up the merchant" for the kids shit is also hidden unless you pass by.

You have to go to areas of the map you haven't filled in yet and methodically check until you see someone asking for help or arguing with someone at their front door. It didn't take me too long to find with a little effort. I know one of them is in the upper right hand corner of NY, not all the way to the upper right hand but fairly close, where you start getting some homes with farms around them. You'll run into one of the eviction missions that don't appear on the map there.

Ah, awesome. Thanks man.

Top Bottom